Tim Masthay has to be let go

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You can't just cut him because you don't know you have anything better. You open the position to competition and let the best man win. A bunch of people, me included, were calling for Crosby to be cut 3 years ago. We now know what would have been a huge mistake. Bring in 2 or 3 punters and either he gets his leg back like Crosby did or he walks.

They tried that this year in camp and obviously failed to find anyone better. But I don't know, maybe Masthay is a "rock star" in practice, but he has been terrible come game time. This is one position that I say you use a 5th or 6th round pick for and get the best college punter available to do a pretty important job VS. using that pick for some guy who either doesn't make the roster or is dead weight.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't just cut him because you don't know you have anything better. You open the position to competition and let the best man win. A bunch of people, me included, were calling for Crosby to be cut 3 years ago. We now know what would have been a huge mistake. Bring in 2 or 3 punters and either he gets his leg back like Crosby did or he walks.

With some guys (B. Jones and Hawk are examples) it's a pretty safe bet that they can be cut and an improvement will be found.

Masthay seems like one of those guys.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers almost never have the 3rd QB active. Doesn't make sense to use a gameday spot on a guy who will only hold on kicks when the punter can do it.

I guess if you don't have a fake punt pass in your playbook that makes sense, but if you do, you need a QB to hold. Like I said before, many QBs have been holders in the past including Flynn.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They tried that this year in camp and obviously failed to find anyone better. But I don't know, maybe Masthay is a "rock star" in practice, but he has been terrible come game time. This is one position that I say you use a 5th or 6th round pick for and get the best college punter available to do a pretty important job VS. using that pick for some guy who either doesn't make the roster or is dead weight.

Fun fact: Tim Masthay broke the Packers all-time record for average net punt in a season, and net is what matters. Seems to me he's being instructed to punt for hang time rather than gross yards.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Fun fact: Tim Masthay broke the Packers all-time record for average net punt in a season, and net is what matters. Seems to me he's being instructed to punt for hang time rather than gross yards.

When you kick them out of the endzone from your opponents 40, or shank one out of bounds, that is going to help your net. But there were very few games this year that I recall Masthay having any control of his punts or actually helping the Packers to win the battle of field position.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gingers never prevail!!!. You would've think they learned after John Ryan. Masthay is terrible tho. You have zero weather to effect your punting and you still suck ? Yea gotta go.

John Ryan has been solid for Seattle. Just saying.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And Jerry Rice set every receiving record in the NFL, but no team is signing him any time soon. Masthay had a really bad season, simple as that. In 2015, he ranked #25 in the league in average and #14 in net. In 2014, he ranked #26 in average and #30 in net. Since taking over punting duties for the Packers in 2010, Masthay has never been in the top-10 in net. His best year was this year when he ranked #14.

Last edited:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From punter to QB. You draft your team according to philosophy... followed by talent. The Packers need a punter with pinpoint accuracy and situational awareness. Horrible punts last night. Horrible!!!

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Jerry Rice set every receiving record in the NFL, but no team is signing him any time soon. Masthay had a really bad season, simple as that.

Masthay broke that record THIS season.

In 2015, he ranked #25 in the league in average and #14 in net. In 2014, he ranked #26 in average and #30 in net. Since taking over punting duties for the Packers in 2010, Masthay has never been in the top-10 in net. His best year was this year when he ranked #14.

And yet his net average is still better than any other Packer punter has ever done. Green Bay isn't a kicking-friendly environment. Like I said before, gross average doesn't mean ****. Net is what matters. That's where the ball is spotted. If you're punting for hang-time to eliminate returns, you're going to lose some distance. Shorter gross with no return > long gross with big punt return.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And yet his net average is still better than any other Packer punter has ever done. Green Bay isn't a kicking-friendly environment. Like I said before, gross average doesn't mean ****. Net is what matters. That's where the ball is spotted. If you're punting for hang-time to eliminate returns, you're going to lose some distance. Shorter gross with no return > long gross with big punt return.

How about Arizona? :)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Stats can tell lies. This is a case of that.

Masthay was not a good punter this season.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stats can tell lies. This is a case of that.

Masthay was not a good punter this season.

Then what is your definition of a good punter? It seems all you deem to be important is gross average. Does field position not matter to you? That's the whole purpose of punting and Masthay had the best result in that regard in all of Packer history. That's a fact. Now if getting the best possible field position isn't the primary job of a punter, pray tell what is?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Packers_16-0, you Xed the first 6 of 7 posts on this thread (skipping a mod’s post for some reason ;)). I just wonder if you would like to chime in, in support of Masthay? Anyway, IMO a serious effort should be made to replace him. He’s under contract for $1.2M plus $100K workout bonus in 2016 so I wouldn’t cut him but I would bring in the best college P and/or pro P available and if the competition is close Masthay would be gone. BTW, a big reason his net average was his best this season is Janis, Banjo and the rest of the coverage team. Janis has been amazing covering some punts. (BTW, kudos to Ron Zook.)

Masthay seems more likely to disappoint in big games than to impress. The Packers go 3-and-out in their first possession last night and have to punt from their 17-yard line. A 45 yard net punt puts it at the Cards 38-yard line. What does Masthay do? Kicks a low ball 37 yards and has it returned 12 yards to the Packers 42-yard line. The great field position leads to the Cards’ first TD. [caution]By my math[/caution] his gross last night was 35.8 and his net was 32.8. Only his last punt was "inside" the 20 - it went 37 yards and was fair caught at the 20. Of course I’m not saying he cost them the game or anything close to that. What I am saying is there’s no reason not to do better than the mediocre Masthey.
But this is the Packers and no one gets let go unless the powers say so...
That’s how it is on every tream.
I am curious do the Packers carry 1 or 2 punters?
Just curious, which team do you follow?

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching the Bronco- Steeler game, it would seem we might be able to trade Masthay to them for a low draft pick. Their punter is even worse.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Masthay is set to make more than Eddie Lacy next year. More than our important and good left tackle Bakhtiari. Bak needs to be extended soon by the way.
Masthay needs to take a significant paycut to have any chance of being back next year. He's clearly not worth that salary.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His stats don't really show the problems, but at times his punting was putrid this season. I fully expect TT to bring in a serious FA or two to push Tim for his roster spot. An anemic offense needs a strong punter to keep the other team's offense further out. We usually didn't get big punts from Tim when we needed.

I only think that his gross average looks normal because he was always punting into the endzone when he needed to drop it inside the 20. Something had to be off on his mechanics to shank so many punts this year.

Croquet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His stats don't really show the problems, but at times his punting was putrid this season. I fully expect TT to bring in a serious FA or two to push Tim for his roster spot. An anemic offense needs a strong punter to keep the other team's offense further out. We usually didn't get big punts from Tim when we needed.

I only think that his gross average looks normal because he was always punting into the endzone when he needed to drop it inside the 20. Something had to be off on his mechanics to shank so many punts this year.
Mashtay was horrible. It is time.

Members online

Latest posts