Packers sign Devin Funchess

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dang, thanks for the intel.

I was hoping we wouldn't sign a FA WR and resign Tramon & Ervin though, hope that's still possible.

Do you happen to know what we signed him for?

H

HardRightEdge

Two recurring themes in one player:

A big body WR, a carryover theme from last two years. An injury reclamation bet as with the two top FAs signed this year. I presume his contract is not a needle-mover.

Reaction score
perfect. It seems the strategy is going after value contracts (stretching the cap $) by signing players who are coming off injury. Also, Devin's recent snap count is low so he shouldn't kill the compensatory offsets next season. Nice job Gutey!!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I hadn't really considered him a fit just because skill set wise he seems redundant to Allen Lazard to me.

However, he's a professional NFL WR that the Packers are doubtlessly getting at a discount. Lazard can compete with him for that role in the offense, and they will have better depth than they did with guys like Allison and Kumerow.

Caught 107 balls for 1,389 yards and 12 touchdowns in the two season (30 games) prior to last season. In this crappy FA wide receiver class, that's pretty respectable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never broke him down but did mention him awhile back.

I like it. Professional, veteran and upside if healthy should IMO worst case give us a true dependable #3...best case #2.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was actually really impressive in 2017 and solid in 2018. Will be interesting to see how he plays in GB. He signed a 1 year 10 million dollar deal last year with the colts but broke his clavicle game one. This is a sneaky good signing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like it! I got my FA Vet WR, thanks Gute!

I actually really liked Funchess coming out of college. He was a solid WR at Michigan. After Carolina drafted him in the 2nd round (good omen for Packers), I pretty much lost track of him.

He will be 26 in May, which is still young. His career ave. yards per catch is pretty impressive (13.8).

He signed with the Colts last year for $10M and only played 36 snaps! Let's hope Gute got him on a 2 year cheap "prove it" deal, with some easy outs.

This sums it up for me.....

This is a sneaky good signing.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it! I got my FA Vet WR, thanks Gute!

I actually really liked Funchess coming out of college. He was a solid WR at Michigan. When Carolina drafted him, I pretty much lost track of him.

He will be 26 in May, which is still young. His career ave. yards per catch is pretty impressive (13.8).

He signed with the Colts last year for $10M and only played 36 snaps! Let's hope Gute got him on a 2 year cheap "prove it" deal, with some easy outs.

I'm as well praying we see it a 2 year deal...shoot I'd rather see a 3 than a 1...but given his age Devin is probably more apt to avoid a 3 and cash in once more.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont want to be the badddd guyy but.. I agree with Kruse on this one https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...how-wr-devin-funchess-fills-need-for-packers/
Coming out of the draft some people saw him as a tight end (I didn't). He plays alot like old age Jimmy Graham. He's 6'4" 230+ but he doesnt play up to it, does poorly in man-man coverage. Not fluid or fast. Lots of focus drops. Seems to be injured every year. He'd probably taking over Grahams spot.

Hes lanky and has the vertical to grab it in redzone. I remember watching Funchess in the dorm rooms doing Jägerbombs lol.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No guarantee Funchess even makes the cut. He's the slowest of the Packer's big-bodied wide receivers and has problems with drops. I'd rather keep Lazard and St Brown over Funchess. He could battle Kumerow for the sixth WR position.
Here is how I see the WR position group
1 Adams
2. High draft pick
3. Lazard
4. St. Brown
5. Low draft pick
6. Kumerow or Funchess

St. Brown is faster and has better hands in my opinion with a higher up side.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Not sure how anyone could have an issue with this signing. As a couple others have alluded to, he could be cut easily. Huge upside signing.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just from reading...a big guy who catches half of the balls thrown to him for about 11 yards. He does seem to be a red zone threat. But I admit I don't really like red zone threats. Prefer to have an all around receiver.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just from reading...a big guy who catches half of the balls thrown to him for about 11 yards. He does seem to be a red zone threat. But I admit I don't really like red zone threats. Prefer to have an all around receiver.

I don't know enough but how much of his catch issue has to do with who is throwing him passes. Cam never has been the most accurate qb. I will say it is concerning though, so are drops

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He was actually really impressive in 2017 and solid in 2018. Will be interesting to see how he plays in GB. He signed a 1 year 10 million dollar deal last year with the colts but broke his clavicle game one. This is a sneaky good signing.

Interestingly, he was actually basically the same player in 2018.

2017, playing 70-90% of the snaps on 16 games: 63/840/8 (3.9/53/.5 per game)
2018, playing 70-90% of the snaps for 10 games: 41/516/3 (4.1/51.6/.3 per game)

Had he played a full season again, he was on pace for 66/823/5-- very similar to 2017.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's pretty meh, but he's definitely better than Allison, and probably better than Kumerow.

I'd be pretty shocked if he doesn't make the roster. I mean, they're not just throwing money away at this point.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know enough but how much of his catch issue has to do with who is throwing him passes. Cam never has been the most accurate qb. I will say it is concerning though, so are drops
Sure, a valid point. Cam was/is inconsistent. (loved his commercial with the little kid though..."and I'll be your Mom's favorite player." My favorite. I never got tired of it.
Anyway, I looked up Jordy and he was 60 to 70% throughout his career. I looked up Greg Olsen too and when he was with Cam and he was catching quite a few, he was in the 60s. I think the QB has to have a lot to do with it. But also your ability to get open and of course, hands. I did not read anything about his hands though.

H

HardRightEdge

He's pretty meh, but he's definitely better than Allison, and probably better than Kumerow.

I'd be pretty shocked if he doesn't make the roster. I mean, they're not just throwing money away at this point.
We need to see contract terms first to know if any money would be thrown away. The contract will be an expression of confidence or lack thereof. The more dead cap they put in it the more likely he's not in it just to compete. No guarantees? Then we'll see how the competition develops.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We need to see contract terms first to know if any money would be thrown away. The contract will be an expression of confidence or lack thereof. The more dead cap they put in it the more likely he's not in it just to compete. No guarantees? Then we'll see how the competition develops.

Fully agree and the $ will be very interesting considering he signed for $10M last year with the Colts and went down for the season after only 38 snaps. I think the only disappointing thing for me with this signing is it seems that he is a repeat of what they already have, big bodied WR's and not a slot receiver. Which maybe they will try to address via the draft. The good news, I think his NFL resume is more impressive than everyone but Adams. What he will bring is healthy competition from Lazard, MVS, ESB and Kumerow for what might be only 4 spots for 5 guys to fight over.

Just predicting, with a high picked rookie WR, how the WR group will look in priority of making the final 53.
  1. Adams
  2. Rookie High pick
  3. Lazard
  4. Funchess
  5. MVS
  6. ESB
  7. Kumerow

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will be at least our wr3 next year if healthy. Helps our depth and gives us a big target in the red zone. Though all our receivers are big targets.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I was hoping more for Demarcus Robinson, but Im happy with Funchess. It will be interesting to see what his cap hit is. Now if we can add in a veteran DLman I'd still call this FA period a success (given the limited resources that we had).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fully agree and the $ will be very interesting considering he signed for $10M last year with the Colts and went down for the season after only 38 snaps. I think the only disappointing thing for me with this signing is it seems that he is a repeat of what they already have, big bodied WR's and not a slot receiver. Which maybe they will try to address via the draft. The good news, I think his NFL resume is more impressive than everyone but Adams. What he will bring is healthy competition from Lazard, MVS, ESB and Kumerow for what might be only 4 spots for 5 guys to fight over.

Just predicting, with a high picked rookie WR, how the WR group will look in priority of making the final 53.
  1. Adams
  2. Rookie High pick
  3. Lazard
  4. Funchess
  5. MVS
  6. ESB
  7. Kumerow

My prediction would lie similar...however I believe Begelton beats out Kumerow for sure and could push MVS/ESB as well. I also wonder if a mid/late round speed burner that shows more promise could push MVS's role out.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. Adams
  2. Rookie High pick
  3. Lazard
  4. Funchess
  5. MVS
  6. ESB
  7. Kumerow

Kumerow can kick rocks.

HE ADDS NOTHING.

Members online

Latest posts