Trade Possibilities

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ty ranks below Jamaal Williams at RB depth?

He's a perfect flex player who gives us a lot of options. We'd be nuts to trade off Ty imo.

IMO, Ty doesn't have a lot of trade value to begin with. Sure he will be on the last year of his rookie contract, but who is going to trade much for a guy who can't stay healthy and really didn't look all that great playing RB full time?

Packers should keep TY, work him back into the WR group as a slot receiver that can do what Cobb has done, play WR and run the ball on occasion to keep the defense on their toes.

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO, Ty doesn't have a lot of trade value to begin with. Sure he will be on the last year of his rookie contract, but who is going to trade much for a guy who can't stay healthy and really didn't look all that great playing RB full time?

Packers should keep TY, work him back into the WR group as a slot receiver that can do what Cobb has done, play WR and run the ball on occasion to keep the defense on their toes.

While I would be fine with the Packers holding on to Montgomery and let him compete for a roster spot I'm not convinced moving him back to wide receiver would be a smart move.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO 1 thing must absolutely happen...

1. Cobb and Jordy BOTH have to restructure. There is just no way in this world the Packers should have over 30 mil tied into 3 WRs going into next season...no freaking way. If this new GM is as smart as people are saying he is m, that would be the ideal thing to start figuring out right away.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMO 1 thing must absolutely happen...

1. Cobb and Jordy BOTH have to restructure. There is just no way in this world the Packers should have over 30 mil tied into 3 WRs going into next season...no freaking way. If this new GM is as smart as people are saying he is m, that would be the ideal thing to start figuring out right away.

While I would love that too, what do you do if neither will renegotiate? Cut them both? Then what? At WR you have Adams and.......???

D

Deleted member 6794

While I would love that too, what do you do if neither will renegotiate? Cut them both? Then what? At WR you have Adams and.......???

While it might be tough to field a decent receiving corps without Nelson and Cobb entering next season there's absolutely no way the Packers should keep either one of them around while counting more than $12 million towards the cap.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a secret that I would like the Packers to add more veteran presence to the roster. Hopefully Gutekunst will be able to provide that.

Honestly, had TT done the past 5 years what he did last year, we would've been in a lot better situations.

Signing like Evans, Brooks, Dial, House, all helped a ton. Bennett was a flame out, and Kendricks was disappointing, but still, we had veteran depth at key positions.

Hopefully Gute does more bargain shopping like that, while hitting on good young players, but I mean, nobody is perfect in FA. It's hard. I'm hoping for Tru Johnson, but it might be a pipe dream.

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly, had TT done the past 5 years what he did last year, we would've been in a lot better situations.

Signing like Evans, Brooks, Dial, House, all helped a ton. Bennett was a flame out, and Kendricks was disappointing, but still, we had veteran depth at key positions.

Thompson did a decent job adding veteran presence last offseason although most of the moves didn't pan out as planned. He definitely didn't make enough moves to improve a pass rush in desperate need of help though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While it might be tough to field a decent receiving corps without Nelson and Cobb entering next season there's absolutely no way the Packers should keep either one of them around while counting more than $12 million towards the cap.

Kind of like Clay Matthews last year, while you hate taking the Cap hit, what do you do with the $10M you save by cutting them lose? Who steps in and takes up the slack?

I'm not disagreeing with anyone that both Cobb and Jordy should be renegotiated and it should be one of the first priorities of the new GM (along with Matthews contract), but you have to have a contingency plan for replacing them and their production, if they don't budge and you cut them.

D

Deleted member 6794

Kind of like Clay Matthews last year, while you hate taking the Cap hit, what do you do with the $10M you save by cutting them lose? Who steps in and takes up the slack?

I'm not disagreeing with anyone that both Cobb and Jordy should be renegotiated and it should be one of the first priorities of the new GM (along with Matthews contract), but you have to have a contingency plan for replacing them and their production, if they don't budge and you cut them.

It's true the Packers would have to replace the production of Nelson and Cobb but I believe it should be possible to get those numbers out of receivers making less than $20 million combined.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's true the Packers would have to replace the production of Nelson and Cobb but I believe it should be possible to get those numbers out of receivers making less than $20 million combined.

You would hope, but we all know how important Chemistry with his WR's is to AR. The last thing this team needs next season is watching AR get frustrated because he can't get on the same page as his 2 new WR's.

D

Deleted member 6794

You would hope, but we all know how important Chemistry with his WR's is to AR. The last thing this team needs next season is watching AR get frustrated because he can't get on the same page as his 2 new WR's.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely prefer the Packers holding on to both Nelson and Cobb but there's no doubt in my mind their contracts need to be restructured.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If it's me...

Obviously try to keep both guys if they're willing to restructure to team friendly deals that's more in line with their production levels and what they're able to provide at this point in their careers. If I had to choose, it might sound crazy, but I'm taking Jordy. Especially if he's willing to move into the slot. The connection he and Rodgers have is scary. It's like Brady/Edelman. Just deadly. If that's the case, which is no guarantee, I'm content with moving on from Cobb.

Jordy may not want to take more hits which would be inevitable with moving inside, but I'm not okay with keeping him as the other outside guy. He just doesn't have that type of impact anymore, IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I definitely prefer the Packers holding on to both Nelson and Cobb but there's no doubt in my mind their contracts need to be restructured.
I'm totally on board with that and toss in Matthews as well and maybe Perry's next year ;)

All I am asking is "What is the contingency plan if they won't take a paycut?". Ideally, just like on the OL, you have guys in the wings that can step up. Right now I don't see that at WR or OLB. Probably not going to find immediate replacements in the draft, so than you have to gamble in the Free Agent market.

Personally, I see Jordy being the guy who will take a new deal, one that keeps him in Green Bay until he retires. Cobb is still young and he and his agent probably see him being a wanted commodity on the open market. If that were the case, I would be fine seeing Jordy and Adams at WR and then the Packers look for Cobbs replacement in Free Agency. All that said, I still put a higher value on Cobb then some do, just not at RB. :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

If it's me...

Obviously try to keep both guys if they're willing to restructure to team friendly deals that's more in line with their production levels and what they're able to provide at this point in their careers. If I had to choose, it might sound crazy, but I'm taking Jordy. Especially if he's willing to move into the slot. The connection he and Rodgers have is scary. It's like Brady/Edelman. Just deadly. If that's the case, which is no guarantee, I'm content with moving on from Cobb.

Jordy may not want to take more hits which would be inevitable with moving inside, but I'm not okay with keeping him as the other outside guy. He just doesn't have that type of impact anymore, IMO.

I agree that Jordy most likely would be more productive in the slot moving forward. With that being said that either makes him or Cobb expendable with the Packers needing another outside receiver capable of starting immediately.

D

Deleted member 6794

All I am asking is "What is the contingency plan if they won't take a paycut?". Ideally, just like on the OL, you have guys in the wings that can step up. Right now I don't see that at WR or OLB. Probably not going to find immediate replacements in the draft, so than you have to gamble in the Free Agent market.

The Packers definitely don't have enough talent at outside linebacker to be able to release Matthews if he doesn't agree to restructuring his contract. With Adams having developed into the #1 wide receiver by a wide margin the team might be in a better situation to negotiate new deals with both Nelson and Cobb.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers definitely don't have enough talent at outside linebacker to be able to release Matthews if he doesn't agree to restructuring his contract. With Adams having developed into the #1 wide receiver by a wide margin the team might be in a better situation to negotiate new deals with both Nelson and Cobb.

I know some don't want AR calling the shots, but if the Packers were to pursue a WR in Free Agency, which I would be on board with, you have to wonder how much they would consult with AR.

I remember when Mohamed Sanu was a FA and I hoped the Packers would sign him. I have loved what he has done in Atlanta for $6.5M/year. Of course it helps when you have Julio Jones. Find me another Sanu to pair with Adams and I will be happy.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don't know where he'd work out best, but I think this is another instance where we know the guy and figure he's better than he is. Flip it, and think what would happen if the Pack traded for a guy with these stats - http://www.packers.com/team/roster/Ty-Montgomery/a2c065c3-9eb3-4126-8c1f-fe5b8a5d044a

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't know where he'd work out best, but I think this is another instance where we know the guy and figure he's better than he is. Flip it, and think what would happen if the Pack traded for a guy with these stats - http://www.packers.com/team/roster/Ty-Montgomery/a2c065c3-9eb3-4126-8c1f-fe5b8a5d044a

I agree. It's a bit like Janis....and no I realize Monty has more talent than Janis. However, people see him have a few good games and all of a sudden he is a FHOF'er. I think many of us expected just about what we saw out of Monty this year and I think TT should be given credit for predicting it as well, by using 3 draft picks at the RB position. I remember a lot of people questioning that move, as it turns out, well done Ted!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson did a decent job adding veteran presence last offseason although most of the moves didn't pan out as planned. He definitely didn't make enough moves to improve a pass rush in desperate need of help though.

I'm not sure who we could have added. Barwin might look like he had the better year than Brooks, but having a better secondary certainly helped.

There wasn't a lot of affordable pass rush out there, if I remember right. Biegel got hurt, Fackrell just sucked. I think Reggie Gilbert will help a lot next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

There wasn't a lot of affordable pass rush out there, if I remember right. Biegel got hurt, Fackrell just sucked. I think Reggie Gilbert will help a lot next year.

I guess re-signing Peppers for $3.75 million a year would have helped tremendously though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not sure who we could have added. Barwin might look like he had the better year than Brooks, but having a better secondary certainly helped.

Keeping Peppers and signing Barwin, something I wanted....and now being able to use hindsight on, I believe would have helped more than Brooks and Dial. But who knows....Peppers and/or Barwin could have gotten hurt or had lessor seasons in Green Bay.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keeping Peppers and signing Barwin, something I wanted....and now being able to use hindsight on, I believe would have helped more than Brooks and Dial. But who knows....Peppers and/or Barwin could have gotten hurt or had lessor seasons in Green Bay.

Agree on Peppers, but did he want to come back? And it's hard to rely on a 38 year old at that position. Dude is a freak.

I think Brooks and Barwin are a wash impact wise.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agree on Peppers, but did he want to come back? And it's hard to rely on a 38 year old at that position. Dude is a freak.

It would have definitely been smarter to rely on Peppers having an impact rather than hoping that Fackrell or Biegel would perform at a decent level.

Members online