Studs and Duds: Packers vs Vikings

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Clay Matthews - first half he was rushing outside, 2nd half made an adjustment and he was starting his rush inside and then going outside. He's really valuable to this defense.
Greg Jennings - he stepped up when he needed to shine.
Nick Collins - made a game saving play, and did so sprawling out for the INT.
Tramon Williams - did a nice job on Moss. Limited him and I think Moss may have lost a step.
Chad Clifton - the first thing I noticed was how his footwork was really doing a job on Jared Allen. great job keeping him at bay.
Josh Sitton - had a couple of real nice blocks on the big men. nice to see a little bit of grit on his part.

Duds: BJ Raji - very limited but believe he was getting doubled a few times. on inside contain needs to slide out, hes got that big body should be able to move better for a young player.
Charlie Peprah - man we need help here. nowhere to start. He just seems to forget where he is alot.
Mason Crosby - can't kick a squib past the 42 yard line? Cant get it to the end zone yet can kick from 56? Understood the squibs but he needs to clean those up too.
Mike McCarthy - once again goes into conservative shell when ahead offensively. Playing not to lose over and over again. They need to start running the ball more and suprise teams with the draw. Also short yardage run offense needs to be changed...Quinn Johnson in front of the halfback is an idea but not sure on Johnsons status.
Jordy Nelson - Runs out of bounds with 4 yards in front of him to get a first down? this guys not a rookie and seems scared to take a hit and fumble.

Overall I think theyve got their work cut out for em, but if they could get healthier theyve got a shot at this division. Big test coming in the Jets - as they look poised to take the AFC. Personally I think the AFC is overrated, but who knows. The way this season is going its anyones guess.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Well, if Jordy is scared about fumbling, I'd rather he run OB with 4 yards to spare than actually fumble. If he thinks he's gonna fumble, he's gonna fumble.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'd throw Rodgers in the duds section. I'm not sure if the many, many bad back shoulder throw miscommunications were on him or the receivers, but he still threw 2 red zone picks.

He still hasn't played an Aaron Rodgers game yet this year. Buffalo might be the exception, though I don't remember a lot about that game.

Honestly, if Brett doesn't play a god awful game we probably don't win.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
quarless was a dud. flynn threw hima great pass and as an nfl player should be putting two feet down in the endzone

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id put peprah in the stud column, afaik his number wasnt called except for his two big plays at the start and end of the game

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really thought you would've put Bjax as a stud. he did an amazing job today.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Re: Moss losing a step

I'm not sure he lost a step, I think we might've just frustrated him into one of those patented Randy "half-efforts" that he likes to do from time to time.

I think he might not have been giving his all from when he got that OPI call at the end of the first half (and when he was visibly angry that Chilly let the clock run out) on.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh with Jordy. Lost balance. MM was good today. Like a decent coach, actually. The conservative thing? I don't know. We were running the ball well. Play smart.

How isn't Bishop on the Studs section? GREAT game by him.

Regarding Rodgers, he's not there yet. But the main thing is the happy feet. There was no happy feet today. He was poised. With poise, he's gonna make plays, he's gonna play well. With happy feet, he's ruined and we need to find another QB...

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Clay Matthews - first half he was rushing outside, 2nd half made an adjustment and he was starting his rush inside and then going outside. He's really valuable to this defense.
Greg Jennings - he stepped up when he needed to shine.
Nick Collins - made a game saving play, and did so sprawling out for the INT.
Tramon Williams - did a nice job on Moss. Limited him and I think Moss may have lost a step.
Chad Clifton - the first thing I noticed was how his footwork was really doing a job on Jared Allen. great job keeping him at bay.
Josh Sitton - had a couple of real nice blocks on the big men. nice to see a little bit of grit on his part.

Duds: BJ Raji - very limited but believe he was getting doubled a few times. on inside contain needs to slide out, hes got that big body should be able to move better for a young player.
Charlie Peprah - man we need help here. nowhere to start. He just seems to forget where he is alot.
Mason Crosby - can't kick a squib past the 42 yard line? Cant get it to the end zone yet can kick from 56? Understood the squibs but he needs to clean those up too.
Mike McCarthy - once again goes into conservative shell when ahead offensively. Playing not to lose over and over again. They need to start running the ball more and suprise teams with the draw. Also short yardage run offense needs to be changed...Quinn Johnson in front of the halfback is an idea but not sure on Johnsons status.
Jordy Nelson - Runs out of bounds with 4 yards in front of him to get a first down? this guys not a rookie and seems scared to take a hit and fumble.

Overall I think theyve got their work cut out for em, but if they could get healthier theyve got a shot at this division. Big test coming in the Jets - as they look poised to take the AFC. Personally I think the AFC is overrated, but who knows. The way this season is going its anyones guess.

Where is the love for #89?!?! James Jones was HUGE tonite!!! The man was consistently catching big plays for big yards tonite, and showed his motore on the long catch

OP
OP
lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just throw some of my obs out there. yeah Jones is a comer, but if I recall Rodgers likes to throw to him. He is definitely improving and stepped up in Drivers stead. yeah hes in the stud category for this game. Zombo is an invisible man which makes me think he did a decent job too but who knows. and yes desmond bishop shoulve replaced barnett by now but hey heres his chance to show what he has got. hawk had a pick too but both ints were favre bonehead throws. I dont miss that about Brett.

y5nthon5a

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Desmond Bishop(He made SO many big plays), Charlie Peprah, Josh Sitton, Brandon Jackson, Jennings. Heh, 3/5are backups. And Mike McCarthy.

Duds: Charles Woodson(He really needs to clean up his act).

Middle of the pack: Hawk, Rodgers, Raji, Williams, Quarless(great catch, then falls on fake)

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
how about CJ WILSON & BRAD JONES...2 former 7th ROUND PICKS...forcing 2 interceptions, great job by theM!

Glad you brought that up, I was about too. How bought C.J. Wilson, a 7th rounder rookie DE, who got 5 tackles, 3 assists. Had two great tackles for next to no gain on AP!!! 7th ROUNDER ROOKIE, getting his named called out! I like this kid. I didn't know about the forced int, didn't see him get pressure. If so, add that. C.J. had a pretty damn good game although wish we would have gotten more pressure on Farve.

What about Hawk running the D!? Seemed to do a pretty damn good job out there the last couple games. Led the team in tackles and assists 6-5, and a pick!!! Hawk seems to be off the radar of most fans but he's a solid LB and probably leads the team in tackles, or close to it.

Bishop. What can you say. He wanted playing time, he's got it and playing like Big Boy football!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
hawk had a pick too but both ints were favre bonehead throws. I dont miss that about Brett.

Regardless, he had the awareness, reflexes and hands to make the pick. That is something! He also led the team in tackles and assists. He's playing good ball this year imo.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Id put peprah in the stud column, afaik his number wasnt called except for his two big plays at the start and end of the game

I disagree. Peprah completely blew it on that non-td Favre to Harvin at the very end where Percy came down out of bounds. Nearly cost us the game for being a spectator. Check out the highlight.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all I know is that we DEF need to check out a 1st rd db.

Harris = done ( by all stretches at this point)
Woodson= MAJOR loss of step this season. There is a REASON why Williams was on Moss all night. Woodson is not a liability by any means, but he is showing his age this year.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
all I know is that we DEF need to check out a 1st rd db.

Harris = done ( by all stretches at this point)
Woodson= MAJOR loss of step this season. There is a REASON why Williams was on Moss all night. Woodson is not a liability by any means, but he is showing his age this year.

I dunno. As much as we need DB help, 1st round DB's are not gimmes. I'd rather have another stud linebacker opposite Clay. As we've all seen, we have absolutely NO pass rush without Matthews. Then try for a CB in the middle rounds/

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no picks are locks. Remember what most of us thought about jumping up for CLAY?@?

Think AJ HAWK.

Find someone who should be a good addition on a spot on either OL, DL, LB, DB, and I would be HAPPY. Look at a QB, RB, WR, or a trade down ( UNLESS we win the SB) would bring ire and dread.

AND PS to TT:

Look into some VETERAN HELP in FA this off season. Its just time. Do it. Dont blow your nut, but make some moves to get over the hump.

To put it simple:
Nobody on the Vikings is unhappy about the $$$ spent on Allen or Hutchinson other than the guys who they replaced in the lineup

Nobody on the Jets are unhappy about signing Tomlinson or getting Cromartie is unhappy other than the guys who they replaced in the lineup.

At a certain point, some bodies just make sense. RIGHT NOW it makes sense.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thumbs up to McCarthy for having the balls to call the fake FG. But what the hell is Quarless doing tripping over his own feet instead of catching that? Could have sealed the game right there.

Also, for Studs - the refs! Finally, this season, we get more calls than the other team. The over-turned TD was a bad call IMHO and saved us from a tie.

One more STUD - the offensive line in pass protection. AR did not get sacked once, and was hit only 2 or 3 times. When I watched Clifton, he was man handling Jared Allen. I honestly did not think he had it in him anymore. Great job!

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the offensive line in pass protection. AR did not get sacked once, and was hit only 2 or 3 times. When I watched Clifton, he was man handling Jared Allen. I honestly did not think he had it in him anymore. Great job!

Yea that was very surprising to see that OLINE hold up, KUDOS to Rodgers for not waiting too long to throw the ball, and some very effective scrambles when nothing was there...I still don't know how him and the recievers were not on the same page most of the night, we left at least 10 points not scored out there

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One more positive: MMs game plan on offense. I love to see the return of the screen to the Packer playbook. This will pay even more dividends next game when defenses have to keep a LB home to account for the screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts