Redskins Game day thread

Reaction score
I believe are Offense has shown signs of potentially playing at a high level this year. I think if we can keep Starks healthy and we can get Cook into his groove our Offense might start clicking at the tune of 28-30 points average.
My biggest concern is our pass D is atrocious. I'm not sure we have the personnel to fix this anytime soon nor keep decent teams under 28.
I know the trade deadline is past but we should have made a move at CB in hindsite. Now, Getting CM3 and D Randall back is imperative

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not feeling confident..... I will watch nor surprised if we lose.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Our success depends if there is a Golden Corral near by Fedex Field. If there is None we have a good shot at winning as MM has no where to go to get his Buffet. If there is one well....
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dr Venkman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being 4-5 and 1 game out of first place and not far out from a wildcard birth, yet people are declaring this season as being over and wanting to lose out shows how spoiled we have become. I mean, I get it that it has been frustrating but season over? No. There are 7 games left.

I kind of agree with this. I'm getting increasingly frustrated with MM, but we've got to hope for more wins this season. Anything to get us into the post-season while AR is still our QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm an optimistic kind of guy and always think the Packers are going to win, no matter what. However, I am guessing that the current Packer team is not viewed by other teams/fans/media as the opposing force that they once were. Even the game time announcers spend half their broadcast trying to figure out what has gone wrong with GB. So while most of us want to stay optimistic, its pretty easy to see why many Packer fans have all but given up on a ship that has been slowly and steadily sinking for a pretty long time and the life rafts are starting to hit the water.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't understand fans hoping for the Packers to lose so it might result in changes. While I doubt the current coaching staff being capable of turning it around I for sure root for them to make it happen.
I share that hope, but with 3 "burn the tape" games in the first half of the season my optimism if fading fast.

Other than the Cowboys, who are looking suspiciously like some of the earlier Belichick NE teams, I don't see a lot of compelling competition in the conference, which makes this season's "burn the tape" flops all that more disappointing.

When I turn the TV on (or watch the replay tape) for 3 1/2 hours, the first thing I want to see is a well-played, competitive football game. Frankly, I'd rather watch a game like SEA vs. NE this past week than a badly played Packer effort where they happen to pull out a win.

I would never hope for the Packers to lose; if they win while playing sh*tty quite frankly I find it a lot less satisfying than watching a well-played competitive game where the Packers are not involved.

We can blame the injuries to some extent. While it's true that everybody has them to one degree or another, it presents a particular problem with draft-and-develop teams. With d-and-d, if you have to go deep into the bench you may find a guy with upside who is just not ready vs. a team with, say, 3 year guys who have hit their moderate upside but can be serviceable if called upon.

D-and-d means you give guys a lot of rope, that is time to translate the potential you saw when you drafted them. But while you wait, and in some cases wait too long, you do so at the expense of a serviceable bench.

McCarthy talks about the "second year jump". Ryan, for example, is showing that, and there were indications at the end of last season that the jump should be expected. Sometimes there are mitigating circumstances, such as Adams being among the walking wounded all of year 2, then the rope needs to be extended to year 3.

But when you have to dig deep for a 3 year player who has been relatively healthy throughout and who showed nothing through 2 years like Goodson, with a PED suspension to boot, and whose sole utility is on special teams, you'll end up seeing the downside of draft and develop. Richard Rodgers is another example. At the end of last season we were looking at the same player we saw early in his first season. He topped out early. He's not even a #2 NFL TE. But they stuck with their draft choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I believe are Offense has shown signs of potentially playing at a high level this year. I think if we can keep Starks healthy and we can get Cook into his groove our Offense might start clicking at the tune of 28-30 points average.
My biggest concern is our pass D is atrocious. I'm not sure we have the personnel to fix this anytime soon nor keep decent teams under 28.
I know the trade deadline is past but we should have made a move at CB in hindsite. Now, Getting CM3 and D Randall back is imperative
What they need to do is stick to the ball control passing game they played for 2 1/2 games starting with the second half of the Dallas game. Rodgers (and McCarthty) are certainly capable of playing a Brees-like, highly efficient ball control passing game. They have the receivers to do it. Churn the first downs, burn the clock, keep the D off the field.

