When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 6794

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/p...hompson-guide-8-rules-impatience-why-so-quiet

Thoughts?

I tend to agree. Everyone wants to splash some big names, but almost every point made by the author rings true, and has shown historically to be effective.

Thompson overpaying to re-sign the Packers own players is equally terrible for the salary cap than doing it for free agents. Taking a look at this offseason there's absolutely no doubt he has done that excessively, eapecially considering he used the money on rotational players, backups and a mediocre kicker.

In addition I don't buy the crap about inside linebacker not being an important position either. If it would be true why did the coaching staff feel the need to move the best defensive player on the team there because we were in dire need of an upgrade???

I think a lot of the Thompson can't do no wrong crowd uses it as a lame argument to for some reason justify him not being able to adequately address the position for four years running.

D

Deleted member 6794

It is painfully obvious you dont listen to anyone who is very knowledgable on the subject.

Well, how many of these knowledgable experts had the Panthers as the favourite to win the NFC last season??? Or how many of them picked the Packers to win the Super Bowl in 2010???

It's great for you if you're satisfied with the Packers being picked as favourites for the Lombardi Trophy during the preseason but it doesn't mean anything at all.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I said on some level it's similar. Because I know the two can't truly be equal

let's do it this way.

Packers vs Vikings in NFCCG

You rather play them with AP or with out AP?

I'm pretty sure every Packer fan would say with out AP.. Thats only way I can explain my opinion.

Again I KNOW a mvp performance by Rodgers is 100 times different than a mvp performance by AP

If no one agrees with me, that's OK...

Just let it go. You needn't nitpick your own posts in order to make it seem like you've got a point. If, as you finally say, the question is whether we'd prefer to play ANY without their best player, the answer is obviously Yes. That's the only level at which it's similar.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just let it go. You needn't nitpick your own posts in order to make it seem like you've got a point. If, as you finally say, the question is whether we'd prefer to play ANY without their best player, the answer is obviously Yes. That's the only level at which it's similar.
Glad I got your approval to stop.

I couldn't sleep at all for fear that you wouldn't tell me to stop.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition I don't buy the crap about inside linebacker not being an important position either. If it would be true why did the coaching staff feel the need to move the best defensive player on the team there because we were in dire need of an upgrade???
I don't either. A good ILB in a 3-4 needs to be able to do a lot of things. They'll need to cover, clean up behind the D-Line, and shed blocks. In most cases when you have an elite ILB on a team, he has an elite defense behind him.

I hate the idea of trying to marginalize a position on defense and acting like it's fine to try to get by without. Sounds like the nonsense we heard about safety before 2013 about how it's just not that important.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, how many of these knowledgable experts had the Panthers as the favourite to win the NFC last season??? Or how many of them picked the Packers to win the Super Bowl in 2010???

It's great for you if you're satisfied with the Packers being picked as favourites for the Lombardi Trophy during the preseason but it doesn't mean anything at all.

In fairness prior to the 2010 season the Packers were viewed by plenty of experts to be a team with a good chance at winning the SB

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fairness prior to the 2010 season the Packers were viewed by plenty of experts to be a team with a good chance at winning the SB
That they were, but it doesn't fit the narrative, so it's discarded. This notion that Ted can't build a winner is almost comical at this point. Exhibit A would be a Lombardi Trophy in the case, sitting there, as we speak. and #2 would be 2 seasons ago, we were built to win a super bowl, we could have, we should have, they **** the bed at the worst possible moment and didn't. But to have watched that team and that season and say they weren't built to win the championship? I wonder if you even know you're watching football if that is your position. I have to believe most fans could recognize the championship caliber of that team, and if they could, then what was so different between that team and the guys on the field last year? Clearly Ted just got rid of all the good guys right? Major Roster turnover, because of course Ted hates championships. and the rest of us? high on unicorn farts again

D

Deleted member 6794

True, the point remains the same that the experts more often are wrong with their predictions.

That they were, but it doesn't fit the narrative, so it's discarded. This notion that Ted can't build a winner is almost comical at this point. Exhibit A would be a Lombardi Trophy in the case, sitting there, as we speak. and #2 would be 2 seasons ago, we were built to win a super bowl, we could have, we should have, they **** the bed at the worst possible moment and didn't. But to have watched that team and that season and say they weren't built to win the championship? I wonder if you even know you're watching football if that is your position. I have to believe most fans could recognize the championship caliber of that team, and if they could, then what was so different between that team and the guys on the field last year? Clearly Ted just got rid of all the good guys right? Major Roster turnover, because of course Ted hates championships. and the rest of us? high on unicorn farts again

There's no doubt Thompson has build a very succesful team with the Packers, nobody is arguing about that. Actually I'm getting tired of posters being accused to have ever said something like by the TT can't do no wrong because we're not agreeing 100% with his moves.

It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that there are Packers fans agreeing with every move Thompson has made this offseason when it's obvious he overpaid for backups and a mediocre kicker while not addressing the team's biggest weaknesses (that have lacked talent for several seasons running) at all.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Some. Some.

Ahh, the old "I want to win a superbowl and you dont" response. When you lose the logic battle or are just confused, it's a comforting respite.

The fact that experts, with far more experience, perspective, and sources than you cant determine a SB winner should tell you something. A football season is highly dynamic with an infinite number of variables to decide itts outcome. Nobody knows for sure how it will go. Its naive to think signing a FA or 2 will dramatically increase you chance to win a SB or to realize it decreases your chances to win a SB down the road.

All you can hope from a GM is to put you team in a position to win it each year. Which TT has done better than any GM in the NFL and it is a shame some cant appreciate that. To me, it would be analogous to a packer fan posting he wanted to get rid of Aaron Rodgers. There are flaws in his game, he holds the ball too long sometimes. So should the Pack move on from him? And what if said poster worked into many posts his criticism of AR? And every challenge to his position was a, "well I guess you dont want to win a SB".

D

Deleted member 6794

Some. Some.

Ahh, the old "I want to win a superbowl and you dont" response. When you lose the logic battle or are just confused, it's a comforting respite.

The fact that experts, with far more experience, perspective, and sources than you cant determine a SB winner should tell you something. A football season is highly dynamic with an infinite number of variables to decide itts outcome. Nobody knows for sure how it will go. Its naive to think signing a FA or 2 will dramatically increase you chance to win a SB or to realize it decreases your chances to win a SB down the road.

All you can hope from a GM is to put you team in a position to win it each year. Which TT has done better than any GM in the NFL and it is a shame some cant appreciate that. To me, it would be analogous to a packer fan posting he wanted to get rid of Aaron Rodgers. There are flaws in his game, he holds the ball too long sometimes. So should the Pack move on from him? And what if said poster worked into many posts his criticism of AR? And every challenge to his position was a, "well I guess you dont want to win a SB".

Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be one of your strenghts. I didn't mention a single word about you not wanting the Packers to win a Super Bowl or that I want Thompson fired.

While signing free agents doesn't guarantee anything neither does drafting a player. The team not addressing obvious positions of need ensures them being a weakness once again though next season and reduces the chance of winning the Super Bowl.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wimm you keep saying we overpaid for FA yet you are literally the only person I've seen say this while actual analysts praised TT for not going wild in FA. It's ok to have your own opinion, but forgive me if I listen to people who analyze as an actual job instead of passionate fans on a forum. Do I think TT overpaid for Crosby? Yes. Do I think it's the gross detriment you make it sound? No.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't Skip Bayless analyze as an actual job? Again, just because someone gets paid to do something, it doesn't mean they do it well. Heck, Matt Millen got paid to GM the Lions.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wimm you keep saying we overpaid for FA yet you are literally the only person I've seen say this while actual analysts praised TT for not going wild in FA. It's ok to have your own opinion, but forgive me if I listen to people who analyze as an actual job instead of passionate fans on a forum. Do I think TT overpaid for Crosby? Yes. Do I think it's the gross detriment you make it sound? No.

Really, you haven't seen anyone else thinking Thompson overpaid for Guion (slightly), Crosby, Perry and Starks??? It seems you haven't read a ton of posts on the forum on the topic.

I've given my reasons as to why I think those guys have been overpaid and no expert disagreeing with me will change my mind about it.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really, you haven't seen anyone else thinking Thompson overpaid for Guion (slightly), Crosby, Perry and Starks??? It seems you haven't read a ton of posts on the forum on the topic.

I've given my reasons as to why I think those guys have been overpaid and no expert disagreeing with me will change my mind about it.

Like I said, a whole bunch of guys complaining on a fan forum doesn't mean much to me outside of, "huh that's interesting". If you feel they've been overpaid, then that is your right to do so. I just don't agree with it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just interested to know, from my post - do you agree with Bayless, Millen, or "anybody who gets paid to do something"? Which of the complaining fans has a less valid viewpoint than the professionals?

D

Deleted member 6794

Like I said, a whole bunch of guys complaining on a fan forum doesn't mean much to me outside of, "huh that's interesting". If you feel they've been overpaid, then that is your right to do so. I just don't agree with it.

It's fine if you don't agree with me, I just wonder why you don't think the guys I mentioned are overpaid. In addition I wonder if these so called experts even spend close to the time on analyzing the Packers moves as some of us here on the forum.

As some of us have proved with facts Crosby is a mediocre kicker at best (and it has nothing to do with him kicking in cold weather), none of Guion, Perry and Taylor played at least 40% of the team's snaps and Starks is a backup. I don't think any of them were worthy of the contract the Packers signed them to.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's fine if you don't agree with me, I just wonder why you don't think the guys I mentioned are overpaid. In addition I wonder if these so called experts even spend close to the time on analyzing the Packers moves as some of us here on the forum.

As some of us have proved with facts Crosby is a mediocre kicker at best (and it has nothing to do with him kicking in cold weather), none of Guion, Perry and Taylor played at least 40% of the team's snaps and Starks is a backup. I don't think any of them were worthy of the contract the Packers signed them to.

Oh I agree with Crosby being overpaid, but he's the only one. The rest of the signings have been structured in a way that it doesn't affect out cap nearly as much as we first thought. Perry's $5 million is cheaper than the original 5th year option that we would have had to sign for him which was $7 million. Sounds like good business to me.

Just interested to know, from my post - do you agree with Bayless, Millen, or "anybody who gets paid to do something"? Which of the complaining fans has a less valid viewpoint than the professionals?

Yes I know that not everyone who gets paid to do something does it well, however a vast majority of analysts and journalists get access to teams and stats and information that we only could dream of. You are within your God-given right to complain and debate, etc. In my opinion, I put my stock into what an analyst says over a fan. That goes for whether we were making good moves or not.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh I agree with Crosby being overpaid, but he's the only one. The rest of the signings have been structured in a way that it doesn't affect out cap nearly as much as we first thought. Perry's $5 million is cheaper than the original 5th year option that we would have had to sign for him which was $7 million. Sounds like good business to me.

Perry's contract being cheaper than having picked up the fifth year option doesn't make it a good deal. He only played 33.4% of the defensive snaps last season and with Matthews being moved back outside, Datone probably getting snaps there as well and Elliott being an ascending player I don't expect that number to increase. That means the Packers are paying a rotational, backup player $5 million a season. Grossly overpaid.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always thought more knowledge fans of a particular team have a better pulse of the team or might know more than a tv personality that has to cover every topic of every team and doesn't exactly have an interest in the individual team.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to sidetrack anything, but does anyone recall what Lane Taylor did last year? He may have had a couple starts here and there, but I don't recall if or how he did, and I'm not sure what the going rate is for a backup lineman currently.

He stuck out as a gross overpay when I saw his deal, but maybe he really stepped up last year and improved, I don't recall.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to sidetrack anything, but does anyone recall what Lane Taylor did last year? He may have had a couple starts here and there, but I don't recall if or how he did, and I'm not sure what the going rate is for a backup lineman currently.

He stuck out as a gross overpay when I saw his deal, but maybe he really stepped up last year and improved, I don't recall.

I recall saying in his 1st stint he looked good... But after that he seemed to have fallen back some

D

Deleted member 6794

Taylor started two games (at RG @Detroit, LG vs. Minnesota) last season and played a total of 153 offensive snap (13.3%). PFF graded him with 45.5 (out of 100) in pass protection and a 79.4 in run blocking.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question is TT going to fix the obvious holes on the team which he has yet to do or is he going to once again diminish their chances of a championship by sticking to the status quo? Since Finley went down TT has not fixed the TE position. He grosly overreached by picking Rodgers in the third round when the guy is a sixth round talent. The Packers have too many holes to fix with the draft alone. It looks again like the Packers are going to be hamstrung by TT'S negligent attitude towards fixing glaring holes. Trevathon, Green or Fleener would have been an instant upgrade. Their contracts didn't break the bank.

Members online

No members online now.