The Offseason, from now until September

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the season is officially over, now let's start talking about all the potential possibilities this offseason. Here's something to kick things off: Off-season begins today - JSOnline

The main highlights of that article include 2 things:

1) Al Harris' roster bonus which the packers are urging him to cut back until he decides if he's healthy enough to play next season. There's also been a rumor going around that the pack may decide to cut him but that's highly doubtful. He is also considering retirement.

2) I don't know if you guys heard but the Jaguars are making two big roster moves, one including cutting OT Tra Thomas who used to start for the eagles. He was a 3 time pro bowler who excelled with that team. At age 36 he's very questionable as to how much he has left in the tank. There's also another rumor suggesting that TT has already scheduled workouts with unclaimed FA starting this month and Thomas could be one of them.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a must read. It puts it very clearly the Harrell situation.

About Tra Thomas. No thank you. It's best to keep Clifton, than to get him...

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well TT does like'em cheap even w/o the salary cap in place so Thomas looks like the better candidate. Thomas' '09 salary was in the $2-3 million range whereas Clifton is looking for something double that.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well TT does like'em cheap even w/o the salary cap in place so Thomas looks like the better candidate. Thomas' '09 salary was in the $2-3 million range whereas Clifton is looking for something double that.
Totally disregarded the money aspect.

You're totally right.

IF Clifton is dumb enough to ask for that kind of money...

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Just read the Packers have 8-1 odds to win the Super Bowl next year according to the Mirage. Only the Cowboys and Colts had better odds at 5-1 and 6-1 respectively. Here's hoping the NFC championship game is in Green Bay and we pummel the Cowboys, go to Dallas for the Super Bowl and win it all again. Should be an exciting off season.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The thing with Tra Thomas is that at 34 years old he started and finished all 16 games to include a post season with the Eagles. Even though he is older he appears to be in better physical condition. In his prime he was a solid pro bowl left tackle.

I believe with Jacksonville he remained healthy. If we can get him for 2 million and Clifton who was paid 8 million last year wants at least 4 or more, I would rather have Thomas and give the difference to sign Collins.

IMO Clifton can not finish a season and will go down when we need him the most. Tra Thomas may have enough for one more year which is questionable where as Clifton has answered that question.

I think a better option is going after Bushrod of the Saints, who just started in the Super Bowl in his 3rd year and held Jerad Allen to 2 tackles and ZERO sacks in the NFC Championship game. The Saints already have a pro bowl left tackle in Brown who went on the IR mid season for a sports hernia. Saints have over 25 players as free agents and I think it is almost impossible for one team to keep two young starting left tackles in this league.

If Bushrod is not the answer at left tackle he can play the left guard position 2 to 3 years down the road. But he is a better short term fix with potential.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing with Tra Thomas is that at 34 years old he started and finished all 16 games to include a post season with the Eagles. Even though he is older he appears to be in better physical condition. In his prime he was a solid pro bowl left tackle.

I believe with Jacksonville he remained healthy. If we can get him for 2 million and Clifton who was paid 8 million last year wants at least 4 or more, I would rather have Thomas and give the difference to sign Collins.

IMO Clifton can not finish a season and will go down when we need him the most. Tra Thomas may have enough for one more year which is questionable where as Clifton has answered that question.

I think a better option is going after Bushrod of the Saints, who just started in the Super Bowl in his 3rd year and held Jerad Allen to 2 tackles and ZERO sacks in the NFC Championship game. The Saints already have a pro bowl left tackle in Brown who went on the IR mid season for a sports hernia. Saints have over 25 players as free agents and I think it is almost impossible for one team to keep two young starting left tackles in this league.

If Bushrod is not the answer at left tackle he can play the left guard position 2 to 3 years down the road. But he is a better short term fix with potential.

Well it would depend on which one the Saints are willing to let go. Who knows, maybe since both tackles are great players the Saints would have to place high tenders on both of them, meaning that we might have to sacrifice a draft pick or two.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
A pretty nice reference for 2010 possible free agents:
2010 NFL Free Agents

Looking at the LB section of that list, if Thompson wants to trade Hawk and sign Karlos Dansby, by all means, go for it Ted. Please.

Members online

Latest posts