Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would also open up draft more IMO.

Resign Lazard I’m not drafting a WR till third or fourth.

Imagine a world where Lazard is back, you get draft capital of some kind for Rodgers trade….add a starting OL, say a safety by end of Day2 and edge and throw in a Luke Musgrave and say Tucker Kraft.

Resign Big Dog cheap one year and TE room is better than last two or three years. OL gets better and you still got Day 3 left

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The hate Blake got was always IMO unjustified, but not resigning was also something I was fine with and understood.

Just like Lazard is a bum and a JAG some claim which is unequivocally incorrect but I’ll still be hearing otherwise for years after he is gone.
Like Lazard, you might be confusing mild dissatisfaction with "hate"? I never hated or disliked Martinez or Lazard. Matter of fact, at the right price both have their place. That said, I prefer better options than either of them provided and if the Packers improve by replacing them, even better. Campbell was a decent upgrade over Martinez, IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Isolating the LB style of those guys based solely on a missed tackle metric is the exact approach you despise folks making in other times.

I'm not isolating the linebacker style of any of those guys. Just mentioned that neither Martinez nor Barnes tackled exceptionally well compared to their peers.

I never understood the critical jabs at Martinez. He was a solid selection in Round 4 who routinely stayed in the top 1-5 leaguewide at numbers of Tackles AND TFL
Now I’ve never seen a fan who piled on him present any appealing or worthy data that he was significantly worse than the other ILB’s in that top 10 area.

I’m still waiting to see generous evidence of Other iLB’s throughout the league who did BOTH
Nearly led the league in Tackles
ANDAllowed minimal to zero yards per tackle.

Martinez definitely worked out pretty well for a fourth round pick but he wasn't an elite player either. It seems there are some fans who believe that solely based on the total number of his tackles.

I would be interested in you providing a source for him allowing minimal to zero yards per tackle. In my opinion he made most of his tackles after the opponent already gained a decent amount of yardage. Just like A.J. Hawk did for most of his career.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like Lazard, you might be confusing mild dissatisfaction with "hate"? I never hated or disliked Martinez or Lazard. Matter of fact, at the right price both have their place. That said, I prefer better options than either of them provided and if the Packers improve by replacing them, even better. Campbell was a decent upgrade over Martinez, IMO.
Another two I was not satisfied with were Hawk and Barnett. Barnett getting hurt and Bishop taking over had a lot to do with winning the superbowl. Barnett always should have been on the outside. And not as a pass rusher.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another two I was not satisfied with were Hawk and Barnett. Barnett getting hurt and Bishop taking over had a lot to do with winning the superbowl. Barnett always should have been on the outside. And not as a pass rusher.

In a 3-4, he was fine as the weak ILB. The responsibilities and alignment is almost perfectly 1:1 to a 4-3 WOLB.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so is that agreeing with me?

Some yes, some no. I think a potential over-state is more accurate. Once we switched to a 3-4, he moved to a more-natural position for him.

We probably ended up the most-ideal grouping long term, Barnett was getting older, but I think Barnett + Bishop would have been better group in 2010.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember their play that far back LOL. All I remember now is some guy on ESPN boards named Mattcoach used to rail on Barnett all the time saying he couldn't be a linebacker because he stepped backwards so he was worthless.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember their play that far back LOL. All I remember now is some guy on ESPN boards named Mattcoach used to rail on Barnett all the time saying he couldn't be a linebacker because he stepped backwards so he was worthless.
Also, he had a nack for charging into the wrong hole at the line of scrimmage. And Martinez never did much charging at all. That is where I am really hoping the lights turn on for Q. Those kind of plays really psyche up the entire D imho.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that Crosby will end up being the Packers kicker if they re-sign him by default as that contract would most likely include some guaranteed money the team wouldn't want to walk away from.

I would like to have a kicker capable of kicking off into the end zone consistently.
Every team would also. But maybe they should see if there is a ST player with a leg powerful enough just to kickoff. Someone who can take a hit or deliver one as well. It would prevent the immediate risk of a Crosby getting hurt on a kickoff or having to avoid being the last man to stop a long return. We not only need an accurate kicker who can make the 35-50s consistently but one who can deliver in crunch time. Crosby got us into the NFC championship by hitting those 50s in Dallas twice at the end. Sure, weather was not a factor. But he overcame the home crowd, the icing, and Troy Aikman to make Aaron a hero. We could use that again some January.

D

Deleted member 6794

Every team would also. But maybe they should see if there is a ST player with a leg powerful enough just to kickoff. Someone who can take a hit or deliver one as well. It would prevent the immediate risk of a Crosby getting hurt on a kickoff or having to avoid being the last man to stop a long return. We not only need an accurate kicker who can make the 35-50s consistently but one who can deliver in crunch time. Crosby got us into the NFC championship by hitting those 50s in Dallas twice at the end. Sure, weather was not a factor. But he overcame the home crowd, the icing, and Troy Aikman to make Aaron a hero. We could use that again some January.

I definitely don't want the Packers to use one of the roster spots as well as a slot on the game day active roster for a player solely used to kickoff.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely don't want the Packers to use one of the roster spots as well as a slot on the game day active roster for a player solely used to kickoff.
Could be used on special teams. IE, punts. kickoffs, and returns. Some players are used solely on ST but can fill a position due to injury. Mitch Berger was one example for Dennis Green. When rosters were slimmer Lombardi used Max McGee and Boyd Dowler to punt. Later he used Donny Anderson, a first round high paid and eventually a starting RB to punt. It is not so unusual to have a player kick off who is not the placekicker.

D

Deleted member 6794

Could be used on special teams. IE, punts. kickoffs, and returns. Some players are used solely on ST but can fill a position due to injury. Mitch Berger was one example for Dennis Green. When rosters were slimmer Lombardi used Max McGee and Boyd Dowler to punt. Later he used Donny Anderson, a first round high paid and eventually a starting RB to punt. It is not so unusual to have a player kick off who is not the placekicker.

It's definitely unusual in today's NFL. I want the kicker to handle both field goals and kickoffs to save a roster spot. If Crosby can't get it done the team needs to move on from him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another can kicked out into the future. Packer adjust Campbell's contract.

Lot of cap medicine this year with Rodgers and some next year with a few push outs from this year and last that make swallowing Rodgers' hit doable.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Lot of cap medicine this year with Rodgers and some next year with a few push outs from this year and last that make swallowing Rodgers' hit doable.
Yup and seeing it around the league. Does anyone know what the Jets cap situation looks like? I assume if the Rodgers trade ever goes through for them, they have it in the works to sign him to a new contract, so that they can take a minimal hit this year and keep shopping for Free Agents.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and seeing it around the league. Does anyone know what the Jets cap situation looks like? I assume if the Rodgers trade ever goes through for them, they have it in the works to sign him to a new contract, so that they can take a minimal hit this year and keep shopping for Free Agents.

Or they exercise the option that spreads his hit and lowers it drastically

Members online

Latest posts