Taysom Hill

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing that is interesting is it's one guy that runs, catches and blocks. A bit of a throw back, it's is fun to watch, but let's get serious for a moment. Is he their RB? No? why not? Is he their 2nd RB? is he any of their 3 TE's? how about WR,, 5 snaps a game? He's not even their back up QB. He's a nice wrinkle, but the INT Drew Brees threw was 10x's better than the ball Hill threw for a completion yet everyone was going crazy about Hill's pass. I see passes from non QB's every week in this league that were at least as good as that throw. Difference is, most of those guys are good enough to be #1 or 2 WR's and RB's for their teams. Hill is not. But he can probably block better than some of them. Cool player, but that's about where it ends for me.

yes he'd be a nice player to have on the team, he's fun, it's always exciting when he's on the field, but even the Saints don't use him that much. He does a lot of different things, but you tell me what was so special about his TD, convince me Taysom Hill is the one that made that play work. Was it his wiggle off the line? a Break he made to fool the defender? He came in and layed a convincing block then went out into a route? Seriously, he ran straight down field into the endzone and turned around uncovered to catch a ball. Was that Hill or just a completely blown coverage by MN? I feel like Eddie Murphy riding in a car with Stevie Wonder, what to impress me ***** fu#$a, take the wheel LOL

oh, and there are probably 1000 other posts about this longtime :)

Question for both you and LongTimefan: Are you both saying he can't contribute in Green Bay? If so I really don't belong here anymore.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Question for both you and LongTimefan: Are you both saying he can't contribute in Green Bay? If so I really don't belong here anymore.

Could the pack have used him? Probably...but they needed more help than just him

He didn't push the Saints into the next round

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I would personally ask that Mondio or LongTimeFan please say yes to this question given the qualification.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good news....Sean Payton knows squat about Taysom Hill. He would be crazy to consider him a QB, yet alone a starter. :roflmao:

And yet, when given the chance to start him when Brees was out, he didn't.

If he was the "heir apparent", then why not get him the snaps?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe because they also had a very capable backup on the roster that had successful starting NFL experience and he kept winning.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question
for both you and LongTimefan: Are you both saying he can't contribute in Green Bay? If so I really don't belong here anymore.
I’d like you to read through the thread again and find the answers that were already given to your question.

anyway, I wonder how big his arms will be next year

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Maybe because they also had a very capable backup on the roster that had successful starting NFL experience and he kept winning.

Thank you for following up and saying what I thought was pretty obvious, I would add that the Saints didn't pay Teddy Bridgewater $7.25 M last March to be the 3rd QB.

Maybe Sean Payton is blowing smoke and Taysom isn't the Saints future starter, whatever. For those that can't admit the guy is pretty talented at everything he does, I just have to shake my head.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you for following up and saying what I thought was pretty obvious, I would add that the Saints didn't pay Teddy Bridgewater $7.25 M last March to be the 3rd QB.

Maybe Sean Payton is blowing smoke and Taysom isn't the Saints future starter, whatever. For those that can't admit the guy is pretty talented at everything he does, I just have to shake my head.
Haven't seen a single post from anyone saying he isn't talented. Heck of an athlete that people seem to think is much better at what he does than he is because he gets to run an offense repeatedly in 3rd and short or goal line situations where they can take advantage of his run pass threat on a few niche plays.

and the reason they only do that on occassion is the same reason, GB never went to a hurry up this year except in 2 minute situations because it's very limited and if you ************** early, you got nothing left for when you need it. Any offense run by Taysom hill would be vastly different than the one the Saints have been running and they'd likely not find themselves in 3rd and short or goal line situations enough for Hill to look good anymore anyway. If you gave me 4 games until defenses had the handful of plays he can run and their variations figured out, I'd take the under.

He has 1 read to make, throw or run, or just run in situations where the defense is already stressed because of down and distance. Make him bring an offense to the point repeatedly in a game? I have a feeling you'd be looking at one of the worst offenses in the league. I hope they make him the QB of the future, pay him a good contract too. One less team we'll have to worry about come playoff time.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh. Sure.

So you don't play the heir apparent at QB because you have a good backup QB already. Makes total sense. Don't give the guy that you view as the future any QB snaps over the backup...because the backup is good.

I dunno man, this one doesn't quite pass the smell test to me.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sean Payton isn't going to play a guy over his "heir apparent" at QB because of money.

They wanted to win games, so they played the better QB for the system they were running. It's pretty obvious.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh. Sure.

So you don't play the heir apparent at QB because you have a good backup QB already. Makes total sense. Don't give the guy that you view as the future any QB snaps over the backup...because the backup is good.

Sean Payton isn't going to play a guy over his "heir apparent" at QB because of money.

