When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would be absolutely shocked if Thompson thinks that either Barrington or Ryan are even close to being as good of a coverage inside linebacker than Trevathan.

I wish I knew what TT was thinking, but I don't think he will ever share that. You, I and many others have been beating this drum for months "Packers need an ILB (or 2) as well as a TE".....we must not be beating it loud enough for him to hear or TT has another plan.

Some were beating the same drum when we lost Williams and House last year and wanted a FA CB signed immediately, but TT figured it out. Now granted, the ILB and TE positions seemed to have been glaring areas of needs for a few years now, so its left most of us wondering WTF is up in TT land.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be absolutely shocked if Thompson thinks that either Barrington or Ryan are even close to being as good of a coverage inside linebacker than Trevathan.
ILBs do more than pass cover. Getting a complete player is more important than selecting a player based on a single aspect of the necessary skill set.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last offseason, 531 free agents changed teams. Only two were selected to the Pro Bowl (guard Mike Iupati and cornerback Darrelle Revis) and two more went to the game as alternates (guard Richie Incognito and quarterback Tyrod Taylor).

I'm all for signing free agents just like the next guy but to start throwing around all that money the first few days of free agency is foolish. See if the market develops a Woodson or Peppers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible that they did their homework on Trevathan earlier than this and decided he was not a good fit for the team in ways other than athletic prowess?
No not possible.... only Ted being to stubborn is only reason

D

Deleted member 6794

ILBs do more than pass cover. Getting a complete player is more important than selecting a player based on a single aspect of the necessary skill set.

Trevathan is better stopping the run than Barrington and Ryan as well. The Packers are in desperate need of adding an inside linebacker capable of covering RBs and TEs though and should be OK with either starting on of Barrington or Ryan at the other spot.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be OK with Ryan starting at one inside linebacker spot but we desperately need to get a better coverage ILB to play opposite of him.

Completely agree. I actually would like that ILB group quite a bit. I think Ryan is going to take a nice jump next year. But like you said we desperately need a coverage ILB. It is a shame to because with a good NT and good coverage ILB this defense doesnt have many holes. One of the better secondaries we have had in a while and it is young. Peppers, Clay, Perry, and others are a solid OLB group especially if Capers can utilize Jones in a little out there. Daniels is very good inside. 2 spots away from being a really solid defense.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then that would be two SB with unknown formula..

Not to mention a bad pass from HoF Brett that stopped them from going to a third?

And a complete meltdown of Def and Off from going to a 4th?

I want Ted to fill holes this year... Trouble is with less than 20 mill... And off lineman coming due, along with Neal, that cap space is pretty low..

Not trying to create drama...

But two times he had a team on brink of the SB... But players and coaches screwed it up

I agree with what you say however, I am just completely baffled that the guy was not even contacted. It just does not make any sense. And admittedly I am certainly overreacting a bit but man...

We have been horrible at ilb for what 4 Years now? So bad that we moved a premiere olb inside for 2 years?

D

Deleted member 6794

Last offseason, 531 free agents changed teams. Only two were selected to the Pro Bowl (guard Mike Iupati and cornerback Darrelle Revis) and two more went to the game as alternates (guard Richie Incognito and quarterback Tyrod Taylor).

I'm all for signing free agents just like the next guy but to start throwing around all that money the first few days of free agency is foolish. See if the market develops a Woodson or Peppers.

I don´t think Pro Bowl berths are a great way to measure a free agent´s success. There´s no doubt a lot of these signings don´t work out but there are a lot of examples of a FA signing significantly upgrade a team as well.

I agree to not spend crazy money to acquire some of these guys but would prefer to selectively address positions of need with second- or third-tier free agents.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isnt it possible that the Packers did not believe Trevathan was as good of a player as many fans believe? The fact he didnt get a big payday sort of shows he isnt valued as highly by nf GMs. It is difficult to judge a guy when he is surrounded by a lot of talent. Maybe the Packers dont believe he is much of an upgrade over Barrington and Ryan.
That is certainly entirely possible which is why I had that little disclaimer at the bottom of my post. But we have a repeated pattern with TT and free agency, so please excuse me if I am at this point a bit incredulous if TT even considers FA.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Foolishly throwing around money like $9 million on an average kicker and OLB?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am usually wary of any player that comes from an overall good defense. Are they a product of the system and players around them, or truly a good player? I'm certainly not saying that you don't find top players on top defenses, just that you should be extra wary. I think that TT is wary of most players scheduled to go in the first week of FA.

Here is an article written by everyone's best friend John Clayton:
The best play in NFL free agency is to be in position to pass.

Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson might take criticism for his hands-off approach to the frenzy of free agency, but the Packers are in the Super Bowl hunt every year. Baltimore Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome mastered the game of turning lost free agents into mounds of compensatory draft picks, and the Ravens just had their first losing season -- an injury-dominated one -- since Kyle Boller was taking snaps. The Pittsburgh Steelers, Seattle Seahawks andCarolina Panthers do their best to stay out of free agency and invest their time drafting players and hitting on street free agents (players who were released before the end of their contracts).
Read more here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...bowl-contenders-sat-sidelines-free-agency-far

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other side it´s silly as well to mostly ignore two out of three methods available to improve a team.

Well, I mean that's part of my point. We have no clue what they're doing behind closed doors. Absolutely no clue. So they didn't pursue Trevathan... does anyone actually think Packers brass didn't know who he was or something?

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, I mean that's part of my point. We have no clue what they're doing behind closed doors. Absolutely no clue. So they didn't pursue Trevathan... does anyone actually think Packers brass didn't know who he was or something?

I actually don´t care what they do behind closed doors. The Packers have been in need of an upgrade of an upgrade at inside linebacker for four years as of now as well as at tight end since Finley got injured. Thompson is the one in charge of making moves to improve those positions but hasn´t been able to and therefore deserves blame for it.

Overall the Packers have been a Super Bowl contender for most of his tenure so he has done a good job but sometimes it takes way too long from him to address positions in obvious needs of an upgrade. In those cases selectively using free agency to do that might be a good idea.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So does the timing of this threads reawakening (after almost 1 1/2 months of quiet) correspond to Trevathan's comments? Or was the pot just simmering to see what TT did in the first few days of the FA period?

As much as I want an upgrade at ILB, not signing Trevathan isn't the end of the world.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we should wait for longer than 2 days of free agency before complaining about him not bringing in an ILB this year.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm no expert on anyone else's players, but the impression I get is folks feel there aren't any upgrades left, so there won't be a free agent ILB this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm no expert on anyone else's players, but the impression I get is folks feel there aren't any upgrades left, so there won't be a free agent ILB this year.

Jerrell Freeman (who's visiting with the Bears today) and Zach Brown are most likely the only inside linebackers left I would be interested in.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just going to start talking to my wall instead of posting here.
Come now. Did you actually expect to read much else besides all the old TT bashers ridiculous thoughts and claims? My guess is if you dod you would be busy bashing your head into that eall rather than talking to it.

Business as usual for the Packers and they will once again be a strong contender for the superbowl.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come now. Did you actually expect to read much else besides all the old TT bashers ridiculous thoughts and claims? My guess is if you dod you would be busy bashing your head into that eall rather than talking to it.

Business as usual for the Packers and they will once again be a strong contender for the superbowl.
What if Rodgers goes down, will they be a contender? Absolutely not, they'll be lucky to be 3rd in the division.