TT Loves FAVRE, Here's Why!

packers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion, Favre is buying Ted Thompson time. In the time that Favre is still with the packers, Ted is stockpiling talent to greatly improve the overall team while still being able to win now and be competitive, as shown by last season when we were a giants loss away from being one of the top 12 teams in the league.

When Favre finally retires, its almost like Ted's clock on his tenure will be re-set simply because everyone knows how much of a struggle changing of the guard at QB can be. for arguments sake, If Favre retired two years ago, people would already start calling for regime change in GB after this upcoming season if the packers weren't a playoff team yet. They would say, Ted and Aaron have had 3 years, they arent no ron wolf or brett favre, lets move on.

What having favre still be on this team does is essentially give Ted another 3-4 years without people "SERIOUSLY" calling for his head. This should be enough time for Ted to build a super-bowl calibre team and find the true heir apparent QB if Rodgers is not it. This is the biggest challenge that will face TT in the next few years of his tenure. I have no doubt he will build a super bowl caliber team, its just that he needs to find his franchise QB either thru draft, free agency, trade, or have him already in Rodgers/Ingle Martin.
BTW, i know a few people are already calling for Ted's head, but these are the same people who would complain if Jesus himself was our GM, so these people mean nothing

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion, Favre is buying Ted Thompson time. In the time that Favre is still with the packers, Ted is stockpiling talent to greatly improve the overall team while still being able to win now and be competitive, as shown by last season when we were a giants loss away from being one of the top 12 teams in the league.

When Favre finally retires, its almost like Ted's clock on his tenure will be re-set simply because everyone knows how much of a struggle changing of the guard at QB can be. for arguments sake, If Favre retired two years ago, people would already start calling for regime change in GB after this upcoming season if the packers weren't a playoff team yet. They would say, Ted and Aaron have had 3 years, they arent no ron wolf or brett favre, lets move on.

What having favre still be on this team does is essentially give Ted another 3-4 years without people "SERIOUSLY" calling for his head. This should be enough time for Ted to build a super-bowl calibre team and find the true heir apparent QB if Rodgers is not it. This is the biggest challenge that will face TT in the next few years of his tenure. I have no doubt he will build a super bowl caliber team, its just that he needs to find his franchise QB either thru draft, free agency, trade, or have him already in Rodgers/Ingle Martin.
BTW, i know a few people are already calling for Ted's head, but these are the same people who would complain if Jesus himself was our GM, so these people mean nothing

if the Packers have a losing season in 2007, you may see TT in the unemployment line come 2008

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its a good thought and i think it might play out like that, but unfortunatly some brilliant arm chair gms started calling for his head the day he walked in. so no matter what, it will be a hard road for TT.

at least in the media front it might be tough, im pretty sure the board agrees with everything hes done so far, so behind the scenes he will be ok.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have thought that myself before..

Ted is building up the D and getting players he thinks will be good players on the offense by the time Brett retires...

That way when Brett does leave who ever the q/b is, he wont have to do it all by himself..

I.E Trent Dilfer and the like

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ted is building up the D and getting players he thinks will be good players on the offense by the time Brett retires...

That way when Brett does leave who ever the q/b is, he wont have to do it all by himself..

and is that not a good idea??? i think its our best shot of contending as soon as possible.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

and is that not a good idea??? i think its our best shot of contending as soon as possible.

nah, the best bet would've been to sign whale, walker, green, and draft wisely

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wahle is not even worth talking back.... what we have now is just as good as Wahle and half the age. and half the cash

green, whatever man....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

That is the wedge between fans...

Play for the now, then suffer in coming years...

Or try to build a solid base now, so that the future can be years of success

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
longtimefan said:

That is the wedge between fans...

Play for the now, then suffer in coming years...

Or try to build a solid base now, so that the future can be years of success

exactly
i think the second option is the best way to win in the future, and its just as likely to win now as the first option of buyin up FAs. neither are guarenteed to win now. but the good one makes the future safer..

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wahle is not even worth talking back.... what we have now is just as good as Wahle and half the age. and half the cash

green, whatever man....

yeah right, the guy was a all-pro in 2005 , and that was his fifth straght year of starting, he got hurt in 2006 and is coming back in 2007 and watch him make the pro-bowl. no one we have is as good as wahle, no one. you are way off base.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

its a fact want some more, like how wahle was part of a team that had back to back 200 yard rushing games
Started 83 games from 1998-2004 for Green Bay, making 70 starts at left guard, 12 at left tackle and one at right guard.
Contributed to a Green Bay offense that set team records for total net yards, net passing yards and fewest sacks allowed in 2004.
Cleared the way for Green Bay running back Ahman Green to lead the NFC in rushing in 2003 and rank second in 2001.

is that some funny **** or what, I mean why keep a player like that around, these guys are easy to find in the 5th round right?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

its a fact want some more, like how wahle was part of a team that had back to back 200 yard rushing games
Started 83 games from 1998-2004 for Green Bay, making 70 starts at left guard, 12 at left tackle and one at right guard.
Contributed to a Green Bay offense that set team records for total net yards, net passing yards and fewest sacks allowed in 2004.
Cleared the way for Green Bay running back Ahman Green to lead the NFC in rushing in 2003 and rank second in 2001.

is that some funny **** or what, I mean why keep a player like that around, these guys are easy to find in the 5th round right?

The point here is what he would be producing for us now, on a probowl contract, no less. As you said, he was injured last year, and may come back well this year. Who knows, though, for sure?

I think its hilarious that you conventiently left Marco out of your previous list of players we should have resigned. 3 months ago that list would've included his name, but now where is the nod to TT's good judgement?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
tromadz said:

The point here is what he would be producing for us now, on a probowl contract, no less. As you said, he was injured last year, and may come back well this year. Who knows, though, for sure?

I think its hilarious that you conventiently left Marco out of your previous list of players we should have resigned. 3 months ago that list would've included his name, but now where is the nod to TT's good judgement?

After letting Wahle, Walker, Green out of GB, I''m still not sold on GJ over Chad Jackson, doing nothing in free agency, and this years draft is just a joke. I mean
instead of DD, walker, green wahle
we got GJ, Spitz, jaqckson and jones for a HALL lOF FAME QB and you're saying TT should keep his job b/c of Rivera?
i'm not even sold on McCarthy over Sean Payton

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packnic said:
longtimefan said:

Whale is only one off that list i would have loved to be still be here...

I think for the most part draft wisely has happened..

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Packnic said:
longtimefan said:

So.......in no way do you feel the Packers would be better with DD and J-Walk as our starting WR, both with long term deal through 2010

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So.......in no way do you feel the Packers would be better with DD and J-Walk as our starting WR, both with long term deal through 2010

Of course the Pack would be better with Walker. No argument there. Just remeber it was St. Brett that helped to run his best offensive weapon outta GB on a rail.

And yes, Jennings had a better year than Jackson in NE. That, in my mind = a better pick. Wahle wouldn't fit the ZBS, I don't think anyway. Let's see him actually play up to his contract before we say he was a horrible let-go by TT.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing that everyone tries to do in their rush to either love or hate Ted Thompson, is make assumptions on the talent of the young players on the current roster. And as the backbone of the "build from within" team building plan, their performance is critical to this team's future success.

The only way anything buys Ted Thompson any more time is if the player decisions he's already made and is making now are good ones. If not, no amount of training, coaching or offseason workout programs is going to get them to build from within.

JMO

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
f the Packers have a losing season in 2007, you may see TT in the unemployment line come 2008[/quote]

TT can always be an undertaker. He is pounding the team into the ground.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
dhpackr said:
Packnic said:
longtimefan said:

Never said Walker sucked, I hated his demands plain and simple...I would have been ticked if Ted would have cave dinto his demands.

While I dont agree with re-doing a contract 2 years after a player signs it, it helps the players case that they have done something constant year after year and not just one good year..

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
longtimefan said:
dhpackr said:
Packnic said:
longtimefan said:

Never said Walker sucked, I hated his demands plain and simple...I would have been ticked if Ted would have cave dinto his demands.

While I dont agree with re-doing a contract 2 years after a player signs it, it helps the players case that they have done something constant year after year and not just one good year..

Well then, Wahle should have been offered a contract b/c he performed for 4 straight years b/f he was let go

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Of course the Pack would be better with Walker. No argument there. Just remeber it was St. Brett that helped to run his best offensive weapon outta GB on a rail.

And yes, Jennings had a better year than Jackson in NE. That, in my mind = a better pick. Wahle wouldn't fit the ZBS, I don't think anyway. Let's see him actually play up to his contract before we say he was a horrible let-go by TT.

Wahle was an all-pro in '05, so he played up to his contract, and if TT went to walker right away and said you are a star and we want you on this team, and here is 10 million garunteed, like he did for woodson, J-Walk would be a Packer regardless of what Brett said

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
dhpackr said:
longtimefan said:
dhpackr said:
Packnic said:
longtimefan said:

Well then, Wahle should have been offered a contract b/c he performed for 4 straight years b/f he was let go

I said b4 I only wanted Wahle to stay in the original list you gave..

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its a good thought and i think it might play out like that, but unfortunatly some brilliant arm chair gms started calling for his head the day he walked in. so no matter what, it will be a hard road for TT.

at least in the media front it might be tough, im pretty sure the board agrees with everything hes done so far, so behind the scenes he will be ok.

It all comes down to winning and losing. We start winning, he'll be okay. If we end up in the cellar, he'll be out of work.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[/quote]

Well maybe Wahle should have been considered important enough during Sherman's tenure to do something about it. Ignoring the situation and leaving a minimal amount of money laying around doesn't impress me much regarding this issue. That was one mess I am certain he was happy to pass on to somebody else.

Maybe because his last name started with "W" he was so far down the roster MS forgot to look at his contract.

I've heard all kinds of "could have's" regarding keeping Wahle and certainly dropping other players salaries and picking up players at the minimum would have made some room. This team was already carrying a bunch of those players due to the amount of dead-space salary cap money paid to guys not even on the team anymore.

The "could have" kept Wahle deal is a lot more complicated than many here would like to make it. We keep Wahle and bend over for Walker and pay Green and what happens when we need to direct money to Harris, Barnett, Kampman, Driver, et. Does it leave money to bring in Woodson and Pickett?

TT has had the money to address these issues because he's MANAGED the money in a manner that has allowed him to address them. Does anyone here think he did not look at every single contract of every player when he got here and that he had NO PLAN to deal with these guys one and two years down the road?

He's not Mike Sherman. He has a plan. Just because he hasn't kept every guy you would like to see him keep doesn't mean the guy doesn't know what he's doing.

Latest posts