The Aaron Jones 2021 FA thread.

Should the Packers extend Aaron Jones (est. ~11M/season)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given how running backs age and how 2nd contracts often turn out for them, this deal is a risk.

Without full contract details, it’s hard to say if that risk is high or low. If the base APY is really 9.5, the Packers got an amazing deal.

But one things for certain— the Packers are better with Aaron Jones. Keeping him while they push for a ring with Rodgers makes sense in the short term.

Better to have Aaron Jones than to play against him.

Reaction score
If Jones can get 1240 yds every year of this contract, I think we'll being saying that the Packers got a great return for the investment.

I'll wait for that math to hit somebody else....
It’s amazing. What’s really intriguing also is that I believe we have 2 RBs possibly capable of 1000 rushing if given a balanced workload. I don’t think I can say that about any tandem in recent history snd the only ones I can recall coming close are Lacy-Starks in Lacys early years (but I’d clearly favor this duo) Jones is also in the “impact” area as a Receiver holding the #13 spot of all RBs and I’m not sure he’s even peaked yet there. He’s likely a top #10 RB receiving candidate this year with Dillon as his co pilot.
I learned from Cross Country years ago that it’s a team sport. It’s a cumulative average of producers and it’s also much better to have multiple top 20% of the sport type guys than 1 superstar. If that Superstar goes down? it’s all uphill running from there. We have talent and depth of talent and anyone trying to commit to stop it has to contend with #12 and that’s serious Jeopardy.
My only major concern on Offense is finding a replacement for Corey. Directly or indirectly (shifting players) he’s one hell of a Center.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is probably a sign of the Packers "going all-in" for Aaron Rodgers, to the extent that they can based upon salary cap. Interesting move that I wasn't really expected, but am happy that a guy that wanted to stay, that we wanted to stay, was willing to do so with a favorable guaranteed number.

This all but guarantees that Green Bay will wait until Wave #2 of free agency before making a move.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is probably a sign of the Packers "going all-in" for Aaron Rodgers, to the extent that they can based upon salary cap. Interesting move that I wasn't really expected, but am happy that a guy that wanted to stay, that we wanted to stay, was willing to do so with a favorable guaranteed number.

This all but guarantees that Green Bay will wait until Wave #2 of free agency before making a move.

I think that's the right play anyway... Wave #2 is still going to have lots of talent this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like that the Packers were able to retain Jones but I'm definitely not a fan of paying a running back that much money.

In my opinion that money would have been better spent on a different position.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I like that the Packers were able to retain Jones but I'm definitely not a fan of paying a running back that much money.

In my opinion that money would have been better spent on a different position.
I haven’t seen the details of the contract structure but I suspect it gives the Packers some leverage to cut him late in the contract.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's pretty much a done deal that Lindsley and Williams are gone. I am still hoping to keep Lewis and Taylor if he can come back healthy and pick up where he left off.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven’t seen the details of the contract structure but I suspect it gives the Packers some leverage to cut him late in the contract.

This says no other guaranteed money is expected beyond the 13 million at signing. I havent seen this confirmed anywhere else but if true it seems like a very good deal for the Packers

"Per NFL Network, there is not expected to be any further guaranteed money in the deal. Therefore, releasing Jones in the future would likely only cost the remaining prorated signing bonus remaining. With a $13 million signing bonus, it prorates at $3.25 million per year. Thus, releasing Jones is expected to cost $9.75 million, $6.5 million, and $3.25 million in 2022, 2023, and 2024, respectively."

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/aaron-jones-contract-details-salary-bonuses/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts