Packers sign Devin Funchess

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yes, finding one or two traits is doable, finding all three (route-running, hands, speed) is much more difficult.

I guess it would depend on how you're defining those traits. For instance, I think that guys like Edwards and Pittman possess all three as long as you're not talking about elite, 4.3 speed.

But if you're talking about 4.40 speed, 6'3" 205 + lb, good hands, and great route running, then in this entire class it's like Mims and that's it.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on how you're defining those traits. For instance, I think that guys like Edwards and Pittman possess all three as long as you're not talking about elite, 4.3 speed.

But if you're talking about 4.40 speed, 6'3" 205 + lb, good hands, and great route running, then in this entire class it's like Mims and that's it.

I could be wrong but I think Pittman and Edwards were about Davante speeds. Plenty fast but more intermediate threats than deep threats.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think Pittman and Edwards were about Davante speeds. Plenty fast but more intermediate threats than deep threats.

Edwards did not run. Pittman ran a 4.52.

But this continues to beg the questions-- what do you mean by these traits?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Edwards did not run. Pittman ran a 4.52.

But this continues to beg the questions-- what do you mean by these traits?

The Packers do not have a reliable, deep threat WR. They have Adams, who is amazing at short/intermediate routes, and then Lazard/Funchess who are basically small TEs. Having a reliable receiver that defenses have to fear going deep would help open this offense (or any offense) up a LOT. That's all I'm trying to say.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think many would argue against the fact that the Packers needed a big upgrade at WR and TE over what we saw last season, have they done that yet? No, not IMO. Will adding Funchess, hopeful development of some of the younger guys and adding a high pick rookie be enough to make a difference, I hope so, but I am not betting on it.

I don't consider that the Packers have adequately improved the receiving corps by solely signing Funchess this offseason.

Unfortunately there aren't many options available in free agency or via trade to upgrade the position at this point leaving the draft as the best chance to get it done.

The interesting part about production VS impactful. A rookie WR could put up decent stats, lets say 60/800/4, which seems nice and productive for a rookie. But if we aren't getting much out of the TE position or any other WR not named Adams, I don't know just how impactful those stats would be.

Well, if a rookie receiver puts up numbers like that he would have had a bigger impact than any other receiver than Adams last season. That would definitely be an improvement. It's true that doesn't automatically result in the team being better though.

There are really good WR prospects of all shapes and styles pretty deep into this class. If speed is what you wanted after the top tier of WR, you could certainly still find it.

The Packers should first and foremost be interested in adding an excellent route runner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers should first and foremost be interested in adding an excellent route runner.

See, I think with the exception of these big slot, pseudo TE types (Lazard, Funchess), they should be interested in getting the best prospects they can, because they have a number of skill sets that they need to add to the receiver corps. So I am not really interested in Chase Claypool or Collin Johnson, but beyond that I think they should be wide open.

A guy who is a route-runner first and foremost would be great, but those guys aren't super numerous at the high end of the class. They could potentially add one in the middle rounds as a double dip at the position-- Van Jefferson, Kalija Lipscomb, K.J. Hill.

But they also have a serious need for some speed and play-making ability for the screen game. I would actually argue that it's that type of receiver that they missed most desperately in 2019 and that they need to add most urgently-- Aiyuk, Reagor, Shenault, Duvernay, Gibson, Bowden, etc.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers do not have a reliable, deep threat WR. They have Adams, who is amazing at short/intermediate routes, and then Lazard/Funchess who are basically small TEs. Having a reliable receiver that defenses have to fear going deep would help open this offense (or any offense) up a LOT. That's all I'm trying to say.

And I agree with that. But I would also add that they need someone who is a threat with the ball in his hands in the screen game. If this passing offense has a characteristic that sets it off as unique, it's Petals' penchant for the screen game and YAC opportunities.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I agree with that. But I would also add that they need someone who is a threat with the ball in his hands in the screen game. If this passing offense has a characteristic that sets it off as unique, it's Petals' penchant for the screen game and YAC opportunities.

I would love for the screen game to be used more often and Aaron Jones, Davante Adams would be terrific in that aspect, especially if safeties had to play deep to respect a reliable deep threat. Outside of that, a YAC guy would be very nice to draft at WR.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would love for the screen game to be used more often and Aaron Jones, Davante Adams would be terrific in that aspect, especially if safeties had to play deep to respect a reliable deep threat. Outside of that, a YAC guy would be very nice to draft at WR.

Jones already is terrific in that role. Adams is just ok. That's not really his skill-set. He was 30th last year among WR's in YAC/reception. I'd like someone with the explosive movement skills to take the ball upfield a lot faster than anyone currently on the roster can.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems a good threat in redzone. In his peak 2017 season, he was 28th in yards but 8th in TDs.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great, it proves a lot of people regurgitate the same article over and over and over and think it means more. Outside of a handful or less of plays every couple games where Rodgers wasn't perfect, it's mostly garbage journalism looking for controversy and clicks. His "trust" issues are as made up as this drum people still like to beat. AFTER Adams came back, how many times was Lazard targeted? and UDFA who didn't even make the initial roster this year.

If you're working and doing what you're supposed to be, you're going to see the ball. History proves that and is well documented.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. Every single damn game there are several plays you can point to guys being open for 5-10 yard gains over the middle and instead he holds onto the ball looking for the big play. Go back and watch the second half of the season and instead of focusing your attention just on where the ball is, start looking at who is and isn't open. And BTW, it's not "one article." It's a lot of articles from national to local level.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. Every single damn game there are several plays you can point to guys being open for 5-10 yard gains over the middle and instead he holds onto the ball looking for the big play. Go back and watch the second half of the season and instead of focusing your attention just on where the ball is, start looking at who is and isn't open. And BTW, it's not "one article." It's a lot of articles from national to local level.
I watch and it is lots of articles all using the same stuff. That's the very definition of regurgitation.

I'm sure there are probably a couple plays where it was obvious he "should have" gone somewhere sooner with a ball. Though I saw enough regurgitated examples of a Jimmy Graham type play on a 3rd and 10 where he's in a 2 yard route and people are furious he didn't throw it to the slowest most unathletic guy on the field with a LB'er right behind him as their "proof".

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If you're looking, you would find examples of QB's not hitting open receivers on every team in every game.

Rodgers needs to clean that up, and the hope is that comfort in the offense will help him do just that.

But the idea that he is abnormally hesitant to trust receivers is indefensible. Over the course of his career, if guys are good at all, he will throw them the football, even if they're new and even if they lack pedigree.

Aaron Rodgers is the only reason why anyone knows Geronimo Allison and Jake Kumerow's names. Those guys suck, relative to this level. But he trusted them enough to give them targets as nobodies. We just saw him give targets to Lazard. Until MVS proved that he wasn't up to the challenge, he was actually getting targeted as much as Adams.

This is a ******** narrative without any basis in reality.

D

Deleted member 6794

Does Rodgers miss open receivers??? Absolutely.

Anybody suggesting that was the main reason for the passing game struggling last season didn't pay close attention though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts