Studs n duds Vikings

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were a few there in the middle later game, but for the most part I thought GB did a great job of preventing any big plays and when they did catch some, they were tackled pretty much immediately. That's how they played much of last year and what has been missing much of this year. Teams are going to complete some passes, our problems have been the completely wide open and 15 yarder into 60 yard pass play from poor/no coverage, poor angles/tackling. Yesterday, they were actually covering people. They can, we knew they could. We've seen it, but they just weren't consistently much of this year.
Yeah, I want to see them consistently cover ppl. They were mostly great yesterday, though he's right, until the strip-sack it looked like what we saw earlier in the year. The defense allowing chunk plays. But credit where credit's due, they stepped up yesterday. Go! Pack! Go!

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Obviously Nixon, It has been sooooo long since we have had a kick-off returned for a TD. The whole defense with stand-outs being DL and Alexander. At least Alexander put his money where his mouth was. The offense hung in there and started making the plays.
Someone finally lit a fire under the defense and in the last couple of weeks they have come to play.
It was Jerry Gray. The players said he screamed at them during halftime of the Dolphins game.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was Jerry Gray. The players said he screamed at them during halftime of the Dolphins game.
The giving up the chunk plays still bothers me. Packers always takes their foot off the gas when they’re comfortably ahead. That’s going to burn them one of these days and we’ll be right back where we started. Talking about next year. Yes the win was great yesterday and assuming they beat the Lions this week, I still don’t see this team being a contending playoff team.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the win was great yesterday and assuming they beat the Lions this week, I still don’t see this team being a contending playoff team.
How many playoff wins before you consider them a legit contender? Win the 1st game? NFCCG participant? Get on record now. I would be disappointed with a 1st round loss. Everything after round 2 is gravy the way the season has played out.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many playoff wins before you consider them a legit contender? Win the 1st game? NFCCG participant? Get on record now. I would be disappointed with a 1st round loss. Everything after round 2 is gravy the way the season has played out.
If they get past the wild card then I’d start to come around, they get to the NFCCG then yeah, they’re contenders. Barry’s schemes, stubbornness to adjust at the half and some offensive play calling at times still scare the **** out of me. Especially against teams like the Eagles, and God help my heart if we get that far, teams like the Bills and Chiefs. Like I said yesterday, I along with everyone else is thrilled of how we beat them. It just doesn’t erase what we’ve seen more so than not all year long. I’m skeptic as we should be.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Given that the Packers previously had 3 straight seasons of 13 regular season game wins and didn't get past the Divisional round (once) or NFCCG (twice), the success bar is set pretty high for many. Personally, I would be disappointed if they didn't make the Super Bowl. While getting into the playoffs would be a pretty cool thing, considering where they were just 5 weeks ago, that magic wouldn't offset what they lost. That is, playing Love for a number of games and better draft position. I would look back at the season as a failed one for sure if that happened.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they get past the wild card then I’d start to come around, they get to the NFCCG then yeah, they’re contenders. Barry’s schemes, stubbornness to adjust at the half and some offensive play calling at times still scare the **** out of me. Especially against teams like the Eagles, and God help my heart if we get that far, teams like the Bills and Chiefs. Like I said yesterday, I along with everyone else is thrilled of how we beat them. It just doesn’t erase what we’ve seen more so than not all year long. I’m skeptic as we should be.
That's a reasonable position Jayzee. I mean why did it take Barry, and MLF, to realize they were getting killed with soft zone? It wasn't that long ago (and I forget the opponent, but they did this often) on 3rd and long (10-15 yards). The corners would face off with the WRs at the LOS, and then slow walk back to the first down marker. The opponent would easily complete a pass underneath and either get the first down, or set up a very makable fourth and one.

We didn't see that yesterday, they played man most of the day, but it's hard for me to believe Barry is gonna change philosophy without a major push from MLF. Someone needs to protect Barry from himself. I'm ecstatic at where the Packers are after the 4-8 start, but that misses the point. They shouldn't need to beat Detroit on the last game of the season to get the 7th seed.

Now are they a contender? Right now they are a legit playoff contender. Can they go in and beat the Niners in Santa Clara? Or the Cowboys or the Vikings or even the Eagles on the road? I'll withhold an opinion on that until they beat the Lions next Sunday. If they play as well as they've played this December, especially the last two games, and beat the Lions - they yeah I think they could give any of these potential 2nd seeds fits. One game at a time.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given that the Packers previously had 3 straight seasons of 13 regular season game wins and didn't get past the Divisional round (once) or NFCCG (twice), the success bar is set pretty high for many. Personally, I would be disappointed if they didn't make the Super Bowl. While getting into the playoffs would be a pretty cool thing, considering where they were just 5 weeks ago, that magic wouldn't offset what they lost. That is, playing Love for a number of games and better draft position. I would look back at the season as a failed one for sure if that happened.
Hard to disagree. But by not giving up and playing Love, the Packers are on the brink of getting the seventh seed. The seventh seed. Don't wanna be a buzzkill but if they had been playing like they are now from the beginning (the personnel haven't changed), we wouldn't be in this position.

I would have liked to see Love play in meaningful games after the 4-8 start. That said, I'd rather see them in the playoffs, even if they lose the first game. Just like teams don't tank to get a better draft pick, teams don't tank to get a look at promising players. So I'm ok with where the Packers are.

I will NOT be ok if Joe Barry returns next year. And I sure as hell won't be ok if they don't win next Sunday. FWIW.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to disagree. But by not giving up and playing Love, the Packers are on the brink of getting the seventh seed. The seventh seed. Don't wanna be a buzzkill but if they had been playing like they are now from the beginning (the personnel haven't changed), we wouldn't be in this position.

I would have liked to see Love play in meaningful games after the 4-8 start. That said, I'd rather see them in the playoffs, even if they lose the first game. Just like teams don't tank to get a better draft pick, teams don't tank to get a look at promising players. So I'm ok with where the Packers are.

I will NOT be ok if Joe Barry returns next year. And I sure as hell won't be ok if they don't win next Sunday. FWIW.
Well said

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
amazing how many "fans" of football don't really enjoy it. Overcomming so far has been fun to watch. What do you watch for? The end? why watch? just find out later and save yourself the time. For the rest that do enjoy football, what's not to like? they didn't play for a draft pick? LOL where's the fun in that? I'll be disappointed whenever they lose next, always am, but I sure do enjoy watching them keep clawing and digging and persevering in the face of what was surely a doomed season just over a month ago according to everyone.

I'll never understand that mindset.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
amazing how many "fans" of football don't really enjoy it. Overcomming so far has been fun to watch. What do you watch for? The end? why watch? just find out later and save yourself the time. For the rest that do enjoy football, what's not to like? they didn't play for a draft pick? LOL where's the fun in that? I'll be disappointed whenever they lose next, always am, but I sure do enjoy watching them keep clawing and digging and persevering in the face of what was surely a doomed season just over a month ago according to everyone.

I'll never understand that mindset.
Correct. These guys are pros and they are paid to win. I really believe that once they start a game, they forget which game it is, where they are in the standings, all that ******** that we fans track. They don't care. They know who they're playing and they play to win. And it's fun to watch that.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Slaton played a great game on the line - tipping multiple passes, locking down the run game. The whole D gets a stud, but he stepped up hard in particular in an pretty unsung rotational role.
Vikings kind of were taken out if their running game early. Cousins was the running highlight.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. But I agree Barry is making it hard to get rid of him right now. Supposedly MLF insisted that they change up the scheme, so I'm not sure how much he had to do with the current success the defense is having.
I was thinking/hoping MLF got involved. That crappy scheme where the DBs are lining up ten yards off the receivers was a disaster. I like the more aggressive scheme. Also allowing Jaire to cover Jefferson most of the time makes sense too. WTH were they thinking in that first game.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is anyone else wondering if Jerry Gray has taken on some of the DC role behind the scenes?
I was thinking the same thing. Somebody got through to Joe Barry and his shit show defensive scheme.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I care about is Super Bowls. If defensive stats are more important to you, to each his own I guess. In case you've been sleeping the whole time, the defense in general has been much improved over the past few games.
Although I agree that there is only one winner each year, and 31 losers, if you look at being a loser every year that you don't get a Lombardi trophy, you've got to be pretty darned bitter, unless you're my age, and have seen all the Championships since 1961.

I figure it's like a roller coaster ride. Sometimes you're going up, sometimes down, and you don't spend a lot of time at the top.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking/hoping MLF got involved. That crappy scheme where the DBs are lining up ten yards off the receivers was a disaster. I like the more aggressive scheme.
I know we're accustomed to offensive minded coaches, but the head coach is the head coach. If there's a problem on the defensive side of the field, I expect him to get involved. So yeah, I like to see it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Your 2nd paragraph kind of contradicts your first. ;) Can't really have both.

Again, I agree that it has been fun to watch them win 4 in a row and have this final game be a win and you are in situation. However, if it accomplishes nothing other than getting them to the Lions game and losing or into the playoffs and losing, it might be later overshadowed by the negatives; No experience for Love, to evaluate him for 5th year option. Worst draft position in each round. Joe Barry retaining his job as DC.

It is what it is, at this point....Go Pack Go and lets roll this to the Super Bowl!

D

Deleted member 6794

The giving up the chunk plays still bothers me. Packers always takes their foot off the gas when they’re comfortably ahead. That’s going to burn them one of these days and we’ll be right back where we started.

I'm not worried about the backups giving up two touchdowns in garbage time after the Packers went ahead 41-3 at all.

You were pretty vocal criticizing fans that only considered winning the Super Bowl as a success in the past. Why have you changed your mind about it for this season?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts