Packers trade Damarious Randall to Browns

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mine was later in life, as I was a high school wiz, struggled in college, figured the world out, and aced my Masters. As with all things in life, the same approach works differently for different folks.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Pettine didn’t like what he saw in Randall or the packers don’t like Randall in the locker room
Yeah, MM was having problems with Randall, so I believe they dumped him. I just hope they also dump Hundley.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitt definitely deserves part of the blame for the cornerbacks struggling over the past few years.
I agree. I think Whitt should have be ****canned. He talks a good game, but his secondary always looks lost and was certainly ineffective.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree. I think Whitt should have be ****canned. He talks a good game, but his secondary always looks lost and was certainly ineffective.

How do we know how to separate what was the fault of Capers’ scheme and what was the fault of Whitt’s teaching?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not even trying to lay blame, i can fully see that Capers had some pretty crazy stuff to deal with at some pretty important times to not hold it all against him. He's a good coach, I think Whitt is a good coach. There was something obviously not working, heck if I know what it was. and when our defense is the same, i'm not going to think it's all the players fault 3 weeks into the season, because this is a 2 year minimum turnaround and if they suddenly come out of the gate like gangbusters I'm not going to think it was all Capers' fault because they have 10 sacks in the first 2 games either. I just hope whatever wasn't working, gets figured out and the holes in the roster right now get filled in the next season or so and the defensive game plan gets implemented, learned and then honed.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not even trying to lay blame, i can fully see that Capers had some pretty crazy stuff to deal with at some pretty important times to not hold it all against him. He's a good coach, I think Whitt is a good coach. There was something obviously not working, heck if I know what it was. and when our defense is the same, i'm not going to think it's all the players fault 3 weeks into the season, because this is a 2 year minimum turnaround and if they suddenly come out of the gate like gangbusters I'm not going to think it was all Capers' fault because they have 10 sacks in the first 2 games either. I just hope whatever wasn't working, gets figured out and the holes in the roster right now get filled in the next season or so and the defensive game plan gets implemented, learned and then honed.

I’ve said this a few times before, but I think of Dom Capers as the defensive version of Norv Turner. That is to say he’s extremely knowledgeable, has had a lot of success, and is far from the dolt that some would make him out to be. However, like Turner, he isn’t good at adapting to the talent he’s given and the changes in the game seem to have passed him by. It was a good hiring and now it’s a good firing.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do we know how to separate what was the fault of Capers’ scheme and what was the fault of Whitt’s teaching?

We're about to find out. Whitt definitely needs to be on notice this year. If the secondary doesn't improve on his watch while the guys that walk continue to flourish elsewhere, he needs to go. I'm frankly not even comfortable with him being brought back in the defensive coaching overhaul, but I'm willing to give his bosses the benefit of the doubt in their apparent assessment that it was Capers, not him.

The improvement needs to start now, though, there is no 3 year learning curve here.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Actually, I think we could get more in draft picks. 1,2,3 this year, 1,2,4 next year. Then you draft a whole bunch of good young talent the next two years, and win the superbowl in 2020 with the quarterback you draft this year at 14 or even 4 if you really like someone.

Let's not forget TT's responsibility in all this either. Despite what Hayward and Hyde did after leaving Green Bay, Ted might not have been finding the right guys for Capers to work with.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Let's not forget TT's responsibility in all this either. Despite what Hayward and Hyde did after leaving Green Bay, Ted might not have been finding the right guys for Capers to work with.

If you can’t work with the coverage skills of a guy like Hayward, the player is not the problem.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If you can’t work with the coverage skills of a guy like Hayward, the player is not the problem.
Correct, but is it as simple as one guy worked out, one guy didn't work out and one guy should have worked out? Again, you can point your finger at Capers, at TT or Whitt and probably be correct....depending on the situation and the player you are talking about. For some reason Whitt seemed to get a pass in all this, I still don't know why, but I guess we will see what he can now do with Pettine and all these stellar players Gute is lining up for him in the secondary. :coffee:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and it's blown up in their faces. lol
That's a possibility. Gute may still have a plan up his sleeve, but it's possible they thought they were going to pick up one of the free agents that they've missed out on.
If nothing else, I sure hope Pettine is good at developing CBs.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's freaking March and we're saying this are either a huge success or a huge failure?

Some of y'all need to chill and wait.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's freaking March and we're saying this are either a huge success or a huge failure?

Some of y'all need to chill and wait.

You are correct. This isn't much different then 2015, 16 or 17 when the Packers secondary needed to be addressed and......:rolleyes: Glad we still have the draft ahead to....take another stab at fixing it.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct. This isn't much different then 2015, 16 or 17 when the Packers secondary needed to be addressed and......:rolleyes: Glad we still have the draft ahead to....take another stab at fixing it.

I would say it's different.

It's obvious Gute sees the need. Has he found the players he wants? At least one we know of, but it didn't work out for us. That happens. Not an excuse, but just a fact. It happens, it's still March, there's still time. Why freak out now? Want to freak out after the draft? Go for it! It's early now though.

We also addressed a new coach, a new system. So I would say things are being addressed, just not as quickly/obviously as we would like.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A new scheme will do a world of difference for our secondary. Trust me on this. I've never seen so many professional players so often out of place. That's coaching through and through.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think those of us that are a tad bit nervous about the secondary have the right to be. If the Packers FO isn't, then they should be. I know it's only March, but look at the list of FA CB's that have been signed and those that remain. Now look at our current roster. After that, look back at the 3 or so year history of this position for the Packers. Granted, a #14 pick may pay better dividends than a late first round or early 2nd round. But as I said a few days ago, I'm starting to feel like Billy Murray in Groundhog day when it comes to the Packers and the CB position.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in '15 we had lost Tramon and House to FA. and drafted 2 DB's in the first 2 rounds. We also still had Hayward heading into a contract season. I wouldn't say it wasn't addressed and they were exactly garbage that year either. In fact by the end of the season, Shields, Randall and Rollins were highly thought of by fans, coaches, and other 3rd party sites like PFF go back and take a look if you don't believe me. the WR's and oline were a far bigger issue in '15 than DB's

'16 was different in that we lost Shields right away and basically Randall and Rollins to injuries. Nobody cared heading into '16 that Hayward was not re-signed. and nobody cared the next year when we didn't give our 4th DB in Hyde 7 million dollars a year to be back up DB. Every year has been different and last year we used our first draft pick on a DB too. I think Rollins is done, it didn't work out, or most likely won't. Wouldn't matter if his name was Patrick Peterson if he had the injuries he did in year 2 and an achilles rupture in year 3. nobody really knows what we have in him other than what they want to say they believe it was. and Randall can play, he just has head issues. But not working out and not addressing are pretty different.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A new scheme will do a world of difference for our secondary. Trust me on this. I've never seen so many professional players so often out of place. That's coaching through and through.
that was a huge problem. It was almost always blow coverages somewhere on the field.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think those of us that are a tad bit nervous about the secondary have the right to be. If the Packers FO isn't, then they should be. I know it's only March, but look at the list of FA CB's that have been signed and those that remain. Now look at our current roster. After that, look back at the 3 or so year history of this position for the Packers. Granted, a #14 pick may pay better dividends than a late first round or early 2nd round. But as I said a few days ago, I'm starting to feel like Billy Murray in Groundhog day when it comes to the Packers and the CB position.

Sure. Be nervous. That's your call.

I mean, I'm not happy with where we're at right now either. I also recognize that whether I'm nervous or excited, it's not going to make any difference on what the Packers do. So while I'm not excited, I'm just not going to be bothered by this either.

Also, I don't think it's being optimistic to say a scheme change will have an impact as well. I would say that's realistic, but I'd be willing to hear your argument there on why Capers scheme won't be any different than Pettine's, result wise.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I also recognize that whether I'm nervous or excited, it's not going to make any difference on what the Packers do.

Not picking on you, but when people write stuff like that in a fan forum, I guess my response is; "If you are here thinking that you are making a difference in what the Green Bay Packers do or don't do, I got some eye opening news for you."

I don't know why you or anyone else is here, but I am here just to express my thoughts, feelings, etc. about the Packers and read what other fans are thinking as well.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure. Be nervous. That's your call.

I mean, I'm not happy with where we're at right now either. I also recognize that whether I'm nervous or excited, it's not going to make any difference on what the Packers do. So while I'm not excited, I'm just not going to be bothered by this either.

Also, I don't think it's being optimistic to say a scheme change will have an impact as well. I would say that's realistic, but I'd be willing to hear your argument there on why Capers scheme won't be any different than Pettine's, result wise.

lol...no one thinks their opinions sway the Packers. lol. we're fans standing at the office water cooler *****ing about their team. do you bark at your buddies at work when they talk sports?

one sentence you say you're "not happy" and the next you say you're "not bothered" by it. you then lash out and remind everyone it's only march. clearly you are bothered.

as for schemes...it takes talent to run a successful scheme and at this point the Packers are less talented than last year. a situation i thought would be impossible to achieve.

i'm sure gute had a plan...it just didn't work out. he even tried an end run with the fuller deal but got tackled for no gain. there are no more impact CB's left (except maybe gaines) so his options are patch the hole (t-will etc.) and hope the draft works out (ward/johnson), make a surprise trade (patrick peterson), or stand pat (suicide lol). either way it's going to be talked about whether you like it or not. ;)

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
lol...no one thinks their opinions sway the Packers. lol. we're fans standing at the office water cooler *****ing about their team. do you bark at your buddies at work when they talk sports?

one sentence you say you're "not happy" and the next you say you're "not bothered" by it. you then lash out and remind everyone it's only march. clearly you are bothered.

as for schemes...it takes talent to run a successful scheme and at this point the Packers are less talented than last year. a situation i thought would be impossible to achieve.

i'm sure gute had a plan...it just didn't work out. he even tried an end run with the fuller deal but got tackled for no gain. there are no more impact CB's left (except maybe gaines) so his options are patch the hole (t-will etc.) and hope the draft works out (ward/johnson), make a surprise trade (patrick peterson), or stand pat (suicide lol). either way it's going to be talked about whether you like it or not. ;)

“Had a plan”?

Is the offseason over?

Members online

Latest posts