Packers have an overrated defense?

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the season first started i was expecting to see us sitting at the top 7 on defense. So did alot of other people and newscasters. Every week we keep getting worse and worse on defense. We now have dropped below average stats after the Bears game. I understand what really matters is that we only allow 18.5 points a game, but does it show something that is a major concern? Every time we grab a lead our defense seems to play a little soft. We dont blitz nearly enough and the playmakers such as Kampman and Woodson have done poorly. Are we not supposed to get better down the streach? Maybe on the bye week we can address some issues. What does everyone think about our defense as of late ?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the season first started i was expecting to see us sitting at the top 7 on defense. So did alot of other people and newscasters. Every week we keep getting worse and worse on defense. We now have dropped below average stats after the Bears game. I understand what really matters is that we only allow 18.5 points a game, but does it show something that is a major concern? Every time we grab a lead our defense seems to play a little soft. We dont blitz nearly enough and the playmakers such as Kampman and Woodson have done poorly. Are we not supposed to get better down the streach? Maybe on the bye week we can address some issues. What does everyone think about our defense as of late ?

I think other teams are learning to block our defense better.

Also, the play calling has been a bit predictable. Packers play a bend-but-don't-break kind of defense so they seem to toughen up in the red zone and limit their losses. It works when the Offense doesn't make too many mistakes.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weren't we ranked 30th or so in our pass defence a couple years back? I think we are making improvements, but our secondary still needs to come together. Our run defence is pretty impressive and I think they should be a top 5 in the league this year.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heres how we rank:

Sacks: 11th
Interceptions: tied 10th
Rushing ypg: 14th
Passing ypg: 23rd
Points against: 12th
Time of possession: 15th
3rd down percentage: 6th
Yards per game: 17th

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been confused the last few weeks, because people keep saying we have one of the top defenses in the league, and I just haven't seen that. We're still young and growing, but 18.5 points is still enough to lose games. Our potential is huge, but I don't think we're there yet. Peterson had his way against us during the Vikings game. Our defense got ran over in the second half of the Bears game. When Brian Griese can run an offense down the field with no problems, you know something's not right.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been confused the last few weeks, because people keep saying we have one of the top defenses in the league, and I just haven't seen that. We're still young and growing, but 18.5 points is still enough to lose games. Our potential is huge, but I don't think we're there yet. Peterson had his way against us during the Vikings game. Our defense got ran over in the second half of the Bears game. When Brian Griese can run an offense down the field with no problems, you know something's not right.

Unfortunately with no running game our D is on the field for way too long. The Bears game especially it seems we were playing defence for the final 2 quarters.

I like the 3rd down percentage: 6th stat.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our defense has been good enough to win 4 games and lose one. That is good enough for me! But think about this..Our offense hasn't been helping out our defense out. Our D in past weeks has made some key stops. Even in the Bear game. But our offense just gives the ball right back and puts our D on the field again. I don't put any blame on our defense for getting worse as the season progresses. Considering there out there for most of the time, and they do there part! But there is only so much they can do!!

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have talent on D, but the scheme will somewhat limit how high they can go statistically. This defense does not utilize alot of blitz packages and is kind of a bend but don't break philosophy. Unless we can start creating turnovers and getting pressure with our front 4 on a consistent basis, this is about what can be expected(10-15 ranking).

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our D does look great at times and as improved but teams can take advantage of us by passing as evidenced through being 23rd against the pass after five games. The teams who like to air it, will give us problems.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nathaniel said:

Unfortunately with no running game our D is on the field for way too long. The Bears game especially it seems we were playing defence for the final 2 quarters.

That is very true. Our defense was on the field for what seemed like hours in the 2nd half.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not overrated. I wouldn't call it that unless you were expecting an elite defense. It's certainly a playoff caliber defense and the best defense we've had since the days of Fritz Shurmur.

In the NFC it's one of the best but I'm not ready to put it up there with the likes of Baltimore.

EDIT: One thing it needs to get better at is forcing turnovers.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is one thing i have mentioned before. It seems when our offense scores, our defense goes soft and almost always seems to let the other team back in it. I don't know if it's changing calls because we are ahead, or what. If that the case, i would say they should stick with what was working until it stops working. Don't change what you were doing that got you the lead in the first place.
And Porky.........thats how i feel too. We arn't forcing many fumbles or making INTS. Those can really change a game. (As we saw against the bears)

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our defense needs to pick it up.

We just played two lousy offensive teams especially when you compare what they have to what we will have to face in playoff teams later(if we intend to get there).

I know our offense did not help the "D" in the second half Sunday but I saw some sloppy play out there regardless.

I'm watching LB's getting tangled up inside getting caught in places they should not be almost as if they are guessing at times. On two or three TD's Sunday guys were just flat out of position and it appeared they obviously took it upon themselves to get outside of where they were supposed to be.

Last year the defense was challenged(to put it lightly) after we got creamed by NE. All MM said was they needed to be more fundamentally and assignment sound. He didn't panic about coaches or personnel, just go out and do your damn job.

If they wouldn't have looked past doing that on Sunday we would have won that game. No way the Bears should EVER score 27 points against this team.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's keep in mind that some of those points came compliments of Brett Favre to Brian Urlacher in the Chicago game.

Our stats are not at all representative of the defenses performance in that, for several games, San Diego and Philly particularly, and Minny to a lesser extent, our defense was shadowing "do everything" backs such as Tomlinson, Westbrook and Peterson. In stopping, or minimizing, the greatest threats on the field, we do leave other players open to succeed...and they have to some extent.

IO think when everything is said and done, we have a top 7 or 8 defense by the end of the year.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's something I find kind of interesting-The Packers have gotten one pick in every game that they play. A couple of big days and this D is gonna be awesome statistically.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is a 'bend-don't break philosophy'? Isn't our defense trying to get off the field as soon as possible? Threee and out, or a TO?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's keep in mind that some of those points came compliments of Brett Favre to Brian Urlacher in the Chicago game.

Sorry digs,

But that interception does not change the fact that our Pass yardage allowed over FIVE games is 23rd in the NFL.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have been a very clutch defense (sans the Clark TD last week). From late drive INT's or stopping 3rd down, that is where we have been the best. Now we just need to have that intensity throughout the game.

There has only been one rushing TD allowed if im not mistaken. Our rushing defense has been good, especially considering who we've gone up against. I agree with whoever said more blitzing. Our front four have gotten decent pressure, and that extra LB would put us over the top. Although the problem with that is, that takes that LB off the TE, a position that has killed us.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with whoever said more blitzing. Our front four have gotten decent pressure, and that extra LB would put us over the top. Although the problem with that is, that takes that LB off the TE, a position that has killed us.

Thanks, I believe that was me. :D

We have sent that LB from time to time, but I think they're alot of delayed, or hidden LB blitzes. You see them weaving through traffic to try to get to the QB, but by the time they get close, the RB or extra lineman has found them and slides over to stop up the lane. I have no idea how to fix stuff like that, but I think sending overloads to one side would work.

Maybe its just a coordinator having to learn the wrinkles of a scheme that he didn't invent. :shrug:

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion is based on a very high standard and is in regard to the type of D we have to see if we are going deep.

WHEN we get to the playoffs we are going to see offenses that smoke the Bears and Vikes. Pure and simple.

Do we have a good defense? Yes

Does it have to get better. Yes.

I saw the only player the Vikes had (Peterson) that could hurt us and he did. I saw the only part of the offense Chicago had (TE) that could hurt us and we let them hurt us as well.

When we play teams of playoff caliber they will have many more weapons than these last two teams had.

I believe we have an "A" game and I don't believe we have seen it yet which is good news because we will need to be better than we have been when (if) we get to the playoffs and see Cowboys, Patriots, or, Colts, running around out there.

Because those team make offenses like the Bears and Vikes have look European league to me.

Reaction score
New Journal Sentinel writer Greg Bedard also covered the Dolphins D under Jim Bates when Bates was Miami's DC.

He said this scheme doesn't blitz much, because it is "scared to death of giving up the big play".

He basically said that Sanders will rely on the front 4 to generate the pass-rush, and that having 11 D-linemen is geared at keeping the D-line fresh throughout the season.

I expect our D to improve, because they are still learning to play as a unit and there have been injuries hampering the starters.

But I don't expect more blitzing out of Sanders. He's not that type of guy it would seem.

And I don't think the D is overrated. I can't remember the last time I didn't mind having the D our there with the game on the line. Porky said it best: this is the best D we've had since FS.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be nice to see some more blitzes, though. Getting more pressure on the Quarterback will lead to more turnovers and stupid plays on his part.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts