Source: the Packers claimed former Bears DT Ego Ferguson off of waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

Who would you pick up that is currently available that is an impact playmaker starter and how much and for how long would you sign them for?

Geez, picking up an impact player would have had to happen nearly four weeks ago. Of course there aren't any elite players available a month after the start of free agency.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who would you pick up that is currently available that is an impact playmaker starter and how much and for how long would you sign them for?

I don't see the point in letting people leave (to save money) if we can't replace them with equal talent if not an improvement.

As to pay if that's what it takes, then that's what we should do. We'll end up mucking about and *****in about money, when the rest of the teams improve their player quality.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The scouting report on him coming out of LSU was somewhat mixed, a lot of it was about "potential". Three years into his career, that potential has yet to develop, although there have been some mitigating injuries that may have contributed to the lack of success.

I would say he's worth giving a shot at a cap-friendly salary, but let's not get our hopes up too high. It's a position Green Bay needs help at, and even if he's only the next C.J. Wilson, that's something.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't see the point in letting people leave (to save money) if we can't replace them with equal talent if not an improvement.
It's called the salary cap. Some of us saw this FA bulge coming a mile away, as far back as 2015.

H

HardRightEdge

overthecap.com shows Ferguson's contract is for about $980,000, all salary, no signing bonus.

This is hardly an expression of confidence. They can cut him before the season starts and owe nothing other than whatever the camp per diem happens to be.

This amounts to a flyer on a guy they may have had on the board in 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is ABYSMAL at scouting DL prospects. I honestly think Mike Daniels was just the good Lord Jesus smiling down on him, and Raji was a lock pick, any arm chair QB knew he had talent. I wouldn't put it past TT if he viewed Ferguson as his next Pro Bowler for years.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

TT is ABYSMAL and scouting DL prospects. I honestly think Mike Daniels was just the good Lord Jesus smiling down on him, and Raji was a lock pick, any arm chair QB knew he had talent. I wouldn't put it past TT if he viewed Ferguson as his next Pro Bowler for years.
I would think Thompson views Ferguson along the same lines as the 2012 signings of Daniel Muir and Anthony Hargrove. I'd expect a couple more cheap vet signings on a flyer.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's called the salary cap. Some of us saw this FA bulge coming a mile away, as far back as 2015.
Yup, we were in really good shape cap wise with most of the starters locked into contracts in 15 and 16. Then came the bizarre 12 month long offensive funk and the 500 year flood of injuries that derailed what looked like a prime time run. Weird how stuff happens.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me , Ferguson is another fiddle around with the bottom of the roster/no impact - amounts to nothing moves Thompson is so fond of. Bright spot? It's a you could win/ can't lose move.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This DL draft class stinks. He's bringing in a camp body who could potentially catch on and be more.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's not going to happen, but what would people's reactions be to signing Hankins @ $7-8M or even a 2-3 year deal at $8M/year? Hankins was reported to be seeking $10M/year, but with Poe and Logan signing at the $8M/mark his value is down.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT plays Roulette, he probably bets equally on both red and black.
Funny story, I know an older guy that has spent his whole life building an appearance of wealth.

He's done fairly well for himself, but upper middle class is where he's always been. That stuff means nothing to me, but to some, well to each his own. Anyway it is so important to him to appear very rich, he's fine to both Packer Super Bowls and to keep pace with his "friends he always bets thousands more than anyone else in the group. And places another bet depending on the odds the other way to basically cover each other. It's not a perfect scenario but he makes pretty large bets and losing a few thousand is money well spent to him to maintain that appearance of a risk taker and wealth. I never got it

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not going to happen, but what would people's reactions be to signing Hankins @ $7-8M or even a 2-3 year deal at $8M/year? Hankins was reported to be seeking $10M/year, but with Poe and Logan signing at the $8M/mark his value is down.
Why has no one signed Hankins? Why is he a free agent to begin with? Plenty of teaMs need defensive line help.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why has no one signed Hankins? Why is he a free agent to begin with? Plenty of teaMs need defensive line help.
He and his agent over valued his services and were seeking $10M/year. He will be signed and I am guessing he will be resigning with the Giants, but not until he is willing to take less or another team meets his demands. Good player, but obviously not worth what he is asking.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Funny story, I know an older guy that has spent his whole life building an appearance of wealth.

He's done fairly well for himself, but upper middle class is where he's always been. That stuff means nothing to me, but to some, well to each his own. Anyway it is so important to him to appear very rich, he's fine to both Packer Super Bowls and to keep pace with his "friends he always bets thousands more than anyone else in the group. And places another bet depending on the odds the other way to basically cover each other. It's not a perfect scenario but he makes pretty large bets and losing a few thousand is money well spent to him to maintain that appearance of a risk taker and wealth. I never got it

Ask a gambler if he won and you will get the resulting answers and their actual meanings.

"Did you win?"
  1. "I won big": Means he actually won some money that day, we just don't know how much he lost back.
  2. "I broke even": Means he lost some money but figures the experience was worth it and it was an "even" trade.
  3. "I lost a little": This is a sign of a bad day. Lost more than he wanted to, but won't admit it, so he can go back.
  4. "I lost my shirt": You might want to check if he even has pants or a car.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a low risk/high reward pick up. His contract is only $980,000 thats chump change in todays NFL. If he sucks they cut him and move on. If he finally plays to his potential they hit the lottery then. The guy is only 26. You can never have enough big bodies in camp.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
overthecap.com shows Ferguson's contract is for about $980,000, all salary, no signing bonuses.

This is hardly an expression of confidence. They can cut him before the season starts and owe nothing other than whatever the camp per diem happens to be.

This amounts to a flyer on a guy they may have had on the board in 2014.

It is quite possible that Ted did have an interest in him back then and now he has the chance to finally kick the tires for himself and get a first hand look.

There was talk that he didn't fit the Bears defense and they run the same as we do but there is also a possibility that the injuries have kept him from making the adjustments. My BIL is a Bears fan and said he liked the way he played when he was on the field.

I realize its not the difference maker that everyone wants us to sign but improvements at the bottom of the roster are still improvements. If you look at it as if they are signing Ferguson instead of the difference maker yeah, it is disappointing but if you look at it like Ted wasn't going to sign the difference maker anyway then its a good signing.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Reminds me a bit of the Lerentee McCray signing last year. Although McCray wasn't drafted, the Packers seemed to like what they saw in him. He didn't stick around long though and was traded to the Bills for a conditional 7th round 2018 pick towards the end of the preseason. Personally, I would rather see more of these kinds of signings than a boat load of UDFA's used to just fill a preseason roster spot.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who can join the dline rotation and put in quality play would be a plus. A strong rotation will be vital to our dlines success.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who can join the dline rotation and put in quality play would be a plus. A strong rotation will be vital to our dlines success.

I'd say we still need another rotational guy at OLB and then it's CB, CB, CB, CB.

Added depth anywhere is a plus though

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looks bad. There's no reason to be mad about it, I'm just surprised it made the news on NFL.com. I'd be thrilled if he were even a capable backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts