When or Should We fire TT?

• After this Year

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Give him another Year

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Ha! As if Mark Murphy has the balls to do that?

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • TT until Aaron Rodgers career is wasted away

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I like him, let's keep him

Votes: 42 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok
Yeah. He actually only got $6M a year which I thought was a really reasonable and feasible contract for us to do.

It blows me away that we don't bat an eye to give Perry $5M but we could have had a huge upgrade at ILB for $6M and we don't even kick the tires.
ILB in the draft?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok

ILB in the draft?

I'm sure we will at some point but that's a dangerous strategy to put all our eggs in that basket.

No telling if the guy we want in the 1st will be there.

Another Jake Ryan in the 4th isn't the answer.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What amazes me is that this thread could be from 6 years ago.

Just insert players names from recent headlines. Not sure why ANYONE thinks it will be different in the 1st week. Seriously...Why does anyone think it would be different this time?

Doing same thing, thinking outcome will be different------

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just insert players names from recent headlines. Not sure why ANYONE thinks it will be different in the 1st week. Seriously...Why does anyone think it would be different this time?

Who is insane, us or TT? We were told that we might be shocked with their activity in FA. Judging from Trevathan, they sat on their hands during the entire process. I've learned my lesson.

TT is confident in his strategy, many claim it's insanity, as the defense has been middle of the road or worse since our one SB and we haven't been able to get over the hump. There's been success otherwise, if being a good but clearly not great team is success. Most other teams would be itching to get AR some help, though.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with Ted not signing big name players on the first few days of free agency or whatever, the only thing that upsets me is everyone seems to be fine and accepting of the fact that Ted won't even try. They chalk it up to "well guyz that's just tt being tt, we just gots to accept it". I hate this mindset, I'm in the camp that believe tt should be doin his due dilegence on attempting to make this team better whether it be the first day of free agency, or the draft. He should be working tirelessly to see what he can do to improve the team by any means neccesary. If he just decides to forgo anything dealing with early free agency then he's not doing his job, he's being complacent and that's no good imo. I don't care if he doesn't sign anyone, but I atleast want him to be exhausting every avenue possible to make the packers better. Of course, he could be doing just that, and this whole tt doesn't try during free agency could be overblown

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Excellent point, so you admit TT is insane...

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In other news, the Steelers went aggressively after Ladarius Green and signed him to a 4-year contract. Obviously THEY thought Green was good and so did a lot of us here. And Ted? Busy doing his Rip Van Winkle imitation as another FA who could have really helped out at a position of need signs with someone else.

Apparently 4 years, 20 million, so $5 mill per year. So Nick Perry money for 4 years.

And Matt Forte? Hold the Presses, the Packers are rumored to have a interest!!!!
Signs with the Jets for 3 years, 4 mill per year. Sorry Julius.

Yep, that's our Ted.

But no! Ted delves in to FA too, just look: UFA <<<<Vince Kowalski>>>>

Wow, that'll show 'em.

Oh but there's rumors about the Packers signing Chris Long, DE from the Rams. Umm, no. The rumor is that the Patriots are interested in him. No word whatsoever about the Packers.

FAs, we don't need no stinking' FAs! I have 2, count 'em <<2>> 4th round compensatory picks!

Ted must be wetting himself.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent point, so you admit TT is insane...

Not at all.... Its the fans

Ted doesn't change.. What ever the reason, it stays the same.. He trusts his process.... We know this is his style...

Thats why I don't get all pissed off... Cuz I go in knowing there's a good chance won't happen...

Every year fans are like kids on xmas morning... Waiting to see that Red Ryder bb gun under the tree...

But it never is..

Or hear MM say we might shock you... Fans expecting different results, but again, walk into living room, tree all lit up but no bb gun

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm fine with Ted not signing big name players on the first few days of free agency or whatever, the only thing that upsets me is everyone seems to be fine and accepting of the fact that Ted won't even try.

I'm absolutely fine with Thompson not overpaying for free agents. It's inexcusable that he doesn't even try to inquire about the asking price of players possibly being an upgrade though.

Taking a look at Trevathan's ($6.125 million average) and Ladarius Green's ($5 million per season) contracts, two players who would have filled huge needs for the Packers, I don't think the Bears or Steelers overpaid to sign them. Especially when considering how much money Thompson spent on re-signing Crosby and Perry.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Not at all.... Its the fans

Ted doesn't change.. What ever the reason, it stays the same.. He trusts his process.... We know this is his style...

Thats why I don't get all pissed off... Cuz I go in knowing there's a good chance won't happen...

Every year fans are like kids on xmas morning... Waiting to see that Red Ryder bb gun under the tree...

But it never is..

Or hear MM say we might shock you... Fans expecting different results, but again, walk into living room, tree all lit up but no bb gun

Sometimes I think MM just says things to the press to keep them guessing and also to keep options open. He may not intend anything of substance, just something to feed the press. With the success the Packers have had of late, I can't imagine that these guys weren't sitting in numerous meetings discussing all the options and they had their minds made up on certain players long before FA actually started.

For some reasons known to their inner circle, they apparently thought there were better avenues for success than going after some of these big name favorites who everybody thinks they should have. I don't know how many different aspects of a players' life, career, salary, health, mental and emotional capabilities the staff look at, but it must be extensive. Then they have to weigh a multitude of factors into how various personnel will work together day in and day out in stressful situations. They have to consider if a potential player has had past personal bad blood with one or more existing players on the team. These are things I might not even know about on the outside. I'm sure there are many things these guys look into that involve more than just "can he play in our spot of need?"

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Honestly L.T., you can take it further back than 6 years. I've been bouncing around these fan forums since ... oh... I don't know ... since Darren Sharper was nicknamed "The Matador". Maybe '97 or '98 and the only thing that changes is the name associated with the post.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another theory, not saying I agree with it, is that TT has it stuck in his head that any first day free agent will be an overpay, so by philosophy, he won't contact any free agent outside of his own until the initial surge of free agent signings has passed.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with Ted not signing big name players on the first few days of free agency or whatever, the only thing that upsets me is everyone seems to be fine and accepting of the fact that Ted won't even try. They chalk it up to "well guyz that's just tt being tt, we just gots to accept it". I hate this mindset, I'm in the camp that believe tt should be doini guys mm his due dilegence on attempting to make this team better whether it be the first day of free agency, or the draft. He should be working tirelessly to see what he can do to improve the team by any means neccesary. If he just decides to forgo anything dealing with early free agency then he's not doing his job, he's being complacent and that's no good imo. I don't care if he doesn't sign anyone, but I atleast want him to be exhausting every avenue possible to make the packers better. Of course, he could be doing just that, and this whole tt doesn't try during free agency could be overblown
The pro day thing is really a show of arrogance. He's not stupid, he knew how it would be perceived. He owes it to the fans to at least acknowledge that he's at least trying in free agency.

Ted, your team is not that good. The defense is near the middle of the pick each year, and behind about 8-10 other playoff team defenses. The offense proved last year and 2013 that the sum of its parts is not nearly as good as a few individual pieces.

People want to talk about day 1 signing being bad business decisions; $5 million for Perry and $4 for Crosby are bad business decisions. $5 or $6 million for guys who not only fill holes, but are good players are better decisions.

I know people want to dismiss this because we won 6 years ago, though several of our great players from then are gone, and we almost won when Seattle had the worst offensive day of their lives. We need a team that can beat others straight up, not just get close when they throw it to us 5 times.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Another theory, not saying I agree with it, is that TT has it stuck in his head that any first day free agent will be an overpay, so by philosophy, he won't contact any free agent outside of his own until the initial surge of free agent signings has passed.
Or we can go with the conspiracy* theory that TT knew in advance that the Steelers / Bears were willing to bid much higher for the players than he was so he followed a gentleman's agreement to not drive the price up in exchange for maybe a draft pick sliding past them.

*never before realized that piracy is part of conspiracy

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The pro day thing is really a show of arrogance. He's not stupid, he knew how it would be perceived. He owes it to the fans to at least acknowledge that he's at least trying in free agency.
The charge of arrogance is just silly. Was Belichick being arrogant too? Both of them have personnel departments and both of them have phones. They don't have to be at the team's headquarters to OK the acquisition of players. Criticism of Thompson for not inquiring about FAs, just because it's the first day or two of free agency is justified, but this is just silly.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or we can go with the conspiracy* theory that TT knew in advance that the Steelers / Bears were willing to bid much higher for the players than he was so he followed a gentleman's agreement to not drive the price up in exchange for maybe a draft pick sliding past them.

I hope not. To hell with that. It's the Bears. Driving the price up for the Bears is the next best thing than actually signing him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

That is the most logical reason.. And I could not find any fault with it at all

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no way Thompson knew anything about what the Bears offered for Trevathan as he didn't even mind to talk to him or his agent. I'm quite sure the same is true for Green as well. In addition there's no such thing like a gentleman's agreement to not drive the price up either.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I'm sure some posters here will think your serious..

***you better not be***

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I disagree with LTF on this (and understand adambr2 isn't endorsing it). If that's Thompson's approach I completely disagree with it. As mentioned the deals for Trevathan and Green are not the kind of outrageous deals normally associated with the first couple of days of free agency. Just because the vast majority of the early deals are teams overpaying FAs, doesn't mean they all are and Thompson and staff should do their due diligence regarding all FAs who could help the team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I disagree with LTF on this (and understand adambr2 isn't endorsing it). If that's Thompson's approach I completely disagree with it. As mentioned the deals for Trevathan and Green are not the kind of outrageous deals normally associated with the first couple of days of free agency. Just because the vast majority of the early deals are teams overpaying FAs, doesn't mean they all are and Thompson and staff should do their due diligence regarding all FAs who could help the team.

My thought was it was logical.. Not that is the truth...

Members online

Latest posts