The Free Agency Thread

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A resounding YES to Matthews. Huge upside here. If they can get this guy it would be right there with Mo as the best move of the offseason.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the correct day? 2 players? Not reported elsewhere? And when called out he stuck to his guns?!??!

Frickin A!! Dont be an ***hat. Give the guy some props!

You are right. Even though I'd seen both names suggested before and tied to the Packers none were more than suggestions.

I'm sorry Frozen. Good Job.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The more I read about Jordan Matthews, the more I like. As long as his knee is fine, I think he would be a great signing. Love his size, his age, team player and untapped potential with #12. Not sure if he takes Cobb's place (Cobb cut) or they move him outside for a year.

Signing Matthews might be the last piece the offense needs to be able to go into the draft without worrying about drafting a WR in the second Rd. Although I do like EQ Brown from Notre Dame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The more I read about Jordan Matthews, the more I like. As long as his knee is fine, I think he would be a great signing. Love his size, his age, team player and untapped potential with #12. Not sure if he takes Cobb's place (Cobb cut) or they move him outside for a year.

There really wasn't any thought when he was coming out of Vandy that he had to play in the slot. The book on him was just that he had inside/outside versatility. So I don't know if that perception is because of any actual limitation or if it's just because that's where Chip Kelly used him when he got into the league.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People think he’s a slot only because he’s been a slot only in the NFL for four years. Maybe the Packers think they can get more out of him. I’ve never understood athletically why it was such a necessity. But that’s why people consider him a slot only player.
agree. to me a 6'3" 4.46 guy has no business in the slot.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Panthers have signed Cockrell. He got a 2 year 6.8M$ deal.

It's interesting... before FA many (myself included) saw Melvin and Cockrell as pretty comparable options. And maybe they are. But Melvin got more in one year than Cockrell will get in two. I wish I could sit down with a pro scout and ask him what separates the two so much.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I don't know about that... Matthews has demonstrated that he has a lot of business in the slot. But I'm not sure he has to be restricted to that role. Maybe there's something in his game that dictates that, but I don't know what that would be.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about that... Matthews has demonstrated that he has a lot of business in the slot. But I'm not sure he has to be restricted to that role. Maybe there's something in his game that dictates that, but I don't know what that would be.
sure he can play the slot but to put him there with those measureables doesn't make sense unless the guys at 1 and 2 are better/more experienced.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
sure he can play the slot but to put him there with those measureables doesn't make sense unless the guys at 1 and 2 are better/more experienced.

A lot of teams will use their #1 receivers in the slot on occasion just to create match-up issues.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Take Gaines off your FA list of CB's

CB EJ Gaines headed to the Browns, source says. Reunited with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who coached him with the Rams.

Last edited:

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He had great speed but doesn't play like that. He has problems separating from coverage downfield and doesn't use his hands the best either. He is best in the slot because his over the middle routes are his best work. He struggled mightily in Buffalo due to injuries and the fact that Taylor isn't great at throwing over the middle passes. He could probably be effective for us on the outside much like Jordy last season. Tough to say what he could do with Rodgers throwing him the ball.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had great speed but doesn't play like that. He has problems separating from coverage downfield and doesn't use his hands the best either. He is best in the slot because his over the middle routes are his best work. He struggled mightily in Buffalo due to injuries and the fact that Taylor isn't great at throwing over the middle passes. He could probably be effective for us on the outside much like Jordy last season. Tough to say what he could do with Rodgers throwing him the ball.

Jordy wasn't effective on the outside last year.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Jordy wasn't effective on the outside last year.
Why this is so difficult for some on this forum to come to grips with is baffling.

I was in favor of keeping Jordy if he would restructure and if he would be willing to move inside. I think any level minded Packers fan would admit that we needed/need an upgrade on the outside opposite of Adams.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At least we signed Wilkerson and didn't trade for Bennett. Sounds like Bennett likes to beat up on old ladies. :x3:

New #Eagles DE Michael Bennett was indicted by a Harris County grand jury on a felony charge of injuring an elderly paraplegic woman at Super Bow LI.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am still having troubles not laughing at the notion of Bennett pushing an elderly paraplegic security guard aside. Yes, I know that is terrible.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am still having troubles not laughing at the notion of Bennett pushing an elderly paraplegic security guard aside. Yes, I know that is terrible.

I'm starting to think those 2 Bennett Brothers sniffed a lot of glue together as kids. :coffee:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts