Source: the Packers claimed former Bears DT Ego Ferguson off of waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If true....Talented, Injured, suspended for 4 games for drug policy violation.

Letroy Guion v2.

Maybe a slight move backwards, but I somehow don't see this as any kind of improvement.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this is true it will be a nice move for a camp body. I think the guy has the ability to be a rotation player for our thin line. Lets see if he gets through camp 1st. He showed he has talent in college but has been a disappointment thus far as pro. Give him a shot. Again if this is true, I've not read any reports/articles yet!

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His rookie season was solid. He sophomore season he was injured. I wouldn't consider his play "disappointing" thus far. As to the move itself, agreed that a guy that was a 2nd round pick a couple of years ago and can be a solid contributor if healthy is a good, low-risk addition to our training camp. If he sucks, he sucks and gets cut. No big deal.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
His rookie season was solid. He sophomore season he was injured. I wouldn't consider his play "disappointing" thus far. As to the move itself, agreed that a guy that was a 2nd round pick a couple of years ago and can be a solid contributor if healthy is a good, low-risk addition to our training camp. If he sucks, he sucks and gets cut. No big deal.
Anyone know how PFF ranked Ferguson after the 2015 season?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow TT is going all out to bring in the defensive talent. Too bad the Bears cut him. I remember the Sitton and Lang wiping the field with him.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burt Reynolds what are you doing here?

Burt: That's not my name...

Alex: Turd Ferguson...

Burt: I'll take Andre the Giant for a thousand Alex....

Reaction score
This appears to be purely a rotational, depth move. He's a stop gap (pun intended)
Luckily for him he has all of camp, preseason and 4 regular season games to impress. Staying healthy seems to be his biggest hurdle thus far so let's see if he can get over that hurdle first.

D

Deleted member 6794

If true....Talented, Injured, suspended for 4 games for drug policy violation.

Ferguson was actually suspended for using performance enhancing drugs which is even worse for an NFL player.

Anyone know how PFF ranked Ferguson after the 2015 season?

PFF graded him at 61.0 in 2014 and 61.5 in '15 which is pretty much average.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The price was right and obviously he has zero wear and tear on him. We'll see. "Have a beer...........don't cost nothin'".

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not necessarily against the move but I get sick and tired of TT's MO of signing also-rans to be big time contributors on Defense. Granted I like Francois' signing as a proven veteran but these other guys are iffy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not necessarily against the move but I get sick and tired of TT's MO of signing also-rans to be big time contributors on Defense.

I don't believe Thompson expects Ferguson to be a big time contributor on defense next season. It doesn't hurt to kick the tires on him though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't believe Thompson expects Ferguson to be a big time contributor on defense next season. It doesn't hurt to kick the tires on him though.
I think it's likely he was acquired to compete for a roster spot. It may also mean he's not confident that he'll be able to find a roster ready DLine guy in this draft.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not necessarily against the move but I get sick and tired of TT's MO of signing also-rans to be big time contributors on Defense. Granted I like Francois' signing as a proven veteran but these other guys are iffy.

Agree. We get unproven talent or past their prime veterans and miss out on the prime players.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mise well boost the pass rush if you're content with keeping this sorry group of corners. The plan is to have opposing Qb's complete a high number of pass attempts in 3 seconds instead of 5 seconds.:tup:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Agree. We get unproven talent or past their prime veterans and miss out on the prime players.
Ego Ferguson was a 2nd rd pick 3 yrs ago and is only 25 yrs old. He's been injured the last 2 yrs, if he can stay healthy, he has a lot of tread left on the tires, being a waiver wire claim, the investment is minimal, and the payoff for a good rotational guy is possible.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ego Ferguson was a 2nd rd pick 3 yrs ago and is only 25 yrs old. He's been injured the last 2 yrs, if he can stay healthy, he has a lot of tread left on the tires, being a waiver wire claim, the investment is minimal, and the payoff for a good rotational guy is possible.

I'm worried about his PED suspension as well though. Players that get caught once tend to either end up facing another fine or regress in performance.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I'm worried about his PED suspension as well though. Players that get caught once tend to either end up facing another fine or regress in performance.
There's always worry about another suspension, but I still think its a low cost investment bringing him in, and if it doesn't work out, you aren't out a lot. His rookie year was pretty respectable, if we could get that out of him it would be a win.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And in addition to what Capt Wimm mentions above, it's all well and good to have good rotational guys...but that's not going to make us better. We need playmakers. We need players who make a difference in the starting team. And these signings are nowhere close enough to that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
And in addition to what Capt Wimm mentions above, it's all well and good to have good rotational guys...but that's not going to make us better. We need playmakers. We need players who make a difference in the starting team. And these signings are nowhere close enough to that.
Who would you pick up that is currently available that is an impact playmaker starter and how much and for how long would you sign them for?

D

Deleted member 6794

There's always worry about another suspension, but I still think its a low cost investment bringing him in, and if it doesn't work out, you aren't out a lot. His rookie year was pretty respectable, if we could get that out of him it would be a win.

I agree it's a low risk move as Ferguson's contract doesn't include any guarantees and results in no dead money counting against the cap if he's released before the start of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.