Packers trade Damarious Randall to Browns

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wishful thinking. I think we need to trade up for one of them, especially Ward.

Call me a pessimist, but I don't think there is going to be an instant starter at CB available at #14 and I hope it isn't Joshua Jackson that is there and the Packers feel like they have no other choice but to take him. I'm still hoping for one or two of the remaining mid range FA CB's to be signed, with the intention of using them as starters. Than use that #14 pick for an Edge rusher and a replacement for Matthews. He doesn't have to start instantly. Then start looking for your future CB's in the next rounds.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me a pessimist, but I don't think there is going to be an instant starter at CB available at #14 and I hope it isn't Joshua Jackson that is there and the Packers feel like they have no other choice but to take him. I'm still hoping for one or two of the remaining mid range FA CB's to be signed, with the intention of using them as starters. Than use that #14 pick for an Edge rusher and a replacement for Matthews. He doesn't have to start instantly. Then start looking for your future CB's in the next rounds.

One of Harold Landry or Jaire Alexander will be there. Landry isn't instant starter, but instant pass rusher. Alexander is instant starter.

I also love Quinton Meeks on the late 2nd or 3rd day.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still watching and listening to this guy LOL....I'm waiting to hear the screech of tires and a major car crash! LOL

Do you think he likes DK7?
I especially liked the part where he suggested that Cleveland should wait a year and then give the Packers a 2nd to get Kizer back.... essentially saying hey please train our QB and we will pay you with a 2nd round draft pick lmao.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I especially liked the part where he suggested that Cleveland should wait a year and then give the Packers a 2nd to get Kizer back.... essentially saying hey please train our QB and we will pay you with a 2nd round draft pick lmao.

The 2 videos of this guy kind of "made my day". I mean I always knew that there were fanatics like him, but sheeeeeeesh, I didn't realize that DK "fuc*ing" 7 was an absolute stud and future Pro Bowler! We should have resigned Janis and tossed him in with the deal, so that we didn't feel like we were ripping off the Browns!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
LOL....I don't even see the guy and I know its the same guy LOL.....This guy needs his own show! "The Cleveland Coronary Clown".

I'm starting to think he doesn't like Hue Jackson. :rolleyes:

But it goes on. I dont think he likes Hugh Jackson. LOL.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But it goes on. I dont think he likes Hugh Jackson. LOL.

I don't know how much more of this guy I can listen to before my head explodes. :eek:

*** Moderator edit - added spoiler box ***

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wishful thinking. I think we need to trade up for one of them, especially Ward.

I’m just looking at the odds, I’m guessing 4 QBs will be taken before us, that leaves 7 spaces before us with one of those 3 still available, with Barkley, Chubb, and the rest of the positions available. Odds are one of minkah, Derwin or Ward will be there at 14. I don’t think it’s wishful thinking, I think it’s just being realistic, but if not, there should be a hell of talent available there either way.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Gute is trying to leave the secondary alone as much as possible, so at the end of 2018 we will all know the answer to the burning question.....Was it Thompson, Capers, Scheme, Whitt or players? :whistling:

I've thought of this, but then why lose Randall and Burnett if that's the case?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Call me a pessimist, but I don't think there is going to be an instant starter at CB available at #14 and I hope it isn't Joshua Jackson that is there and the Packers feel like they have no other choice but to take him.

I definitely advocate for the Packers to sign a veteran cornerback in free agency but wouldn't mind drafting Jackson at #14 at all. I'm wondering why you're opposed to selecting him in the first round.

One of Harold Landry or Jaire Alexander will be there. Landry isn't instant starter, but instant pass rusher. Alexander is instant starter.

Alexander would most likely be starting immediately for the Packers. In my opinion that would be out of necessity and not because he's ready to contribute though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I've read on Jackson says he doesn't have great speed. Lack of speed has been an issue for this team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I definitely advocate for the Packers to sign a veteran cornerback in free agency but wouldn't mind drafting Jackson at #14 at all. I'm wondering why you're opposed to selecting him in the first round.

Maybe I am just tired of picking DB's in the first round and not seeing a lot of dividends, but I would prefer the Packers passing on Jackson if he is there at #14.

Like I said in another post, I think Jackson could eventually be a decent CB, but I don't think he is NFL ready. I also think there will be better options to improve the defense at #14. Jackson played at Iowa and I had a chance to watch him play a few times. Definitely an opportunistic DB and made some nice interceptions and those 8 interceptions are mainly what has him in the first round conversation IMO. I don't see him as a complete package shutdown corner. I'm not by any means a great scout of college talent, but he appears to have the skills of a safety more than that of a one on one shutdown CB.

I know PFF likes him and they are much better evaluators than me, but I would still be disappointed in the pick at 14.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Alexander would most likely be starting immediately for the Packers. In my opinion that would be out of necessity and not because he's ready to contribute though.

Idk man. Alexander is really, really good. Watch his tape against Clemson and DeShaun Watson in 16. He's a lot better in our scheme than Josh Jackson would be.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

My understanding is that Jackson is better suited at this point to playing zone coverage and that he struggles in press. A corner with that speed needs to be able to press effectively to hold up in a system like Pettine's. I love the ball skills, but I don't see the fit with Jackson. Maybe what I've read is incorrect. I haven't studied him.

I do believe that Alexander would be a solid top 3 corner as a rookie for any team, not just out of necessity. I think his injury marred 2017 is clouding just how good he is.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

All I've read on Jackson says he doesn't have great speed. Lack of speed has been an issue for this team.

Maybe I am just tired of picking DB's in the first round and not seeing a lot of dividends, but I would prefer the Packers passing on Jackson if he is there at #14.

Like I said in another post, I think Jackson could eventually be a decent CB, but I don't think he is NFL ready. I also think there will be better options to improve the defense at #14. Jackson played at Iowa and I had a chance to watch him play a few times. Definitely an opportunistic DB and made some nice interceptions and those 8 interceptions are mainly what has him in the first round conversation IMO. I don't see him as a complete package shutdown corner. I'm not by any means a great scout of college talent, but he appears to have the skills of a safety more than that of a one on one shutdown CB.

I know PFF likes him and they are much better evaluators than me, but I would still be disappointed in the pick at 14.

Idk man. Alexander is really, really good. Watch his tape against Clemson and DeShaun Watson in 16. He's a lot better in our scheme than Josh Jackson would be.

My understanding is that Jackson is better suited at this point to playing zone coverage and that he struggles in press. A corner with that speed needs to be able to press effectively to hold up in a system like Pettine's. I love the ball skills, but I don't see the fit with Jackson. Maybe what I've read is incorrect. I haven't studied him.

I do believe that Alexander would be a solid top 3 corner as a rookie for any team, not just out of necessity. I think his injury marred 2017 is clouding just how good he is.

Thanks for the input, guys. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to watch a lot of tape on prospects the Packers could potentially end up drafting. Therefore I have to rely on scouting reports from websites and experts with me sometimes relying on PFF too much.

I can tell you they like Jackson and have him rated as the #1 cornerback though.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-cornerback-route-tree-josh-jackson

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Jackson isn't bad. He probably is the top corner on some teams boards. He is great with the ball in the air, great RZ CB, good size, seems to have good instincts.

With every position, particularly with CB though, you have guys that are scheme dependent. I mean, you're not going to try to make Lamar Jackson play like Tom Brady, ya know? Well...compared to Ward/Alexander, Jackson is very scheme dependent. Put him on a team that runs primarily zone, he's gonna do fine. Put him on a team that runs primarily man, he's not going to do nearly as well. It's like when Hayward left here for the Chargers.

Jackson also is not a good tackler, is not physical for the size he has, and really struggles to backpedal. Pettine plays a lot of man, and a lot of press man, all things Jackson just isn't as good at. He's used to dropping in his zone and then pattern matching. Maybe he can learn, but it would definitely be a projection from our scouting department because he just hasn't done it very much, and when he has, it hasn't been great.

So Jackson isn't bad, but he is scheme dependent, and our scheme doesn't fit his skills very well.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Pettine plays a lot of man, and a lot of press man, all things Jackson just isn't as good at. He's used to dropping in his zone and then pattern matching.

Once again I have to rely on PFF but according to them Jackson played a fair amount of press coverage excelling in it as well.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again I have to rely on PFF but according to them Jackson played a fair amount of press coverage excelling in it as well.

This is where it can get tricky.

For me, the results he had there were good, but the process involved wasn't. The competition of QB/WR that he regularly faced wasn't very good imo. He got away with bad technique in his press coverage. I think projecting against NFL outside WR's he would struggle in press. I could be wrong, but I trust Ward/Alexander a lot more.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be surprised to see him excel at that position either. IMO he's got a lot better Range and play making ability than Clinton Dix, and it's not close.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I would not be surprised to see him excel at that position either. IMO he's got a lot better Range and play making ability than Clinton Dix, and it's not close.

The Packers should have definitely lined up Randall at free safety. McCarthy mentioned they used him primarily at cornerback out of necessity though.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I’m guessing then the Packers see Jones as a better safety?

I don't think that to be true as Jones will most likely line up at hybrid strong safety/inside linebacker while Randall is best suited to excel at free safety.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Browns must really like Randall, they decided to exercise his 5th year option, which will be at an estimated cost of $9,069,000. Not sure I would have been happy to see the Packers do that had they not traded him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts