To Shut him down or Not??

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay Matthews has had little impact this season from what we are used to seeing...and since his injury he's had even less. The Packers control their own destiny now, and have two very winnable games to close out the season. The offense has seem to hit its stride so now we do t have to rely on the defense to holding the opponent tonubder 20 points (thank God). I'm 100% in favor of sitting him against the Viking Saturday ..and probably Detroit as well...especially if the Packers luck out and clinch a Wild Card spot this weekend.

We are going to need him wayyy healthier for the playoffs if we get in. This current Clay Matthews is just as guy. If they can get him rest, to get that shoulder more healed I'm all for it. We have very little pass rush and that's gonna come back and bite us against a good team if they don't get it together. Idk how much longer they can hold Perry out...or even Fackrell for that matter but something's got to give. Let Elliot play, and add more corner and safety blitzes to the game plan to generate pressure. We have to have healthy pass rushers.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This upcoming game especially, we need a solid pass rush to pressure Bradford & not give him time to throw. If I'm coaching I'd put him on a snap count & only play him on passing downs. Forces the Vikes Offensive to plan for him but gives CM3 some rest to continue getting well. Need Perry healthy for Detroit & (hopefully) playoffs so if he needs another week give it to him, otherwise snap count him as well.

D. Jones is playing for a contract so would be nice to see him do something "above average". Fackrell is back after a multi-week hammy, hopefully he gives a little pressure, also.

If can't get to Bradford with the front 5 our D-backs may have a tough time with Rudolph, Diggs & the other Vikes receivers so pressure is a must.

D

Deleted member 6794

Clay Matthews has had little impact this season from what we are used to seeing...and since his injury he's had even less. The Packers control their own destiny now, and have two very winnable games to close out the season. The offense has seem to hit its stride so now we do t have to rely on the defense to holding the opponent tonubder 20 points (thank God). I'm 100% in favor of sitting him against the Viking Saturday ..and probably Detroit as well...especially if the Packers luck out and clinch a Wild Card spot this weekend.

We are going to need him wayyy healthier for the playoffs if we get in. This current Clay Matthews is just as guy. If they can get him rest, to get that shoulder more healed I'm all for it. We have very little pass rush and that's gonna come back and bite us against a good team if they don't get it together. Idk how much longer they can hold Perry out...or even Fackrell for that matter but something's got to give. Let Elliot play, and add more corner and safety blitzes to the game plan to generate pressure. We have to have healthy pass rushers.

I agree that it doesn´t make any sense to play Matthews until his shoulder is significantly improved. As I´ve mentioned in another thread Elliott injured his hand early on special teams in the Bears game and therefore didn´t play on defense. Hopefully he will be fully healthy for Saturday´s game vs. the Vikings.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
His range of motion is suffering as is the strength, and needs injections to play. He most likely needs surgery, but resting until Jan 7th? if that would be the playoff weekend, may not be a bad idea.

D

Deleted member 6794

This upcoming game especially, we need a solid pass rush to pressure Bradford & not give him time to throw. If I'm coaching I'd put him on a snap count & only play him on passing downs. Forces the Vikes Offensive to plan for him but gives CM3 some rest to continue getting well.

The Packers have done that for the past few weeks yet Matthews wasn´t able to generate any pressure playing with one arm only.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he just seems to run right out of the play wide. I'd rather have Perry back pushing the pocket back than having a guy running towards the other endzone quickly. Matthews is not able to get any push right now. Sure they have to account for him, but barely. If it's getting better though, which I "think" it is because of his increased playing time, maybe he can go? I don't know. ALl I know is he's not been very effective at all.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His range of motion is suffering as is the strength, and needs injections to play. He most likely needs surgery, but resting until Jan 7th? if that would be the playoff weekend, may not be a bad idea.
if he's getting injections to play every week, he's a certain candidate for surgery in the future. How soon is the question.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have done that for the past few weeks yet Matthews wasn´t able to generate any pressure playing with one arm only.
The D needed a few snaps from him with Perry & Fackrell out... now those guys can do more & give CM3 spot duty. Clay did say it's starting to feel better, so limit his snaps and make them more-productive snaps, IMHO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Clay did say it's starting to feel better, so limit his snaps and make them more-productive snaps, IMHO.

Well, didn´t register a single stat on Sunday vs. the Bears in limited action mostly playing on passing downs only. It seems he wasn´t able to be any productive only two days ago.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This upcoming game especially, we need a solid pass rush to pressure Bradford & not give him time to throw. If I'm coaching I'd put him on a snap count & only play him on passing downs. Forces the Vikes Offensive to plan for him but gives CM3 some rest to continue getting well. Need Perry healthy for Detroit & (hopefully) playoffs so if he needs another week give it to him, otherwise snap count him as well.

D. Jones is playing for a contract so would be nice to see him do something "above average". Fackrell is back after a multi-week hammy, hopefully he gives a little pressure, also.

If can't get to Bradford with the front 5 our D-backs may have a tough time with Rudolph, Diggs & the other Vikes receivers so pressure is a must.

Your plan only works if Fackrell is up which he's been inactive for the last couple games. I worry less about Bradford than you do as well. I think Game 1 this year was an abomination, and the real Bradford/Vikings are what we've seen the last 8 weeks. I think we need to load the box and make Bradford beat us. Because we've seen AP healthy can and will beat us like we stole stuff.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may be playing hurt but the coaches are not playing him to his strengths either. I have said all along that he is just not big enough to go against a decent left tackle. He should either be only on the left side (and only if he can actually beat the right tackle) or he should be playing a kind of rover. We obviously need pass rushing help against a good O line and if he is given some leeway to pick out his own way...he could be very effective. Either red ******* the QB or helping on the outside against QB scrambles and screen plays. He does have very good instincts. I don't give a damn what he wants to do.

D

Deleted member 6794

He may be playing hurt but the coaches are not playing him to his strengths either. I have said all along that he is just not big enough to go against a decent left tackle. He should either be only on the left side (and only if he can actually beat the right tackle) or he should be playing a kind of rover.

Matthews has lined up exclusively on the left side since injuring his shoulder against the Eagles. There´s no doubt he has been more successful on the right side though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews has lined up exclusively on the left side since injuring his shoulder against the Eagles. There´s no doubt he has been more successful on the right side though.
Sorry, my reply was meant for Wimm.

D

Deleted member 6794

I really don't know how you can say that. Yes, when he plays against a weak left tackle; he cleans up. But a good one shuts him down.

It´s a fact that Matthews has had more success rushing the passer from the right side during his career.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess he was a step faster. But also, he cleans up against the poorer tackles.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I feel that Clay would not do well sitting. It seems as if he needs to "keep his motor running." Maybe this is something that McCarthy would sit down and discuss with Clay. Who knows.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel that Clay would not do well sitting. It seems as if he needs to "keep his motor running." Maybe this is something that McCarthy would sit down and discuss with Clay. Who knows.

I mean it's not like he hasn't already missed games because of his injuries this year. What's 1 or 2 more? I'd rather have him for Detroit than for Minnesota if anything.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mathews has a lot of gas left in the tank, but I think he needs to sit right now. It looks like he is avoiding contact.
Thomas has been mentioned as being more physical recently, but Im not seeing it. When Martinez is in there the defense stiffens up. Same with Perry. When they come back, I bet the secondary starts looking better.

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess he was a step faster. But also, he cleans up against the poorer tackles.

I don´t have any numbers to support that claim but I guess Matthews´ sacks have mostly come in bunches against below average left tackles.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t have any numbers to support that claim but I guess Matthews´ sacks have mostly come in bunches against below average left tackles.
And if it is true (which I believe it is); that should be taken into consideration by the coaches as to where he should play against different teams.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Didn't feel like getting deep enough to check the OLinemen, and I only looked at double-digit years, as it's tough to have sacks in bunches with >10 for the year), but FWIW -

2009 = 2 each vs Det, Bal, and Pitt (total = 10)
2010 = 3 each vs Phi and Buf (first two games of the season), 1.5 vs Wash (total = 13.5)
2012 = 2.5 vs SF, 3.5 vs Chi (first two games of the season), 2 vs Chi (total = 13)
2014 = 2 vs Buf, 2.5 vs TB (late in the season) (total = 11)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts