Should The Packers Bring In Manziel?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bipolar based usually has alternating behavioural tendencies. You have gung ho times when the energy and enthusiasm overflows and then the down when it's hard to get out of the bed.

For me, Manziel is just a weak willed person discipline-wise. He just likes having a good time, probably alcohol and gambling addicted too. Generally likes to have a good time and maybe he got away with it in College, but NFL is a hard taskmaster. Just another bust who would never live upto the hype.

Bipolar is a catch all syndrome and sounds better to public than addictions.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
SMH

Not wanting to make this a "medical debate", but before people toss around "bipolar" and what it means and doesn't mean (to them), they might want to research it a bit before doing so. There are quite a few high functioning people in this world who have been diagnosed with the bipolar disorder. I think you will find their discovery and treatment of it a genuine change in how they lived their lives.

I am not diagnosing Manziel or giving him reasons for what he did or didn't do, I just think people need to educated themselves before they are so absolute on their convictions of the guy.

H

HardRightEdge

He has a troubled past because he is a very immature, self entitled, disrespectful, lying piece of crap.
You forgot to mention he's a surely drunk.

Maybe he's gotten past all that. Camp arm? Sure, and take it from there. That's less nuts than thinking Vince Young could have been the Packers starting QB.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad we have a medical professional in the forum.

I'm glad you're glad about that.

Gotta luv blanket statements like that.

Facts are facts. Bipolar disorder doesn't explain nor mitigate his deviant behavior. Charles Haley, Darrell Strawberry, Alonzo Spellman, Delonte West and probably many untold others have had successful athletic careers with bipolar disorder.

Last edited:

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So your solution is to replace one inept QB with another inept QB?
No I did not state I was in favor of signing mr. football. The point I was attempting to make is if the reason for not bringing him in is he was not an nfl caliber qb, why do we keep another around when he has also proven to not be of nfl caliber talent? Call me what you will, but I don’t think another year in the system is going to make Brett hundley.

H

HardRightEdge

No, they're not. Who taught you that nonsense?
Assuming an artificial wall between internal feeling and it's external expression is counter productive. Who taught you your nonsense? A behavioralist I would suppose.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming an artificial wall between internal feeling and it's external expression is counter productive. Who taught you your nonsense?

Oh, let's see. Only every psychology and medical textbook I've read along with every psychiatrist I've worked with. I suppose you know better than all of them too. BTW, what is your profession? From what well of experience do you draw your expertise on the subject?

You find me ONE psychiatrist, psychologist or therapist who denies that depression is a MOOD disorder.

The visible expression of a mood is behavior. In this context, they are one and same.

No, they're not the same. One is the cause, the other is the effect. In the case of depression, those associated behaviors can vary vastly and sometimes when people are able to cope with their depression, there may very well be no stereotypical behaviors at all. That doesn't mean they don't have depression. OTOH, a person who attempts suicide often isn't depressed at all and they do it for the attention or to "get back" at someone who made them upset. BPD anyone?

If you want to excuse Manziel's ******* behavior because he claims to have bipolar disorder, be my guest. I've dealt with all manner of psychiatric patients for 9 years and I'm not buying it. I'm not denying the guy might have bipolar disorder, but I would bet my last dollar he would be just as much of a ***** either way.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad you're glad about that.

Facts are facts. Bipolar disorder doesn't explain nor mitigate his deviant behavior. Charles Haley, Darrell Strawberry, Alonzo Spellman, Delonte West and probably many untold others have had successful athletic careers with bipolar disorder.

And many others have blown their brains out or spent their entire lives shooting heroin or drinking Boone's Farm under a freeway bridge. The fact that some players have overcome it to have successful careers doesn't mean anything for Manziel; it can play out many different ways in different people.

I'm no doctor, but I did spend 5 years in a relationship with a bipolar woman. It didn't make me an expert by any means (there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge) but I did learn some things firsthand about how it can affect the way someone lives their life. I tend to agree that bipolar disorder in and of itself doesn't explain everything that seems to be happening with Manziel, but if he is really bipolar, it could certainly be a factor. Self-medication in the form of substance abuse, stupid, self-destructive decisionmaking, unrealistic self-assessments.... wouldn't exactly shock me.

Whatever is going on with the guy, he's got a tough road ahead of him. He doesn't strike me as someone who's learned very good life skills, and if he's really serious about turning his life around, I wish him all the luck in the world. But he's getting off to a pretty late start, and I don't know if I'd want to be one of the first one or two teams to give him a chance.

If you want to excuse Manziel's ******* behavior because he claims to have bipolar disorder, be my guest. I've dealt with all manner of psychiatric patients for 9 years and I'm not buying it. I'm not denying the guy might have bipolar disorder, but I would bet my last dollar he would be just as much of a ***** either way.

