The Beer Sport

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`ve discovered a great way to combine two hobbies into one. I have discovered the joy of gardening in my old age and a lot of plants can be grown from cuttings in water. What better containers for it but empty beer bottles ? I`m putting up shelves in my outhouse for my bottle collection and the wife isn`t complaining either.

Wait, is this the excuse you give your wife to go drinking?

"Honey, I'm off to the biergarten"

;)

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Victory has some really great brews.

I just picked up a 12 of Founders Dirty B*****d

I've always liked Victory Beers too. Golden Monkey, Hop Devil are some of my fave's. I just noticed they have a "Lager Re-defined"... or something like that. I'd love to try that one.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
My wife and I were out at a local pub for lunch. I ordered Guinness with my meal. At the end of the meal my wife got up to leave and noticed I still had 1/3 of my glass of Guinness to drink. She sat back down and commented; "You're sure nursing that one." To which I replied; "Guinness is meant to be savored, not slammed (down)." I didn't get the wonderfully affirming reaction I thought I would...:confused:

Sky King

Reaction score
My wife and I were out at a local pub for lunch. I ordered Guinness with my meal. At the end of the meal my wife got up to leave and noticed I still had 1/3 of my glass of Guinness to drink. She sat back down and commented; "You're sure nursing that one." To which I replied; "Guinness is meant to be savored, not slammed (down)." I didn't get the wonderfully affirming reaction I thought I would...:confused:
Revenge for all the times you had to be the companion/Sherpa on shopping excursions? (I hear the "Man Song" playing in the background...)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To which I replied; "Guinness is meant to be savored, not slammed (down)." I didn't get the wonderfully affirming reaction I thought I would...:confused:

Is it possible to slam down Guinness? It'd be like slamming down a steak, I suppose. It's quite heavy and couple of pints would constitute a meal replacement imo.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Guys, I'm hopeless. The last couple of times I've gone out to eat with the wife, I've ordered a nice cold Guinness on tap. I haven't found anything that compares. BTW, I just found out the idea that Guinness is to be consumed warm is a myth. In Ireland apparently they prefer to drink their Guinness cold and Guinness even recommends drinking it cold. I just love learning new important facts of life! :tup:

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Guys, I'm hopeless. The last couple of times I've gone out to eat with the wife, I've ordered a nice cold Guinness on tap. I haven't found anything that compares. BTW, I just found out the idea that Guinness is to be consumed warm is a myth. In Ireland apparently they prefer to drink their Guinness cold and Guinness even recommends drinking it cold. I just love learning new important facts of life! :tup:

I have to admit when I`ve drank cold draft Guinness it`s almost tasteless. I much prefer bottled guinness myself.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Wait a minute, wait a minute. Don't you people drink a "spo' o tea" instead of coffee? Talk about tasteless.... ;)

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

As the resident brewer and beerologist, I feel inclined to speak.

Quite a bit of clarification is needed regarding this subject, and temperature and defined temperature are crucial to understanding the differences. Actual Celsius or Fahrenheit degrees are needed when trying to tell someone if you should drink it warm or cold. How cold is cold? How warm is warm?

The old adage, that the British drink their beer cellar temp (often mis-diagnosed as warm) and Americans only drink their beer ice cold, is often misunderstood. Cellar temps in Europe are actually very cold. Just ask Buggy when he goes down there wearing only his knickers. Not all Americans drink ice cold beer, nor are most American beers served ice cold. Definitions of warm and cold need to be defined only in terms of temperature. You can decide whether that temp is considered warm or cold for you.

In saying that, different beers are served at different temperatures.

1. Lagers and Pilseners are served at the coldest temperatures, around 41F, 5C

2. Most craft beers (IPA's, Amber ales, hefeweizens, Porters and Belgians...) are served around 46F, 8C.

3. British real ales, bitters, barleywines, Abbey beers, Old Ales, and Baltic Porters should be served around 53F, 11-12C

CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) describes an appropriate temperature for Guinness to be served between 50-53F, 10-12C. Whether you consider that cold or warm is a personal preference.

The biggest thing to remember is that the colder the beer is served, the less flavorful it is. Hence, the warmer the beer is, the more flavors you will taste. That's why very complex beers like English Old Ales and Barleywines are served not ice cold so you can taste the immensity of flavors. Often, you'll see Budweiser advertised as Ice Cold Beer, that's because you need to drink it Ice Cold so you don't taste the Preservatives and other non tasty components of that beer. And remember, there is no such thing as room temp beer... Room temp is 65-75. England never reaches those temperatures even in the summertime. :p:D

(Burp) - Now, back to your beer drinking everyone.

-BundesBiers

Members online

Latest posts