Trade Possibilities

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trades happen in the NFL, but not with great frequency (other than draft picks).

I'd be more interested to see whether the new administration is a player in free agency this time around, and how much they'd be willing to spend.

Reaction score
It's a tough one. It seems either we have players that have marginal value that wouldn't get us a better pick (Special teams guys) or Players that are overpriced that they (trade partner) wouldn't want to take the contract on (unless we gave them other incentives like a draft pick). If I had to pick I'd say a guy like Ripkowski could be traded for a solid rotational depth player at CB or OL. I don't know that we get enough production from solid players like him (ineffective use of talent) and he certainly could be used as leverage to a team rebuilding ST in order for us to get some depth elsewhere. They are calls that could be made that might turn out to be nothing or we could get a team interested, it doesn't hurt to try to be active

They say that only 3 FB are picked in the draft each year on average now. Having a proven FB can be useful to several teams out there

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's a tough one. It seems either we have players that have marginal value that wouldn't get us a better pick (Special teams guys) or Players that are overpriced that they (trade partner) wouldn't want to take the contract on (unless we gave them other incentives like a draft pick). If I had to pick I'd say a guy like Ripkowski could be traded for a solid rotational depth player at CB or OL. I don't know that we get enough production from solid players like him (ineffective use of talent) and he certainly could be used as leverage to a team rebuilding ST in order for us to get some depth elsewhere. They are calls that could be made that might turn out to be nothing or we could get a team interested, it doesn't hurt to try to be active

They say that only 3 FB are picked in the draft each year on average now. Having a proven FB can be useful to several teams out there

I might have agreed with you after the 2016 season, but Ripkowski almost seemed non-existent this year. Yes, he can block, but this year he was barely used in the run game (5 carries for 13 yds 0 tds) and same with passing (7-39). I don't see him as having much value other than maybe a day 3 pick.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There is no way on this planet that a fullback would ever bring back a solid rotational/depth player at corner or OL. The position values there are in different universes.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If it's me...

Obviously try to keep both guys if they're willing to restructure to team friendly deals that's more in line with their production levels and what they're able to provide at this point in their careers. If I had to choose, it might sound crazy, but I'm taking Jordy. Especially if he's willing to move into the slot. The connection he and Rodgers have is scary. It's like Brady/Edelman. Just deadly. If that's the case, which is no guarantee, I'm content with moving on from Cobb.

Jordy may not want to take more hits which would be inevitable with moving inside, but I'm not okay with keeping him as the other outside guy. He just doesn't have that type of impact anymore, IMO.
Imo, though it sounds like a good fit to have Nelson in the slot full time, over the last two years it appears to me that he is shying away from contact on the inside much like he did his first two years in the league. I suspect he becomes a guy that is constantly moved around between different WR positions throughout the game.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am interested if anyone thinks a trade is possible now that TT is out the door and if so, who from our end would make sense for the Packers to give up? Of course Jordy, Cobb and CM3 would be ideal but it’s unlikely another team will eat any of those salaries. What about Ty Montgomery? Still on a rookie contract. We don’t seem to need another RB and definitely do not need him at WR. What do you think we could get for him? Any other realistic players we could deal out to other teams?

"definitely do not need him at WR." Are you assuming we are keeping Nelson and Cobb as well as Adams. That would be the only reason I would say we don't need him at WR. If we lose either of those two we are going to have to look elsewhere or really hope that a couple of the young guys really step up.

D

Deleted member 6794

"definitely do not need him at WR." Are you assuming we are keeping Nelson and Cobb as well as Adams. That would be the only reason I would say we don't need him at WR. If we lose either of those two we are going to have to look elsewhere or really hope that a couple of the young guys really step up.

I believe the Packers could have better options than Montgomery to replace Nelson and/or Cobb at wide receiver if the team decides to move from either one or both of them.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would love that too, what do you do if neither will renegotiate? Cut them both? Then what? At WR you have Adams and.......???

I think Jordy seems most likely the guy who would restructure.. due to him probably bring on the downside of his career, and having such a great relationship with Rodgers. Cobb on the other hand?? supposedly he took less to stay in Green Bay. I don’t know how true that is..but I’m a firm believer that Monty could have a very similar effect on the offense that Cobb does..not to mention he’d be wayyyyy cheaper. The only thing tho is I don’t trust him to stay healthy whatsoever. The most frustrating thing about Cobbs deal is his production isn’t anywhere close to what it should be for a guy making that much money. I mean they don’t even let the guy return punts and kicks which he should be doing.

If you have faith in guys like Clark, Dupree, or you can legitimately get Jimmy Graham?? Then I’d cut Cobb.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Jordy seems most likely the guy who would restructure.. due to him probably bring on the downside of his career, and having such a great relationship with Rodgers. Cobb on the other hand?? supposedly he took less to stay in Green Bay. I don’t know how true that is..but I’m a firm believer that Monty could have a very similar effect on the offense that Cobb does..not to mention he’d be wayyyyy cheaper. The only thing tho is I don’t trust him to stay healthy whatsoever. The most frustrating thing about Cobbs deal is his production isn’t anywhere close to what it should be for a guy making that much money. I mean they don’t even let the guy return punts and kicks which he should be doing.

If you have faith in guys like Clark, Dupree, or you can legitimately get Jimmy Graham?? Then I’d cut Cobb.

I agree that Jordy is probably the easier guy to renegotiate and keep until the end of his career. I also think out of the 2, he is probably not only more important to AR and the Packer offense, but probably less easy to replace due to his chemistry with #12. Cobb is only 27 years old and should be around for at least one more 4-5 year contract. I am guessing his hope is to stick this next season out (on his current contract) have an impressive 2018 and use that to sign a big contract elsewhere.

As far as having faith in Clark or Dupre.....Davis or Janis......none. While I think both Clark and Dupre may have some potential, I highly doubt we see it in 2018 and no way would I want to rely on it. The lack of quality depth at WR has put the Packers in a tough spot with Jordy and Cobb. Yes, they are probably being overpaid, but as I keep asking, who do you replace them with? Same issue with Matthews.

If I am BG.....I look to keep Jordy, Cobb and Matthews on restructured deals. If they won't budge, I don't cut them, but I go into Free agency looking for cheaper options. After that, hit the draft knowing what you need. If all those options fail, you break camp with whoever you have and if you find a replacement for any of the high priced guys, cut em' loose.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy does seem like the most likely option to re-structure. He seemed to imply he was going to be done when this contract was done and winning is more ipmortant than money. But how much would we really save and how much are the Packers really going to ask him to give up? He seems a little over paid now, and I think a lot of that was on Hundley. He didn't finish they year well, but if he finished with 80 catches 1,000 yards and 10+, especially the 20+ TD pace he was on, is anybody asking him to restructure? and take into account that for a lot of his really productive seasons he was under paid. I'm not sure they ask him to give back anything at this point.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would be fine with the Packers holding on to Montgomery and let him compete for a roster spot I'm not convinced moving him back to wide receiver would be a smart move.
Me neither. He was moved for a reason and RB attrition wasn't the only one. We aren't paying him a ton of money so why not hang onto him and refine his role. I think he could be a 5-8 carry a game guy, play in some 5WR sets and a core ST player. He is a good athlete but both Jones and JWill are superior options when it comes to being a legitimate RB.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Jordy is probably the easier guy to renegotiate and keep until the end of his career. I also think out of the 2, he is probably not only more important to AR and the Packer offense, but probably less easy to replace due to his chemistry with #12. Cobb is only 27 years old and should be around for at least one more 4-5 year contract. I am guessing his hope is to stick this next season out (on his current contract) have an impressive 2018 and use that to sign a big contract elsewhere.

As far as having faith in Clark or Dupre.....Davis or Janis......none. While I think both Clark and Dupre may have some potential, I highly doubt we see it in 2018 and no way would I want to rely on it. The lack of quality depth at WR has put the Packers in a tough spot with Jordy and Cobb. Yes, they are probably being overpaid, but as I keep asking, who do you replace them with? Same issue with Matthews.

If I am BG.....I look to keep Jordy, Cobb and Matthews on restructured deals. If they won't budge, I don't cut them, but I go into Free agency looking for cheaper options. After that, hit the draft knowing what you need. If all those options fail, you break camp with whoever you have and if you find a replacement for any of the high priced guys, cut em' loose.

With the Packers in dire need of a Tightend, I’m willing to part ways with Cobb in favor of signing Jimmy Graham. With the success that the Packers have had in finding WRs in the 2nd Round, id probably go that route. Get a speedster who can return kicks as well. Hell it wouldn’t shock me if this New guy decides to go Wr in the first rd.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy does seem like the most likely option to re-structure. He seemed to imply he was going to be done when this contract was done and winning is more ipmortant than money. But how much would we really save and how much are the Packers really going to ask him to give up? He seems a little over paid now, and I think a lot of that was on Hundley. He didn't finish they year well, but if he finished with 80 catches 1,000 yards and 10+, especially the 20+ TD pace he was on, is anybody asking him to restructure? and take into account that for a lot of his really productive seasons he was under paid. I'm not sure they ask him to give back anything at this point.

Well in that case Cobbs gotta go. I really like Cobb, but he’s not a #1, and he barely sees time as the #2. Somethings gotta give.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I also hope the Packers can find a future star at WR with a 1st or 2nd round pick, I wouldn't want to rely on a rookie for being a big impact next year. Jordy didn't even have much of an impact until well into his 3rd season. Adams, we all know his story for his first few years as a Packer, with many screaming he should be cut.

So yes, the Packers need to start really planning long and short term strategy at WR, but that time table really moves up quickly if Nelson and Cobb are both let go this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With the Packers in dire need of a Tightend, I’m willing to part ways with Cobb in favor of signing Jimmy Graham. With the success that the Packers have had in finding WRs in the 2nd Round, id probably go that route. Get a speedster who can return kicks as well. Hell it wouldn’t shock me if this New guy decides to go Wr in the first rd.

They most certainly are in need of a high caliber TE. I was really disappointed in Kendricks. His contract only has $600K of dead cap and a $2.25M cap hit if he is kept, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Packers cut Kendricks, resign Rodgers at around vet min and then go after a TE in Free agency and a mid to late round pick in the draft as well.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They most certainly are in need of a high caliber TE. I was really disappointed in Kendricks. His contract only has $600K of dead cap and a $2.25M cap hit if he is kept, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Packers cut Kendricks, resign Rodgers at around vet min and then go after a TE in Free agency and a mid to late round pick in the draft as well.

Eh, with 90 man rosters, assuming no bonus for Kendricks, re-sign RR, keep Kendricks, draft one, and sign one. 4 TEs isn't crazy and we've done it before. If they're really disappointed, they can cut him mid-preseason. Always possible he plays better year 2 in the system.

The other problem is we don't really know how this new GM operates. Hard to speculate what his rosters or general approach is going to be.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Eh, with 90 man rosters, assuming no bonus for Kendricks, re-sign RR, keep Kendricks, draft one, and sign one. 4 TEs isn't crazy and we've done it before. If they're really disappointed, they can cut him mid-preseason. Always possible he plays better year 2 in the system.

The other problem is we don't really know how this new GM operates. Hard to speculate what his rosters or general approach is going to be.

Right, but I wouldn't be penciling Kendricks in as our #1 or maybe even as our #2 just yet. If getting a guy like Graham is contingent on having enough Cap space, I would be fine with letting Kendricks go.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MartyB wouldn't have been such a monumental disgrace to the game and competition, Kendricks would be much higher up on my list of disappointments this season.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really?

I mean, we have a 26 year old LT who is a 2x All-Pro. I'd imagine we would get a decent pick for him. Same with Adams. And Clark. And Daniels. And Perry. A couple others. Let's not act like Rodgers is the only good player on the team, please.

Outside of Aaron Rodgers, Bhaktiari should be untouchable. LT with footwork like that is rare and shouldn't even be considered expendable.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO 1 thing must absolutely happen...

1. Cobb and Jordy BOTH have to restructure. There is just no way in this world the Packers should have over 30 mil tied into 3 WRs going into next season...no freaking way. If this new GM is as smart as people are saying he is m, that would be the ideal thing to start figuring out right away.

Nelson should either restructure or retire...sorry but...yea. Cobb could be trade bait (49ers, Seahawks, Raiders, Chiefs, Colts), many teams could use a veteran slot receiver, except GB. Ty Montgomery replaces Cobb, still on his rookie contract, and opens the playbook with his versatility.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MartyB wouldn't have been such a monumental disgrace to the game and competition, Kendricks would be much higher up on my list of disappointments this season.

I think Kendricks signed before Marty B did. He could've assumed he would be the starting TE, and when Marty B surprisingly signed, Kendricks was relegated to the second team. Second team players get second team reps...not many of them. If Kendricks resigns, he could be better. Although, I personally would prefer a blue chipper in FA (Trey Burton?), I like to root for the hometown guy (Kendricks from Milwaukee). If the TE position isn't addressed, why not bring him back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Kendricks signed before Marty B did. He could've assumed he would be the starting TE, and when Marty B surprisingly signed, Kendricks was relegated to the second team. Second team players get second team reps...not many of them. If Kendricks resigns, he could be better. Although, I personally would prefer a blue chipper in FA (Trey Burton?), I like to root for the hometown guy (Kendricks from Milwaukee). If the TE position isn't addressed, why not bring him back.

Actually nince theory. but Bennett signed on 3/10 and Kendricks signed the next day.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy's lost a step and even if he takes a cut does he truly help? We need more speed. Cobb has taken some shots, I worry if he can continue to take them and keep getting up. If we keep those 2 Adams will be doubled constantly. Bulaga is done, replacement time. Bundle picks to move up. grab best pass rusher we can, or either of the D linemen from Alabama.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
SMH.....why do so many people think Jordy is washed up? He was having a great year with AR and in steps Brett Hundley.

Maybe on the high end of a contract, but....

Come on man!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts