Studs And Duds: Packers @ Giants

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen any of these recently, and I always enjoyed them, so here goes....

And I am NOT, by any means, trying to steal anyone's idea. I know this isn't original.

Studs:

Aaron Rodgers - Despite a fairly porous O-line, great coverage by the Giants, and far too many drops by receivers, he still had a hell of a game. Moved well in pocket to buy time, made some outstanding throws, and even took off a few times for first downs. This guy never ceases to impress.

Clay Matthews - An absolute monster in this game. If not for a huge game from this guy, I'm not so sure we win. Both the sack fumble and pick six were HUGE for us, not only taking the ball away from the Giants, but also taking the momentum and getting those fans to quiet down for a while. Disruptive on most pass plays, and did O.K holding his edge on run plays.

Donald Driver - Made some big catches and hauled in two scores. Very solid game out of the Packer great.

Tim Masthay - Had some huge punts and really helped us win the field position battle, pinning the Giants inside their 20 4 times.

Jarret Bush (special teams) - The guy was flying around the field on punts. Truly a force on special teams.

Duds:

Entire defense, outside of Clay Matthews - Between blown coverages, inconsistent pass rush, poor D-line play, and poor run support, the defense overall had a very rough day.

Marshal Newhouse - The guy was a revolving door at left tackle. Didn't seem to matter who he was going up against, he didn't look good at all in pass protection.

Charles Woodson - It really pains me to put this guy up here, but this was easily his worst game of the season. He was getting picked on all day in coverage, giving up both big plays and big penalties.

Jermichael Finley - Had three or four inexcusable drops, some of which completely stalled drives. Had some nice grabs too, but if he wants to act like he's a premier TE and get paid like one, he's gotta hang onto the ball.

Run blocking - Seemed to be getting pushed into the backfield on run plays. But kudos to McCarthy for not completely abandoning the run and giving Saine a chance when it was clear Grant wasn't terribly effective.

Thoughts?

L

Lunchboxer

Studs Arron Rodgers Led the team down the field with less than a Min left for a GW FG.

Mason Crosby Game winning FG redeemed himself after that 40 yard miss.

Donald Driver 2 TD scores nuff said

Jordy Nelson a reliable receiver

Tim Mastay Master Punter

Clay Mathews that Pick 6 was a deciding factor

Duds

Jermical Finley droping 4 easy to catch passes

The Entire D outside of Claymaker himself. D was like play doh.

O-line Marhall Newhouse got worked alot he let anyone get through.

The Refs calling Inconsistent game.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Finley is a liability.

We won a Super Bowl without him, and his drops are really costing us.

He had one in Tampa Bay,2 or 3 against Detroit, then 5 today, and not to mention all the drops he had against Atlanta.

I'm just waiting on him to start *****ing about not getting the ball thrown to him enough.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% agree with the OP.

Defensive Line did NOTHING.
Offensive Line couldn't protect Rodgers and they couldn't run block.
One more farging dropped pass from Finley and I'm gonna hang him in effigy.

Given the pressure he was getting and the fire with which the Giants played, Rodgers was epic.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley is a liability.

We won a Super Bowl without him, and his drops are really costing us.

He had one in Tampa Bay,2 or 3 against Detroit, then 5 today, and not to mention all the drops he had against Atlanta.

I'm just waiting on him to start *****ing about not getting the ball thrown to him enough.
We, myself included, forget the good when the bad happens.
Like when Finley got 3 TD catches in one game.
Everybody makes mistakes.
It's easy to forget that when they are constant.

Thankfully we have plenty of other receivers for our Ultimate Dude to throw to.
I have yet to see Jordy Nelson drop a pass. Just sayin..

And how 'bouts our golden boy Donald!!!!
Two TDs for our great grinner :D in one game!!

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
We, myself included, forget the good when the bad happens.
Like when Finley got 3 TD catches in one game.
Everybody makes mistakes.
It's easy to forget that when they are constant.

Thankfully we have plenty of other receivers for our Ultimate Dude to throw to.
I have yet to see Jordy Nelson drop a pass. Just sayin..

And how 'bouts our golden boy Donald!!!!
Two TDs for our great grinner :D in one game!!

Ultimate Dude!! :)

Stud: Your signature. :D:D:D

God this is great. This is great. My favorite team is 0-12. My second fave is 12-0. It's like reverse fortunes crossing paths and maybe ending up colliding in Indy for the Super Bowl.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: All those with drop-itis.

Studs: Aaron, Donald, Greg, Jordy and Clay

Jermichael: What Happened?

Seriously folks, we've got to get the defense tighter!

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1 Newhouse ...this guy has been getting burned everygame
#2 Finley........does this guy want to return to the Packers next season? How many east dropped passes?
#3 Woodson..we all have our bad games....plus the concussion does not help
#4 Shields and Williams......nuff said
#5 The OL....how many times did Rodgers get time except for the last drive of the game(Newhouse)

This team is not to beat the Saints if they keep playing this way

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its unfair to say Newhouse has been getting burned every game, because he hasn't.
Hes a rookie who has been put in the O-line at LT (most important position) and has been tested by some of the best pass rushers in the game, veterans i.e Jared Allen etc. and I think he's done a damn good job so far.

The ones that stunk it up would be #3 #4 plus the rest of the secondary.
I just don't understand how Eli can just throw it up and get 50+ yards a time. It was really embarrassing and frustrating watching that game last night because of the poor play in the secondary.

And you can say all you want about how this is meant to be a good Giants team and every team is going to give us their best shot blah blah but that was too close.

If the 49ers or Saints give us their best shot in the playoffs then we are in big trouble.

The thing that annoys me most is that the past 3 games we have looked not as good on offense and the defense has been pretty gash all anyway.

I really hope we can get this turned round on defense going into January and I will feel alot better.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sloppy play in a number of areas. Dropped passes and it wasn't just Finley, uncharateristic int by AR, poor tackling, wide open receivers. Newhouse was atrocious, Neal just got crushed by his man and did nothing.

btw, hated the gimmick play call by mm.

Reaction score
There's defenses less talented than us and they play better.

Clay Matthews is seriously the only guy on defense doing his job.
The secondary has just sucked this entire season.... idk what's up.
It's annoying not having any pride in your defense... must be how the jets feel with their offense.

stud: Aaron Rodgers and ... kuhn?

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh BTW,,,,

Props to BJ Raji for picking up the ball for whatever reason.

It was kind of funny to watch him and the other guys around him finally figure out he had a live ball.

The defender right in front of him was doing a gentle paw at the ball looking over at the sideline....and BJ Raji had a somewhat halfhearted hold on the ball while he also looked over at the sideline where some perople seemingly were yelling over at them.

Suddenly everyone knew he had a LIVE BALL and BJ grasped it to his body and moved about a foot upfield and everyone around him converged on him.

If it hadn't been for Joe Buck on TV saying that it was a live ball I wouldn't have known it either.

I know players have this thought ingrained: while you're playing....no matter what you're doing on any play....blocking, tackling, running, laying down, whatever....if you see the ball anywhere except on a pass to one of your own guys....GET IT. It's cool seeing that happen during a game.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Studs
Rodgers-Need I say why?
Driver - Two TD catches, a couple first downs. Looked like the Driver of yesteryear.
Jordy - Continues to catch clutch passes
Matthews- Sacks down, but he is a force.
Duds
Finley - I'm starting to see him drop WAY too may passes
Entire defense - Once again, they just can't seem to tackle. A Giants TE fakes TWO defensive backs out of their shoes on one play? A tight end that has done nothing this year? Even I was looking for a run on that two point try, apparently nobody on the Dline was. Not to mention the fact that Manning seemed to have no pressure most of the time.

Members online