The 5 Love Directions

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if that were his attitude, I'd let him walk out for free and watch him fall on his face.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only did the Packers waste Love's development but they wasted his opportunity to show what he has and get paid on his 2nd deal, assuming he believes in himself. I would be demanding a trade.

Finally something we mostly agree on :)

Love isn't the type of young man that will be an issue, especially publically - however at some point him and his camp are going to say "let me go make a chance on my future". If it isn't this year, it most certainly will be before the 2023 season because that is his last year on a deal a team would be willing to pay for him to prove it on before getting that lucrative 2nd contract in the league after betting on himself.

It is literally multi-millions he will be losing out on if he just quietly sits behind Rodgers till his 4th year in his rookie deal comes up...at some point I would bet his agent becomes a PITA to GB brass.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If I was Love, and if his agent wasnt also Rodgers agent, I would be livid at the Packers. Theyve wasted 2 years of his development. Say what you want about sitting behind someone. I believe that can be used for a year at max. Anytime more than that is wasting a QB. They need to get on the field and play. They needs actual game reps to learn. Practice with and against the #2s can only get you so far.

Not only did the Packers waste Love's development but they wasted his opportunity to show what he has and get paid on his 2nd deal, assuming he believes in himself. I would be demanding a trade.
Rodgers demanded a trade in 06?

Reaction score
If there's another franchise out there willing to give up a first or second rounder for him I'll be more than happy to drive him to wherever that team is located in on short notice though.
Pretty funny on the you being Loves Uber :laugh:You guys would have a tremendous amount to chat about on that drive! He’d probably jumo out of your vehicle while it was still moving:roflmao:

Last edited:

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers demanded a trade in 06?
It has been talked about on podcasts with Silverstein if I remember correctly that Rodgers agent was pressuring the Packers for answers on whether he would ever play for them or not. I dont think it ever gotten to demanding a trade status but Rodgers wanted to play and prove his worth. I know he wasnt happy riding the bench as long as he did.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I believe the team also felt Rodgers was done. No one can argue that. They were wrong. I said it at the time we drafted Love. The FO felt so confidently it was a Rodgers problem and not a them problem. They werent looking inward at the core problem which was offensive playmakers.

1) Rodgers had no weapons around him outside of Adams. Gutey thought a 31 year old Graham who has dealt with a ton of injuries was going to make up for the loss of Nelson and he couldnt be more incorrect.

2) The FO was too stupid to understand Rodgers and the entire offense for that matter was in its first year of the Shannahan style offense. Historically that offense struggles year one and explodes year two.

The FO only wanted to blame Rodgers for the team struggling instead of putting weapons around him and giving him a chance to grow into a brand new system. They let him grow but they still havent done anything to give him weapons.
Were they blaming him for the bad 2018 season? That was MM's team. A lot of players did not do well that season. And the one before he had the broken clavicle. And even with weapons the defense was rather nonexistent most of the MM-Capers era.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was Love, and if his agent wasnt also Rodgers agent, I would be livid at the Packers. Theyve wasted 2 years of his development. Say what you want about sitting behind someone. I believe that can be used for a year at max. Anytime more than that is wasting a QB. They need to get on the field and play. They needs actual game reps to learn. Practice with and against the #2s can only get you so far.

and as a backup… you would have exactly zero leverage…

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally something we mostly agree on :)

Love isn't the type of young man that will be an issue, especially publically - however at some point him and his camp are going to say "let me go make a chance on my future". If it isn't this year, it most certainly will be before the 2023 season because that is his last year on a deal a team would be willing to pay for him to prove it on before getting that lucrative 2nd contract in the league after betting on himself.

It is literally multi-millions he will be losing out on if he just quietly sits behind Rodgers till his 4th year in his rookie deal comes up...at some point I would bet his agent becomes a PITA to GB brass.
I think you are ignoring the other side… his rookie contract, while not huge when comparing it to other successful NFL QBs is still worth over 12 million dollars guaranteed. Without digging too deeply, I think you will find that a lot of QBs drafted out of college that get a chance early, start a few games and are never heard from again. None of us knows which one Love would be.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are ignoring the other side… his rookie contract, while not huge when comparing it to other successful NFL QBs is still worth over 12 million dollars guaranteed. Without digging too deeply, I think you will find that a lot of QBs drafted out of college that get a chance early, start a few games and are never heard from again. None of knows which one Love would be.

Utterly confused? Love's contract is fully guaranteed in 3rd and 4th year, something the new team would be taking on that 4th year still low cap hit to test what he is before having to spend more normal money on him as a potential starter or surefire starter.

He loses NOTHING requesting a trade to actually go somewhere with a real shot at a starting job and proving to the league or that team he is worth a contract once his is up OR for a team to exercise his 5th year option - something Green Bay will never do because of the cap hit of his plus Rodgers most likely still here or could be would be INSANELY high for 2024 season.

The longer Love sets here, not able to show anything to the league behind Rodgers lessons his chances at that first non-rookie deal being more or higher...he's getting his money regardless - Green Bay could cut him tomorrow and every last dime on his contract is due him as it was guaranteed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love requests a trade because he feels keeping your back to back MVP QB instead of giving him reigns he has not shown he's ready for and he has a team that gave him a guaranteed contract on top of it is costing him, I'd send him out for a ham sandwich of that's what it took to get rid of him.

I don't think he has that poor of an attitude though. It's not like he's been sitting here for 5 years. Yes at some point he'll need to play. He's a screwed up Covid year and 1 season into his career. He'll get his chances. If he was that anxious, don't sign the contract and go back into the draft and then he'd only have to sit 1 year. LOL

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Utterly confused? Love's contract is fully guaranteed in 3rd and 4th year, something the new team would be taking on that 4th year still low cap hit to test what he is before having to spend more normal money on him as a potential starter or surefire starter.

He loses NOTHING requesting a trade to actually go somewhere with a real shot at a starting job and proving to the league or that team he is worth a contract once his is up OR for a team to exercise his 5th year option - something Green Bay will never do because of the cap hit of his plus Rodgers most likely still here or could be would be INSANELY high for 2024 season.

The longer Love sets here, not able to show anything to the league behind Rodgers lessons his chances at that first non-rookie deal being more or higher...he's getting his money regardless - Green Bay could cut him tomorrow and every last dime on his contract is due him as it was guaranteed.
I’m reading this and thinking…. so what? My point is that he is not being used. He is making 12 million dollars to be a backup. That is his job, and it is the contract that he signed when he was drafted. Is it possible that he could possibly be more? Sure.… again so what. It’s also very possible that he gets his chance and fails miserably. I’m not going to start arguing the fairness of NFL rookie contracts. They are what they are and there is reason for it. It was negotiated by and ratified by both the players and the NFL. Again Love is guaranteed over 12 million dollars already. His 5th year option is estimated to be worth about 20. He is not suffering.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love requests a trade because he feels keeping your back to back MVP QB instead of giving him reigns he has not shown he's ready for and he has a team that gave him a guaranteed contract on top of it is costing him, I'd send him out for a ham sandwich of that's what it took to get rid of him.

I don't think he has that poor of an attitude though. It's not like he's been sitting here for 5 years. Yes at some point he'll need to play. He's a screwed up Covid year and 1 season into his career. He'll get his chances. If he was that anxious, don't sign the contract and go back into the draft and then he'd only have to sit 1 year. LOL
This is just so ignorant. Basically Love has 1 year left to prove himself. No one is going to pick up his option if he doesnt prove himself prior to the deadline. The Packers just signed their QB to a reported 4 year deal. Love has 1 year to prove himself... the Packers dont have 1 year to give him to prove himself.

Every game Love spends on the bench doing nothing his value drops in terms of trade compensation and his value as a free agent. I would be furious if I was Love. When a player is taken as a 1st round pick there is an unwritten understanding that the player is going to be given the opportunity at the very least to be the teams franchise player. Especially at QB. To be clear Im putting myself in Loves headspace here. He wasnt even given a fair shot at ever winning the starting job.

And with all that its why the pick is all the more stupid. I truly believe this was the dumbest pick in Packers history. Madarich was probably one of the worst but to an extent it made sense. He was supposed to be a good player and did get playing time. It made absolutely 0 sense to take Love. Its neck and neck with the Harrell pick for most brain dead selection.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m reading this and thinking…. so what? My point is that he is not being used. He is making 12 million dollars to be a backup. That is his job, and it is the contract that he signed when he was drafted. Is it possible that he could possibly be more? Sure.… again so what. It’s also very possible that he gets his chance and fails miserably. I’m not going to start arguing the fairness of NFL rookie contracts. They are what they are and there is reason for it. It was negotiated by and ratified by both the players and the NFL. Again Love is guaranteed over 12 million dollars already. His 5th year option is estimated to be worth about 20. He is not suffering.

Who in the world said he is suffering?

From his camps perspective it makes perfect sense to say look if I’m not gonna be used as a first round prospect it’s time to let me play elsewhere.

The only reason I think if we see love quietly never say a word and for two years never really get to see or show anyone what he can be when keys are truly his and watch his market for second contract plummet will be solely due to him being an incredibly high character guy.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just so ignorant. Basically Love has 1 year left to prove himself. No one is going to pick up his option if he doesnt prove himself prior to the deadline. The Packers just signed their QB to a reported 4 year deal. Love has 1 year to prove himself... the Packers dont have 1 year to give him to prove himself.

Every game Love spends on the bench doing nothing his value drops in terms of trade compensation and his value as a free agent. I would be furious if I was Love. When a player is taken as a 1st round pick there is an unwritten understanding that the player is going to be given the opportunity at the very least to be the teams franchise player. Especially at QB. To be clear Im putting myself in Loves headspace here. He wasnt even given a fair shot at ever winning the starting job.

And with all that its why the pick is all the more stupid. I truly believe this was the dumbest pick in Packers history. Madarich was probably one of the worst but to an extent it made sense. He was supposed to be a good player and did get playing time. It made absolutely 0 sense to take Love. Its neck and neck with the Harrell pick for most brain dead selection.
He has two, 2022 and 2023 he is still on rookie non 5th year option

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team would have to decide by the end of this season whether to excercise his option or not. So 1.
Even without a team could still provide him a one year prove it year in 2023 season for less than $4M cost to them

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who in the world said he is suffering?

From his camps perspective it makes perfect sense to say look if I’m not gonna be used as a first round prospect it’s time to let me play elsewhere.

The only reason I think if we see love quietly never say a word and for two years never really get to see or show anyone what he can be when keys are truly his and watch his market for second contract plummet will be solely due to him being an incredibly high character guy.
I guess. I’m not going to jump up and down and praise him for simply honoring the contract he signed though. The reality is that he really has no leverag anyway. he could demand a trade… even sit out etc… but that’s not much of a threat when he is not expected to play lol. Id be fine if the Packers wanted to trade him …. if they could get something, but at this point … I’m not sure many teams would want to give up much.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess. I’m not going to jump up and down and praise him for simply honoring the contract he signed though. The reality is that he really has no leverag anyway. he could demand a trade… even sit out etc… but that’s not much of a threat when he is not expected to play lol. Id be fine if the Packers wanted to trade him …. if they could get something, but at this point … I’m not sure many teams would want to give up much.

His trade value now is higher than it will be the more time that passes with only the exception of a Rodgers injury otherwise he will not see true time with keys in hand and his cheap contract will be shorter with each day.

If Gute would consider trading him now is the time

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His trade value now is higher than it will be the more time that passes with only the exception of a Rodgers injury otherwise he will not see true time with keys in hand and his cheap contract will be shorter with each day.

If Gute would consider trading him now is the time
That is probably true. That doesn’t necessarily make it a good idea though. They still need a backup QB… Love knows the system.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you were Love, I doubt he'd be in the NFL at all. First, I don't care at all what Love feels like right now. He's very young, was not remotely ready and it showed, and got his contract guaranteed. He has an excellent opportunity to learn from the best in a class of the NFL organization and prepare himself. Nobody knows how things are going to go and not given a fair shot to win the starting job? and I'M ignorant? He's NOWHERE remotely close to winning a starting job here LOL.

If he's so good, show it. He's going to again get scrimmage snaps, preseason, Rodgers didn't even play and you know what he showed? He's not all that ready. He has another opportunity this year. Want to get traded or have some leverage or have someone notice you? Perform. That's when most young guys behind HOF players get a chance. If Matt Flynn can propel himself to a big contract on a game after sitting and learning for a while, no reason Love can't show enough in a preseason to get himself some looks. He has coaches to impress, relationships to build.

A poor baby with a bad attitude is just stuck behind a HOF with nobody to prove himself too and whaaaaaaa I won't get a big contract. An NFL QB realizes his opportunity and impresses those around him with hard work, study, and then performance will come. The OC that leaves as a HC for another team wants to take him with him. The QB coach that becomes an OC on another team the next year gets in the ear of the new GM and HC and lets them know about a young QB wasting away on a bench and a thousand other situations where he can make himself known to what he is. Or he can just be furious that he's in such a poor situation LOL

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you were Love, I doubt he'd be in the NFL at all. First, I don't care at all what Love feels like right now. He's very young, was not remotely ready and it showed, and got his contract guaranteed. He has an excellent opportunity to learn from the best in a class of the NFL organization and prepare himself. Nobody knows how things are going to go and not given a fair shot to win the starting job? and I'M ignorant? He's NOWHERE remotely close to winning a starting job here LOL.

If he's so good, show it. He's going to again get scrimmage snaps, preseason, Rodgers didn't even play and you know what he showed? He's not all that ready. He has another opportunity this year. Want to get traded or have some leverage or have someone notice you? Perform. That's when most young guys behind HOF players get a chance. If Matt Flynn can propel himself to a big contract on a game after sitting and learning for a while, no reason Love can'show enough in a preseason to get himself some looks. He has coaches to impress, relationships to build.

A poor baby with a bad attitude is just stuck behind a HOF with nobody to prove himself too and whaaaaaaa I won't get a big contract. An NFL QB realizes his opportunity and impresses those around him with hard work, study, and then performance will come. The OC that leaves as a HC for another team wants to take him with him. The QB coach that becomes an OC on another team the next year gets in the ear of the new GM and HC and lets them know about a young QB wasting away on a bench and a thousand other situations where he can make himself known to what he is. Or he can just be furious that he's in such a poor situation LOL
Again you’re looking at it from the perspective of a Packers fan. Like most
Packers fans you’re incapable of being objective.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again you’re looking at it from the perspective of a Packers fan. Like most
Packers fans you’re incapable of being objective.
Oh.

And you look at ieverything from a gute’s an idiot that can do no right and you call yourself objective?

You think Love has no chance to make money or show what he can do. He has at leas 6 games of preseason he can stand out and will likely get regular season time too, but I hope not much.

Seriously, if Jordan love is that mentally fragile he can’t comprehend the situation he finds himself in and the best he can come up with is to be mad and demand a trade instead of work hard and earn something different he’s already done in this league. And I don’t think that would be an accurate assessment of him but it seems to be the one you hold of him.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh.

And you look at ieverything from a gute’s an idiot that can do no right and you call yourself objective?

You think Love has no chance to make money or show what he can do. He has at leas 6 games of preseason he can stand out and will likely get regular season time too, but I hope not much.

Seriously, if Jordan love is that mentally fragile he can’t comprehend the situation he finds himself in and the best he can come up with is to be mad and demand a trade instead of work hard and earn something different he’s already done in this league. And I don’t think that would be an accurate assessment of him but it seems to be the one you hold of him.

I credit Gutey whenever he does something well. I am probably the harshest grader on this forum but I malso by far the most honest. I also admit when I’m wrong. I though Gary was going to be a colossal bust. Obviously wrong… although I did think the best option was to take Simmons and DK with our 1sts which was obviously right. The moment we took Jenkins I thought that was a great pick. I’m objective as hell. A good move and a bad move are exactly what they are.

As for Love you want him to work hard and earn something but there’s nothing to earn. What is he going to do? Impress some coaches in their scheme that he’s never going play in? He’s literally wasting his time and potential dollars. You can’t earn a contract if you don’t show what you’ve got.

Members online

Latest posts