Packers trade Damarious Randall to Browns

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A new scheme will do a world of difference for our secondary. Trust me on this. I've never seen so many professional players so often out of place. That's coaching through and through.

I’m sure coaching has a great deal to do with it, it’s not a coincidence that Hayward leaves us and turns into a top 3 corner in the game and Hyde leaves and turns into a pro bowler. Maybe Pettine can salvage Rollins too. I’m excited to see our new defense, Gute will bring in a serviceable vet, I’m not worried about it yet.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I’m sure coaching has a great deal to do with it, it’s not a coincidence that Hayward leaves us and turns into a top 3 corner in the game and Hyde leaves and turns into a pro bowler. Maybe Pettine can salvage Rollins too. I’m excited to see our new defense, Gute will bring in a serviceable vet, I’m not worried about it yet.

I'm optimistic that Gutekunst will add at least one veteran cornerback before the start of the season as well but as of right now there's definitely reason to be worried about the lack of talent at the position.

As a side note, while the Packers have a new defensive coordinator Whitt is still coaching the defensive backs which has me a bit concerned as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Gutes offseason plans were to improve a position that has been terrible for several years, was to trade away one of his "top CB's" for a backup QB with question marks, as well as let one CB walk in free agency and then be in the second week of free agency and not have signed any CB's, then yeah, I'm scratching my head as to what he is doing.

I'm not questioning that he hasn't tried, but they don't give out participation trophies in the NFL.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute's signing of Wilkerson and Graham doesn't mean a hell of a lot when he hasn't addressed the #1 problem facing this team. And it this point he's left with table scraps for veteran CB options. And the kicker is that he traded the best CB the Packers had for a back up QB.

It's like his wife sent him to the grocery store to buy milk and he came home with potato chips and twinkies.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If he signs a veteran corner and trades for another, the narrative will change. Maybe that won’t happen. If all he does is add a rookie or two, I’ll be as annoyed as anyone. But it’s stupid to sit here on March 20th and say “he had a plan and it didn’t work.”

This time last year, the top corner on the Eagles was Jalen Mills, a 7th round pick with one season under his belt. Then they signed Patrick Robinson in late March, drafted a couple of corners in May, and traded for Darby in August.

Fans are way too eager to declare offseasons successes or failures before they’re close to over.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute's signing of Wilkerson and Graham doesn't mean a hell of a lot when he hasn't addressed the #1 problem facing this team.
Yeah, leaving a big hole like that sounds like something Ted would do. It's not over yet, so I'm still in wait and see mode. Even if they pick a CB in the first round though, you can't depend on a rookie to lead the secondary. Unless Gute and Pettine and everybody are just resigned to rebuilding the defense (or at least the secondary), and are willing to sacrifice the season to do it. I think it's probable they have something else in mind though.

As for Randall, sounds like they just wanted him gone, and are willing to deal with whatever consequences come with that.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Gute's signing of Wilkerson and Graham doesn't mean a hell of a lot when he hasn't addressed the #1 problem facing this team. And it this point he's left with table scraps for veteran CB options.

There are still several decent veteran cornerbacks available in free agency (Gaines, DRC, Williams). In addition Gutekunst might be able to trade for help at the position.

While i understand fans being concerned about the lack of talent at the position it might be smart to wait until the start of the season to evaluate the roster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are better than table scraps available still in FA, and there are future HOFer's waiting to be drafted. Guys will still be cut, roster will be formed and guys might be available for trade too. Regardless of what they do, they have to have a good draft. They have to hit on some picks and that is regardless to what they do in FA or any other avenue of player acquisition. King needs to recover and get over his shoulder problems and we need someone else to add and develop very quickly. and I'd love an edge rusher, but at this point, there are other ways to generate pressure and they're going to have to be somewhat creative. Perry and Matthews could be fine, if healthy, so options will be necessary. I think Dline pressure is going to be more of a focus this year, i did last year too so take my prediction for what it's worth, and It hink Clay is going to move around and play more from the middle than true wide OLB rush the passer position, and the young guys are going to be a steady rotation to keep fresh legs going at the QB all game. Pressure is going to have to come collectively and not from a "premier" edge guy. We're not going to fix it all in the draft this year, but get your impact players whatever they may be. My preference is FA DB and a couple mid round DB's to develop and fight it out and a great edge guy to bring up and be ready year 2-3 early in the draft. But hey, if you get me a lock down corner that steps in day 1 and can play in round 1 i'm not going to complain. Or if you get your right tackle that can handle anybody you throw at him, i'm fine with that too. Because of our Dline, get me a linebacker that can slice and make plays all over behind the LOS, he'll thrive here. Lots of guys we could take early and still find ways to win. But one thing doesn't change, they have to have a good draft. They must hit big on at least 2 picks and have another 3-4 that are at least solid at their respective positions.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If he signs a veteran corner and trades for another, the narrative will change. Maybe that won’t happen. If all he does is add a rookie or two, I’ll be as annoyed as anyone. But it’s stupid to sit here on March 20th and say “he had a plan and it didn’t work.”

This time last year, the top corner on the Eagles was Jalen Mills, a 7th round pick with one season under his belt. Then they signed Patrick Robinson in late March, drafted a couple of corners in May, and traded for Darby in August.

Fans are way too eager to declare offseasons successes or failures before they’re close to over.

I don't think there is any doubt, that the CB depth chart that we are looking at today, will change come Sept. I also don't doubt that Gute hasn't tried to sign a CB in free agency and he is still trying to formulate a plan to address the position. All I was commenting on is the frustration of once again being in an off season with CB issues and some of the more direct ways to fix those issues are now off the table.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Brady and Pats exposed how to beat top flight CB's against the Jags.

Run verts all freaking game until they're exhausted and then run quick breaking routes. What helps against that? A pass rush! Look at the Eagles. Their CB's were the definition of average, but had an elite pass rush.

Now obviously we don't have an elite pass rush, but we are improving it. That's not to say CB's aren't important...they obviously are, but a pass rush can make an average secondary look real good.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ipso facto faux Latin expo, I do think Wilkerson was a direct way to fix our secondary issues.

Interior pressure is king.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think there is any doubt, that the CB depth chart that we are looking at today, will change come Sept. I also don't doubt that Gute hasn't tried to sign a CB in free agency and he is still trying to formulate a plan to address the position. All I was commenting on is the frustration of once again being in an off season with CB issues and some of the more direct ways to fix those issues are now off the table.

I understand and share that frustration. I was more responding to the notion that he "had a plan that didn't work" as if all GM's don't have offseason plans full of contingencies.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So all these teams spending top dollar on their CB's are doing it wrong? :cautious:

I'm not implying that spending top dollar guarantees anything, nor is it not important to have a strong pass rush, but having a second year rookie with a shoulder issue, Quinton Rollins coming off of an achilles injury (or even 100%) healthy, a converted WR that hasn't seen much play at CB and a smattering of JAGS just isn't making me feel warm and fuzzy thus far.

I pointed it out last week, but right now the Packers are spending a total of $5,233,443 on the position. That is an average of $867K/player.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So all these teams spending top dollar on their CB's are doing it wrong? :cautious:

I'm not implying that spending top dollar guarantees anything, nor is it not important to have a strong pass rush, but having a second year rookie with a shoulder issue, Quinton Rollins coming off of an achilles injury (or even 100%) healthy, a converted WR that hasn't seen much play at CB and a smattering of JAGS just isn't making me feel warm and fuzzy thus far.

I pointed it out last week, but right now the Packers are spending a total of $5,233,443 on the position. That is an average of $867K/player.

I wouldn't say that.

I'm by no means "happy" with our secondary. Don't get me wrong, I'd love
to see some lock down corners, but unfortunately, that's unlikely. I think we'll see a veteran signed yet, and a rookie or two drafted.

I think with the combination of a new, simplified scheme plus some growth from players, our secondary will be much improved from last year. Call it blind optimism or what not, but I tell you, I have never seen a defensive backfield have as many coverage breakdowns as ours did. Veterans were confused. Rookies were confused. That almost never happens at the pro level. Just guys being able to get to the right spot will see a big difference. Plug in what should be an improved pass rush, and I think it's hard not to see the potential improvement. Will we be a great defense? No. But I think we'll be at least average, and building towards better.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that.

I'm by no means "happy" with our secondary. Don't get me wrong, I'd love
to see some lock down corners, but unfortunately, that's unlikely. I think we'll see a veteran signed yet, and a rookie or two drafted.

I think with the combination of a new, simplified scheme plus some growth from players, our secondary will be much improved from last year. Call it blind optimism or what not, but I tell you, I have never seen a defensive backfield have as many coverage breakdowns as ours did. Veterans were confused. Rookies were confused. That almost never happens at the pro level. Just guys being able to get to the right spot will see a big difference. Plug in what should be an improved pass rush, and I think it's hard not to see the potential improvement. Will we be a great defense? No. But I think we'll be at least average, and building towards better.

As much as I want to buy into all that, more a scheme/Capers issue than a personnel issue, I can't help wonder if the Packers believe that fully. Trading their #1 CB from 2017 leads me to believe that some of this is personnel. The counter argument to that is obviously Hayward and Hyde. Whatever is going on up in Green Bay in regards to the secondary, we are now "personnel wise" weaker than we finished the season, so I guess we can all only hold our collective breaths and hope that a new DC, a new scheme, a better pass rush and whoever is already there, as well as who they sign/draft/trade for will improve what has been a sh*t show for far too long.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Maybe they think they gave up a troubled corner for a future potential HOF QB. Time will tell but this Browns fan seems to think we did okay.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe they think they gave up a troubled corner for a future potential HOF QB. Time will tell but this Browns fan seems to think we did okay.

Still watching and listening to this guy LOL....I'm waiting to hear the screech of tires and a major car crash! LOL

Do you think he likes DK7?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I want to buy into all that, more a scheme/Capers issue than a personnel issue, I can't help wonder if the Packers believe that fully. Trading their #1 CB from 2017 leads me to believe that some of this is personnel. The counter argument to that is obviously Hayward and Hyde. Whatever is going on up in Green Bay in regards to the secondary, we are now "personnel wise" weaker than we finished the season, so I guess we can all only hold our collective breaths and hope that a new DC, a new scheme, a better pass rush and whoever is already there, as well as who they sign/draft/trade for will improve what has been a sh*t show for far too long.

I think we traded Randall not because of his talent, but because he's a head case. This is a player a group of veterans wanted cut during the season. He was also our most talented CB on the roster. But I mean, the guy blamed all of his faults on somebody else. We were never going to pay him big $$$ because he's checking out after that. I don't know if he's coachable. Hard to say.

Look at last year man. HaHa who was very good the year before was out of position. Burnett was out of position on occasion. None of our CB's knew what the heck they were doing, especially when in zone. Our LB's were constantly out of position in zone coverage. All of that points to scheme, and knowledge of scheme. AND THEN, to a man, every defensive coach, easpecially Pettine and Whitt, have talked about simplifying things. Have talked about making things simple so we can play fast and not think. That right there is as obvious as it gets that they think the scheme was a major, major problem. The personnel isn't very good, but the scheme will be better,and so will we.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe Gute is trying to leave the secondary alone as much as possible, so at the end of 2018 we will all know the answer to the burning question.....Was it Thompson, Capers, Scheme, Whitt or players? :whistling:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He's "In Love"

LOL....I don't even see the guy and I know its the same guy LOL.....This guy needs his own show! "The Cleveland Coronary Clown".

I'm starting to think he doesn't like Hue Jackson. :rolleyes:

Members online

Latest posts