Packers vs Patriots Preseason Game 2: Game Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hanson who went down with what looked like a concussion last night. Madison Cole stepped in afterwards. I look at it this way there's a REASON Myers was starting over those guys.
Cole Madison? While drafted by the Packers in the 5th round of the 2018 draft, never played for them.

I think you meant Cole Schneider?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was driving at the time. Did the line move at all? Any other player?
If no one else moved then I say Josh was wrong
He very well could have been. Not trying to assign blame other than to say I don’t think the snap itself was poor. It was fast and at eye level. Perfect to snatch and be in position to throw. Wasn’t the lazy slow snaps I’m used to seeing these days.

But their communication was obviously off. Who’s to blame? Just get it right

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’m not impressed with CB Shemar, he should be farther along by now. For each good play he’ll have 2 bad ones etc.. he’d better be careful because Valentine has already passed him up. I love Valentines support in the run game. His run defense thus far is notably good. Glad he got burned going for the INT he can’t get too cocky too fast.
I don't think Shemar makes the 53 and maybe not even the PS. Pretty disappointing 2021 5th round pick for sure. I would say the only way he sticks around is if he is a great special teams guy, but I don't recall anything spectacular that he did in either of his first 2 years on ST or defense. He missed the final 6 games last year, but still only was in on 3 defensive plays and 72 special teams plays. Whereas his rookie season he played 37 snaps on defense and 231 on Special Teams.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Evidently that hike was at least half on the coaches. I don't think it is a great idea to tell the center to hike the ball if he sees movement on the other side. For one thing, he does not know the whole situation like if the player was drawn offsides. I can see where you want an easy first down; but the downside is just too much. You can play these little games, but the first thing is always to take care of the ball. You just don't know what the refs are looking at.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not really watch the O line much but if Walker can play; that would be a big piece of the puzzle. And if Myers is really having blocking problems; he needs individual coaching...like every day. Not just mechanics but what he should be thinking about.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Post game commentary was he saw someone jump and tried for a free five. I don't like that JL10 got outhustled to the ball. The defender went balls out while JL looked to be trotting over like he would in practice.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't be able to watch the game until this afternoon when the NFL Network runs it, but I did check out the box score. I notice Jordan Love improved his average yards per pass from 4.6 last week to 10.5 this week. I bring this up because I saw Colin Cowherd had used Love's 4.6 yards per pass last week to demonstrate that he wasn't going to be anything special.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Rewatching the game on local TV now. 2nd half defense same as last season. Get NE in 3rd & long and the defense can't get off the field. Stupid penalty or open in the middle for 11 when they needed 9 type stuff. 17 play 9 minute drives just shouldn't happen.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rewatching the game on local TV now. 2nd half defense same as last season. Get NE in 3rd & long and the defense can't get off the field. Stupid penalty or open in the middle for 11 when they needed 9 type stuff. 17 play 9 minute drives just shouldn't happen.
this is why Barry should be loooong gone. yeah put him up in the booth...u cannot hide ineptness...Lafluer gonna get the axe if he plays blind loyalist to Barry.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
this is why Barry should be loooong gone. yeah put him up in the booth...u cannot hide ineptness...Lafluer gonna get the axe if he plays blind loyalist to Barry.
Seems the CBs play outside leverage to not get beat down the sideline which gives up the inside route.

Also noticed the #2s played a long time. End of first into the 4th.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't like that JL10 got outhustled to the ball.
I was actually hoping for the opposite. I know instincts are to chase the lose ball, but it is preseason game and right now, Love is the starting QB. Had he gotten seriously hurt going after that ball, it would be the hot topic of conversation for the next 2 months. I was holding my breath when I saw him going after it, glad it ended up being just a meaningless turnover.

Reaction score
I’m obviously just tossing around ideas. But I’d have Meyers transition back to Guard. He was a top 5 recruit Nationally at Guard coming into college and that’s where he played during his first season. He’s a Guard that transitioned to Center and he needs to undergo a metamorphosis back to Guard. We can always slide him back to Center later if needed as a contingency plan.
Hanson or Tom need to battle it out for that Center position. If Hanson has made it this far he’s obviously a primary candidate.

Bak-Jenkins-Hanson-Runyon-Tom

Myers could be a primary Backup inside
if they switched him out. Let him earn his spot back.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I also like what I’m seeing (albeit limited playing time) from Karl Brooks. His QB hit and TFL are in line with what he did in college. He needs more playing time, but he’s showing that he’s a good guy to have come in off the bench.

I hope they work on Cox Jr to set that Edge. That OT gladly allowed Cox the inside leverage to collapse the QB’s pocket and then sealed him off from the boundary like clockwork. Zappe could’ve crawled through that space and he literally walked the last few yards for a TD he was so uncovered. Cox is a good pass rusher, but there’s more responsibility at this level than just over committing. A LB like Preston Smith or Rashan Gary would’ve never lost outside containment there. Big time Rookie mistake.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant Dubose gets an honorable mention also. He’s not spectacular but he missed lots of camp and he’s just solid.

Heath was plain impressive. He went 100% reception per target. 5/5 75 yards. What was more impressive is several of those catches were contested and he makes it look easy. I think he can be a starter in this league with a floor of Geronimo area and very high ceiling.

Eric Wilson looks like a promising RB3. He’s not Ahman Green here, but he reminds me of how Ahman would move his power to speed. Not easy to take down and cuts on a dime. almost be afraid to PS him, I think he’s better than 2021 Khylin was pre injury and he looked good early on.

Kudos to Anders. This sounds odd but I just knew he was going to make that Kick. He almost gets more confident from distances, which is backwards. That kick went through the upright like it was a 42 yarder it’s not something we’ve been accustomed to. I think he’s got max range in that 65 area weather permitting.

I’m not impressed with CB Shemar, he should be farther along by now. For each good play he’ll have 2 bad ones etc.. he’d better be careful because Valentine has already passed him up. I love Valentines support in the run game. His run defense thus far is notably good. He’s going to be really good once he’s up to speed.

I’m totally comfortable with Clifford. He plays like you’d expect from a 3rd Round selection in year 2. I have a friend that follows Penn State and he was excited for me/us when we drafted Clifford, you would’ve thought we drafted his 1st Cousin when I saw him the day after the draft.
Was Carlson doing kickoffs? I'm guessing yes but didn't see the game. Anyway, was he kicking them through or out of the end zone, that is, no returns? That was the biggest rap on Crosby last year, that he had lost the power to easily reach the end zone on kickoffs.

Reaction score
Was Carlson doing kickoffs? I'm guessing yes but didn't see the game. Anyway, was he kicking them through or out of the end zone, that is, no returns? That was the biggest rap on Crosby last year, that he had lost the power to easily reach the end zone on kickoffs.
Very good question. Let me check on that once..

1. Anders Carlson kicks 63 yards from our 20 (after 15 yard penalty on us) to their 17 yard line

2. Anders Carlson Kicks 65 yards to Paint line from our 35 (TB)

3. Carlson kicks 65 yards to Paint line (TB)
:01 sec left in half Zappe kneels on it.

4. Carlson Kicks 68 yards to -3 in Paint
Pats take it out 21 yards. Penalized holding.. halfway to goal line.

5… game called early due to scary injury.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frigging NFL Network screwed me over again, they were supposed to rerun the Packer game at 4pm, and they showed the Steelers/Bills instead. I'd like to find whatever schedule they're actually using. Every other game seems to be correct.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Most kick returners are returning most anything not really deep. It's the preseason. They don't get on film or on the 53 if they kneel 2 yards deep. More TBs during the season.
4. Carlson Kicks 68 yards to -3 in Paint
Pats take it out 21 yards. Penalized holding.. halfway to goal line.
This is why the coaches don't mind not having touch backs.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Post game commentary was he saw someone jump and tried for a free five. I don't like that JL10 got outhustled to the ball. The defender went balls out while JL looked to be trotting over like he would in practice.
Love definitely had alligator arms on that play. Still, I don't want to see him get hurt in a preseason game.

Last edited:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel better about Carlson after last night.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good evening everyone.
I came in for the Doubs overturn catch. Great finish. !!
I live in NE and had to listen to the local broadcast. It was brutal. They were complaining about that call. The Patriots didn't commit a penalty all game according to those guys.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 sacks and a fumble. Enagbare is reaping havoc.
Great job by Eric Wilson again. Also Sean Clifford is just showing up again. He was a good selection for our backup. Very poised.
Enagbare is playing better than Van Ness who looks lost to me.

My sister in law wants to start Clifford. I don't think so.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heath was plain impressive. He went 100% reception per target. 5/5 75 yards. What was more impressive is several of those catches were contested and he makes it look easy. I think he can be a starter in this league with a floor of Geronimo area and very high ceiling.
Yeah, he got the first down on the last play when the Packers were driving for the endzone to take the lead. Looks good to me.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I am not the biggest JL fan (yet) but I definitely do not want to see him get injured in the pre-season so he gets a pass from me.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't be able to watch the game until this afternoon when the NFL Network runs it, but I did check out the box score. I notice Jordan Love improved his average yards per pass from 4.6 last week to 10.5 this week. I bring this up because I saw Colin Cowherd had used Love's 4.6 yards per pass last week to demonstrate that he wasn't going to be anything special.
The NFL Network didn't show it yesterday. I'm hoping they do later in the week.

Members online

Latest posts