Source: the Packers claimed former Bears DT Ego Ferguson off of waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I view this just as a simple low risk, high reward signing. We can all speculate all we want but in all honesty, none of us have any idea how his conditioning has been since he entered the league. If he's kept himself in good shape and has stayed motivated, you could still look at this guy as someone with 2nd round potential. If his injuries have thrown his conditioning off track and rusted up his technique, yes it's just a camp body. But that doesn't change that just a few years ago, he was a highly sought after draft prospect. It's not exciting news or a definite "impact player", but it's something to at least keep an eye on throughout TC/PS

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not going to happen, but what would people's reactions be to signing Hankins @ $7-8M or even a 2-3 year deal at $8M/year? Hankins was reported to be seeking $10M/year, but with Poe and Logan signing at the $8M/mark his value is down.
Yes. I would empty the cheese drawer on hankins. He would open up our lbs to finally get a good rush. Coupled with Daniels, and whoever emerges as 3rd best dlman. Formerly Guion. But hopeful Clark breaks out... we could field a legit 3-4

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. I would empty the cheese drawer on hankins. He would open up our lbs to finally get a good rush. Coupled with Daniels, and whoever emerges as 3rd best dlman. Formerly Guion. But hopeful Clark breaks out... we could field a legit 3-4

Don't forget about RJF, I know it seemed like a small signing but I just can't see Thompson making another investment at DL to couple with that. I think the only other free agent signings you see will be the little, low risk ones like this. Plus it's not like TT to go after a guy that's hasn't been signed because he wants too much money.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

No doubt a Daniels, Hankins and Clark/RJF line could do some damage at stopping the run and hopefully create gaps for linebackers/safeties to shoot. Too risky of a move for TT and I'm not even 100% sure it would be a wise move either. The Packers would have to be really confident in Hankins and questionable on the starting value of RJF and below. If it did work out, the DL would not only be solid, but pretty deep as well.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I get it now: have him drop 30 lbs. to play OLB!

With a PED suspension on his resume, that might not be so difficult.

D

Deleted member 6794

overthecap.com shows Ferguson's contract is for about $980,000, all salary, no signing bonus.

Actually the Packers claimed Ferguson off waivers meaning the rest of the prorated portion of the signing bonus ($308,568) he received after being drafted counts against the Bears cap in 2017.

Yup, we were in really good shape cap wise with most of the starters locked into contracts in 15 and 16. Then came the bizarre 12 month long offensive funk and the 500 year flood of injuries that derailed what looked like a prime time run. Weird how stuff happens.

It's weird that Packers fans continue to use injuries as an excuse for the team coming up short although the defense only missed a single week 1 starter in the playoffs.

It's not going to happen, but what would people's reactions be to signing Hankins @ $7-8M or even a 2-3 year deal at $8M/year? Hankins was reported to be seeking $10M/year, but with Poe and Logan signing at the $8M/mark his value is down.

I would be fine with the Packers signing Hankins but after he struggled last season don't want the team to spend that kind of money on him.

Why has no one signed Hankins? Why is he a free agent to begin with? Plenty of teaMs need defensive line help.

It's strange that you bring up that point with Hankins yet in several other threads expect Thompson to sign several impact players before the start of next season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually the Packers claimed Ferguson off waivers meaning the rest of the prorated portion of the signing bonus ($308,568) he received after being drafted counts against the Bears cap in 2017.
Why wouldn't it count against the Bears cap if he wasn't picked up? Prorated signing bonus I thought accelerated when the player left the team for just about any reason.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have waived Ferguson after he failed his physical.

H

HardRightEdge

So? Is that supposed to be a correction of some kind?

D

Deleted member 6794

So? Is that supposed to be a correction of some kind?

I just wanted to point out that the Packers didn't negotiate a deal with Feeguson as they claimed him off waivers, automatically taking over the remaining season of the contract he signed with the Bears.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
OKAY, Buh-bye. Thanks for dropping by and do stop across the street at Krolls for a butter burger on your way out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts