Packers ink Peppers

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember one negotiation in Green Bay with a free agent with whom we agreed on a contract late one night.

Overnight, another team pulled the player off a flight to Green Bay and he signed with them.

We were livid and I promised the agent we would never do business with him again. However, a couple years later that agent had a player we liked.

I had to swallow my pride and contact him; it’s all about the players. Nevertheless, reputations last and certain agents—and teams—are known as untrustworthy. It’s all part of the business of football.

Very telling quote from Andrew..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
shall we revisit this thread?

A few here (myself too) wasnt really sold on Peppers....Some even said it was a desperate move..

Just goes to show we should stick to posting and not trying to play GM

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson doesn't pull the trigger in FA often, but when he does, it's worked out well for the Packers (Pickett, Woodson). I've said it before. The Packers are benefiting from a gifted player on the downside of their career that sees a genuine opportunity to win a Super Bowl. In a bit of irony, I also think Peppers has filled the veteran leadership void left when we let Woodson go a couple of years ago. Getting hot at the right time was certainly instrumental in winning the Super Bowl in 2010, but I also credit Woodson's leadership during the stretch run. There's still a lot of football to be played this year, but I like the looks of this team.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had to look through to see what my opinion was, but apparently I didn't leave one. I think that I was indifferent. I was happy that TT brought in a veteran to solidify a position of need and that it wasn't a first-day blockbuster contract. When these second tier FA contracts work out you're a genius. When they don't you haven't lost much. That's why TT looks for them. He is risk adverse for better or worse

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it was wrong to be skeptical but TT has a pretty good track record of making us look foolish when we call him out on signing someone.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I thought it was a great move and posted it was a great move and that he was going to be used differently to better utilize his talents and pro-long his career as an impact player like the Cardinals did with John Abraham. Peppers has exceeded what my expectations were though.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that he gave a great and inspirational and rousing speech before the first kickoff agains Da Bears at Lambeau.
I would love to watch that.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
shall we revisit this thread?

A few here (myself too) wasnt really sold on Peppers....Some even said it was a desperate move..

Just goes to show we should stick to posting and not trying to play GM

I just re-read my original post and I would have preferred Allen over Peppers, at the time. As usual, I'm awfully happy to be wrong, when Ted Thompson is right.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't mention Reggie in the same sentence as Peppers as IVO will not have it.
Whether or not you are comparing them or just mentioning him, IVO does not like it.

You still think Peppers shouldnt be mentioned in same sentence as Reggie White? After 2 Ints retunred for a touchdown. AND!!! what seems to be a COMPLETE turn around of the defense from embarassing under achievements to a dominant scary force on its own. and getting better every game. From Boyd, and Guion really stepping it up. To the high picks like Perry, Neal, Hawk, Mathews, Hayward. All stepped up and played better. Others as well on defense. Every level of our defense is doing what they are suposed to.
Maybe its all just because we are all healthy for once??? As much as thats true. I have to speculate that a injury record like Peppers Hall of Fame career, comes from a work ethic, and a certain control of his environment. A zen. From simply leading by example, and stopping injury before it happens, I think Peppers has been great. To clarify my speculation. I want to bring up a parallel in nature. In Africa all the adult elephants were poached leaving a group of young to grow up without leadership passed down through time. They became rogue group and terrorized citys at night. Total destruction.... Now You get a bunch of young guys on our defense,and they dont know how to let up. ego's and testoserone running wild. Peppers surely brings a coolness. Not many people can come in and even the studs bow down without a word said. He's not just a dominant buck. He's the king of the forrest. He understands practice is to learn, not to hurt yourself and your team mates. Reputations are made in consistancy, toughness, knowledge, and in game situations when it it counts. This isnt pre-season, they already won their spot. Now its about everyone playing together and staying healthy. WE COULD NOT STAY HEALTHY! And at times had to play with one arm behind their back because they couldnt play together either. In my opinion the tallent is obviously here. Our atmosphere, and leadership was not getting it done. Peppers comes out on top many more times than not. Our other young beastly men are doing a good job imitating him is all Im saying. Now that we are healthier and playing better, Capers is able to open up the playbook.
This is going to be fun to watch

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also want to add that when I mentioned Mathews moving to our weakness at ILB. Letting Perry and Neal stay on the field more together. Will fix our problem and get the talent on the field where it needs to be.

I was ridiculed relentlessly.... As with many of my out of the box predictions and advice. I was right. This is awesome move my Capers. Mathews isnt just ILB, but roams, and all the action is in the middle. He will be great doing this.

Other predictions... Burnett will soon evolve into a pro-bowler. Happening now.

Lindsley will steal the Center job and not give it up. Done deal.

Pennel stepping in and threatening Guion, will spur the big boys and cause a ripple effect through the defense. Thats exactly what happened. Now Guion and a healthy Boyd are doing what we thought they would do (and werent doing)

Adams will take Boykins spot early, and will work to #1 Wr by year 5... Adams will be the next generation Jordy Nelson is my thought. Cobb will possibly price himself out of Greenbay with our defense emerging. We cant ignore the defense anymore. We can find more WRs for Rodgers...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I still dont think Peppers should be mentioned in the same sentence as Reggie. I also think anyone who does is either too young to know better or ignorant of Reggie's career.

I will say I believe Dom is the 1st D cord to use correctly and get the most out of him. (Yes I know its not popular here to sing doms praises, even though he has done some great things with certain players)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more ivo610 on all accounts.

White was, as his nickname indicated, the minister of the defense. He was its heart, its inspiration, and its best player. Moments such as his game stopping back-to-back sacks of John Elway's attempted-comeback in 1993 made him immortal. Peppers is playing great but hasn't gotten anywhere near White's level...especially after only part of one season. Playing well and being a game-changer are keys. Here is a parting quote from Reggie himself after single-handedly beating Elway, "Great players have to come up with great plays," said White, who finished with three sacks.

Capers is much maligned, but still good. As Packers defensive coordinator, I would have been sent out on a rail long ago! What makes this Matthews move so good, is that it gives Capers what **** LeBeau had in Pittsburgh - a roaming terror machine like Troy Polamalu. That roving superstar creates havoc for offenses and makes D-coordinators look smart.

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also want to add that when I mentioned Mathews moving to our weakness at ILB. Letting Perry and Neal stay on the field more together. Will fix our problem and get the talent on the field where it needs to be.

I was ridiculed relentlessly.... As with many of my out of the box predictions and advice. I was right. This is awesome move my Capers. Mathews isnt just ILB, but roams, and all the action is in the middle. He will be great doing this.

Other predictions... Burnett will soon evolve into a pro-bowler. Happening now.

Lindsley will steal the Center job and not give it up. Done deal.

Pennel stepping in and threatening Guion, will spur the big boys and cause a ripple effect through the defense. Thats exactly what happened. Now Guion and a healthy Boyd are doing what we thought they would do (and werent doing)

Adams will take Boykins spot early, and will work to #1 Wr by year 5... Adams will be the next generation Jordy Nelson is my thought. Cobb will possibly price himself out of Greenbay with our defense emerging. We cant ignore the defense anymore. We can find more WRs for Rodgers...

Whoa buddy, don't pat yourself on the back too hard there.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoa buddy, don't pat yourself on the back too hard there.

Honestly...I don't blame him one bit. I remember when Brent Favfer was still around and his supporters would absolutely ridicule anyone that would accurately predict Brentsds endless gag jobs. With every single big game he blew in his last years and we were proven correct time and again, you think the brendter Fvefer apologists admitted they were wrong? Ohhhhh He## no! To this day none of them have. They just kind of shrunk into the woodwork and came back and took up random other off base non informed causes/opinions.:rolleyes:;)

Go back and read some of the Aaron Rodgers Bretdt Favfere threads and you'll see some of the greatest minds in action! :roflmao: I welcome any an all old threads on Rodgers get re-posted. Somebody get on that! lol

The Ted Thompsom haters. When they posted that stat on TV as the Pack was laying its second major beat down on the Bears... the stat about the Packers and Bears differences on how the rosters were built. Did you notice how the Ted haters didn't have a word to say about that? Again... nothing to see hear people. :whistling: Move on! :cautious::whistling: Nothing to see here! :roflmao::roflmao::cool:

Go back and read some of the old threads on TT and free agency and how to build a team. Again... you'll notice some of this sites most brilliant are YET AGAIN on the wrong side of that debate as well.

So ya...plenty of whacked opinions and guys blasting those that were 110% right on these things. ...and the experts just keep telling everyone else how it is.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly...I don't blame him one bit. I remember when Brent Favfer was still around and his supporters would absolutely ridicule anyone that would accurately predict Brentsds endless gag jobs. With every single big game he blew in his last years and we were proven correct time and again, you think the brendter Fvefer apologists admitted they were wrong? Ohhhhh He## no! To this day none of them have. They just kind of shrunk into the woodwork and came back and took up random other off base non informed causes/opinions.:rolleyes:;)

Go back and read some of the Aaron Rodgers Bretdt Favfere threads and you'll see some of the greatest minds in action! :roflmao: I welcome any an all old threads on Rodgers get re-posted. Somebody get on that! lol

The Ted Thompsom haters. When they posted that stat on TV as the Pack was laying its second major beat down on the Bears... the stat about the Packers and Bears differences on how the rosters were built. Did you notice how the Ted haters didn't have a word to say about that? Again... nothing to see hear people. :whistling: Move on! :cautious::whistling: Nothing to see here! :roflmao::roflmao::cool:

Go back and read some of the old threads on TT and free agency and how to build a team. Again... you'll notice some of this sites most brilliant are YET AGAIN on the wrong side of that debate as well.

So ya...plenty of whacked opinions and guys blasting those that were 110% right on these things. ...and the experts just keep telling everyone else how it is.
It is rare to find anyone to ever admit when they are wrong on the internet.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone can mention whoever they want in the same sentence but Julius Peppers isn’t as good as Reggie White was. IMO Reggie was better at both rushing the passer and vs. the run.
I also want to add that when I mentioned Mathews moving to our weakness at ILB. Letting Perry and Neal stay on the field more together. Will fix our problem and get the talent on the field where it needs to be. I was ridiculed relentlessly.... As with many of my out of the box predictions and advice.
You don’t mean you were ridiculed here, do you?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any "capologists" out there know what our situation will look like with Peppers and the cap next year? I had assumed unless he played lights out this year, he'd be a one year rental type of player, but he's kinda played lights out. Are we stuck on the hook for that 10 mil or whatever if we keep him around next year, or is there some wiggle room, room for restructuring, etc?

D

Deleted member 6794

Any "capologists" out there know what our situation will look like with Peppers and the cap next year? I had assumed unless he played lights out this year, he'd be a one year rental type of player, but he's kinda played lights out. Are we stuck on the hook for that 10 mil or whatever if we keep him around next year, or is there some wiggle room, room for restructuring, etc?

Peppers would count $12 million against the cap in 2015 under the current contract. The Packers releasing him would result in $5 million dead money.

The Packers can restructure his contract, the $2.5 million in the prorated signing bonus will count against the cap though under all circumstances.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie has his number retired by 2 teams. Think about that and the level of play involved for something like that to happen.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Peppers would count $12 million against the cap in 2015 under the current contract. The Packers releasing him would result in $5 million dead money.

The Packers can restructure his contract, the $2.5 million in the prorated signing bonus will count against the cap though under all circumstances.
So if $5m is already sunk whether he plays or not, to get him back would in actuality be a $7m cap hit.

upon further review it'd be a $9.5m hit as $2.5m was accelerated forward from the following year.

Members online

Latest posts