NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
No signings announced Sunday.

Bragg and Thurman have roster spots elsewhere
Torrence is on Atlanta's PS.

I expected some activity Sunday.

Man, do your research before posting! You're gonna start a riot for no reason! Bragg is on the Packers practice squad. Thurman signed with the Titans practice squad and Torrence did go to the Falcons PS.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 4627.shtml

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leach appears to be on the PS. His eligibility may run out by the end of the year. There are a lot of complicated rules and he was active for a number of games.
The rules are not published anywhere.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Future Plans at Fullback Include Leach?
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 08:36:39 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of PackersNews.com, reports the Green Bay Packers could elevate FB Vonta Leach, who has been recently re-signed to the club's practice squad, to the active roster early into the season, according to Leach's agent, Ralph Vitolo. "They feel like long term he can contribute to their organization for many, many years," Vitolo said. "They think he can be the fullback of their future; like William Henderson was for 11 years, be the heir to his position. That would be great."

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bragg(6 round Packer draft choice) was the only one of the Packer's draft choices released. From the Press Gazette "for their practice squad, the Packers were able to retain Vonta Leach (FB) and receiver Craig Bragg according to THEIR AGENTS. "all about da packers" said "the Packnews got that wrong, Braggs is with the Jets," If that is right. That fault lies with Braggs agent who the information was attributed as the source..The Packers also were trying to re-sign RB Walt Williams to their practice squad. The Atlanta Falcons signed CB Leigh Torrence claimed him off waivers and immediately place in him on theri 53 man roster. P ackers would have offered Torrence a postion on their practice squad. Of course he would accept a spot on 53 man roster of any NFL team over a Packer practice squad spot. The Packers will sign 8 good football players to their practice squad. as quickly as possible. FB Vonta Leach will make $4,700 a week on the Packer Practice squad , If he were a member of the regular roster, he would make $17,900 a week.

Reaction score
Popularity contest: Apparently, a couple of other teams like what the Packers had in training camp.

The New York Jets claimed wide receiver Craig Bragg off waivers, adding him to their 53-man roster. Bragg was a seventh-round draft choice who was released Saturday.

As a result of the Jets picking him up, the Packers have to count his entire $88,500 signing bonus against their cap this season. They were already counting $22,125, or one-fourth of his bonus, against the cap but once he was claimed off waivers the entire figure accelerated to this season.

From http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/sep05/353348.asp

PWT, you are right that it is Bragg's agents fault into leading the Packers to think that Bragg hadn't been claimed. Oh well, best of luck to him I guess.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a result of the Jets picking him up, the Packers have to count his entire $88,500 signing bonus against their cap this season. They were already counting $22,125, or one-fourth of his bonus, against the cap but once he was claimed off waivers the entire figure accelerated to this season.

And right here is the problem with the salaray cap. They cut the guy loose, another team picks him up and it counts against the Packers salary cap. That doesn't make any sense to me. I know it's the way it is, but I can't imagine why that works that way.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers.com has Bragg on the Packer squad. Tom Silverstein at Milwaukee's JS online was wrong. I relied on his report which is still up saying Bragg was on the Jets 53 person roster.

The practice squad additions:

- WR/KR Craig Bragg (6-1, 195, rookie, UCLA)

- CB Patrick Dendy (6-0, 190, rookie, Rice)

- CB Therrian Fontenot (5-11, 187, rookie, Fresno State)

- FB Vonta Leach (6-0, 250, second year, East Carolina)

- WR Chad Lucas (6-1, 201, first year, Alabama State)

- LB Zac Woodfin (6-1, 234, rookie, Alabama-Birmingham)

Fontenot, the only newcomer on the list, spent training camp in Buffalo after signing with the Bills as a non-drafted free agent. A former running back, he made the switch to cornerback after his sophomore year at Fresno State. The Lawndale, Calif., product had a pair of tackles vs. Green Bay in the Bills' preseason win, Aug. 20.

The five other players re-signed with Green Bay after being released in previous 2005 roster reductions.

Green Bay still has two spots open on its practice squad, which can carry up to eight players.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to hear about Craig Bragg and Vonta Leach !!!! Any other LB there??? We need some help there we nee more depth in that area !! :twisted:

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad they added Leach to the practice squad. He's worth keeping, and we might need him down the road if one of our current FBs got injured.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I'm glad they added Leach to the practice squad. He's worth keeping, and we might need him down the road if one of our current FBs got injured.

I twould be a blessing in disguise if Luchey got injured. He's a waste of space IMHO.

I'm wondering what's going on with Walt Williams. I think he's a player but he hasn't signed with us yet. I think its a foregone conclusion that Davenport is as good as gone after this season, so I'd like to have Williams around.
At any rate I think we'll be drafting some RBs next year.

Members online

Latest posts