Taysom Hill

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Did you somehow forget how to read along the way? You're just flat out making up arguments I never said.

I never said Hill not got snaps at QB.

Maybe you need a refresher as to what you said earlier? Or a refresher on how to read......your own words?

So you don't play the heir apparent at QB because you have a good backup QB already. Makes total sense. Don't give the guy that you view as the future any QB snaps over the backup...because the backup is good.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
like I said before, We'll see

Right now all it says to me is Brees and Bridgewater, the only 2 QB's on the roster are unrestricted free agents and will cost a good penny for their back up to stay or for their current aging starter to play another year. and The only guy that could serve QB in a pinch is restricted and they can easily retain his rights, but i'm pretty sure if faced with him being their starter, they're going looking.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wild rumour they want burrow and will gut the team to get him.

Well I read and hear wild rumors everyday, but don't put much thought into them. The Saints have very little draft capital, slotted 24th in each round and only having a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and a 6th. They probably couldn't even move up to the 16th pick by giving all their picks up. So yeah, they would probably have to give up a kings ransom in future #1's and/or players to the Bengals to move all the way up to the #1 spot.

Now maybe a Taysom Hill + Saints first round, could get the Bengals to trade away the first pick for them to get Borrow. :roflmao::roflmao:

danicafreak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I read and hear wild rumors everyday, but don't put much thought into them. The Saints have very little draft capital, slotted 24th in each round and only having a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and a 6th. They probably couldn't even move up to the 16th pick by giving all their picks up. So yeah, they would probably have to give up a kings ransom in future #1's and/or players to the Bengals to move all the way up to the #1 spot.

Now maybe a Taysom Hill + Saints first round, could get the Bengals to trade away the first pick for them to get Borrow. :roflmao::roflmao:

check this thread out:

https://saintsreport.com/threads/wh...-stunning-news-on-burrow-brees-and-ak.424194/

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the article. Taysom Hill as Brees’s replacement? I don’t think so. He’s a gifted athlete that has contributed on an occasional basis. But when Brees was out this year they called on Bridgewater.

That probably means Bridgewater wants to start somewhere. A lot of this is up to Brees. I see him playing at least one more year. If Bridgewater is patient (and if NO can afford him sitting on the bench), he seems the most likely Brees heir.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Careful, someone from a Saints fan forum will link this post and say there is "legit talk around the league that the Saints will be trading to get Burrow" ;)
I think the Saints are drafting in the low 20s. It’s probably impossible to get Burrows at #1 from there. And Cincy wants needs him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Careful, someone from a Saints fan forum will link this post and say there is "legit talk around the league that the Saints will be trading to get Burrow" ;)
I don’t think the Saints can put anything together to get Burrows. Unless Burrows insists on playing somewhere else, ala Eli/Rivers from many years ago, Burrows is going to Cincy.

Every rookie would love to go to a SB contender. But at this point, most SB contenders are probably set at QB. I haven’t heard anything that Burrows doesn’t want to play in Cincy. Maybe I missed something.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I haven’t heard anything that Burrows doesn’t want to play in Cincy. Maybe I missed something.

Me either, but that could potentially be occupational suicide if he did. I think it is springing more from the fact that Burrows grew up idolizing Brees and would love to play for the Saints. I don't think the Saints are going to mortgage their future to try and trade up for the #1 pick to get Burrows. The Saints have benefited by hitting on some draft picks as of late, but those rookie deals don't last long and soon they will be up against the cap and having to say good bye to some of their young starters and will once again need decent drafts to start fill the holes.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me either, but that could potentially be occupational suicide if he did. I think it is springing more from the fact that Burrows grew up idolizing Brees and would love to play for the Saints. I don't think the Saints are going to mortgage their future to try and trade up for the #1 pick to get Burrows. The Saints have benefited by hitting on some draft picks as of late, but those rookie deals don't last long and soon they will be up against the cap and having to say good bye to some of their young starters and will once again need decent drafts to start fill the holes.
I’m sure the Saints would love to have him, who wouldn’t? Perfect scenario - play one year behind Brees and give Brees a proper send off. Just can’t see it happening.

We’ll run into the same thing when it gets within a year or two of Rodgers calling it quits. Can’t pick low due to too many wins. Anyway, wherever Burrows ends up, it won’t be NO.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget that the Saints started Teddy Bridgewater for the 5 games Brees was out instead of Taysom Hill. Maybe what we are seeing is all he will ever be - A nice change-up but not a starter.
Hill is a very athletic, very talented gadget player in the NFL. That’s all. If the Saints respected him so much as a QB he would’ve started over Bridgewater.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not in any position to be making demands. He's a restricted free agent gadget player
Fair enough. But if the Saints retain Hill over Bridgewater going forward how will that affect your rationale?
Easy, Hill is a RFA and has very little negotiating power and Bridgewater is an URFA who will likely see a decent contract from someone.

now if the Saints ink Hill to a 10+ million dollar per year contract with 30-50 mill in guarantees maybe they’re serious about him as a qB.

until then, he’s just the only one they have any control over Until they find their next QB should Brees retire or go elsewhere

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Fair enough. But if the Saints retain Hill over Bridgewater going forward how will that affect your rationale?

If the Saints keep Hill as the only backup to Brees, then I will have to admit that they see him as a more of a real quarterback than I thought-- and certainly more of a real quarterback than I think he is personally. But that remains to be seen.

A lot of this talk around him lately out of the Saints camp seems like an effort to generate interest so that they can get a pick out of him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A lot of this talk around him lately out of the Saints camp seems like an effort to generate interest so that they can get a pick out of him.
Get a pick out of him? That is a guarantee if they wanted to go that route, its just a matter of what round.

I also don't think its necessarily the Saints organization that is really creating all the buzz, its the media and Hill himself. Of course Hill is going to say that he is a franchise QB, it pays a hell of a lot more than a backup QB and Swiss Army knife. The media is feeding on it, because it actually is an interesting story, as well its a slow off season thus far. Here is a guy that has lots of skills, but really hasn't shown enough as a QB, to be paid starter money and handed the keys to any franchise, but what do the Saints do with him?

He reminds me a bit of Kordell Stewart when he played for the Steelers. Good skills at a number of things, but really not a starting QB.

I think the Saints just might put a first round tag on him and if they do, a team picking 23 (Patriots) or later just might grab him. That tag will cost the Saints a bit over $6M if nobody tries to grab Hill, but considering what he does for the team, probably worth it. If they lose him, a late first round pick for a guy you picked up off waivers isn't bad either.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Get a pick out of him? That is a guarantee if they wanted to go that route, its just a matter of what round.

I also don't think its necessarily the Saints organization that is really creating all the buzz, its the media and Hill himself. Of course Hill is going to say that he is a franchise QB, it pays a hell of a lot more than a backup QB and Swiss Army knife. The media is feeding on it, because it actually is an interesting story, as well its a slow off season thus far. Here is a guy that has lots of skills, but really hasn't shown enough as a QB, to be paid starter money and handed the keys to any franchise, but what do the Saints do with him?

He reminds me a bit of Kordell Stewart when he played for the Steelers. Good skills at a number of things, but really not a starting QB.

I think the Saints just might put a first round tag on him and if they do, a team picking 23 (Patriots) or later just might grab him. That tag will cost the Saints a bit over $6M if nobody tries to grab Hill, but considering what he does for the team, probably worth it. If they lose him, a late first round pick for a guy you picked up off waivers isn't bad either.

Certainly the media and Hill's camp are contributing, but Payton himself has fueled it a lot too. He's called him a franchise QB and compared him to Steve Young.

He's an RFA, meaning that they can tender him with a 1st, 2nd, or Original Round tender. Original Round does nothing for them, as he was undrafted. So my suspicion is that they're trying to figure out a way to get one of those higher picks out of him.

I would be floored if anyone paid a 1st round pick for the right to sign him to a lucrative contract. Absolutely flabbergasted. That would be one of the stupider things I've seen in quite a while.

The guy had a measly 445 yards combined rushing, receiving, and passing in 2019 (7 touchdowns), playing in the perfect situation with one of the most creative minds in football. I can't imagine someone giving up a 1st round pick for a 30 year old player like that who is about to become expensive.

Members online

Latest posts