Taysom Hill

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not sure why you don't think he is a backup QB. Why because the Saints actually had a legit starting QB in Teddy Bridgewater as their backup? Most teams don't have that luxury, nor do they spend $7.2 M on a backup.

I'm comparing him to someone like Brett Hundley, DeShon Kizer, Tim Boyle. If you want to just use Teddy Bridgewater, who I would love to have as my backup QB, as your rationale that Tysom isn't a backup QB, so be it. For my money, I would take him as my backup QB over any backup the Packers have had since Matt Flynn and even after what Flynn showed when he left Green Bay, might take him over him as well.

Because I don't think you could run a legit NFL offense with him. You're going to have to dramatically alter the system you run to suit his capabilities and incapabilities. Most coaches want backups who can come in and run the offense.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Because I don't think you could run a legit NFL offense with him. You're going to have to dramatically alter the system you run to suit his capabilities and incapabilities.
You don't think or you know for a fact?

Most coaches want backups who can come in and run the offense.

Right and they end up getting guys like Hundley or Kizer. Of course a coach wants his backup QB to be able to run the offense, but unless its a backup with a lot of starting experience, that probably isn't going to happen, at least not immediately. Most backups that are thrust into the starting role take several weeks to get up to speed running the #1 offense as well as the full playbook. Not sure why you think Hill couldn't do that, he did it at BYU.

I think we are best to agree to disagree on this one.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You don't think or you know for a fact?

Right and they end up getting guys like Hundley or Kizer. Of course a coach wants his backup QB to be able to run the offense, but unless its a backup with a lot of starting experience, that probably isn't going to happen, at least not immediately. Most backups that are thrust into the starting role take several weeks to get up to speed running the #1 offense as well as the full playbook. Not sure why you think Hill couldn't do that, he did it at BYU.

I think we are best to agree to disagree on this one.

Of course I think... based on everything I know about the player. As has been pointed out, we haven't actually seen him attempt to be the every down QB. I think there's a reason.

The offense that Hill ran at BYU was not remotely like what the Saints and the majority of NFL teams are running. If you want to run that offense, by all means sign Hill up. But there is a reason that he was an undrafted free agent despite his athleticism and has been no higher than 3rd on a QB depth chart. In two years with the Saints, he has 64 rushes, 29 targets, and... 13 pass attempts. He's an offensive weapon, but not a true quarterback.

Or if you want to just say screw it and have your backup be an athlete who can play out of structure and try to win you games if called upon, then that's fine. I don't even think that's the craziest idea in the world. But I don't think many (any?) teams are going to do that.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do know what Taysom Hill is. He's a 30 year old gadget player.

Actually, he's a 29-year-old QB who lost out on opportunities to a guy who had a bigger contract than him because the team was desperate to show they're in win-now mode and spent an arm and a leg on a backup QB. He's got a better arm than Teddy and probably a better long ball arm than Brees right now (not saying much). I think management will see that he's a possible Qb2 on that team and I doubt they sign another high profile backup.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Actually, he's a 29-year-old QB who lost out on opportunities to a guy who had a bigger contract than him because the team was desperate to show they're in win-now mode and spent an arm and a leg on a backup QB. He's got a better arm than Teddy and probably a better long ball arm than Brees right now (not saying much). I think management will see that he's a possible Qb2 on that team and I doubt they sign another high profile backup.

He's entering his age 30 season.

You're telling me a story to explain why Bridgewater never got fewer than 93% of the snaps at QB in the absence of Brees. It's a pretty implausible one. Essentially you're suggesting that the Saints knowingly started a lesser player at the most important position on the field simply to save face. That holds no water, bridge or otherwise.

For having such an amazing arm, Hill sure had to put everything into that pass you linked to earlier. He put his whole body into that thing and Harris still had to slow down for it. You also have to wonder why the Saints so rarely ask him to use this supposedly great arm.