Annndddd, that's still another way of saying it! :laugh:

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m sure he’d fit in real well with other drunk goobers at the bars on broadway. What indicators do you have that he has grown up at All???

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's had a troubled past. However, the talent could still be there. Should he be brought in as backup QB?

Hell ****in No and ridiculous to even suggest it. This guy is the biggest NFL media fraud to be hyped up in NFL history and has the biggest **** for brains ever put out on a gridiron. Turnover machine and is the one QB out there who actually could be worse than Hundley. I don't ever want to see this **** disgracing the Green and Gold uniform. Yup I said it, he's a disgrace to football.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And many others have blown their brains out or spent their entire lives shooting heroin or drinking Boone's Farm under a freeway bridge. The fact that some players have overcome it to have successful careers doesn't mean anything for Manziel; it can play out many different ways in different people.

I'm no doctor, but I did spend 5 years in a relationship with a bipolar woman. It didn't make me an expert by any means (there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge) but I did learn some things firsthand about how it can affect the way someone lives their life. I tend to agree that bipolar disorder in and of itself doesn't explain everything that seems to be happening with Manziel, but if he is really bipolar, it could certainly be a factor.

Sure, it could be a factor. Perhaps even a mitigating factor. I wouldn't argue against that. But an excuse? Looking at his history and tendencies, he really does fit the typical behavior pattern of a person with narcissistic personality disorder. But since psychiatrist don't generally accept patients based on an Axis II diagnosis alone, it must be accompanied by an Axis I diagnosis, especially if he's going to be prescribed meds. The most popular diagnoses to tack on to an Axis II diagnosis are bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell ****** No and ridiculous to even suggest it. This guy is the biggest NFL media fraud to be hyped up in NFL history and has the biggest **** for brains ever put out on a gridiron. Turnover machine and is the one QB out there who actually could be worse than Hundley. I don't ever want to see this **** disgracing the Green and Gold uniform. Yup I said it, he's a disgrace to football.

Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you're saying you'd prefer not to have him here. Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood.

Last edited:

Bob 61

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This organization,as have every other one has made some boneheaded decisions, are’s being the Martelleus Bennett fiasco. What fan would even want a worthless QB like him in the organization we already have a bad backup QB for one and why would u bring in a proven cancer to any team he would be on. Just find a decent veteran QB on the cheap and keep Calihan or let him and Huntley go and draft someone with some potential down the road

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No I did not state I was in favor of signing mr. football. The point I was attempting to make is if the reason for not bringing him in is he was not an nfl caliber qb, why do we keep another around when he has also proven to not be of nfl caliber talent? Call me what you will, but I don’t think another year in the system is going to make Brett hundley.

Absolutely not and I been calling since this season was over to ship him out. But it's absolutely ludicrous to suggest bringing in a rodeo ******** to replace him or even compete. We improve on the backup QB position by going after a Matt Flynn guy and not a proven bust like JFF or Baker Mayfield.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, let's see. Only every psychology and medical textbook I've read along with every psychiatrist I've worked with. I suppose you know better than all of them too. BTW, what is your profession? From what well of experience do you draw your expertise on the subject?

You find me ONE psychiatrist, psychologist or therapist who denies that depression is a MOOD disorder.

No, they're not the same. One is the cause, the other is the effect. In the case of depression, those associated behaviors can vary vastly and sometimes when people are able to cope with their depression, there may very well be no stereotypical behaviors at all. That doesn't mean they don't have depression. OTOH, a person who attempts suicide often isn't depressed at all and they do it for the attention or to "get back" at someone who made them upset. BPD anyone?

I think you are just bring pedantic here.

All we have to go by in this case are Manziels action as noted by people in his team, aka his behavior. Unless you have a special insight to this mood swings directly, we should stick with behavioral analysis on what we read about him.

Either way, I'm not inclined to take this further...moreso as I don't believe he's Bipolar either and that doesn't explain it excuse his actions.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
His off field issues aside, the kid is not a football player. No idea how any team even considered him in the NFL, let alone the first round, but that is the Cleveland Browns for you. He is small, does not make good decisions and is not a leader. To put him in Green and Yellow would be a downgrade to Hundley.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably not.

1. Baggage. Of course, it's possible that's all in the past, and it's all good from here forward, but that still has to be taken into consideration.

2. Productivity. He hasn't had much at this level, which might be attributable to other factors, or might be due to him simply not being all that good. I can't say for certain, all that I know that is that he hasn't had much.

He did have a pretty good college career. Then again, so did Ryan Leaf, among others. It doesn't always translate.

I wouldn't rule him completely out, but based on the above, it seems unlikely that he's the preferred option.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope he pulls his life together and has some success, but I don’t see it in Green Bay. All you people yapping about what bipolar is or isn’t are morons...

Members online

Latest posts