Reasons For Packer Nation To Smile

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With most of the Badger state in the grip of a polar vortex, I thought we could all use a little virtual sunshine, and so here it is.

The Pack may have had a miserable 2018-19 campaign, but in the first two weeks of the season, they had a hand in the demise of two divisional rivals. In week one, the Chicago Bears had a twenty point lead over Green Bay in the second half and appeared to be cruising to an easy win. In the fourth quarter the mighty Bear defense collapsed, and Aaron Rodgers threw three TD passes to complete the unlikely comeback. The loss cost the Bears - Instead of finishing the season 13-3, they finished 12-4, a full game behind the LA Rams. If Chicago would have finished even with the Rams, they would have enjoyed a bye on Wild Card Weekend, having beaten LA head-to-head and thus owning the tie-breaker. Instead, Cody Parkey double-doinked his team to a painful elimination in round one, the Rams are on their way to the Super Bowl.

Speaking of missed field goals, remember the name Daniel Carlson? Week 2 of the regular season saw the Packers and Vikings played to an unsatisfying tie, a game Green Bay could have won if not for a questionable call against Clay Matthews late. In OT, it seemed the Vikings were about to seal the victory with a chip-shot field goal on the game's final play, but instead Carlson shanked it and kicked himself right out of Minnesota. Getting the tie instead of the win would eventually mean the Vikings would finish one-half game behind the Philadelphia Eagles for the final playoff spot. The Vikings had defeated the Eagles earlier in the season, and thus owned the tie-breaker......but the tie with Green Bay kept the Vikings out of the playoffs for 2018-19.

Of course, the Pack could not have accomplished wrecking these two teams season without their cooperation, so, thank you, Bears and Vikings. Credit where credit is due.

If you need more reasons to smile, consider:

As NFL free agency approaches, according to "Over The Cap", the Packers have more cap space than any other team in the division. Not easy to do when you have the League's highest paid player on your roster. FYI, the Vikings have by far the least:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Also note that unless something changes between now and April 25th, the Packers are scheduled to make three picks in the NFL draft before the Bears make their first.

So, awful season that it was, it ain't all bad......Enjoy your day.

Last edited:

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how is it that some teams can have so much cap space, looking specifically at the colts and the jets. is it just a case that they have mostly a roster that is going to FA and maybe only have 10-15 players on the books for next season?

also hat are the penalties for going over the cap?

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how is it that some teams can have so much cap space, looking specifically at the colts and the jets. is it just a case that they have mostly a roster that is going to FA and maybe only have 10-15 players on the books for next season?

also hat are the penalties for going over the cap?

The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times, and the salary floor is also a hard floor. Penalties for violating or circumventing the cap regulations include fines of up to $5 million for each violation, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think the Bears are going to be another Jacksonville. Jax defense 2 years ago hid an incredibly low ceiling QB for a season with great RB play. I think Mitch is slightly better than Bortles in terms of his legs, but his arm is not much better. (if you haven't seen Mitch at the pro-bowl, it was pathetic. Mike Evans is a 6'5" WR that jumps like an NBA player and made Mike look awful) So I really would not be shocked to see the Bears go 6-10 next year because the defense will be exhausted from being on the field so much because Mitch won't be able to sustain drives. On top of that, playing the first place schedule.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times, and the salary floor is also a hard floor. Penalties for violating or circumventing the cap regulations include fines of up to $5 million for each violation, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

cheers, forgot about wiki

but what about the cap space that the colts have? surely they haven't reached the lower ceiling with that

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
And the Vikings have another two years with Kirk Cousins as their starting QB. They're fools gold. And if the Bears regress even a little bit on defense, which many top defenses tend to do from one year to the next, that could be a 3-4 game swing in their win total as well.

The Packers with rejuvenated Rodgers, refreshing offensive style change, continuity on defense with Pettine, plenty of draft capital, and a considerable amount of cap space, are looking mighty pretty as the 2019 season approaches.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also note that unless something changes between now and April 25th, the Packers are scheduled to make three picks in the NFL draft before the Bears make their first...
Great optimistic thread! One correction... the Packers have FOUR picks before the Bears pick. GB has: #12, #30, #44 & #76; Bears pick #87.

Reaction score
With most of the Badger state in the grip of a polar vortex, I thought we could all use a little virtual sunshine, and so here it is.

The Pack may have had a miserable 2018-19 campaign, but in the first two weeks of the season, they had a hand in the demise of two divisional rivals. In week one, the Chicago Bears had a twenty point lead over Green Bay in the second half and appeared to be cruising to an easy win. In the fourth quarter the mighty Bear defense collapsed, and Aaron Rodgers threw three TD passes to complete the unlikely comeback. The loss cost the Bears - Instead of finishing the season 13-3, they finished 12-4, a full game behind the LA Rams. If Chicago would have finished even with the Rams, they would have enjoyed a bye on Wild Card Weekend, having beaten LA head-to-head and thus owning the tie-breaker. Instead, Cody Parkey double-doinked his team to a painful elimination in round one, the Rams are on their way to the Super Bowl.

Speaking of missed field goals, remember the name Daniel Carlson? Week 2 of the regular season saw the Packers and Vikings played to an unsatisfying tie, a game Green Bay could have won if not for a questionable call against Clay Matthews late. In OT, it seemed the Vikings were about to seal the victory with a chip-shot field goal on the game's final play, but instead Carlson shanked it and kicked himself right out of Minnesota. Getting the tie instead of the win would eventually mean the Vikings would finish one-half game behind the Philadelphia Eagles for the final playoff spot. The Vikings had defeated the Eagles earlier in the season, and thus owned the tie-breaker......but the tie with Green Bay kept the Vikings out of the playoffs for 2018-19.

Of course, the Pack could not have accomplished wrecking these two teams season without their cooperation, so, thank you, Bears and Vikings. Credit where credit is due.

If you need more reasons to smile, consider:

As NFL free agency approaches, according to "Over The Cap", the Packers have more cap space than any other team in the division. Not easy to do when you have the League's highest paid player on your roster. FYI, the Vikings have by far the least:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Also note that unless something changes between now and April 25th, the Packers are scheduled to make three picks in the NFL draft before the Bears make their first.

So, awful season that it was, it ain't all bad......Enjoy your day.

Great read. thanks.

Oh about that "in the grip of a polar vortex" thing.
What is that?
I live in Florida now, but for Florida weather it's been cool but sunny and warming up in the 60's if that makes you feel better...…..LOL
Even the Super Bowl in Atlanta will have snow and ice.

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great read. thanks.

Oh about that "in the grip of a polar vortex" thing.
What is that?
I live in Florida now, but for Florida weather it's been cool but sunny and warming up in the 60's if that makes you feel better...…..LOL
Even the Super Bowl in Atlanta will have snow and ice.

Two weeks ago I was on Oahu - I came back to this.

Oh well - It's just part of life in Wisconsin.....:)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I was on Oahu - I came back to this.

Oh well - It's just part of life in Wisconsin.....:)
agreed... I just got notice that my kids won’t be going to school tomorrow or a Thursday .... because it’s cold outside?? While i’m sure they are ecstatic... I don’t even think it’s all that cold. The real temps aren’t even predicted to be below -9 F... cold yes... but not unheard of here in Wausau WI... I think we’ve all gone soft lol.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed... I just got notice that my kids won’t be going to school tomorrow or a Thursday .... because it’s cold outside?? While i’m sure they are ecstatic... I don’t even think it’s all that cold. The real temps aren’t even predicted to be below -9 F... cold yes... but not unheard of here in Wausau WI... I think we’ve all gone soft lol.

I remember having snow days as a kid but not cold days. We probably did and we just called them snow days.

I do know I am not looking forward to going to work tomorrow. At least the rain we are supposed to get this weekend will clean the roads off a little.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember having snow days as a kid but not cold days. We probably did and we just called them snow days.
I'm in northern IL and my company closed tomorrow... high of -15 expected with windchill to be near -50. Thursday's projected to be even colder but work is back on... -26 at 5AM when I leave, that oughta be fun.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in Milwaukee, now live half in Minneapolis and half near the Minnesota/Canadian border and love the cold. The colder the better in my book! I see that Milwaukee's cold record is a tie between 1996 and 1982, both at -26 degrees. I was definitely still in school for the 1982 cold snap. We never got a cold day off. I remember that in 1996, the governor of Minnesota closed the entire state (except for the UofM because he didn't have the authority) when it was -33 with a -66 windchill. I remember how often my eyelashes froze together - kinda annoying.

Cold is just an excuse in my opinion. Yes kids can survive cold, although windchill is another thing at the extremes!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up in Milwaukee, now live half in Minneapolis and half near the Minnesota/Canadian border and love the cold. The colder the better in my book! I see that Milwaukee's cold record is a tie between 1996 and 1982, both at -26 degrees. I was definitely still in school for the 1982 cold snap. We never got a cold day off. I remember that in 1996, the governor of Minnesota closed the entire state (except for the UofM because he didn't have the authority) when it was -33 with a -66 windchill. I remember how often my eyelashes froze together - kinda annoying.

Cold is just an excuse in my opinion. Yes kids can survive cold, although windchill is another thing at the extremes!

Which half lives in Minneapolis and which half lives on the border? Top/Bottom, Left Right? we want to know.:D

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Which half lives in Minneapolis and which half lives on the border? Top/Bottom, Left Right? we want to know.:D
He lives near the border, keeping watch for fureners sneaking across. His better half enjoys the wild single city life on his dime because she isn't crazy. :ninja:

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha, where i live in Scotland it's been round about -3C at coldest this winter, and we had a wee flurry of snow. yet still people can't fecking drive in it, and i get funny looks for walking about in just a t-shirt

OP
OP
Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha, where i live in Scotland it's been round about -3C at coldest this winter, and we had a wee flurry of snow. yet still people can't fecking drive in it, and i get funny looks for walking about in just a t-shirt

-3 Celsius (which is almost 27 Fahrenheit) sounds pretty good right about now. We're currently at -22 F (or -30 C), without the considerable wind chill......I'm guessing that's not t-shirt weather even for a hearty Scotsman.....:p

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-3 Celsius (which is almost 27 Fahrenheit) sounds pretty good right about now. We're currently at -22 F (or -30 C), without the considerable wind chill......I'm guessing that's not t-shirt weather even for a hearty Scotsman.....:p
hmmm might have to put a vest on under my t-shirt then.

seriously though, we used to get a decent amount of snow when i was young, but not so much now. but we should still be used to it, some people are just a bunch o fannies(idiots/cretins/ or general **** types)

Latest posts