They wanted to win games, so they played the better QB for the system they were running. It's pretty obvious.

Did you follow any of the Saints games or just talking out your backside? Taysom did get snaps at QB all season long. Just because Bridgewater was the QB they went with when Brees got injured, doesn't mean Hill can't be their QB of the future. A WR who is on a depth chart as the #4 one season, can eventually be your #1 right? Same with QB. You would have to ask Sean Payton as to why they paid Teddy all that money last March, but I would say they made the right move. Bridgewater played well enough to win while Brees was out and Taysom Hill continues to thrive at what he does, while continuing to learn how to be an NFL QB.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus when someone pays Teddy good money, the Saints could end up with a nice comp pick, depending on what else they do.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Plus when someone pays Teddy good money, the Saints could end up with a nice comp pick, depending on what else they do.
A very nice comp pick possibly.

Rumors are that Brees will be back. Teddy will get paid by another team and it won't be as cheap as what he signed with the Saints for. Taysom will probably be their #2, with the idea that he will be the future starter or they draft a rookie to potentially be Brees eventual replacement.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh. Sure.

If smell tests are what we are using I think your sniffer has a logic problem. You just made your self the king of hindsight reasoning. I’m only going to bother with this once. When the Saints signed Bridgewater, he was their very capable backup. he more than proved his worth by winning when given the chance. I highly doubt that Hill was viewed as the heir apparent at the beginning of the year nor am I convinced that he actually is now despite what they are now saying. That being said, Hill was very successful doing what they asked him to do this year, and they may be willing to roll the dice and see what he can do if they aren’t able to re sign Brees. Or... they may just be blowing smoke to make their bargaining position seem stronger with Brees Bridgewater or whoever else they may be considering.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We agree on your last sentence.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I find it really hard to believe that the Saints view Hill as their future franchise QB and yet kept him on the bench because of 7.25M...

Me finding it hard to believe doesn't prove a thing, but that's just my feeling on it.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it really hard to believe that the Saints view Hill as their future franchise QB and yet kept him on the bench because of 7.25M...

Me finding it hard to believe doesn't prove a thing, but that's just my feeling on it.
I’m not convinced that they believe he is a franchise QB... but they may be willing to give it a try .... I highly doubt that they started this year thinking he was though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't that they paid Teddy and didn't pay Taysom so they decided Teddy would be the one out on the field as QB2. They had Taysom, for a full season I think and they realized he WASN'T a guy to run an offense thru and they traded for Teddy the following year when it was apparent they needed a back up QB and THEN they started playing around with Hill doing other things to utilize his athleticism because I think they figured he wasn't going to be their QB.

Right now, they don't have any QB's really. If Brees isn't back they're going to go looking

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't that they paid Teddy and didn't pay Taysom so they decided Teddy would be the one out on the field as QB2. They had Taysom, for a full season I think and they realized he WASN'T a guy to run an offense thru and they traded for Teddy the following year when it was apparent they needed a back up QB and THEN they started playing around with Hill doing other things to utilize his athleticism because I think they figured he wasn't going to be their QB.

Right now, they don't have any QB's really. If Brees isn't back they're going to go looking
Maybe the Patriots and Saints will just switch starting QBs lol.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d like you to read through the thread again and find the answers that were already given to your question.

anyway, I wonder how big his arms will be next year

OK you're saying he can't and couldn't contribute to Green Bay back in 2017 when he could've easily outplayed Brett Hundley. Wow, maybe I don't belong here after all.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you follow any of the Saints games or just talking out your backside? Taysom did get snaps at QB all season long. Just because Bridgewater was the QB they went with when Brees got injured, doesn't mean Hill can't be their QB of the future. A WR who is on a depth chart as the #4 one season, can eventually be your #1 right? Same with QB. You would have to ask Sean Payton as to why they paid Teddy all that money last March, but I would say they made the right move. Bridgewater played well enough to win while Brees was out and Taysom Hill continues to thrive at what he does, while continuing to learn how to be an NFL QB.

Did you somehow forget how to read along the way? You're just flat out making up arguments I never said.

I never said Hill not got snaps at QB.

WR depth chart comparisons to QB is apples and oranges. Vastly different. And let's not forget Hill is what, 29 or 30? He's not young.

I have said multiple times that Hill is a nice utility player. I like him! But starting NFL QB? I just don't see it, unless you re-tool the whole offense. And who's going to re-tool an entire offense for an almost 30 year old QB that has NEVER started meaningful games at QB?

I'll tell you this. If, for example, we had Rodgers on an expiring contract, a backup, and then a QB that after the season is supposedly called the heir apparent...and he didn't even get to start over the backup, I think fans would be pretty annoyed. And rightfully so. If you have the chance to get him time to see what he is, you gotta do it!

Staff online

Latest posts