The leaps of faith that people are willing to make to create this mythos around Hill are baffling.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's entering his age 30 season.

You're telling me a story to explain why Bridgewater never got fewer than 93% of the snaps at QB in the absence of Brees. It's a pretty implausible one. Essentially you're suggesting that the Saints knowingly started a lesser player at the most important position on the field simply to save face. That holds no water, bridge or otherwise.

For having such an amazing arm, Hill sure had to put everything into that pass you linked to earlier. He put his whole body into that thing and Harris still had to slow down for it. You also have to wonder why the Saints so rarely ask him to use this supposedly great arm.

The leaps of faith that people are willing to make to create this mythos around Hill are baffling.

I think you should watch this film and pay attention to how he looks in a Packers uniform. It's not a leap of faith to at least consider this guy could play QB regularly in the NFL if needed. He's probably not Favre or Rodgers, but if Blough can play for the Lions, then Hill can probably start a few games and do well doing so. That's really all I'm saying.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

And yes, I think the Saints started the SAFER player (Bridgewater) because starting Hill would show no faith in their GM and create a rift between the HC and the GM. You see this ALL THE TIME in the NFL. Ability and talent should jump off the tape and make choices easy for coaches, unfortunately, the dollar determines a lot more.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed a couple things. almost all of his passing attempts are in the preseason. Most of his regular season plays are short yardage running plays with play action. Downs made for him.

The other big thing I noticed, the more his arms grew in size, the weaker his arm looked going down field. Best ball he threw was in GB with arms half the size they are now. Go figure.

he's not going to be a down to down QB for a team that is going anywhere, that much is obvious. Even from the highlights.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
he's not going to be a down to down QB for a team that is going anywhere, that much is obvious. Even from the highlights.

How many #2 QB's, yet alone #3 have the Packers had in Green Bay that you would call better than Taysom since...2008?

I for one am not saying he is going to be a great #1 Hall of Fame QB, but I think some of you guys are really not seeing the value he brings to a team as a quasi backup (#2 or #3) that actually plays and contributes every game. That value isn't as a great QB, but as a guy that can be your emergency QB for a spell AND contributes in ways that some of your starters at other positions cant. The Saints just happened to have spent a boat load on Teddy and he was their better option when Brees went down. The Packers and many other teams don't have that option.

Had Rodgers gone down in the playoff game against the Seahawks, I would have felt a lot more comfortable seeing Taysom Hill trot in, then I would have to see Tim Boyle. Meanwhile, had Hill never played a down as QB, he would have added a lot on special teams and mixing things up on the offense.

Finally, I bet if you ask Saints management, that was probably the best $645,000 they spent on a player in a long time.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many #2 QB's, yet alone #3 have the Packers had in Green Bay that you would call better than Taysom since...2008?

I for one am not saying he is going to be a great #1 Hall of Fame QB, but I think some of you guys are really not seeing the value he brings to a team as a quasi backup (#2 or #3) that actually plays and contributes every game. That value isn't as a great QB, but as a guy that can be your emergency QB for a spell AND contributes in ways that some of your starters at other positions cant. The Saints just happened to have spent a boat load on Teddy and he was their better option when Brees went down. The Packers and many other teams don't have that option.

Had Rodgers gone down in the playoff game against the Seahawks, I would have felt a lot more comfortable seeing Taysom Hill trot in, then I would have to see Tim Boyle. Meanwhile, had Hill never played a down as QB, he would have added a lot on special teams and mixing things up on the offense.

Finally, I bet if you ask Saints management, that was probably the best $645,000 they spent on a player in a long time.
Agreed. Frankly I don’t really understand the negativity where he is concerned. I don’t think anyone is expecting him to become a pro bowl QB, but no one has seen enough of him to know much of anything. Just because the Saints had Bridgewater available is not proof that Hill cannot succeed especially in the limited roll of a backup. Let’s not forget that Bridgewater did pretty darned well in Brees’ absence. That is not a reason to assume Hill could not be an asset as a backup.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He basically has 2 plays and throws a worse ball now than he did with GB. I don't think it would take any time for defenses to have whatever team he was QB'ing in so many bad down and distance positions his high light plays wouldn't even matter. Great niche player. But not every down can be 3rd and short, from mid field or goal line plays. Someone was trying to say he's their QB going forward. I don't think he can play QB well enough to be any more than a gadget player.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He basically has 2 plays and throws a worse ball now than he did with GB.

Yet, neither you or Dantes' can come out and admit he would be a nice player to have and/or name me a better option that the Packers have had at #2 QB since Favre left.

I haven't seen anyone say that he is a GREAT QB, rather most of us are saying he is a versatile guy that can fill in quite well at multiple positions. I don't think any of us can say he can or can't be a full time QB, until such time as he succeeds or fails.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

It's not that I don't see the value in what he brings, I just don't think that being a true backup QB is what he brings. I think he's a package, gadget player who can take your QB3 roster spot and produce on Sundays. I don't think he's a player who can take over your offense unless you dramatically change what you do.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yet, neither you or Dantes' can come out and admit he would be a nice player to have and/or name me a better option that the Packers have had at #2 QB since Favre left.

I haven't seen anyone say that he is a GREAT QB, rather most of us are saying he is a versatile guy that can fill in quite well at multiple positions. I don't think any of us can say he can or can't be a full time QB, until such time as he succeeds or fails.

I said that? I've said again and again that the Saints have used him well. I just don't think he can fill the role on the roster that you do.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I said that? I've said again and again that the Saints have used him well. I just don't think he can fill the role on the roster that you do.

Said what? I didn't quote you on anything, its more what you haven't said. Like telling me what options have the Packers had at QB #2 or #3 that were better than Hill, since Favre left? What did those guys contribute to the team during their time in Green Bay?

I think you are getting too hung up on the semantics of labeling him a QB and the fact that he was the Saints "#3 QB" behind Teddy Bridgewater. If that is the case, let's call him a #4 TE, who can play on special teams and fill in at QB in a pinch, as well as participate in quite a few gadget plays. Send Robert Tonyan over for him, I will be behind the deal!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've said he's a great athlete and niche player many times over. he is, they use him well for instances he's useful. I do not see anything that leads me to be he'll be a successful QB in a play by play run a game plan sort of way.

H

HardRightEdge

I guess we'll see...
"We'll see" is right.

If Hill is going to be their franchise QB they won't put a restricted free agent tender on him, 1st. round or otherwise, as the article suggests. They'd just lock him up with a multiyear contract and skip the whole tender business. I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't know why people take what these guys say at face value. It's more likely Peyton is smoozing, angling, pressuring, blowing smoke or whatnot with respect to one or more of the parties involved and/or competing GMs. Assuming Glazer isn't just making something up, Peyton planted the story with him for a reason.

As I say every year, it's the Lake Woebegon period, starting now and running into preseason, where all the children are judged to be above average.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If that happens, I will eat my crow.

The only way that it would make sense to me is if Payton copied Baltimore and reshaped his offense around Hill and what he can do.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Said what? I didn't quote you on anything, its more what you haven't said. Like telling me what options have the Packers had at QB #2 or #3 that were better than Hill, since Favre left? What did those guys contribute to the team during their time in Green Bay?

I think you are getting too hung up on the semantics of labeling him a QB and the fact that he was the Saints "#3 QB" behind Teddy Bridgewater. If that is the case, let's call him a #4 TE, who can play on special teams and fill in at QB in a pinch, as well as participate in quite a few gadget plays. Send Robert Tonyan over for him, I will be behind the deal!

Yes, that's exactly what's going on. I'm being asked to compare him to backup QB's when I don't really view him as a backup QB, but more as an offensive weapon. I wouldn't want him as a backup QB, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want him on a roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts