Packers sign Devin Funchess

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No guarantee Funchess even makes the cut. He's the slowest of the Packer's big-bodied wide receivers and has problems with drops. I'd rather keep Lazard and St Brown over Funchess. He could battle Kumerow for the sixth WR position.
Here is how I see the WR position group
1 Adams
2. High draft pick
3. Lazard
4. St. Brown
5. Low draft pick
6. Kumerow or Funchess

St. Brown is faster and has better hands in my opinion with a higher up side.

St Brown is the 2nd best wr on the Packers roster behind Adams. It was a mistake not carrying him into the 53 last season and then placing him on ir so he could have returned late in the season

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah ...as odd as it sounds to me, I think there are still a few in here that are carrying a torch for Allison.
Would not call it carrying a torch but I still like him and hope he gets a better chance somewhere. He made some bad fumbles last year. Those could be corrected. People had it in for him on boards because they picked out one or more of the 3 newbies we picked and would prefer their guys make it. Or they look at stats and say that he can't do it and so they hope he fails (imo). He does block well but that is not a good reason to play him in the slot all the time. He is meant to be on the outside. Well, we will see if his career continues.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would not call it carrying a torch but I still like him and hope he gets a better chance somewhere. He made some bad fumbles last year. Those could be corrected. People had it in for him on boards because they picked out one or more of the 3 newbies we picked and would prefer their guys make it. Or they look at stats and say that he can't do it and so they hope he fails (imo). He does block well but that is not a good reason to play him in the slot all the time. He is meant to be on the outside. Well, we will see if his career continues.

I have a soft spot for GMo, and hope he excels, but his time in GB needs to be and is over. I liken it to Clay or Janis or Crabtree or Bush or...could go on. Sometimes a journey needs done here. I would not be shocked at all if in a few years he is still holding down a #3/#4 WR spot somewhere OR out of the league. I pray it is the former for his sake.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read a report that thought Funchess' contract would be close to the vet minimum but havent seen anything else reported. Has anyone seen anything?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a soft spot for GMo, and hope he excels, but his time in GB needs to be and is over. I liken it to Clay or Janis or Crabtree or Bush or...could go on. Sometimes a journey needs done here. I would not be shocked at all if in a few years he is still holding down a #3/#4 WR spot somewhere OR out of the league. I pray it is the former for his sake.
his biggest issue is ball security. I liked the kid too, really though he could make it, but he just can't hang on to the ball. He's made some damn fine catches for us. He doesn't get enough credit by some, but then there was the rest too. I'm probably exaggerating, but only by a little when I say he was 50/50. If you threw him the ball, 50/50 he was going to catch it or bobble and get knocked out or just drop it. Probably better in the catch category, but i'm keeping eveyrhting 50/50 :)

Then if he caught it, 50/50 he was going keep hold, or get it knocked out on the way to the ground. It was just a question if it went out of bounds, bounced back into his arms, happened to have a knee down first or was in fact a fumble lost.

he's just way too loose with the ball.

Reaction score
I think this signing will give GB several true #3 WR's with some stiff competition for the #2 spot. I feel very comfortable that if GB drafts a WR by pick #62 (or before) that their will be a 3-4 way battle between Lazard, Funchess, #62 and maybe EQ. EQ also excels at being disruptive on ST coverage, so I sorta see him more as a ST/#4WR in 2020, until he proves he is officially 'back".

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this signing will give GB several true #3 WR's with some stiff competition for the #2 spot. I feel very comfortable that if GB drafts a WR by pick #62 (or before) that their will be a 3-4 way battle between Lazard, Funchess, #62 and maybe EQ. EQ also excels at being disruptive on ST coverage, so I sorta see him more as a ST/#4WR in 2020, until he proves he is officially 'back".

This is precisely what we have sitting on the roster post draft IMO as well. Even if it is pick #94, this is an OPEN contest. Sure I think if Gute is forced to make a depth chart you'll see Lazard as the "#2" but it is only a formality.

It is going to be a crazy camp, we will have :

Adams and then:

Lazard, Funchess, a reasonably high draft choice, MVS, ESB, a second draft pick, and a few UDFAs literally battling for keeps.

Reaction score
This is precisely what we have sitting on the roster post draft IMO as well. Even if it is pick #94, this is an OPEN contest. Sure I think if Gute is forced to make a depth chart you'll see Lazard as the "#2" but it is only a formality.

It is going to be a crazy camp, we will have :

Adams and then:

Lazard, Funchess, a reasonably high draft choice, MVS, ESB, a second draft pick, and a few UDFAs literally battling for keeps.

This will be fun to watch who rises to the occasion, there is no motivator quite like "good competition".

The other aspect of this move that may be getting lost is that GB is not pigeon holed into getting a WR with their 1st or 2nd day selections. They may consider the format of drafting several DAY THREE WR selections IF they see another position group slipping down the board (e.g, OT, DT, LB etc..). Although I think our inclination will be WR by round 2

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be fun to watch who rises to the occasion, there is no motivator quite like "good competition".

The other aspect of this move that may be getting lost is that GB is not pigeon holed into getting a WR with their 1st or 2nd day selections. They may consider the format of drafting several DAY THREE WR selections IF they see another position group slipping down the board (e.g, OT, DT, LB etc..). Although I think our inclination will be WR by round 2

My latest plays out similar...I fully admit I don't think Gandy-Golden has more than a 50/50 shot of being there where I pick him...but slide in Proche or Cephus instead...or nab Reggie there and Proche/Cephus type WR later:

First Round #30 - Isaiah Wilson OT Georgia...I'm in agreement with Mel Kiper, Wilson is the Tackle that goes back end of 1st or probably first off board in the 2nd. Gute has positioned himself well here and if we stay I feel a big body (iDL or OL) is coming off the board.

Second Round #62 - Davon Hamilton iDL Ohio State...dude is a big nose that can push and rush. I despised him wearing the Ohio State jersery....but only because I wish he played for Notre Dame and I dislike Ohio State. Incredible players squelched his snap count for years and that is a good thing as he is not a banged up big man at all. Kenny Clark is smiling seeing his new bash brother in the trenches.

Third Round #94 - Van Jefferson WR Florida...route technician that uses his skillset and step to get open, which translates to the NFL better than someone relying solely on their size or speed. He can and will instantly contribute as a team's #3 worst case I think...with the incredible potential of starting by the end of his rookie campaign.

Fourth Round #136 - Josiah Deguara TE Cincinnati...first time I've predicted us taking a middle round TE...and he is a unique one. His edge and willingness to never shut his motor off in ANY situation from head hunting post-interceptions to blocking down field on long runs, and holds ZERO fear of anyone fighting for a ball or yards. His skillset and abilities seem to fit a TE#2 projections well with special teams contributor being a huge factor in his value. While his ceiling is not high, his floor is incredibly high honestly. (was a great pass catching threat in high school, and is a three sport athlete)

Fifth Round #175 - Justin Strnad LB Wake Forest...full disclosure, this is oddly late into the draft to select a LB I think...BUT I feel Gute is really high on Kirksey being healthy and solid. Strnad is a LB that many feel could instantly become a dependable #2 for a team and even eventually start. His tackling skills aren't on par with what I felt Blake's were when he was a rookie, but I see a slightly more athletic Blake...which has very quick feet but often times gets tricked by what he sees instead of what he anticipates. Solid upside LB for a back up role and competition to push Burks and Summers for depth instantly. *Did rupture bicep in October...should be good to go though.

Fifth Round #192 - Antonio Gandy-Golden WR Liberty - I am iffy on when he goes. I sense someone may pull the trigger on him vastly earlier than he arguably deserves...but he is kinda the poor man's/small school Jefferson (LSU) option. Others to consider here might be Quintez Cephus or Proche...or at this spot there are a few bargain EDGE guys or OL to grab as well.

Sixth Round #208 - Donell Stanley iOL South Carolina - While Patrick is the leading candidate to replace Linsley when he departs, I want some competition and Stanley has the size and reach and experience to compete not just at Center but I could see him be a guard depth role as well.

Sixth Round #209 - Reggie Robinson II CB Tulsa...a standout CB from Tulsa with the measurables and flashes to excel as a outside corner in the league. Not a dire need, but I would love to roll a late round dice on this project of a CB some are falling in love with...so he may not be here as he was went from many saying undrafted to being seen on boards more and more.

Sixth Round #209 - Trevis Gipson EDGE Tulsa...oddly enough double dipping on Tulsa I guess. Gipson has the physical measurables to have promise...whether it can be molded into something though is the question. We either found our Fackrell replacement of the future...OR he may not even see the practice squad.

Seventh Round #242 - Garrett Marino iDL UAB...a long leaner interior Defensive Lineman that projects as a situational interior pressure cooker...his athleticism is going to intrigue, but I am unsure if he will find a spot. Too intriguing not to take the pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like Allen Lazard, what he did last year and his potential. However, we need to remember that many felt the same of MVS and even Allison after the 2018 season. So yes Lazard could be our future #2 and keep improving or he could go the other direction. I am not banking on which happens. So for me, Funchess at least brings a few more seasons of data with him and barring injury, which is a concern with anyone, will most likely give us what we say out of him at Carolina.

I also think as the COVID-19 situation drags on, the chances of a Rookie WR contributing in year #1 goes down. We may very well see a very shortened camp and preseason, that is, if we see any NFL Football in 2020.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
St Brown is the 2nd best wr on the Packers roster behind Adams. It was a mistake not carrying him into the 53 last season and then placing him on ir so he could have returned late in the season

And this statement is based on???????

The most likely reason they weren't willing to use a roster spot on him, for a single day to leave the option open that he could be brought back, was because they considered him a bubble player.

Thinking people are very confused by where he was on the depth chart when he went down last year

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And this statement is based on???????

The most likely reason they weren't willing to use a roster spot on him, for a single day to leave the option open that he could be brought back, was because they considered him a bubble player.

Thinking people are very confused by where he was on the depth chart when he went down last year

Agreed. I think even the Packers themselves really didn't have a firm grasp as to what they had in their WR #2-8 last season. As much as I wanted to see ESB on the field, I think it was more important just to redshirt him and give the snaps to other guys. Also, by putting him on IR ahead of the 53 cut down, it allowed the Packers to protect one more guy. I never heard if and when he could have actually come back from the injury, but he should get a chance to show us what he can due in this his 3rd season. Depending on what the Packers do in the draft, I would say he has a 50/50 shot of making the final 53.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
his biggest issue is ball security. I liked the kid too, really though he could make it, but he just can't hang on to the ball. He's made some damn fine catches for us. He doesn't get enough credit by some, but then there was the rest too. I'm probably exaggerating, but only by a little when I say he was 50/50. If you threw him the ball, 50/50 he was going to catch it or bobble and get knocked out or just drop it. Probably better in the catch category, but i'm keeping eveyrhting 50/50 :)

Then if he caught it, 50/50 he was going keep hold, or get it knocked out on the way to the ground. It was just a question if it went out of bounds, bounced back into his arms, happened to have a knee down first or was in fact a fumble lost.

he's just way too loose with the ball.
He had some very bad fumbles because he did not keep his head and tried too hard. But over the past two years he had a 68 and 62% catch ratio. Much better than 50-50.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had some very bad fumbles because he did not keep his head and tried too hard. But over the past two years he had a 68 and 62% catch ratio. Much better than 50-50.
I know he caught more than 50%, I even said that :)

it would be interesting go go back over last year and check out every catch and see how many times the play ended with the ball still secure though. that ball is was almost always moving.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In looking for GMO "highlights", I found this. Kind of an enjoyable highlight reel of the last regular season.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like Allen Lazard, what he did last year and his potential. However, we need to remember that many felt the same of MVS and even Allison after the 2018 season.
I was not one of those people for Allison. I didn't understand the love he received. MVS I'm holding out hope on, but my faith has dwindled significantly to the point I wouldn't be said if he was cut. This year he has to step up.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS has never really made me feel comfortable. GMo has at least made some damn tough catches to make people think something was there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The differences between MVS and GMo is all the fact one is terrible with stuff leading up to the reception...while the other is terrible after.

GMo is a significantly smarter and better route runner...but struggles mightedly with concentration on easy receptions and ball security once occurred.

MVS is a significantly better weapon once he has the ball....but the problem is getting open....he has like one good route (run faster than defender) LOL :)

If MVS continues to hone his route running, the dude could be sick....

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The differences between MVS and GMo is all the fact one is terrible with stuff leading up to the reception...while the other is terrible after.

GMo is a significantly smarter and better route runner...but struggles mightedly with concentration on easy receptions and ball security once occurred.

MVS is a significantly better weapon once he has the ball....but the problem is getting open....he has like one good route (run faster than defender) LOL :)

If MVS continues to hone his route running, the dude could be sick....
So in other words MVS had the same problem Janis did essentially?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So in other words MVS had the same problem Janis did essentially?

Janis had a knack for broken plays though where I havent seen that illustrated much from MVS.

The thing MVS has going for him what he can do, literally no one else on the roster comes close to. His ability to blow the top off the defense is unparalleled. All he has to do is refine the rest of his game to adequate and a guy like that can and will find a roster spot.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis had a knack for broken plays though where I havent seen that illustrated much from MVS.

The thing MVS has going for him what he can do, literally no one else on the roster comes close to. His ability to blow the top off the defense is unparalleled. All he has to do is refine the rest of his game to adequate and a guy like that can and will find a roster spot.

Unparalleled in comparison to the WR's on GB's roster, or in comparison to the rest of the NFL?

Members online

Latest posts