Tim Masthay has to be let go

Favre3132

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tim Masthay cannot be the Packers punter next year. He was awful all year and was bad tonight against the Cardinals. His skud missle kicks cost the Packers the field position battle most of the game.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I totally agree and that's all I need to say about that.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are there any combination kickers/punters in the league? Maybe I'm grossly underestimating the difficulty, but it seems like there'd be at least a few guys that could do both well. Not totally on topic, but was just wondering.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gingers never prevail!!!. You would've think they learned after John Ryan. Masthay is terrible tho. You have zero weather to effect your punting and you still suck ? Yea gotta go.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't just cut him because you don't know you have anything better. You open the position to competition and let the best man win. A bunch of people, me included, were calling for Crosby to be cut 3 years ago. We now know what would have been a huge mistake. Bring in 2 or 3 punters and either he gets his leg back like Crosby did or he walks.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are there any combination kickers/punters in the league? Maybe I'm grossly underestimating the difficulty, but it seems like there'd be at least a few guys that could do both well. Not totally on topic, but was just wondering.

Place kicking is a precision task. You don't want your scorer to have a fatigued leg from punting 8 times in a close low scoring game.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
7.3 billion people on this planet. Someone has GOT to be better than Masthay. :tdown:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Place kicking is a precision task. You don't want your scorer to have a fatigued leg from punting 8 times in a close low scoring game.

That's probably valid. Just seems like someone whose life revolves around kicking a football could do it 5+ times without getting fatigued. But yeah, I'm sure you're right on that. Still surprised there aren't any combination kickers I'm aware of though.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's probably valid. Just seems like someone whose life revolves around kicking a football could do it 5+ times without getting fatigued. But yeah, I'm sure you're right on that. Still surprised there aren't any combination kickers I'm aware of though.

Plus having a punter who can also be the holder is very useful instead of having another player hold the ball.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was thinking that too, but then I got to thinking if the same guy had to punt 8+ times in a game, it could be the difference in him making a 55-yard game-winner and leaving it a couple yards short.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus having a punter who can also be the holder is very useful instead of having another player hold the ball.

Why? I've always been baffled about having punters hold the ball. IMO it should be a quarterback. They have more ability to improvise if something goes wrong.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? I've always been baffled about having punters hold the ball. IMO it should be a quarterback. They have more ability to improvise if something goes wrong.

It's so the back up QB can practice exclusively with the offense instead of having to split time between offense and special teams.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's so the back up QB can practice exclusively with the offense instead of having to split time between offense and special teams.
Well, given that the 3rd QB usually spends 80% of his time with his thumb up his *** on the sideline, why not have him hold? Flynn used to do it.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, given that the 3rd QB usually spends 80% of his time with his thumb up his *** on the sideline, why not have him hold? Flynn used to do it.

The Packers almost never have the 3rd QB active. Doesn't make sense to use a gameday spot on a guy who will only hold on kicks when the punter can do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts