Tim Masthay has to be let go

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was really bad last year too and they brought someone in but almost immediately sent him on his way. He has had ample time to correct his issues. This is not the same as when Mason struggled because Mason was a very good kicker before his struggles. Masthay has never been all that great.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Masthay statistically was close to if not at the bottom last year and this year he falls somewhere in the middle. But as the OP stated, the stats don't truly reflect the poor job he did at doing what a punter is suppose to do and that is help win the field position battle. Masthay seemed to have his longest punts from 60 yards in, punts that went into the endzone. His shortest punts not only were from deep in our own territory, but they seemed to be low and returnable most of the time. All we can hope is that Zook and Co. are smart enough to know, that its time to make a change at a position I believe is more important then looking for "the best guy available".

Reaction score
I'm not always hasty when it comes to a mans career but I think it's fair to bring in competition and let him battle for his job

or put a picture of an axe sticking in a tree stump in his locker with words that read
"A little extra reminder from management that high production is a REQUIREMENT! .. NOT an expectation!"
:eek:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers_16-0, you Xed the first 6 of 7 posts on this thread (skipping a mod’s post for some reason ;)). I just wonder if you would like to chime in, in support of Masthay??

Maybe the poster named "Packers_16-0" IS Tim Masthay and he just shanked on hitting a mods post with an X?

Calvin Carolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its is time for a new D C The Defense collapsed the last 2 playoff losses no way Larry Fizgerard should have ran that far down the field . Somebody missed an assignment last year against Seattle the defense gave up a long touchdown to win it there should have being a safety back there with Travon change is good for the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I only think that his gross average looks normal because he was always punting into the endzone when he needed to drop it inside the 20. Something had to be off on his mechanics to shank so many punts this year.

Masthay shanked way too many punts this season but his net average was actually decent and the Packers led the league in average return yardage allowed. Zook said during an interview that they asked Masthay to do some things differently and not always try to kick it as far as possible.

With that being said because of too many mishits I would be in favor of replacing him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, but also believe that Zook was just taking heat for his punter mid-season. The off-season rarely lies.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Its is time for a new D C The Defense collapsed the last 2 playoff losses no way Larry Fizgerard should have ran that far down the field . Somebody missed an assignment last year against Seattle the defense gave up a long touchdown to win it there should have being a safety back there with Travon change is good for the team.

When did the defense collapse?

So how does a new DC assure us that this won't happen again and who is this DC?