Packers to sign DT Jarran Reed

D

Deleted member 6794

While the Packers might be able to squeeze one more veteren player onto the 2022 roster, their cap situation for 2023, 2024, 2025 with dead cap space and back loaded contracts is dire, especially with inflated salaries for WR, QB and CB's. The increasing salary cap will be sucked up by bigger contracts and won't bail the Packers out of their hole. Other than a one year deal for a declining player way past his prime, I don't see a reasonable situation to add a decent veteren on a longer contract without sabotaging future seasons even worse than they are already burdened.

As mentioned before the Packers currently are in the middle of the pack of cap space available for the 2023 season. While the situation gets worse two years from now it doesn't prevent them from making some moves to go all-in for this season. Especially considering the team will be able to correct their cap situation in the year following Rodgers' departure which will be a down season anyway.

Yeah I was thinking about that yesterday while considering a trade for Brandon Cooks. I'm not sure it's a good idea anyway, the guy can't stay in one place. But he has 12.5 mil in contract to eat this year. That might be doable, but even if it is, it's a band aid. The biggest factor determining the Packers success this year is how they restock the WR group. And they have to do it on a budget. It's never easy when you have a winning team.

The Packers would need to sign Cooks to an extension to lower his cap hit for 2022 if they trade for him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As mentioned before the Packers currently are in the middle of the pack of cap space available for the 2023 season. While the situation gets worse two years from now it doesn't prevent them from making some moves to go all-in for this season. Especially considering the team will be able to correct their cap situation in the year following Rodgers' departure which will be a down season anyway.

The Packers would need to sign Cooks to an extension to lower his cap hit for 2022 if they trade for him.
That's true. I forgot about that cause he's in his final contract year so cap hit is highest. Even if they wanted Cooks, do they want to push more cap out? I guess if they want a quality veteran WR, it's gonna be necessary at some point. As long as they're all in already, and given the shape of the WR group, looks like they have to do it if they can find a trade partner.

I don't think restocking the WR room with just rookies is gonna help a lot in the first year. Your thoughts?

D

Deleted member 6794

That's true. I forgot about that cause he's in his final contract year so cap hit is highest. Even if they wanted Cooks, do they want to push more cap out? I guess if they want a quality veteran WR, it's gonna be necessary at some point. As long as they're all in already, and given the shape of the WR group, looks like they have to do it if they can find a trade partner.

I don't think restocking the WR room with just rookies is gonna help a lot in the first year. Your thoughts?

In my opinion the Packers definitely need to add a veteran wide receiver before the start of the season. They have enough cap space to afford it as well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the Packers definitely need to add a veteran wide receiver before the start of the season. They have enough cap space to afford it as well.
Well that's good news about cap space. They certainly have trading capital. I know everyone wants to think the nest Jamarr Chase or Justin Jefferson is a draft pick away, but WRs have a big adjustment to the speed of the NFL, moreso than, say, an OL. And Rodgers needs to build trust with a guy. Takes time. And again, as long as they're all in, get a solid veteran and push cap out. We have a very tight window. Might as well go for it.

Now with all that said, who do you think makes a good trade partner? I mentioned Brandon Cooks and wouldn't be disappointed with him. Are there others?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that's good news about cap space. They certainly have trading capital. I know everyone wants to think the nest Jamarr Chase or Justin Jefferson is a draft pick away, but WRs have a big adjustment to the speed of the NFL, moreso than, say, an OL. And Rodgers needs to build trust with a guy. Takes time. And again, as long as they're all in, get a solid veteran and push cap out. We have a very tight window. Might as well go for it.

Now with all that said, who do you think makes a good trade partner? I mentioned Brandon Cooks and wouldn't be disappointed with him. Are there others?

I remember someone mentioned a trade for Dionte Johnson.

He would be a great fit in GB.

He's consistently produced with lesser QB play.

He was a 3rd round pick, so maybe using our 59th pick could prove to be worthy compensation.

Then GB maintains flexibility to target 2 WRs with the other picks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He would be a great fit in GB.

He's consistently produced with lesser QB play.

He was a 3rd round pick, so maybe using our 59th pick could prove to be worthy compensation.

Then GB maintains flexibility to target 2 WRs with the other picks.
Thanks. It just occurred to me that with a QB like Rodgers, they don't need the very best veteran WRs. First of all, they're too expensive. So find a veteran WR and add two or three picks. Not sure there's another way, but getting a veteran is a MUST.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks. It just occurred to me that with a QB like Rodgers, they don't need the very best veteran WRs. First of all, they're too expensive. So find a veteran WR and add two or three picks. Not sure there's another way, but getting a veteran is a MUST.

I don't care for the big names. I think Johnson is young, consistent, and still ascending.

He produced for Big Ben, Mason Rudolph, and Dwayne Haskins.

AR 12 is better than all three combined.

Add this Dionte Johnson, along with Burks and Watson or Pierce, and you got a diverse WR corps.

The incumbent WRs slot into their proper place, including Lazard as the #4.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care for the big names. I think Johnson is young, consistent, and still ascending.

He produced for Big Ben, Mason Rudolph, and Dwayne Haskins.

AR 12 is better than all three combined.

Add this Dionte Johnson, along with Burks and Watson or Pierce, and you got a diverse WR corps.

The incumbent WRs slot into their proper place, including Lazard as the #4.
I looked up Johnson yesterday and was very impressed. He falls in that sweet spot where he's not gonna cost $20 mil/year but will still produce 1,000 yards plus change and around 10 TDs, and those numbers would likely be higher in GB. It might take a #1 and #2 or #3 pick to get him, but that's better than relying just on the draft.

Pittsburgh is rebuilding and might value the draft capital. I'm not convinced they'll take a QB in rd. 1 this year because the prospects are average. Granted a GB pick is gonna be in the later part of the round, but hey, it's draft capital.

Anyway, that was a good find. I'd love it if they could get him away from Pittsburgh. And I like Watson as an MVS replacement. Plenty of speed.

D

Deleted member 6794

And Rodgers needs to build trust with a guy. Takes time.

Other than in past seasons Rodgers won't have a lot of time to build trust with new receivers being added this offseason.

I would have liked to trade for Cooks as well but unfortunately he signed an extension with the Texans yesterday.

As mentioned before I think it would be smart to question if the team a player is currently under contract with would even be interested in trading him before putting random names out there. In most cases with young, blue-chip players the answer is a definite NO.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than in past seasons Rodgers won't have a lot of time to build trust with new receivers being added this offseason.

I would have liked to trade for Cooks as well but unfortunately he signed an extension with the Texans yesterday.

As mentioned before I think it would be smart to question if the team a player is currently under contract with would even be interested in trading him before putting random names out there. In most cases with young, blue-chip players the answer is a definite NO.
I hope Rodgers attends all the non-mandatory team gatherings, OTAs, etc - stuff he doesn't have to attend. The more work he can get with the young receivers the better.

As for trading for a veteran WR, yeah that's better left to the GM. The speculation, whether it's Cooks, Johnson, others shows just how hard it will be to find a veteran WR. Somehow Gluten has to do it. The draft alone won't be near enough.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I looked up Johnson yesterday and was very impressed. He falls in that sweet spot where he's not gonna cost $20 mil/year but will still produce 1,000 yards plus change and around 10 TDs, and those numbers would likely be higher in GB. It might take a #1 and #2 or #3 pick to get him, but that's better than relying just on the draft.

Pittsburgh is rebuilding and might value the draft capital. I'm not convinced they'll take a QB in rd. 1 this year because the prospects are average. Granted a GB pick is gonna be in the later part of the round, but hey, it's draft capital.

Anyway, that was a good find. I'd love it if they could get him away from Pittsburgh. And I like Watson as an MVS replacement. Plenty of speed.

I think the 59th pick would work.

Plus a new deal. 4 yr/70M deal or slightly less.

Either the 22nd or 28th and the 53rd could be used on 2 more receivers.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Isn't speculation one of the best parts of the forum?

Will we get in trouble for tampering?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the 59th pick would work.

Plus a new deal. 4 yr/70M deal or slightly less.

Either the 22nd or 28th and the 53rd could be used on 2 more receivers.
I think it would take a first rounder to get him, and ideally I'd like to get him for Davante's former salary, $15 mil/year. That's $60 mil over 4 years, and might be enough to get him to want to move. Then it would be up to Pittsburgh. But after losing JJSS, they're gonna be less likely to let Johnson go.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would take a first rounder to get him, and ideally I'd like to get him for Davante's former salary, $15 mil/year. That's $60 mil over 4 years, and might be enough to get him to want to move. Then it would be up to Pittsburgh. But after losing JJSS, they're gonna be less likely to let Johnson go.

I think JuJu is overrated, which is why Pittsburgh weren't aggressive in retaining him.

I disagree with the need to use a 1st round pick for a trade to go through.

Although, if a trade were to go through, I definitely like the 4yr/60M deal; that looks better lol.

My only caveat, is that if Wilson or Olave are off the board at #22. Then and only then would I offer the #22 for Dionte Jonson.

I used NFL Mock Draft Simulator for this scenario. I traded the #22 and the 3rd rounder from next year for the Pittsburgh's #52 & #84 and theoretically Dionte Johnson (the site doesn't allow for non-draft player trades).

With Dionte Johnson in the fold, I used the #28 on Treylon Burks.

I think these two would compliment each other as they offer different skills sets.

Now armed with consecutive picks #52 & #53 along with #59 (which I used on Jahan Dotson), GB has flexibility to move forward.

This scenario build the WR corp as follows:

WR1: Dionte Johnson
WR2: Treylon Burks (#28)
WR3: Jahan Dotson (#59)
WR4: Allen Lazard
WR5: Amari Rodgers
WR6: Randall Cobb

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think JuJu is overrated, which is why Pittsburgh weren't aggressive in retaining him.

I disagree with the need to use a 1st round pick for a trade to go through.

Although, if a trade were to go through, I definitely like the 4yr/60M deal; that looks better lol.

My only caveat, is that if Wilson or Olave are off the board at #22. Then and only then would I offer the #22 for Dionte Jonson.

I used NFL Mock Draft Simulator for this scenario. I traded the #22 and the 3rd rounder from next year for the Pittsburgh's #52 & #84 and theoretically Dionte Johnson (the site doesn't allow for non-draft player trades).

With Dionte Johnson in the fold, I used the #28 on Treylon Burks.

I think these two would compliment each other as they offer different skills sets.

Now armed with consecutive picks #52 & #53 along with #59 (which I used on Jahan Dotson), GB has flexibility to move forward.

This scenario build the WR corp as follows:

WR1: Dionte Johnson
WR2: Treylon Burks (#28)
WR3: Jahan Dotson (#59)
WR4: Allen Lazard
WR5: Amari Rodgers
WR6: Randall Cobb
I speculate that Pittsburgh would laugh at your trade offer. You are basically asking them to give you the 52nd pick in the draft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not a fair trade @Schultz?
I think you could have stopped with this year's #22 and a 3rd from next year for Johnson. I don't think Pittsburgh would give up more. If Pittsburgh moves up in the draft to grab a QB as some writers speculate, then I think a trade for Johnson looks better as it allows Pittsburgh a way to recoup draft capital.

I like the idea of adding Johnson and Burks. Not sure Burks will be there at #28 though. Dotson is a good choice, although I'd take Watson if he's there for speed.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you could have stopped with this year's #22 and a 3rd from next year for Johnson. I don't think Pittsburgh would give up more. If Pittsburgh moves up in the draft to grab a QB as some writers speculate, then I think a trade for Johnson looks better as it allows Pittsburgh a way to recoup draft capital.

I like the idea of adding Johnson and Burks. Not sure Burks will be there at #28 though. Dotson is a good choice, although I'd take Watson if he's there for speed.

Fair enough. I've said before as desktop GM, "I'm greedy".

It would be nice to get back into the 2nd round.

There some damn good players there and there really isn't a noticeable drop-off amongst the players in the first 2 rounds.

Burks remains a late 1st rounder in many simulations and mock drafts.

Last, I like Christian Watson too.

I think he will come off the board sooner than people think.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough. I've said before as desktop GM, "I'm greedy".

It would be nice to get back into the 2nd round.

There some damn good players there and there really isn't a noticeable drop-off amongst the players in the first 2 rounds.

Burks remains a late 1st rounder in many simulations and mock drafts.

Last, I like Christian Watson too.

I think he will come off the board sooner than people think.
Yeah Watson might drop and I agree Burks could be around at #28. And yeah, I think there will be solid picks at WR in rounds 2 and even 3. I won't be surprised if they take 2 WRs in the draft. They've don't it before. Somewhere in there they need to find a solid iDL and OL. Although the Packers have had great success drafting OLinemen in rounds 4, 5 and even 6.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Watson might drop and I agree Burks could be around at #28. And yeah, I think there will be solid picks at WR in rounds 2 and even 3. I won't be surprised if they take 2 WRs in the draft. They've don't it before. Somewhere in there they need to find a solid iDL and OL. Although the Packers have had great success drafting OLinemen in rounds 4, 5 and even 6.

This draft is deep at all positions excluding QB and RB.

GB must draft 2 WRs.

I think both O and D lines have value throughout the draft.

There are no clear starters for WR and TE.

Green Bay needs to add to those groups significantly and hopefully Gute won't get "cute" looking too far ahead in the future.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I hope Rodgers attends all the non-mandatory team gatherings, OTAs, etc - stuff he doesn't have to attend. The more work he can get with the young receivers the better.

I highly doubt Rodgers will show up in Green Bay for any offseason workouts, most likely not even for the mandatory minicamp.

Isn't speculation one of the best parts of the forum?

Will we get in trouble for tampering?

I agree that speculating should definitely be welcomed on a forum but in my opinion it doesn't make sense to propose unrealistic scenarios repeatedly.

That's not a fair trade @Schultz?

The Steelers GM should be fired before hanging up the phone if he agrees to the trade you suggested.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that speculating should definitely be welcomed on a forum but in my opinion it doesn't make sense to propose unrealistic scenarios repeatedly.
I think this entire off-season has seen the unrealistic become reality. Why should it stop now?
The Steelers GM should be fired before hanging up the phone if he agrees to the trade you suggested.

Good. Hopefully the Bears, Lions, or Vikings will hire the guy next.

If I'm GM...I'm going for the fleece.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really??? How many blue-chip players still on their rookie deals have been traded this offseason???
I must admit I can't recall any transactions of that nature happening.

That doesn't mean that it won't happen.

Rookie Deal Poaching
That's fine but don't expect another GM to agree to such a deal.
Fair.

I just know like closing time at the bar or club there will be a desperate team waiting.

Members online

Latest posts