The Aaron Jones 2021 FA thread.

Should the Packers extend Aaron Jones (est. ~11M/season)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I know PFF does extensive research as well, but I'm not a fan of its overuse. That's just me though. It seems it is taken as gospel truth and there's no arguing it.

I don't think anyone is hating on Linsley. We know he is a good player. We just can't afford to keep all our good pending free agents. It's been shown that our oline is versatile and pretty deep. With giving Bak that money there's not much left to go around and especially on the line.

One thing to note about the cap going down is that this is going to impact a lot of teams including the Packers. There will be a lot of cap causalities this next offseason. There will be a lot of guys out of work and I believe there will be a lot of "one year rentals" up for grabs. Sure, it is not long term, but it will get a lot of teams through the COVID cap until it goes back up. I'm not that worried about losing some of these guys.
Totally agree. I think it’s going to be standing room only in the veteran free agent scrap heap next spring and summer.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is hating on Linsley. We know he is a good player. We just can't afford to keep all our good pending free agents. It's been shown that our oline is versatile and pretty deep. With giving Bak that money there's not much left to go around and especially on the line.
Though not many want to acknowledge that he hiked the ball to his own butt in two games making turnovers. One being the SF playoff game. The other Tampa. Both high intensity games.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga will only bring back a 5th or 6th because of some weird rule regarding 10+ year veterans and comp picks.

Hadn't heard about anything like that and can't find anything with a basic search. Can you elaborate or point in the right direction?

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Though not many want to acknowledge that he hiked the ball to his own butt in two games making turnovers. One being the SF playoff game. The other Tampa. Both high intensity games.

Didn't he do that in the Indy game too, or was that one on Rodgers?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't he do that in the Indy game too, or was that one on Rodgers?
Don't remember that one. Sometimes my streaming (when I have to use it) screws up for bits at a time. Have you ever seen the trash that people write on those streaming pages? Man, I'm not a choirboy but ...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Incorrect, we also have Patrick Taylor out of Memphis who signed a 3 year deal.

Patrick Taylor has begun practicing with the Packers, so it will be interesting to see if they activate him in the coming weeks. I remember liking the film of him, but he hasn't played a down of football in almost a year, so I don't expect much. Hope to see a bit of him, just to see if he is a possible contender to replace Williams next season.

2020 UDFA Patrick Taylor practicing with Packers today - Acme Packing Company

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patrick Taylor has begun practicing with the Packers, so it will be interesting to see if they activate him in the coming weeks. I remember liking the film of him, but he hasn't played a down of football in almost a year, so I don't expect much. Hope to see a bit of him, just to see if he is a possible contender to replace Williams next season.

2020 UDFA Patrick Taylor practicing with Packers today - Acme Packing Company

I saw that too. I am not sure he will be activated this season, but look to him to at minimal be in picture 2021 with Jones and Williams both possibly gone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I saw that too. I am not sure he will be activated this season, but look to him to at minimal be in picture 2021 with Jones and Williams both possibly gone.

Maybe they just want to see him practice for the allotted time (21 days) before they shut him down. However, I would think that the Packers would have just waited until next season to evaluate him if there wasn't some thoughts of him potentially playing this season. Makes sense to at least get him ready, since I think currently he would be considered the 4th RB on the team.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There’s every reason to get a good look at Patrick and Dillon down the stretch given the status of the position going into next season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing the article (link below) from Pete Dougherty made me do some thinking:
https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...es-change-agents-likely-good-sign/3943408001/

Dougherty claims that Aaron Jones signing with Drew Rosenhaus is potentially a good sign that Jones wants to stay with Green Bay. It's an interesting perspective about Rosenhaus that I was not aware of until reading the article. More importantly, it made me think about re-signing Aaron Jones. Here is my problem with this scenario overall:
  • Green Bay has been remarkably good at drafting WRs, OL, and RBs
  • Green Bay has been remarkably bad at drafting most positions on defense
If we are going to tie up top-of-the-pay-scale dollars, I would rather it be for the Kenny Clark's of the world, on the defensive side of the ball. I feel confident that the Packers can draft another left tackle, running back, or wide receiver if we let one of our top guys go in free agency. Kenny Clark and Jaire Alexander are great drafts by Green Bay, but there is a pretty sharp dropoff after that. Maybe Gary, Martin, and Savage will turn out to be great but none are proven studs yet so too early to tell. I feel like the Packers should save their coins to spend on defensive players in FA, because we seem to really struggle to draft good players on that side of the ball.

I don't see the wisdom in paying top dollar for positions that we seem to draft well, and then having no money to bring in players for the positions that we failed to draft well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I envision Jones walks and we sign a veteran free agent in the $1.5-$3M rangle...think Fournette, Yeldon, Freeman type signing IF we don't resign Jamaal. I think the Franchise will be fine with hitting 2021 with Jamaal, Dillon, Dexter and Taylor + draft pick most likely.

However, lot to shake out yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I envision Jones walks and we sign a veteran free agent in the $1.5-$3M rangle...think Fournette, Yeldon, Freeman type signing IF we don't resign Jamaal. I think the Franchise will be fine with hitting 2021 with Jamaal, Dillon, Dexter and Taylor + draft pick most likely.

However, lot to shake out yet.

I really like Jones, but I agree with what seems to be a large majority of people here and football fans in general, RB's are just not the position you want to find yourself paying top dollar to. There is no doubt Jones is a top 5 back in the league and deserves the money, I just don't see that huge of a drop off by giving 1/2 (or even less) the money to Williams, use a 4th round pick on a rookie and potentially sign a FA.

I think we have all noticed that both Jones and Williams stats have increased since MLF took over, I don't think that is a coincidence, MLF uses them both much more than MM did, especially Jones as a receiver. But while Jones carries and yards are up, his yards/carry are down. Williams on the other hand has increase his ave. yards/carry.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Jones, but I agree with what seems to be a large majority of people here and football fans in general, RB's are just not the position you want to find yourself paying top dollar to. There is no doubt Jones is a top 5 back in the league and deserves the money, I just don't see that huge of a drop off by giving 1/2 (or even less) the money to Williams, use a 4th round pick on a rookie and potentially sign a FA.

I think we have all noticed that both Jones and Williams stats have increased since MLF took over, I don't think that is a coincidence, MLF uses them both much more than MM did, especially Jones as a receiver. But while Jones carries and yards are up, his yards/carry are down. Williams on the other hand has increase his ave. yards/carry.

Williams will never be the home run chance type guy like Jones, but MLF system I'd argue doesn't lose much between the two. If Dillon can be a dependable #2 the sheer fiscal issue of everything and big cuts coming 2021 Jones just has vastly too many chips stacked against it being logical to resign him.

Sucks. Doesn't mean I like it. Hate it actually.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sucks. Doesn't mean I like it. Hate it actually.

Fully agree. You never like to lose a guy like Jones, but I don't think you do the overall team any favors by spending big dollars on him and having to scrimp on positions of greater need.

All that said, Ball is pretty crafty with the salary cap, so if the Packers really think they can't live without Jones, they will find a way to make it work. If they choose that route, lets just hope they leave enough money in between the couch cushions to improve the defense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF the organization knows when they're walking from Rodgers...there is a spot to push money towards....read an article that the contract structures of Green Bay signings in off season would say a lot....that was pre covid issues tho...

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the firing of his agent is kind of a puzzle to me. clearly his last agent was playing hardball with the Packers as there was no deal. he then hires an agent known for playing hardball. so making a deal to stay was never in jones thinking.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they decide they're in the market for a cheaper veteran RB, I'd be looking at guys like:

-Jeff Wilson Jr (SF)
-Boston Scott (PHI)
-Mike Boone (MIN)
-Tevin Coleman (SF)
-Mike Davis (CAR)
-Malcolm Brown (LAR)
-Devontae Booker (LV)

I'd avoid bigger names who are mostly used up (Smith, Yeldon, etc.).

And I'd take Jamaal back over any of them.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they decide they're in the market for a cheaper veteran RB, I'd be looking at guys like:

-Jeff Wilson Jr (SF)
-Boston Scott (PHI)
-Mike Boone (MIN)
-Tevin Coleman (SF)
-Mike Davis (CAR)
-Malcolm Brown (LAR)
-Devontae Booker (LV)

I was a big Booker fan when he came out and was drafted by Denver. Was shocked he didn't stick there. Can catch which is something I like as that #2/#3 type addition.

Love the Boston Scott nod. 4.4 speed short dude, I could see him being on our radar for sweep type guy if we don't ask Austin/Ervin back.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

-Jeff Wilson Jr (SF)
-Boston Scott (PHI)
-Mike Boone (MIN)
-Tevin Coleman (SF)
-Mike Davis (CAR)
-Malcolm Brown (LAR)
-Devontae Booker (LV)

i think they should sign williams and draft another one. idk. he may be gone too. what a mess.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The other 2 reasons I am fine with letting Jones walk:
  1. Keep him hungry and wanting to perform for the remainder of the season.
  2. 2022 Compensatory pick. I assume with the type of contract he will garner, the Packers would get a 3rd round comp. pick by letting him walk.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
i think they should sign williams and draft another one. idk. he may be gone too. what a mess.

Agree. That would be plan A for me-- and hopefully the draft pick would have some speed.

But if Williams prices himself out, then I'd look to one of those other guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts