Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

D

Deleted member 6794

As I said, I wouldn't mind him coming back for another season. In the same respect, I wouldn't lose any sleep if he wasn't a Packer anymore and landed somewhere else.

While that might come as a huge surprise to a lot of posters I would rather prefer the Packers to move on from Crosby than offer him a contract averaging several millions a year.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that might come as a huge surprise to a lot of posters I would rather prefer the Packers to move on from Crosby than offer him a contract averaging several millions a year.

I would like the Packers to target Cameron ****er from the Chargers.

He's young, accurate and unrestricted free agent.

Only thing I'm unsure of is his kicking power.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I would be totally fine moving on. Crosby can't kick deep anymore on kickoffs. I prefer to just kick in the endzone to avoid a big return. He is a liability that way.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely don't keep Crosby because he's friends with Rodgers. he's lost some leg strength, I could see it. Though he still hit some 50+ better than I thought he would.

But he's also not done. He looked pretty smooth from 50 on in and consistent. I'd have no problem offering him some money for a short year or 2 contract either. I'd definitely be looking at other kickers and if none can beat him out, I stick with him. If a young guy with consistency and a stronger leg shows up, it's a no brainer.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby has made it pretty clear that he doesn't plan on retiring.

Kickers can be a different breed. Dinosaurs like Lou Groza, George Blanda, Jason Hanson, Robbie Gould. And many a team still will find someone on the roster with a powerful leg just to force a touchback. Mitch Berger of the Vikings comes to mind. I do not expect Crosby to hit 55 yarders every week outdoors. We need that consistency on PATs and in that 35-50 range.

D

Deleted member 6794

But he's also not done. He looked pretty smooth from 50 on in and consistent. I'd have no problem offering him some money for a short year or 2 contract either. I'd definitely be looking at other kickers and if none can beat him out, I stick with him. If a young guy with consistency and a stronger leg shows up, it's a no brainer.

I believe that Crosby will end up being the Packers kicker if they re-sign him by default as that contract would most likely include some guaranteed money the team wouldn't want to walk away from.

I do not expect Crosby to hit 55 yarders every week outdoors. We need that consistency on PATs and in that 35-50 range.

I would like to have a kicker capable of kicking off into the end zone consistently.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers HAVE to resign Mason, otherwise Captain gets to finally remove his signature line about how great of a kicker he is! :whistling:

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Is there any truth that the pilots who did the fly over were all women ? And they say Rhianna was an inspiration :rolleyes:

Reaction score
TE, WR and S rooms are just crazy depleted atm...
It might be wise to sign 1 of the 2 of Lazard or Tonyan. I’d make a good effort to sign Keisean Nixon, possibly Crosby. Amos is at minimum a stab with an offer. As Krab said there’s no one I fear losing that can’t be replaced, particularly if we end up with 2 1st rounders and 2 second Rounders etc..
Obviously much of that FA list comes down to asking price. But I think we can replace a bunch of those guys in this draft if we end up acquiring at least 2-3 extra draft selections.

D

Deleted member 6794

It might be wise to sign 1 of the 2 of Lazard or Tonyan. I’d make a good effort to sign Keisean Nixon, possibly Crosby. Amos is at minimum a stab with an offer.

I definitely want the Packers to re-sign Nixon, Nijman considering he's a RFA as well as Amos to reasonable deals.

Other than that I don't believe the Packers desperately need to bring any of their other free agents back.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely want the Packers to re-sign Nixon, Nijman considering he's a RFA as well as Amos to reasonable deals.

Other than that I don't believe the Packers desperately need to bring any of their other free agents back.
I would like to see a ball hawker and tackler in the draft

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see some actual tacklers on the team. Via draft, free agency or trade.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see some actual tacklers on the team. Via draft, free agency or trade.

A lot of the fan base hasn't embraced guys that at their core are just solid surefire tacklers when they get their hands on a guy. Martinez, Barnes both fit that bill....you want more explosion or more sideline to sideline that typically comes with less surefire tacklers...not always - not saying that. However, I also expect to see Quay step up in this more as he becomes grossly more confident and comfortable.

Reaction score
I would like to see a ball hawker and tackler in the draft
You know you’ve got a bad Defense when fans clamor for us to draft or Trade for a “Tackler”! :roflmao:

Gute’s Office Door on DraftDay:

“Gone Fishin’ for a “Tackler”
Be back tomorra!””!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

A lot of the fan base hasn't embraced guys that at their core are just solid surefire tacklers when they get their hands on a guy. Martinez, Barnes both fit that bill....you want more explosion or more sideline to sideline that typically comes with less surefire tacklers...not always - not saying that.

According to PFF neither Martinez nor Barnes were exceptional tacklers (based on missed tackle percentage) compared to Quay in his rookie campaign. There's hope Walker will be able to improve in that area.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to PFF neither Martinez nor Barnes were exceptional tacklers (based on missed tackle percentage) compared to Quay in his rookie campaign. There's hope Walker will be able to improve in that area.

Isolating the LB style of those guys based solely on a missed tackle metric is the exact approach you despise folks making in other times.

Folks say Lazard sucks at separation yet I always point out if he sucked so bad at separation how does he constantly convert in big moments (3rd downs and 4th downs). Both things can be true, and one doesn't erase the other. Martinez and Barnes are your in the box tackling style LBs - they're not as gifted in range or side to side potential in coverage, but they rack up tackles.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of the fan base hasn't embraced guys that at their core are just solid surefire tacklers when they get their hands on a guy. Martinez, Barnes both fit that bill....you want more explosion or more sideline to sideline that typically comes with less surefire tacklers...not always - not saying that. However, I also expect to see Quay step up in this more as he becomes grossly more confident and comfortable.
Agree on Barnes but for a middle linebacker Martinez was never the guy as far as I was concerned. Different positions require different types of tacklers

Reaction score
Agree on Barnes but for a middle linebacker Martinez was never the guy as far as I was concerned. Different positions require different types of tacklers
I never understood the critical jabs at Martinez. He was a solid selection in Round 4 who routinely stayed in the top 1-5 leaguewide at numbers of Tackles AND TFL
Now I’ve never seen a fan who piled on him present any appealing or worthy data that he was significantly worse than the other ILB’s in that top 10 area.

I’m still waiting to see generous evidence of Other iLB’s throughout the league who did BOTH
Nearly led the league in Tackles
ANDAllowed minimal to zero yards per tackle.

If Blake was so bad, how did he lead the Giants in tackling in NY and they ranked top 10 in Rushing allowed per game (111.4)??
Is it possible Blake wasn’t the problem?

Let’s look further…
2017-2020
Averaged 149 tackles
Averaged 8.5 TFL
Averaged 4.25 QB hits
Averaged 3 Sacks

Only 5 LB’s across the last 4 seasons have better Tackle AND TFL numbers and most couldn’t do it consistently like Blake. I had to include anomaly seasons and some exceeded Blake’s average 1 time. The closest comparison who was more consistent in production is Roquon Smith. He’s a household name and Drafted in Round 1
R Smith
Z Franklin
F Oluokin
J Brooks
J Hicks

Where does his absence leave us today? Are we better off?
139.5 allowed and 26th in rushing D!
Makes me want to puke

We all look for a scapegoat, but Blake carried his weight. Now the other 10 guys I’m not so sure about.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I never understood the critical jabs at Martinez. He was a solid selection in Round 4 who routinely stayed in the top 1-5 leaguewide at numbers of Tackles AND TFL
I'm going off the "eye test", but from what I remember, Blake gave up too much ground before he made all those tackles. He was a bit slow to the ball carrier and also not all that great on coverage. So yes, he made a lot of tackles, but one might say it was the offense attacking his spot, because they knew he would give up some yards.

Side note, Blake retired from the NFL at the age of 28, reportedly after he sold a rare Pokémon card.

Reaction score
I'm going off the "eye test", but from what I remember, Blake gave up too much ground before he made all those tackles. He was a bit slow to the ball carrier and also not all that great on coverage. So yes, he made a lot of tackles, but one might say it was the offense attacking his spot, because they knew he would give up some yards.

Side note, Blake retired from the NFL at the age of 28, reportedly after he sold a rare Pokémon card.
Gotcha. However you’ll have a hard time convincing me that opposing teams purposely attacked him. If so it apparently was not a good idea. It put his Giants Rush D in a leading position as a #10 rushing Defense.

As you noted. I agree that I there were times he met a ball Carrier a few yards past LOS. However if he was so slow or late getting to the ball they would’ve ran by him altogether. Unless we suggest he’s faster than most RB’s or ball carriers, which doesn’t equate he’s a 250lb.

Not to detract to much here from thread. I’d be curious though what the average yards to contact were compared to his peers. Also was that a result of our system? We ran quite a few light boxes in GB and paid dearly for it. You can’t expect to routinely keep 6-7 in the box unless you are a superior DL.

Again. If we so bad he wouldn’t be the nucleus of a Run D averaging a very good 111 per game in 2020. Id argue that doesn’t happen without solid iLB play. The Giants were 18th in D rushing attempts but stifled those attempts for 10Th in yards.
Where would they rank in Rushing with the 10th most Rush attempts? #7? #5?
The eye test may be just that. But the sniff test and the results show the opposite. He was a top LB and product of an overall poor scheme in GB.
Now NY didn’t pay him 8 figures because they evaluated poor film.
I Trust their evaluation they’ve always produced good Defenses and it obviously paid dividends. The guy was a 4th round steal.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Gotcha. However you’ll have a hard time convincing me that opposing teams purposely attacked him. If so it apparently was not a good idea. It put his Giants Rush D in a leading position as a #10 rushing Defense.

As you noted. I agree that I there were times he met a ball Carrier a few yards past LOS. However if he was so slow or late getting to the ball they would’ve ran by him altogether. Unless we suggest he’s faster than most RB’s or ball carriers, which doesn’t equate he’s a 250lb.
The stat that I would LOVE to know is "How many yards were picked up before Martinez contacted the ball carrier/receiver, as well as YAC(contact)." Then compare that number to other inside linebackers. That would tell you a lot about Martinez. I am also aware that it is the job of the defensive line to either not let a runner through or at minimum keep the ILB's clean, to make those tackles, so that is also a factor.

No doubt that Martinez had good instincts and was a decent tackler, I just remember him as being a bit too slow to the ball.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The hate Blake got was always IMO unjustified, but not resigning was also something I was fine with and understood.

Just like Lazard is a bum and a JAG some claim which is unequivocally incorrect but I’ll still be hearing otherwise for years after he is gone.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which speaking of which, Green Bay has made an offer to him.

No details of if multi year or what but now in his court.

Not gonna lie he is the perfect vet for Doubs and Watson to flourish….because neither will be blocked by him for development but also will get to watch constantly how to do the dirty things that win games from one of the best.

Members online

Latest posts