There's an unrecognized downside to all this deep throwing and play extending. I have never, ever heard an analyst comment on this, but it gasses the receivers. If you do this stuff multiple times in a series, you should not be surprised if the receivers are not working hard to the open spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's an unrecognized downside to all this deep throwing and play extending. I have never, ever heard an analyst comment on this, but it gasses the receivers. If you do this stuff multiple times in a series, you should not be surprised if the receivers are not working hard to the open spot.

This has crossed my mind as well. Solution, put Allison, Davis and Janis in on first down, run em all deep, gas a few guys in their secondary, throw short to a RB or TE. On second down, bring Jordy, Cobb and Adams back in and go right after those players in the secondary that are huffing and puffing.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I share that hope, but with 3 "burn the tape" games in the first half of the season my optimism if fading fast.

Other than the Cowboys, who are looking suspiciously like some of the earlier Belichick NE teams, I don't see a lot of compelling competition in the conference, which makes this season's "burn the tape" flops all that more disappointing.

When I turn the TV on (or watch the replay tape) for 3 1/2 hours, the first thing I want to see is a well-played, competitive football game. Frankly, I'd rather watch a game like SEA vs. NE this past week than a badly played Packer effort where they happen to pull out a win.

I would never hope for the Packers to lose; if they win while playing sh*tty quite frankly I find it a lot less satisfying than watching a well-played competitive game where the Packers are not involved.

We can blame the injuries to some extent. While it's true that everybody has them to one degree or another, it presents a particular problem with draft-and-develop teams. With d-and-d, if you have to go deep into the bench you may find a guy with upside who is just not ready vs. a team with, say, 3 year guys who have hit their moderate upside but can be serviceable if called upon.

D-and-d means you give guys a lot of rope, that is time to translate the potential you saw when you drafted them. But while you wait, and in some cases wait too long, you do so at the expense of a serviceable bench.

McCarthy talks about the "second year jump". Ryan, for example, is showing that, and there were indications at the end of last season that the jump should be expected. Sometimes there are mitigating circumstances, such as Adams being among the walking wounded all of year 2, then the rope needs to be extended to year 3.

But when you have to dig deep for a 3 player who has been relatively healthy throughtout and who showed nothing through 2 years like Goodson, with a PED suspension to boot, and whose sole utility is on special teams, you'll end up seeing the downside of draft and develop. Richard Rodgers is another example. At the end of last season we were looking at the same player we saw early in his first season. He topped out early. He's not even a #2 NFL TE. But they stuck with their draft choice.

Outstanding points. Well done.

H

HardRightEdge

This has crossed my mind as well. Solution, put Allison, Davis and Janis in on first down, run em all deep, gas a few guys in their secondary, throw short to a RB or TE. On second down, bring Jordy, Cobb and Adams back in and go right after those players in the secondary that are huffing and puffing.
I like it. The hockey rotating line concept! It could be revolutionary! ;)

There's an alternative...stop banging your head against the wall with what doesn't work and use instead what has.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a way I wouldn't be surprised if we did win this game. The Redskins are the kind of team that will put up WTF games here and there against teams they should beat, and these are unpredictable times in the NFL. But at the same time it's going to take more than that to gin up any level of confidence for this team going forward. Win this game ... and there certainly could be a shot at climbing back into the race, though I'm thinking the Vikings temporarily stop the skid this Sunday against a bad Cardinals team. Lions got the Jags which looks pretty favorable for them being at home and all, so likely we're still looking at being a game back by the end of this. We fall 2 games back though, that's tough ground to make up in a season like this, especially when we still have to go to Ford Field before this thing is over.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand fans hoping for the Packers to lose so it might result in changes. While I doubt the current coaching staff being capable of turning it around I for sure root for them to make it happen.

I personally will not ever root for the Packers to lose because I think it's stupid and not in my DNA. But in this case I think I do understand why. I think in a season like this where it seems our team isn't mentally ready go up and beat the good teams (Dallas for example and then last Sunday's game), the prevailing thought is that making the playoffs in what looks to be an NFC North headed for the bad division turnstyle this year, isn't going to fix the team's problems. In a sense yes they're right, I certainly wouldn't be thumping my chest on making the playoffs if it means the team is going to be 1 and done in the wildcard. And perhaps they feel that even though that kind of result should mean significant changes, the thought around here is that making the playoffs even if 1 and done is just going to result in keeping the status quo.

I think there's plenty of reason to say this team needs a breath of fresh air, and that could mean a coaching change or possibly even a GM change. But I think I'd rather have at least part of what MM and TT have built remain intact here vs doing a complete rebuild from the ground up which is more likely to happen should the Packers completely tank the rest of the way.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
In a way I wouldn't be surprised if we did win this game. The Redskins are the kind of team that will put up WTF games here and there against teams they should beat, and these are unpredictable times in the NFL. But at the same time it's going to take more than that to gin up any level of confidence for this team going forward. Win this game ... and there certainly could be a shot at climbing back into the race, though I'm thinking the Vikings temporarily stop the skid this Sunday against a bad Cardinals team. Lions got the Jags which looks pretty favorable for them being at home and all, so likely we're still looking at being a game back by the end of this. We fall 2 games back though, that's tough ground to make up in a season like this, especially when we still have to go to Ford Field before this thing is over.
I got the Vikings losing to the Cards Sunday.

Reaction score
I like it. The hockey rotating line concept! It could be revolutionary! ;)

There's an alternative...stop banging your head against the wall with what doesn't work and use instead what has.
Ah yes. The old Dr Phil concept "people do what works" it's actually so simple we don't see it, but rather have ignored what made us successful in past years.
One that sticks out to me is we have replaced the short 5 yard dump passes to the RBs (even when we had Lacy) and replaced it with a screen thrown to a lone receiver with 0-1 blockers 4 yards behind the LOS.we have averaged about -1 yard per try but I've seen this play used at least 1-3 times every game this year! I'm not sure why if it hasn't been successful in the last 15 attempts we continue to use this.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess I can take the losses if they at least look respectable, interested and playing hard!

DS

I think that is what is so frustrating for me, if the Packers play hard, respectable and interested, they probably can win most games. Of course, might have to toss in "up to their capabilities".

D

Deleted member 6794

Any word on Clay and Cook?

Cook was a full participant in today's practice while Matthews was limited.

I agree that my optimism is fading fast as well but as long as there's a chance to make the playoffs I will root for the Packers to win every game.

I personally will not ever root for the Packers to lose because I think it's stupid and not in my DNA. But in this case I think I do understand why. I think in a season like this where it seems our team isn't mentally ready go up and beat the good teams (Dallas for example and then last Sunday's game), the prevailing thought is that making the playoffs in what looks to be an NFC North headed for the bad division turnstyle this year, isn't going to fix the team's problems. In a sense yes they're right, I certainly wouldn't be thumping my chest on making the playoffs if it means the team is going to be 1 and done in the wildcard. And perhaps they feel that even though that kind of result should mean significant changes, the thought around here is that making the playoffs even if 1 and done is just going to result in keeping the status quo.

I think there's plenty of reason to say this team needs a breath of fresh air, and that could mean a coaching change or possibly even a GM change. But I think I'd rather have at least part of what MM and TT have built remain intact here vs doing a complete rebuild from the ground up which is more likely to happen should the Packers completely tank the rest of the way.

While it for sure doesn't look like being possible right now there's a chance the Packers get hot late in the season. If they make it to the playoffs that might result in a successful postseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

T.J. Lang, Ty Montgomery, Damarious Randall, Jake Ryan and JC Tretter didn't practice today. David Bakhtiari, Randall Cobb, Micah Hyde, Clay Matthews and Quinten Rollins were limited participants.