The Aaron Jones 2021 FA thread.

Should the Packers extend Aaron Jones (est. ~11M/season)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jones takes it as a slap, it is purely his agent's fault for not elaborating or making sure he understood why the organization had to offer it in such a manner. Fiscally we have our credit cards cut, our wallet is neary empty and that $20 in there atm has to pay for gas, somekind of dinner and keep the wife happy.

Obviously you don't know my wife, there is no keeping her happy especially with no gas and a $20 dinner budget.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
:rolleyes:
We're only 2 weeks in. Wait until next season predictions roll in when the schedule is released or after we don't draft the "media pundits say we gotta have him" player in the draft.
errr...... I meant season, not year.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF they franchise him who we cutting Turner or Amos?

Cuz if the cap washes out at 180 say, cut Lowry, Burks, Kirksey, Wagner and Preston - and tag Jones...you're still not gonna hit cap with rest of roster fill out/draft.
they can't/won't franchise jones. that would be a cap it of 100% of the franchise number...12-14 mill. that is absolutely not happening.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh no doubt, I think the biggest issue is the organization is still figuring out precisely what cuts are going to happen....evaluating that scenario and knowing exactly what they will do could trigger a revisit with Jones.

The Packers first need to get an idea about where the salary cap will be set for 2021.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can most likely retain Tonyan for next season by placing a second round tender on him for less than $4 million.
Green Bay has FINALLY found/developed a 4 down TE who can block and stretch the seam.

Why would we give another team, probably in a better cap situation, the ability to set-the-market on Tonyan? Sure Gute can always choose to NOT match an offer, but then we lose Tonyan & gain a 2nd round pick. They front-load the contract & GB has no chance of matching.

Will Gute find a better TE in the 2nd round, who can step right in and perform better?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Green Bay has FINALLY found/developed a 4 down TE who can block and stretch the seam.

Why would we give another team, probably in a better cap situation, the ability to set-the-market on Tonyan? Sure Gute can always choose to NOT match an offer, but then we lose Tonyan & gain a 2nd round pick. They front-load the contract & GB has no chance of matching.

Will Gute find a better TE in the 2nd round, who can step right in and perform better?

I think you might be overrating Tonyan a little bit.

I really like the player, and I don't think he's necessarily hit a ceiling, but I doubt any team would be lining up to both pay him and give up a 2nd rounder.

A lot of his opportunities in the offense are scheme-based. It's not like he's routinely defeating man coverage.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

So what are you suggesting they do with Tonyan? I have been saying what Captain said for awhile now, because he is a RFA. Tagging him would only cost the Packers $3,422,000. If he is worth a lot more, another team will offer him more, but the tag gives the Packers the option to meet that offer or get a 2nd round pick.

If this was an ordinary cap year and we didn't have lots of questions elsewhere, then maybe you work a big contract out with Bobby T. I just don't think you need to until next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

As Dantés and Pokerbrat pointed out I highly doubt another team would offer Tonyan a huge contract on top of having to give up a second round pick to acquire him.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope it’s an AFC team. (New England). Hopefully the She-hawks don’t have the cap space.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah. Hopefully here but with Drew Rosenhaus as his agent, he could end up doing push ups in his driveway.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would take soooooooo much money to get me to go to Buffalo

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope it’s an AFC team. (New England). Hopefully the She-hawks don’t have the cap space.

While the Seahawks are in a better position regarding the cap than the Packers they don't have a lot of space to work with either.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, who cares as this point. I like Aaron Jones and think he's a good guy too but in the NFL today you really, really have to have a RB that can

1) Run well, Catch well, ...AND Block well
2) BE a truly generational type of talent to resign to a 2nd contract

They're honestly just a dime a dozen with a short shelf life unless there is some massive discount.

Look at how well even Bell has done...?

When Lacy had 2 solid seasons and then just got FAT... no one really complained to replace him because you can just find another RB that is YOUNGER and CHEAPER in the NFL draft anyways

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what are you suggesting they do with Tonyan? I have been saying what Captain said for awhile now, because he is a RFA. Tagging him would only cost the Packers $3,422,000. If he is worth a lot more, another team will offer him more, but the tag gives the Packers the option to meet that offer or get a 2nd round pick.

If this was an ordinary cap year and we didn't have lots of questions elsewhere, then maybe you work a big contract out with Bobby T. I just don't think you need to until next season.
Agreed. And I'd like to see another season with Tonyan and figure out if his recent success was more due to scheme than route running. It's probably both, it usually is, but we do know he can get open and catch the ball, between the 20s and in the red zone. That's better than a lot of the recent TEs in GB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. And I'd like to see another season with Tonyan and figure out if his recent success was more due to scheme than route running. It's probably both, it usually is, but we do know he can get open and catch the ball, between the 20s and in the red zone. That's better than a lot of the recent TEs in GB.

I think one of the traits rare in Tonyan is his boundary awareness on catches. Cook had it too, not many TE's have that awareness, Tonyan showed flashes of way above normal level of it on some balls this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I tend to agree that Tonyan is probably more a product of the system than he is a product of development. Not saying he hasn't developed, but I sure the hell wouldn't want to see the Packers pay him top 5 TE money, when they can simply slap a 2nd round tender on him. Not only will they be able to get more date on him next season, they can continue to assess Deguara and Sternberger.

Some don't like tags, stating that it isn't paying the guy what he is worth. I would ask "Do you think that guy will pay the money back if it turns out he is being overpaid?"

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to agree that Tonyan is probably more a product of the system than he is a product of development. Not saying he hasn't developed, but I sure the hell wouldn't want to see the Packers pay him top 5 TE money, when they can simply slap a 2nd round tender on him. Not only will they be able to get more date on him next season, they can continue to assess Deguara and Sternberger.

Some don't like tags, stating that it isn't paying the guy what he is worth. I would ask "Do you think that guy will pay the money back if it turns out he is being overpaid?"

I am hoping we bring in a TE Day 3 or UDFA that is in the same build and type as Sterny to pressure him, 2021 is his last chance IMO - prove you're worth keeping around or make room for potential growth by someone else.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dear Lord.....do you need a better representation of the value of a RB in today's game.......now granted base salary is used...so touch of cheating for illustration purposes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones certainly didn't leave a good taste in everyone's mouth after that last game. He's a big play threat, no doubt, but seemed to get taken off his feet running between the tackles by arms and fumbled twice when they hit him hard. Had he toughed out 90-110 yards, a score and a couple 1st down runs I think it would have proved his value. Instead I think he did the opposite. I know he won't be judged on one game, that would be silly, but that 1 half of football illustrated every reason I have to not pay him big bucks.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pray those pulling the purse strings are never so easily changed or swayed by one game inputs; good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts