The Beer Sport

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football season might be over, but Alcohol season is all year round!

I'm sitting here drinking something called Sweetwater Dank Tank Smokey and the Brett. Quite a name, huh! And quite unique a taste. I've never had a beer with this complex flavour. Got 7.3% alcohol.

Funky taste with a sweet/sour finish. Dry with a slightly tangy flavour. A bit of hop to give it the backbone.

Been a long time since a draft beer interested me this much.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm sitting here drinking something called Sweetwater Dank Tank Smokey and the Brett. Quite a name, huh! And quite unique a taste. I've never had a beer with this complex flavour. Got 7.3% alcohol.

Funky taste with a sweet/sour finish. Dry with a slightly tangy flavour. A bit of hop to give it the backbone.

Interesting, never heard of it before. Where does this sour taste come from, did they add any fruit flavours or is it a special kind of hops?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting, never heard of it before. Where does this sour taste come from, did they add any fruit flavours or is it a special kind of hops?

I'm not sure. Had 3 glasses...just for research purposes.

Tasted like plums, red wine, citrus with some fizz. Jeez that sounds horrible....but really can't find a proper way to describe this...but it was really very good. It definitely had fruit undertastes, but is not a fruity beer. Has a hoppy edge, but not really a hoppy beer. Damn, this is difficult to classify.

Try it if you can get it there. I'm going back for this...more research, I mean.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

Unreal that you mentioned that. I found in cans 2 weeks ago Sweetwater Dank Tank Pulled Porter... a bacon and smoked beer.

I thought the smoked and bacon flavors were subdued. The Porter base beer was really good tho. I like this beer a lot.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bacon beer? Hmmm.

I'm so undecided on this. Sounds very similar to :roflmao:

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Bacon beer? Hmmm.

I'm so undecided on this. Sounds very similar to :roflmao:

Do yourself a favor and go to Total Wine & Spirits, and pick up a bottle or two of Schlenkerla. They carry it.

It is the classic smokedbeer from Germany and has flavors of cooked ham and bacon. If you are like me, you'll love it. Some people don't care for it which is why I only suggest buying 2 bottles.

Here's a photo of what the bottle looks like. Rauchbier actually means Smokebeer.

Schlenkerla makes 4 different smokedbiers and I recommend you start with the original, which is the Marzen. They also have a Smoked Weizen, a Smoked Bock, and a Smoked Dopplebock, plus a Lagerbier. Go for the marzen and see if you like it.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonight it's African Liqueur time. Tastes similar to Baileys. Not bad at all!

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gose Gone Wild Phuket

Unique beer. Not really strong at 4.3%. Very sour with citrus, lemongrass sea salt and Thai Chilli running rampant. Thai food in a brewery! Tasty.

Not sure I can drink more than a pint, but as a refresher it's brilliant to start the drinking session with.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gose Gone Wild Phuket

Unique beer. Not really strong at 4.3%. Very sour with citrus, lemongrass sea salt and Thai Chilli running rampant. Thai food in a brewery! Tasty.

Not sure I can drink more than a pint, but as a refresher it's brilliant to start the drinking session with.
Very interesting but not sure what to think of a beer with Thai Chili ? :cautious:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
My oldest son works for Google. This afternoon one of the upper management men came in and taught my son and his team all about Scotch. He brought Scotch glasses for each of them, then he taught them how to taste Scotch and what to look for in a good Scotch. All of the bottles of Scotch he brought for them to taste were over $100 each. They spent the afternoon learning about good Scotch. What a tough job he has. ;) Maybe I should have been a computer nerd.... :whistling:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My oldest son works for Google. This afternoon one of the upper management men came in and taught my son and his team all about Scotch. He brought Scotch glasses for each of them, then he taught them how to taste Scotch and what to look for in a good Scotch. All of the bottles of Scotch he brought for them to taste were over $100 each. They spent the afternoon learning about good Scotch. What a tough job he has. ;) Maybe I should have been a computer nerd.... :whistling:

Yeah, Google challenges traditions that way. Earlier in my career, I used to work in a place where the head of department insisted everyone wear a tie. I mean, it's not like we face clients. All of the job is manipulating data in a laptop, why do we need a tie?

Drinking alcohol whilst hanging out with mates is easy. But talking and getting business over drinks is a wholly different prospect. I learnt it the hard way in China and Singapore. Good he gets a chance to 'learn' this.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Croak, we need more informations about the Whiskys that he tried please :D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Google challenges traditions that way. Earlier in my career, I used to work in a place where the head of department insisted everyone wear a tie. I mean, it's not like we face clients. All of the job is manipulating data in a laptop, why do we need a tie?

Drinking alcohol whilst hanging out with mates is easy. But talking and getting business over drinks is a wholly different prospect. I learnt it the hard way in China and Singapore. Good he gets a chance to 'learn' this.
Well, must be a matter of culture nowadays. I'm working in the sales department (media) and do have some big clients that I need to face for business frequently. And it has changed in the recent years. I remember times to be out with clients for lunch or dinner and of course we always had some bottles of wine or a couple beers, a digestif etc. together. Whatever the client wanted, regardless if it has been a lunch or dinner.
Nowadays it seems to be a little inappropriate to drink alcohol, especially when having lunch, more likely to have some when meeting for dinner.
But of course I can only speak for Germany and my business field. However, making big business over drinks does not seem to work anymore. May be different in other countries. Btw -same with having exciting events together with clients. For legal and compliance reasons they are even not allowed anymore to accept any invitations.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is what I have in the fridge to chose from for dinner:

Ratsherrn Pilsener => Pilsener
Franziskaner Kristallweizen => wheat beer
Ugly Duck "Miami Weiss" => wheat ale
Hopper Bräu "Dunkle Macht" (dark force) => Porter
Störtebeker "Atlantik Ale" (Stortebeker was a famous German pirate) => Ale

cheers ;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Ah, good to know. :tup: Have been to York last year but havent seen anything else in (North) Yorkshire so far......

I think you have to make an appointment, but that's what makes this trip special. I`ll get more info for you.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I'm stuck working in Indianapolis for 2 weeks. Ugh. At least the Three Floyds brewery is good.

Members online

Latest posts