Packers' Versatile Players

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN.com's Scouts, Inc. ran a piece ranking the top-10 most versatile players in the NFC. Topping the list was Cobb. He led the league in all-purpose yardage last year, which probably led to this ranking. And he certainly deserves it because he lines up everywhere. But, I still view him as Percy Harvin 2.0. Not quite to Harvin's level, but same type of versatility, but I think Harvin is better, for now. Cobb has proven to be more durable, though, which is worth something too.

The point of this threat though is you will notice at number 7 is another Packer. Take a guess.... Hayward? Nope. JMike? Nope. Clay? No. None other than B.J. Raji!?!?!?! Yup, that B.J. Raji. Here is the breakdown:

7. B.J. Raji, DT, Green Bay Packers
While the coaches talk about reducing his snaps to keep him fresh late in games, they still want to take advantage of this big man's versatility and athletic ability. The Packers change up their defensive looks a lot, and when they are in their base 3-4, he can line up at nose tackle or defensive end.
In their 4-3 nickel, he can slide to defensive tackle and at times he can even drop into coverage if they run a zone blitz. Although we don't see it a lot, he is also capable of lining up at fullback on offense in short-yardage and goal-line situations as either a lead blocker or ball carrier.

I don't buy him as the 7th best versatile player in the NFC. Yes, he can play multiple positions on the line, but his role is similar in all - eat up blockers for the LBers to roam, get some push, and make the play in front of you. And this whole FB nonsense is based off what, three total plays. Come on.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your assessments. Cobb hasn't reached Harvin's level yet but has the potential and skills to surpass. Raji is rated to high, but he is more versatile than your typical DL.

H

HardRightEdge

Cobb has proven to be more durable, though, which is worth something too.

It's not worth "something"...it's worth alot.

Cobb will never be as fast as Harvin, but he might eventually be better...he's still learning the craft of receiving.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts