The Aaron Jones 2021 FA thread.

Should the Packers extend Aaron Jones (est. ~11M/season)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
True, but who do you feel comfortable about adequately replacing the players possibly being released this offseason?
My thoughts are more along the lines of “who does the coaching staff feel comfortable about in their development”.
There appears to be candidates for replacing King, Amos and Kirksey. There is also imo going to be a hefty number of free agents without contracts next August who will not be in a good bargaining position.

D

Deleted member 6794

My thoughts are more along the lines of “who does the coaching staff feel comfortable about in their development”.

As I don't have access to the coaching staff I'm asking you for your opinion though.

There appears to be candidates for replacing King, Amos and Kirksey. There is also imo going to be a hefty number of free agents without contracts next August who will not be in a good bargaining position.

The fact that King, Amos and Kirksey play 100% of the snaps when healthy is a strong indicator the coaching staff doesn't feel comfortable about anyone currently on the roster adequately replacing either of them.

Unfortunately the Packers won't have a lot of cap space to make moves for the free agents having to sign for less than their market value in previous seasons.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As I don't have access to the coaching staff I'm asking you for your opinion though.

The fact that King, Amos and Kirksey play 100% of the snaps when healthy is a strong indicator the coaching staff doesn't feel comfortable about anyone currently on the roster adequately replacing either of them.

Unfortunately the Packers won't have a lot of cap space to make moves for the free agents having to sign for less than their market value in previous seasons.
I will keep an eye on snap counts going forward but I think either Jackson or Hollman might be ready to move up to the #2 CB next September. It could be Martin and Barnes next year at ILB. Not sure about safety development but you are correct in that Amos is playing all the snaps .

D

Deleted member 6794

I will keep an eye on snap counts going forward but I think either Jackson or Hollman might be ready to move up to the #2 CB next September. It could be Martin and Barnes next year at ILB. Not sure about safety development but you are correct in that Amos is playing all the snaps .

Hollman has only been able to get on the field once injuries hit at cornerback. Martin only played 13 snaps vs. the Jaguars despite Kirksey being the only inside linebacker playing the majority of snaps.

I highly doubt any of them will be ready to contribute in a huge way next season.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you let players like Jones King and linsley walk and just take in the

True but how often do we put three safeties on the field?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where it could hurt most is in terms of depth.

Right now, if Kirksey gets hurt then Martin plays a lot more and you're ok.

Next year, if Martin gets hurt then someone like Summers plays a lot more and you're not ok.

The rookie class will be critical to fill out that depth chart. The Packers should have 10 picks to work with.

This is a late reply, but this next draft could be a good one for us from a depth and starter standpoint. Linsley and Jones should net us good comp picks and perhaps King will as well especially if he finishes strong. Pie in the sky we get 3 3rd round comp picks but we probably wind up with 3 spread from rounds 3-6. We ought to expect to get at least one steady contributor out of those picks and this could give us more flexibility for the rest of the draft, with more ability to move up and target players when opportune.

Personally there isn't a case here anymore Jones is gone and almost certainly always was gone even without the cap reduction. How do you keep your franchise running back when you already have invested so much into your quarterback through his salary, his LT and lest we forget the 4 year extension that Tae signed back in 17. I think Williams' affordability and the drafting of Dillon finishes that discussion off.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a late reply, but this next draft could be a good one for us from a depth and starter standpoint. Linsley and Jones should net us good comp picks and perhaps King will as well especially if he finishes strong. Pie in the sky we get 3 3rd round comp picks but we probably wind up with 3 spread from rounds 3-6. We ought to expect to get at least one steady contributor out of those picks and this could give us more flexibility for the rest of the draft, with more ability to move up and target players when opportune.

Those comp picks won't be given till 2022 draft however...remember losing Martinez, Bulaga and such don't give us comps until the 2021 draft.

That said, depending how this all shakes out - I'm hoping someone gambles on King with a serious pay day..he is the epitome of a roller coaster - one minute he is everything you want out of a corner, next yikes he is your #3. Someone is gonna need serious corner play and get him. Linsley is still a top 20 Center in the league, we just don't have that need...and of course Jones is gonna get serious solid starter cash. Tonyan could even be playing himself into something...

That knowledge + our comp picks for 2021...I see the 2021 draft as one to do some serious draft pick packaging and moving up - try to pull off a double 1st round pick year....pushing the gas pedal now in the last few years of Aaron + establishing some real youth at spots as well for when the transition away from him occurs.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those comp picks won't be given till 2022 draft however...remember losing Martinez, Bulaga and such don't give us comps until the 2021 draft.

That said, depending how this all shakes out - I'm hoping someone gambles on King with a serious pay day..he is the epitome of a roller coaster - one minute he is everything you want out of a corner, next yikes he is your #3. Someone is gonna need serious corner play and get him. Linsley is still a top 20 Center in the league, we just don't have that need...and of course Jones is gonna get serious solid starter cash. Tonyan could even be playing himself into something...

That knowledge + our comp picks for 2021...I see the 2021 draft as one to do some serious draft pick packaging and moving up - try to pull off a double 1st round pick year....pushing the gas pedal now in the last few years of Aaron + establishing some real youth at spots as well for when the transition away from him occurs.

Shoot, head slap.

According to this blog we get two comp picks in round 4 and one in round 6. Which IMO is a pretty good haul and yes should provide some more chances or a lot more flexibility.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-d...k-projections-for-every-team-0ap3000001112252

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Gonna be honest, I see this as another sign he ain't coming back. Here's to hoping he takes us out on top...
Yeah, that’s a bad sign for sure.

Rosenhaus is a pain to deal with for Russ Ball I’d bet.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Depends how the Packers draft board looks at the time. Could be that they’d trade back with a package to get multiple top 75 or top 100 picks. Might allow them to get 5 prospects in the top 100.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that with extra picks in rounds 4 and 6 that the best value should shake out in rounds 2 and 3 for trade ups. There should be a good chance to grab value players who fall farther than they should.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knows I'm a huge fan of building picks in that 45-90 range so I'm not opposed to that thought process as well - and is much easier to do than getting twice into the first.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Linsley is still a top 20 Center in the league, we just don't have that need.

Over the weeks there's been a lot of hate for Linsley, and I am not sure why.

PFF has him ranked #1 out 39: "Up front, Linsley has been the anchor of a stout Packers offensive line. In a year when the Packers have dealt with constant shuffling of their line, Linsley has been a reliable force. He’s having the best season of his career, in a contract year, no less. He’s getting it done in both the run and passing games."

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...rs-ranked-no-1-at-their-respective-positions/

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Personally there isn't a case here anymore Jones is gone and almost certainly always was gone even without the cap reduction. How do you keep your franchise running back when you already have invested so much into your quarterback through his salary, his LT and lest we forget the 4 year extension that Tae signed back in 17. I think Williams' affordability and the drafting of Dillon finishes that discussion off.

Seems that most project Martinez and Bulaga to warrant 4th rounders, and Fackrell a 6th rounder.

In the case of Jones, Linsley, and King, my best guess would be a 4th, 5th, and a 6th. Jones could get a lucrative deal, but he's a running back, so it won't be all that huge. Linsley will end up bringing a round or two less than Bulaga. And King isn't playing well enough, I don't think, it bring a very high pick.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gonna be honest, I see this as another sign he ain't coming back. Here's to hoping he takes us out on top...

Bad omen.... Mike Mckenzie and Javon Walker both hired this guy before they left town... Always seeks top dollar.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone knows I'm a huge fan of building picks in that 45-90 range so I'm not opposed to that thought process as well - and is much easier to do than getting twice into the first.
I’m definitely in that fan club as well. Generally speaking, after the first 15 prospects, the natural athletic talent level of picks 15-45 is very similar. I just don’t see a lot of difference in having pick 26 or pick 36 other than bargaining power which is significant.
I know some will point to TJ Watt as proof that I’m wrong, but in retrospect, his value was a top dozen pick on the off the chart strength of his intangibles.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems that most project Martinez and Bulaga to warrant 4th rounders, and Fackrell a 6th rounder.

In the case of Jones, Linsley, and King, my best guess would be a 4th, 5th, and a 6th. Jones could get a lucrative deal, but he's a running back, so it won't be all that huge. Linsley will end up bringing a round or two less than Bulaga. And King isn't playing well enough, I don't think, it bring a very high pick.
I have no reasonably reliable guess in what I believe will be a very abnormal free agent market this March. Your guess of a 4,5 and 6 is probably as good as any. There are a lot of variables in play this off season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something that has me a bit confused as that in this coming year with the salary cap going down, we gave Bachtiari the most money an O lineman ever got. I think what will be important to Aaron Jones will be the signing bonus.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt javon fizzle?

Mike did well in NO?

Javon had a tough time away from football after he left GB, pretty understandable that he fizzled out.

Mike led the Saints in INT's during his healthy stretch with them, he did well until injuries began to do their thing.

Good players, probably could have kept them both under different circumstances. Though, trading Mike led us to getting Nick Collins, and the pick from Denver I think was traded to get Greg Jennings (I think, that 2nd round that year was confusing). So in the end we did ok. That was prime time Ted Thompson.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bulaga will only bring back a 5th or 6th because of some weird rule regarding 10+ year veterans and comp picks.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Over the weeks there's been a lot of hate for Linsley, and I am not sure why. PFF has him ranked #1 out 39.

I know PFF does extensive research as well, but I'm not a fan of its overuse. That's just me though. It seems it is taken as gospel truth and there's no arguing it.

I don't think anyone is hating on Linsley. We know he is a good player. We just can't afford to keep all our good pending free agents. It's been shown that our oline is versatile and pretty deep. With giving Bak that money there's not much left to go around and especially on the line.

Something that has me a bit confused as that in this coming year with the salary cap going down, we gave Bachtiari the most money an O lineman ever got. I think what will be important to Aaron Jones will be the signing bonus.

One thing to note about the cap going down is that this is going to impact a lot of teams including the Packers. There will be a lot of cap causalities this next offseason. There will be a lot of guys out of work and I believe there will be a lot of "one year rentals" up for grabs. Sure, it is not long term, but it will get a lot of teams through the COVID cap until it goes back up. I'm not that worried about losing some of these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts