Should The Packers Bring In Manziel?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tempted to Disagree, but that would imply I contend that he is. I don't, in fact, I HAVE NO IDEA, much like everyone else here.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He ain't bipolar.

I love you guys!

He effin AIN'T BIPOLAR!

I love you guys!

Not sure if this is suppose to be humor by the way it is written? If it isn't, I would be curious to know how and why you have come to this conclusion?

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he turns his life around but no NFL team should waste their time with him until he proves he's committed to sobriety and can prove his football talents in either the Spring League or CFL (or both).

Reaction score
He’s so screwed up I feel screwed up just talking about how screwed up he is and that’s screwed up in itself. Bringing on Manziel would be like trading Janis for Newhouse and then hiring Bostick to be our gunner. Makes zero sense ;)

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he turns his life around but no NFL team should waste their time with him until he proves he's committed to sobriety and can prove his football talents in either the Spring League or CFL (or both).

Even if he did it would make no difference to me. His off the field baggage is not even his biggest issue even if significant. His problem is he has no ability to grasp an NFL offense or run it at all correctly because he is nothing more than a backyard football guy. That's exactly what he is when totally sober and anyone unaware of that has seen zero of his college or NFL games.

He definitely will not be coming here because trust me, Aaron Rodgers would alienate himself from the guy quickly and Mike McCarthy would never coexist with him, and it has nothing to do with him being sober or not and everything to do with him being a dumb QB. I know this because MM made it abundantly clear in the short time he worked with Favre here that no more hot ******* would be tolerated, and Manziel is practically that on steroids and completely uncoachable.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if he did it would make no difference to me. His off the field baggage is not even his biggest issue even if significant. His problem is he has no ability to grasp an NFL offense or run it at all correctly because he is nothing more than a backyard football guy. That's exactly what he is when totally sober and anyone unaware of that has seen zero of his college or NFL games.

He definitely will not be coming here because trust me, Aaron Rodgers would alienate himself from the guy quickly and Mike McCarthy would never coexist with him, and it has nothing to do with him being sober or not and everything to do with him being a dumb QB. I know this because MM made it abundantly clear in the short time he worked with Favre here that no more hot ******* would be tolerated, and Manziel is practically that on steroids and completely uncoachable.
I don't know enough to know that you are correct, but I must admit that I have been thinking something very similar.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Definitely a "criteria" of a team even wanting him back, what can he do on the field, if he stays healthy?

I wouldn't view this much different than a guy that is trying to come back after a major knee injury, with one caveat, a knee injury is easier to determine if it is fully healed, bipolar disorders are not healed, they are managed. Beyond that, the questions asked are pretty much the same; Where is he at in his recovery? What are the chances of the injury reoccurring? and finally, the ultimate question, What can he do as a football player for this team?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely a "criteria" of a team even wanting him back, what can he do on the field, if he stays healthy?

I wouldn't view this much different than a guy that is trying to come back after a major knee injury, with one caveat, a knee injury is easier to determine if it is fully healed, bipolar disorders are not healed, they are managed. Beyond that, the questions asked are pretty much the same; Where is he at in his recovery? What are the chances of the injury reoccurring? and finally, the ultimate question, What can he do as a football player for this team?

I'm saying I already answered that question. He doesn't listen to any coaches and he just runs around in the pocket trying to play backyard football. He's a downgrade on Hundley because Hundley is coachable and JM is not.

And just to clarify, Hundley being coachable doesn't change my mind about getting rid of him. Obviously he can't run our offense without the training wheels and he can't process the NFL game speed, but I do believe he's tried to follow MM's instructions. JM does not, he just lives by ad-libbing every play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm saying I already answered that question. He doesn't listen to any coaches and he just runs around in the pocket trying to play backyard football. He's a downgrade on Hundley because Hundley is coachable and JM is not.

I'm not debating whether the Packers should or shouldn't sign Manziel. However, if you expect him to be the same football player he was before being treated for bipolar disorder, than your mind is made up and no way would you even consider him. Some teams might be willing to gamble on the fact that he could be a better player if he keeps his disorder in check.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not debating whether the Packers should or shouldn't sign Manziel. However, if you expect him to be the same football player he was before being treated for bipolar disorder, than your mind is made up and no way would you even consider him. Some teams might be willing to gamble on the fact that he could be a better player if he keeps his disorder in check.

There has never been a QB in the history of the league who has changed his style of play.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you have never read about Kurt Warner, Johnny Unitas or Jim Plunkett?

When did Kurt Warner ever change his style of play? Only thing I ever recall him changing was teams going from StL to NYG and then of course to the Cardinals. But I don't equate changing schemes to changing style of play. Looked the same to me in Arizona as it did with the 1999 Rams team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When did Kurt Warner ever change his style of play? Only thing I ever recall him changing was teams going from StL to NYG and then of course to the Cardinals. But I don't equate changing schemes to changing style of play. Looked the same to me in Arizona as it did with the 1999 Rams team.

Label it "style" or whatever fits your argument, I am talking about going from failure to success, which I think is more important than "style".

Warner's career path:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Label it "style" or whatever fits your argument, I am talking about going from failure to success, which I think is more important than "style".

Warner's career path:

Maybe but style can impact that very factor. Pure examples being like Jay Cutler or Cam Newton playing in their style vs the Brees or Rodgers style. Now if you have a rock-solid defense behind you like those previous 2 did in their best years, you just might get away with their weaknesses. If you don't though, be prepared for the gunslinging and running around trying to ad-lib the plays to bite you in the butt.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe but style can impact that very factor. Pure examples being like Jay Cutler or Cam Newton playing in their style vs the Brees or Rodgers style. Now if you have a rock-solid defense behind you like those previous 2 did in their best years, you just might get away with their weaknesses. If you don't though, be prepared for the gunslinging and running around trying to ad-lib the plays to bite you in the butt.

My point was pretty simple. Players have gone from crap to HOF and everything in between. All the variables that made them a crap player can change (for the better or worse) or remain the same. Teams interested in Manziel, if there are any, will just have to decide if that is a possibility for him. I'm just not a person who would say "He absolutely will never be a decent player in the NFL". Right now his bipolar disorder is probably his biggest obstacle, for himself and for those who don't truly understand it.

Reaction score
And just to clarify, Hundley being coachable doesn't change my mind about getting rid of him. Obviously he can't run our offense without the training wheels and he can't process the NFL game speed, but I do believe he's tried to follow MM's instructions. JM does not, he just lives by ad-libbing every play.
I'm not trying to rile you up I'm pretty certain you don't like Hundley :ninja: but I will just say I think we keep him and let him battle it out with a Veteran and whoever else they bring in to compete. Let it be a battle of attrition

So you have never read about Kurt Warner, Johnny Unitas or Jim Plunkett?
I once saw Jim Plunkett on a talk show (showing my age) just after the Superbowl. It's one of the most impressive things I've seen on live t.v. He was just sitting there on the couch or whatever and they tossed a football at him. They asked him to throw the ball at a car tire they had hung up across the stage (trying not to embellish here it was within 40-50 feet range?) He stood up, took a step back a fired a shot through the tire on his first attempt. They showed the replay in slow motion and it didn't even come close to any edge of the tire that's how perfect the throw was and he did it so casually it was impressive

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to rile you up I'm pretty certain you don't like Hundley :ninja: but I will just say I think we keep him and let him battle it out with a Veteran and whoever else they bring in to compete. Let it be a battle of attrition

I can live with that, so long as the QB competition is being evaluated fairly.

Members online

Latest posts