Short term vs long term

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, but we've played many games with McCarthy and MLF where we do the majority of our scoring in the 1st half and hang on in the 2nd.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Short term, it's pack it in time folks. Can't lose to a 2-4 team with a backup QB and expect to make the playoffs and contend for a title. Start looking at the roster and see what moves can be made.
Long term, sell some guys for draft picks and lock up some guys you see as need. For example, work something out with Gary.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There isn't a team with a worse long-term outlook in the league than the Packers. Rodgers salary cap destroying contract will keep the team uncompetitive for years. He could've signed a team friendly deal but the opposite occurred because he put his greed over the good of the franchise. Include Bahktiari in the mix and those two contracts are show stoppers. The salary cap hell will put the team in the same type of straight jacket as the John Hadl trade did in the early 70's. How's that for a Monday morning wake up call?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Failing to acquire O line and WR help in the 2020 draft will go down as one of the key reasons for the franchise's long-term demise. It will cost Gute his job after Murphy retires. What are Jordan Love, Dillon. and Deguera doing to help this offense? Not much is the answer.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, I agree with sunshine that Gutekunst is responsible for a lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball.

Gute is the main culprit in this mess. He drafted these players. He has final say over personnel.

MLF doesn't seem to figure out a way to scheme receivers open

I'm beginning to question what actual skills MLF brings to the table. Is he a CEO HC? A OC that's HC? He's currently failing at both.

Rodgers misses too many throws for a two time defending MVP.

Bad thumb. Bad O-Line. Bad WR play. An equation for misery.

On the other hand the defense has enough talent but isn't able to perform up to expectations. In my opinion that is on the coaching staff.

Talent without discipline and execution will always remain inconsistent.

Joe Barry has to go!!!

Find a coach the players will respect and play hard for.

Also, let's stop hiring coaches based on media perception, nepotism, and whether management feels "its a good fit".

It would be a nice to have a coach on staff as DC that actually played the game, oh wait...

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best case scenario an NFC team sneaks into the playoffs with a 10-7 record. Packers currently sit at 3-4, so they'd need to win 7 of their last 9 games to be that "sneak into the playoffs" team. GB can only lose 3 more games... which 3 games are they allowed to lose?
Buffalo, Detroit, Dallas, Tennessee, Philadelphia, Chicago, (Bye week), LA Rams, Miami, Minnesota and Detroit.

I'd put the odds at less than 5% that they only lose 3 more. Pretty daunting schedule coming up and still no answers to the myriad of problems. Mid-season prediction: 7-10 only if the wheels haven't completely fallen off, already.

Reaction score
Best case scenario an NFC team sneaks into the playoffs with a 10-7 record. Packers currently sit at 3-4, so they'd need to win 7 of their last 9 games to be that "sneak into the playoffs" team. GB can only lose 3 more games... which 3 games are they allowed to lose?
Buffalo, Detroit, Dallas, Tennessee, Philadelphia, Chicago, (Bye week), LA Rams, Miami, Minnesota and Detroit.

I'd put the odds at less than 5% that they only lose 3 more. Pretty daunting schedule coming up and still no answers to the myriad of problems. Mid-season prediction: 7-10 only if the wheels haven't completely fallen off, already.
Yeah. We’re 7 games in. The best case is we go 7-3 down the stretch. Unfortunately we play some really stellar Defenses. Eagles, Dallas and Bills are all really stingy. Imo, we’d have to win 2 of the next 3 to stay alive at 5-5.
A Loss yesterday was super bad from a playoff probability perspective. I’m just going to resolve to accept 3-5 and then we need to Win 2 to stay alive at 5-5

We can possibly beat the Lions and luckily we get Dallas at home. Imo we need to win 2 of the next 3 to stay relevant at 5-5.

Our schedule really isn’t that daunting. But we have to get to 5-5 or 6-6 to give us life.

That means going 3-2 in our toughest stretch, which would mean we need a talent injection at WR now. Might as well try to get Claypool if at all reasonable before Nov 1. Either that or we can write 2022 in the history books.
@Buffalo
@Lions
Cowboys at home
Titans at home
@Eagles

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Sure, but we've played many games with McCarthy and MLF where we do the majority of our scoring in the 1st half and hang on in the 2nd.

It's interesting to note that the Packers ranked fourth in points scored in the first half over the first three years of MLF's tenure as head coach but only 14th in the second.

There isn't a team with a worse long-term outlook in the league than the Packers. Rodgers salary cap destroying contract will keep the team uncompetitive for years. He could've signed a team friendly deal but the opposite occurred because he put his greed over the good of the franchise. Include Bahktiari in the mix and those two contracts are show stoppers. The salary cap hell will put the team in the same type of straight jacket as the John Hadl trade did in the early 70's. How's that for a Monday morning wake up call?

It's still mind-boggling to me how many fans expected Rodgers to sign a team friendly contract. Why on earth should he have done that and how many other players around the league are actually doing that? Please don't come up with the myth that Brady has taken significantly less than he could have earned.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
It's still mind-boggling to me how many fans expected Rodgers to sign a team friendly contract. Why on earth should he have done that and how many other players around the league are actually doing that? Please don't come up with the myth that Brady has taken significantly less than he could have earned.
This is a point that I too have had to make several times and I'm not talking just on this message board. The best players make the most money. That is the way it works and the way it should work. In every single corporation they are going to pay more important employees more. Every employee tries to get raises and make the most money they can. To not do that seems completely foreign to me.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is a point that I too have had to make several times and I'm not talking just on this message board. The best players make the most money. That is the way it works and the way it should work. In every single corporation they are going to pay more important employees more. Every employee tries to get raises and make the most money they can. To not do that seems completely foreign to me.

This. It's the job of the player to maximize his earnings and it's the job of management to assemble the best possible team in spite of that.

Look at Aaron Rodgers' cap hit for this year and the next few. ~29m in 2022, ~32m in 2023, and ~41m in 2024.
Now compare that to Patrick Mahomes: 36m, 47m, 44m. Rodgers' contract currently represents ~13% of our cap for this season; Mahomes' is ~17%.

Does anyone really believe that the Chiefs currently have a worse short-term outlook than we do? Would anyone argue that we are better-positioned for the long-term than they are?

I mean shoot... Kirk Cousins has a higher cap hit than Rodgers this year (31m) and next year (36m) and represents a bigger percentage of his team's cap and I don't think it would be absurd to suggest that the Vikings are in as good or better a position than we are right now...

So I mean sure. If Rodgers played for the vet minimum or considerably less than he's earning then we'd have a bit more space to work with and be able to surround him with better pieces. But let's not pretend it's absolutely impossible to pay your QB as much as we're paying Rodgers while putting a complete and competitive team around him. And if you're looking at "problem contracts" for the Packers I'm not really convinced Rodgers' contract is even the biggest offender...

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts