Trade Possibilities

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think last year at this time, some people may have entertained the idea of trying to cash in on Rodgers for a King's Ransom in picks and players. However, after watching the Packers this year play without Rodgers, I can't think of much that would want me to see Rodgers not in Green and Gold until he retires.

I think I'd honestly have to take a break from football if the Packers did that. I know, "be a fan of the team, not the player", but that would really **** me off.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Research Cleveland - Houston & Brock Osweiler

Ah, but look closer. Houston threw in a second round pick. IIRC, the details were that Cleveland got a second round pick and Brock. Houston got a 7th and got out from under the contract. Houston didn't have the cap room to cut him, Cleveland did.

Cleveland effectively bought a second round pick and it was brilliant for them. They took a horrible contract, because they had so much cap room they weren't going to make the salary cap minimum.

Or when you trade Cobb away in this example, are you going to throw in a 4th and to get a 7th back?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, but look closer. Houston threw in a second round pick. IIRC, the details were that Cleveland got a second round pick and Brock. Houston got a 7th and got out from under the contract. Houston didn't have the cap room to cut him, Cleveland did.

Cleveland effectively bought a second round pick and it was brilliant for them. They took a horrible contract, because they had so much cap room they weren't going to make the salary cap minimum.

Or when you trade Cobb away in this example, are you going to throw in a 4th and to get a 7th back?
I have no concept that anyone would trade for Cobb or any other potential cap casualty on the roster. I used the example as to how it could be done. which you explained.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews for anybody with a pulse? Time to make it happen.

Again, no one is going to trade Matthews for anything. Older player, not playing up to his contract, and only 1 year left.

We have to keep him, try to extend him to lower his cap number, or cut him. That's it. That's our options. Even Al Davis' ghost wouldn't make such a poor trade.

I'd vote to keep him. If he's done, just don't resign him next year. Then you have a chance of some kind of comp pick.

I'd extend him only if we need the cap space for something other than an edge rusher, say an impact TE.

I'd be hesitant to cut him, as we have so little else at EDGE besides him. We're kind of stuck.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you act like Clay sucks.

There's a difference between not being worth your contract and not being good. Clay is the former, not latter.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind seeing us trade DOWN from 14, then trade up from late rounds. Probably will depend it THE guy they want is there at #14? Or there are half a dozen guys they see as similar values.... plus of course a willing trade partner

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say do what you can to get a couple WR (Gordon and Sanu) i think both could be great additions to the team. Gordon is a flyer, might not pan out with his recent track history but if we could get a couple speed WR to join Rodgers for another 4-5 years, we could see this offense exploded making the defense not having to be the most pressing trying to hold teams to under 30 points a game. Just a thought that more thank likely has been discussed.. Cheers.

Sanu is under contract and with a 7.4 million cap hit I don't think he is overpriced so unless the Falcons are in cap trouble I think he stays put.

Gordon is and exclusive rights free agent and unless John Dorsey decides to move on I think he stays in Cleveland.

Other than those two obstacles I wouldn't mind seeing these two as replacements for Nelson and Cobb. Gordon would be the burner we have needed for a long time and Sanu just seems to be clutch. I admit I have not seen much of him but he always seems to come up big when it counts. He was overshadowed in Cincy by AJ Greenand now in Atlanta by Julio but he is a very good receiver.

I just don't think the Packers would go after two guys like this given they would have to trade for them. If they were unrestricted free agents then maybe.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying we need to replace Nelson and Cobb, just that if we do these two would do the job nicely.