Projecting the Offense

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard is purely doing what he is supposed to do - that isn't going to catch the headlines as much. You never heard much of what Adams did at camp either as it is expected almost...not putting Lazard up there, but Rodgers/MLF/Gute and many others have said Lazard is the guy to take the reigns.
I guess that's right. A lot of us are paying more attention to camp because of the wide open nature of the WR group. And if Gluten/MLF/Rodgers expect Lazard to be #1, or at least the #1 target, that should show up in the stats once the season starts.

I hope Lazard does put up 1,000 yards and that one of these new guys steps up behind him. While it looks like that's Doubs now, a lot can happen in the next month and after the season starts. I am gonna keep an eye on Winfree's progress just because it's such a surprise. Maybe it shouldn't be and the guy was just waiting for his chance.

Reaction score
Honestly Winfree, Doubs and Toure have all excelled at their chances time and time again...Amari has had very few hiccups as well and everyone keeps raving about how much swfiter he is cut down weight wise.....it makes sense all these guys are HUNGRY knowing the chance they have with no clear #1 receiver...shoot Tonyan even mentioned how hungry he is to get back out there knowing there is a need in the house for receiving yards.
Opportunity” is the word on Offense for the 2022 season. The sky is the limit with the departure of the pair of Adams/MVS. There’s an enormous void of targets to be filled.

I’m not sure if it was just an ultra deep talented WR class? Or we happened to just stick it, but Doubs and Toure look like slight steals there in Rd4, R7. This far, Doubs looks more like a 2nd year, Round 2 type just waltzing through the building.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Opportunity” is the word on Offense for the 2022 season. The sky is the limit with the departure of the pair of Adams/MVS. There’s an enormous void of targets to be filled.

I’m not sure if it was just an ultra deep talented WR class? Or we happened to just stick it, but Doubs and Toure look like slight steals there in Rd4, R7. This far, Doubs looks more like a 2nd year, Round 2 type just waltzing through the building.
I haven't seen any practices but it sure sounds like Doubs is tearing it up. I'll certainly be watching for him in the PS.

I don't know anything about Toure. Winfree is a huge surprise for me. Maybe all he needed was an opportunity, as you say.

My guess is that the most anxious guy at 1265 these days is Watson. Sports can be brutal if you have to sit out. There are always guys ready to take your job. And he'll have ground to make up, especially versus the other rookie receivers.

Reaction score
I haven't seen any practices but it sure sounds like Doubs is tearing it up. I'll certainly be watching for him in the PS.

I don't know anything about Toure. Winfree is a huge surprise for me. Maybe all he needed was an opportunity, as you say.

My guess is that the most anxious guy at 1265 these days is Watson. Sports can be brutal if you have to sit out. There are always guys ready to take your job. And he'll have ground to make up, especially versus the other rookie receivers.
Yes. Often , what’s seen initially as a setback, is the perfect setup for a breakthrough. In the meantime these other Receivers are seeing more action than a typical year, which will only help their growth and confidence.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Often , what’s seen initially as a setback, is the perfect setup for a breakthrough. In the meantime these other Receivers are seeing more action than a typical year, which will only help their growth and confidence.
And that's why I've been optimistic about the WRs. Not overwhelmingly - but in a "glass half full" way of looking at it. I understand why some people would look at it with more doubt than optimism. That's fine. I'm just not built that way and prefer to think the best will happen. And of course, the Packers have broken my heart more times than I can count........ Oh well, it's just a game from my viewpoint.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe. but the guy who should be nervous is watkins. i've been reading that he looks out of shape and has been outplayed by winfree. might be an early surprise cut.

A few on here feel Watkins is a lock, but I tend to agree with Demovsky... He's gotta perform to make this team. Contrary to what you've heard, I listened to a segment from some talking heads who spoke with his trainer and he said Sammy was in the best shape he's been in for quite some time. I guess we'll see Friday.

D

Deleted member 6794

19th in RZ opportunities last year. Ugh. Not very good.

The Packers were the best red zone team in the league in 2020 but significantly regressed last year. They will need to improve in that area for the offense to be successful.

Interesting point I didn't consider until now. With the alpha dog Adams gone, and long threat MVS gone, The WR room is wide open. And all the names are rookies or former PS guys - Doubs, Winfree, Toure, Rodgers. In the past, with Adams, MVS and Lazard all well ahead of them, they wouldn't have gotten the attention they're getting now in camp. Some will make the most of it. A good thing.

I fully expect Lazard, Watkins and Cobb to be ahead of the rookie receivers entering the season as well. It's true they have a better chance to contribute early than in past seasons though.

maybe. but the guy who should be nervous is watkins. i've been reading that he looks out of shape and has been outplayed by winfree. might be an early surprise cut.

I haven't read anything about Watkins being out of shape. Do you have a link providing some information about it?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were the best red zone team in the league in 2020 but significantly regressed last year. They will need to improve in that area for the offense to be successful.

I fully expect Lazard, Watkins and Cobb to be ahead of the rookie receivers entering the season as well. It's true they have a better chance to contribute early than in past seasons though.

I haven't read anything about Watkins being out of shape. Do you have a link providing some information about it?
It's important, and mostly for me, to not get too optimistic based on TC and PS games. I'm glad to hear how well Doubs is doing in camp, and it sounds like Winfree is making good progress. And I'll stay optimistic but temper expectations heading into the regular season. So I also expect the 1-3 WRs coming out of the PS will be a mix of Lazard, Cobb, and Watkins. They will all have to up their game from prior years.

By mid-season, I expect one of the rookies will start seeing meaningful snaps.

Reaction score
A few on here feel Watkins is a lock, but I tend to agree with Demovsky... He's gotta perform to make this team. Contrary to what you've heard, I listened to a segment from some talking heads who spoke with his trainer and he said Sammy was in the best shape he's been in for quite some time. I guess we'll see Friday.

I agree. Several months ago, Sammy was also reported as commenting he wanted to be in college Sammy condition. His trainer said this around the time (April 27) that Watkins was working out with Gabriel Davis in Florida. This was a quote from Wisportsheroics.com when speaking to his Trainor.

“That guy is going to be good for the Packers. He started working with us like 7 weeks ago and he said he wanted to be ‘college Sammy’. Sammy is going to have a big year. He told me ‘I want to be Clemson Sammy Watkins’ and I was like “OK, let’s do it”. He’s up there squatting 405lbs for eight right now like it’s nothing. He started around 218lbs. and he’s at 225lb now, too. He’s going to be a No.1 in Green Bay.”

So the increase weight should’ve had me wondering about speed loss. I’m Sammy wanting to be more durable was there a possible trade off in speed for durability? We will likely find out this Preseason. From my own personal experience. The best speed gains I ever made in HS track was between seasons when I spent all Summer with my good friend Raj (we were ebony n ivory and he eventually surpassed my 400 times and bumped me off the relays my Senior year!) and that was 100% our off-season weight training. Adding muscle early and then transitioning to speed drills (knee pops, the bands training, jump rope racing each other) to train and refine that quick twitch muscle is numero uno in getting faster.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@Dantés I’ll be upfront I’ve copied you as a template to save time. I like the approach, but I need to put in a guess now as time negates then need for our guesswork.

Passing:

-A. Rodgers:
362/549 66% 4111 36TD 8INT
-J. Love: 15/24 174 yards 65%
1TD

Rushing:

-A. Dillon:
191 carries, 936 yards, 4.9 YPC, 7TD
-A. Jones: 180 carries, 820 yards, 4.6 YPC, 6TD
-A. Rodgers: 29 carries, 104 yards, 3.6 YPC, 2TD
-Others: 76 carries 303 yards, 2TD

Receiving:

-S. Watkins:
61 receptions, 809 yards, 14.1 YPR, 6TD
-A. Lazard: 53 receptions, 686 yards, 12.9 YPR, 8TD
-R. Cobb: 39 rec, 503 yards,
12.9 YPR, 5TD
-A. Jones: 51 receptions, 404 yards, 7.9 YPR, 4TD
R. Tonyan: 32 rec, 390 yards,
12.2 YPR, 3TD
-C. Watson: 24 rec, 362 yards,
15.1 YPR, 2TD
-A. Dillon: 41 receptions, 348 yards, 8.5 YPR, 3TD
-J. Deguara: 29 receptions, 310 yards, 10.5 YPR, 2TD
-R. Doubs: 14 receptions, 225 yards, 16.1 YPR, 1TD
-M. Lewis: 21 rec, 184 yards,
8.8 YPR, 2TD
-T. Davis: 7 rec, 64 yards,
9.2 YPR, 1TD

Last edited:

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Contrary to what you've heard, I listened to a segment from some talking heads who spoke with his trainer and he said Sammy was in the best shape he's been in for quite some time.
well, packers finally posted a video of sammy from today's practice. i have to agree that he doesn't appear to be out of shape.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

but i still think he's going to have to perform better than he has been to make the team. i read a lot of the twitter posts from the media guys during practice, and sammy is rarely mentioned.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sammy probably does not have to prove anything. I'm pretty sure I saw him make a nice sideline grab in Family Night. His lower body looks pretty big in the video. Probably a good thing.

Reaction score
Y
well, packers finally posted a video of sammy from today's practice. i have to agree that he doesn't appear to be out of shape.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

but i still think he's going to have to perform better than he has been to make the team. i read a lot of the twitter posts from the media guys during practice, and sammy is rarely mentioned.
True. I think a big part of him not being mentioned was twofold. He’s a 9 year veteran and presumed starter and he had tweaked a muscle and we somewhat held him back recently, all along knowing he’s very likely going to be WR1, WR2 or WR3 when all is said and done.
I would absolutely shocked if Sammy Watkins didn’t make the 53. It would be like you telling me Doub’s missed the cut. We’d be cutting one of only 3 veterans that have established themselves as viable day 1 starter capable.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, the Packers biggest worry isn't the receiving corp, its the o line. Without Jenkins and Bahktiari, its the most inexperienced group in the league. Guys are shuffling around from one position to another. It could take until mid-season for the unit to settle down and gel. The receivers may not have the opportunity to get much action if Rodgers or Love are running for their lives or spend much of the time on their back. Letting Turner and Patrick go counted on Bahktiari to get back on the field. That turned out to be misguided and now they have a mess on their hands.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's important, and mostly for me, to not get too optimistic based on TC and PS games.

In my opinion that's a good approach. While it's interesting to hear about which players are making an impact during practice there's no reason to put too much stock into it.

The Packers are fully aware that Watkins is most likely the most talented receiver on the roster. He doesn't need to make any splash plays to end up on the roster.

Letting Turner and Patrick go counted on Bahktiari to get back on the field. That turned out to be misguided and now they have a mess on their hands.

I don't think the Packers offensive line would be in much better shape if they held on to both Patrick and Turner.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is the current back up center? Is anybody practicing today a better RT than Turner? I doubt Tom or Newman are better. Turner was better than average at RT and Patrick held his own as the back up center. The current o line is a mess until the Packers can figure out how to get healthier.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OFF Coordinator is very good to xlnt on the O line. So I am guessing our new OL coach will also be good. The coaching here is key. Along with talent. imho

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OFF Coordinator is very good to xlnt on the O line. So I am guessing our new OL coach will also be good. The coaching here is key. Along with talent. imho
O line coaching has been an under-emphasized strength for the Packers. The O line at times looks like a game of musical chairs, but they get the job done. Game planning by MLF plays a part, as does having Rodgers at QB. I've never been worried about the O line, and if they get Bakh in action, and when Jenkins returns, they'll be that much better.

Reaction score
Right now, the Packers biggest worry isn't the receiving corp, its the o line. Without Jenkins and Bahktiari, its the most inexperienced group in the league. Guys are shuffling around from one position to another. It could take until mid-season for the unit to settle down and gel. The receivers may not have the opportunity to get much action if Rodgers or Love are running for their lives or spend much of the time on their back. Letting Turner and Patrick go counted on Bahktiari to get back on the field. That turned out to be misguided and now they have a mess on their hands.
I agree on the first part and this has been a shaky season at OL.
I do think there is a significant chance we have 1 of the 2 of Jenkins or Bak in the fold by mid season. I’m going to hazard a guess that it’s a 50/50 chance on seeing Bak return before Jenkins. How he will adapt your guess is as good as anyones.

Rodgers (kinda inadvertently imo) eluded to our staff looking “outside the building” for help at OL just yesterday. He’s likely privy to those discussions, so I don’t think he’s blowing smoke. Don’t be surprised to see a Veteran OL brought in if Bak is deemed “not ready”. I’m not really that concerned because we have the resources to get another veteran similar to previous years.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree on the first part and this has been a shaky season at OL.
I do think there is a significant chance we have 1 of the 2 of Jenkins or Bak in the fold by mid season. I’m going to hazard a guess that it’s a 50/50 chance on seeing Bak return before Jenkins. How he will adapt your guess is as good as anyones.

At worst I see 1 starting Tackle by around ~week 8-9 or before.
Jenkins might bet back sooner. I'm just being optimistic. I have no faith in anything said to the press. The only people who know the status of a player are the HC, Coordinators, GM and the medical staff. I'm not even sure they tell the player, or they tell em and tell em to stay the hell away from a microphone.

Reaction score
Jenkins might bet back sooner. I'm just being optimistic. I have no faith in anything said to the press. The only people who know the status of a player are the HC, Coordinators, GM and the medical staff. I'm not even sure they tell the player, or they tell em and tell em to stay the hell away from a microphone.
Yeah but the press keeps asking. It’s pretty obvious they shouldn’t give away their injury position to fans because that means our opponents also would know.
Although our QB eluding to possible conversations on “outside” help this week is interesting. I suppose we’re always looking for an emergency replacement.
I wonder what Bulagas most recent status is? If he’s healthy I’d consider offering him an affordable deal to come back for 1 last season and then retire in GB. If we got a 1/2 season 10 game rental or so, he’d be worth it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who is the current back up center? Is anybody practicing today a better RT than Turner? I doubt Tom or Newman are better. Turner was better than average at RT and Patrick held his own as the back up center. The current o line is a mess until the Packers can figure out how to get healthier.

According to the team's unofficial depth chart Cole Schneider is currently the backup center, which I have a hard time believing to be true. I agree the Packers desperately need Bakhtiari and Jenkins to return but without them I highly doubt Patrick and/or Turner would have significantly improved the line.

I've never been worried about the O line, and if they get Bakh in action, and when Jenkins returns, they'll be that much better.

It might be reasonable to be worried about the offensive line if neither Bakhtiari and Jenkins will be able to play in week 1.

The only people who know the status of a player are the HC, Coordinators, GM and the medical staff. I'm not even sure they tell the player, or they tell em and tell em to stay the hell away from a microphone.

I'm not confident even the medical staff knows the exact status of a player all the time. They definitely didn't expect Bakhtiari to miss that much time.

I wonder what Bulagas most recent status is? If he’s healthy I’d consider offering him an affordable deal to come back for 1 last season and then retire in GB. If we got a 1/2 season 10 game rental or so, he’d be worth it.

I would prefer the Packers to sign a veteran who has been able to stay healthy over Bulaga who hasn't been able to.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to the team's unofficial depth chart Cole Schneider is currently the backup center, which I have a hard time believing to be true. I agree the Packers desperately need Bakhtiari and Jenkins to return but without them I highly doubt Patrick and/or Turner would have significantly improved the line.

It might be reasonable to be worried about the offensive line if neither Bakhtiari and Jenkins will be able to play in week 1.

I'm not confident even the medical staff knows the exact status of a player all the time. They definitely didn't expect Bakhtiari to miss that much time.

I would prefer the Packers to sign a veteran who has been able to stay healthy over Bulaga who hasn't been able to.
I don't agree about the O line. After all, they played last season without Bakh and a good part without Jenkins. They still won 13 games. Now there's no doubt it's a much better line with Bakh and Jenkins. I just have faith that the coaches and the backups can handle the task of protecting Rodgers and opening lanes for the RBs.

So no, I'm not concerned about starting the season without them.

As for the medical staff issue - well even the best Drs get stumped now and then. It's very possible they don't know what's wrong with Bakh's knee, or at least how to fix it. But it is a very strange situation. They must think he can still play or they'd just tell him to retire if the damage is permanent. I don't recall a similar situation occurring in GB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but the press keeps asking. It’s pretty obvious they shouldn’t give away their injury position to fans because that means our opponents also would know.
Although our QB eluding to possible conversations on “outside” help this week is interesting. I suppose we’re always looking for an emergency replacement.
I don't think Bulaga is an answer. He always had a hard time staying healthy if I recall.

Members online