TTMM connection

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I dunno if it's too small but that would be a nice avatar.

Had to read that twice, reminded me of what an old GF once said :D

Probably a better one then my squirrel, but if I forget to take it down and somehow the Packers wind up winning the Super Bowl, I'm going to look even.....Dumber then those two :D

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No it wasnt. Just like it wasn't the first time he did it.
Sometimes this team is a real head scratcher....
Donald Driver shows that he still had it and they bench him making him retire before he was quite done.
Get rid of Woodson.
Let go of James Jones.
Kuhhn is gone.
So is Sitton.
In the mean time, keep players that may not be as good.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Donald Driver shows that he still had it and they bench him making him retire before he was quite done.
Get rid of Woodson.
Let go of James Jones.
Kuhhn is gone.
So is Sitton.

Out with the old and in with the new. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesn't. Nobody ever wants to be accused of hanging on to something too long and think a brand new shiny one is an upgrade. Look at what some men do when they hit 50 with cars and women.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Out with the old and in with the new. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesn't. Nobody ever wants to be accused of hanging on to something too long and think a brand new shiny one is an upgrade. Look at what some men do when they hit 50 with cars and women.
Which is what happens to me next month!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong on this...
And then didn't Jones do really well?
I thought he did.
And then the Packers let him go.
Was that really the right thing to do?
Yes... Jones was a good player for the Packers, but his time was over... he was not fast enough anymore and his play declined noticeably over the year. The fact that nobody else signed him should tell you something.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes... Jones was a good player for the Packers, but his time was over... he was not fast enough anymore and his play declined noticeably over the year. The fact that nobody else signed him should tell you something.
Yeah, I wasn't aware of his stats and didn't pay attention of him from beginning to end.
But would he still have been good enough to play? I mean, is everyone else better than him or would he have been better than anyone else to have stayed on?

D

Deleted member 6794

Correct me if I'm wrong on this...
And then didn't Jones do really well?
I thought he did.
And then the Packers let him go.
Was that really the right thing to do?

Jones played pretty well early last year but steadily declined over the course of the season. It was the right decision to not re-sign him.

Yes. But that's a reaction to a problem. He waits for the player to be released late into the season. Just like Flynn. Those players weren't even good enough to make it on other teams. That's tells you how good the talent we have is

I agree that it takes Thompson too long to address positions of need. I don't include last season's Packers receiving corps in that list though as there was no way for TT to know Nelson would be lost for the year during the preseason resukting in the entire unit struggling.

Get rid of Woodson.
Let go of James Jones.
Kuhhn is gone.
So is Sitton.

While you might have a valud point with some of your examples Driver should have been let go a year early.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

TT would be gone... His drafts have been atrocious for someone that is lauded as the best around. We have been trying to fix the defense for what seems like 20 years. Let's take a look at hits and misses in the top 5 rounds of the draft on defense.

Hit or at least serviceable (I'm leaving out 2015 and 2016 since they are so new yet)
1. Clay 1st
2. AJ Hawk (though still debatable consider you want a difference maker at top 5 picks. But Ill give him it, AJ was consistent) 1st
3. Raji 1st
4. Ha Ha 1st
5. Nick Collins 2nd
6. Burnett 3rd
7. Mike Daniels 4th
8. Hyde 5th

Misses
1. Justin Harrell 1st
2. Nick Perry (for Pick 28 he is useless without Clay) 1st
3. Datone Jones 1st
4. Jerel Worthy 2nd
5. Pat Lee 2nd
6. Casey Hayward 2nd (Although he is having a career year with a different team)
7. Mike Neal 2nd
8. Abdul Hodge 3rd
9. Aaron Rouse 3rd
10. Khyri Thornton 3rd
11. Jeremy Thompson 4th
12. Davon House 4th
13. Jerron McMillian 4th
14. Will Blackmon 4th
15. Carl Bradford 4th
16. Marviel Underwood 4th
17. Mike Hawkins 5th
18. Terrell Manning 5th
19. Josh Boyd 5th

So out of the defensive hits 4 first rounders, 1 second rounder, third, fourth and fifth. And I think i am being kind with Hyde putting him in the hit column.

And for misses he has 3 first rounders, 4 second rounders, 3 third rounders, 6 fourth rounders, 3 fifth rounders.

So his percentage in 10+ years for drafting defense is.
57% in the first
25% in the second
33% in the third
16% in the fourth
33% in the fifth

Overall he has a 42% success rate with me being quite nice about some of the picks. So he is right on his assessment of talent less than half of the time. I really believe this persona got built on the Rodgers/Collins draft, then blown out of proportion with the Raji/Matthews draft. He's really middle of the pack drafting at best, as he has wasted more than his share of picks in 10 years.

And if you ask me, this team is no more talented now, than it was in 2005 when he took over. That to me is true test of a GM.

Your analysis of TTs draft history is less than meaningless without the same analysis for every other GM in the league. I say less than meaningless because its a highly subjective analysis designed to do nothing more than prove your point. You know that the 2015 and 2016 drafts have a lot of talent so you conveniently leave them out. I'll bet you a million dollars that had Randall and Rollins been cut already they would be on your list. Since they could turn out to be hits you discount them by saying they are too young.

I'm sure it just killed you to put Hawk as a hit and I don't know what more you want out of a 5th rounder than what Hyde has produced.

I'll wait for your analysis of the other 32 GMs before I comment any further.

I used Pro Football Reference's career approximate value (AV) to come up with a ranking of all teams draft performance since Thompson took over in 2005. I'm well aware this isn't a perfect metric but it's the best I was able to find.

According to those numbers the Packers are ranked first in the entire league in total AV by all draft picks with a combined number of 1,442 leading the second placed 49ers (1,251) by nearly 200 points.

In addition Green Bay ranks fourth in the league in average AV per draft pick at 13.87 behind the Saints (14.75), Panthers (14.23) and Broncos (14.19).

If anyone is interested in more detailled information let me know.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I used Pro Football Reference's career approximate value (AV) to come up with a ranking of all teams draft performance since Thompson took over in 2005. I'm well aware this isn't a perfect metric but it's the best I was able to find.

According to those numbers the Packers are ranked first in the entire league in total AV by all draft picks with a combined number of 1,442 leading the second placed 49ers (1,251) by nearly 200 points.

In addition Green Bay ranks fourth in the league in average AV per draft pick at 13.87 behind the Saints (14.75), Panthers (14.23) and Broncos (14.19).

I'd be interested in how they determine AV especially how that is correlated to draft position.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I'm not really shocked by the rankings of the Packers in these two categories not only because of Thompson's draft and develop philosophy but because of former Packer ddraft picks now playing on other NFL teams. Some of whom that I'm surprised to still see playing. My biggest surprise though is that we've achieved these rankings despite almost always drafting in the bottom 25% of every round. Drafting 6th compared to 26th in every round for years on end is a humongous difference overall in talent availability overall.

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly feel that anything short of a strong playoff run gets MM fired and anything short of a playoff appearance gets TT fired.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more you think about it, the more I'd agree TT probably should be held accountable for not using every resource at his disposal for building depth on this team.

While Ron Wolf certainly wasn't going to break the bank on high priced trades or FA's, he obviously brought in Reggie White, and even Andre Rison who was known as a big troublemaker, someone I think TT would not even remotely consider bringing to the Packers today, and then of course Ahman Green. I think you build the core players through the draft, but today's game is too full of injuries not to use the other 2 channels.

Latest posts